PDA

View Full Version : "We"

Raisor
05-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Pet peeve time!

I see it alot here, and I hear it all the time also (heck, I've said it myself on occasion, though I try not to): Fans saying "we" when it comes to their favorite team: "we have to beat the Astros tonight" "we really pulled that off". I heard a great line about this recently: if you don't shower with the team, you aren't part of "we".

It annoys me when I see/hear it, and it REALLY annoys me when it slips out of my mouth.

Just sayin

Edit to include: By the way, the only one here on Redszone that can probably say "we" would be Creek, since from what I hear she DOES shower with the team, or at least with Adam. Not to start any rumors or anything.
:evil:

:RedinDC:

Cedric
05-23-2004, 10:43 PM
It's our team. Without us MLB is just another rec league sport.

creek14
05-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Life with the GF must be good if that's all you can find to complain about. ;)

Raisor
05-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Life with the GF must be good if that's all you can find to complain about. ;)

Creek, check out the edit to the original post, I added that just for you (and before you replied!)

:mhcky21:

Unassisted
05-23-2004, 10:50 PM
You must been a big fan of Harry Caray. Oui? ;)

creek14
05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Creek, check out the edit to the original post, I added that just for you (and before you replied!)

:mhcky21:
Out Adam and me, if you must...

But just don't give up any of our (Raisor/creek) little secrets. :roll:

Playadlc
05-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I think it's great when fans say we in reference to their team. If I was a player I would think it's great as well.

Raisor
05-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Out Adam and me, if you must...

But just don't give up any of our (Raisor/creek) little secrets. :roll:

I always knew you were into guys with big slide rules.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/sliderules/updated/dc140t.jpg

MWM
05-23-2004, 11:03 PM
"We" doesn't bother me at all. I've lived in Cincinnati most of my life and i have invested so much emotion and money into the town's baseball franchise that when they do well or do poorly, it feels a little personal to me.

Ed Otten
05-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Actually, the tendency for people to say "we" when referring to their team is a studied social psychological principle called BIRG-ing, meaning "Basking in Reflected Glory". It tends to only occur when the team wins. For example "We won today". When the team loses, people separate themselves from the team, (E.g. "They lost yesterday"). That is called CORF-ing ("Cutting Off Reflected Failure"). A colleague and friend of mine at Miami University studied these ideas. Pretty interesting stuff. He also found that after a win, people were more likely to wear team related apparel the next day, such as to classes or work. If the team lost, the amount of team apparel worn went down.

Ed Otten

RosieRed
05-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Well Ed, if that's the case ... then here's hoping we can indulge in a lot more BIRG-ing this year!

:GAC:

(To clarify: The "we" used above refers to we Redszoners. ;) )

MWM
05-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Let's go on a BIRG binge.

traderumor
05-23-2004, 11:39 PM
Every time I hear "we" around here my wife's telling me "we're" pregnant again.

kxblue
05-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Without us there would be no stadium, there would be no money, and there would be no salaries. We are the most important thing to profesional athletics, because without us, they are simply recreational athletes.

Yachtzee
05-23-2004, 11:56 PM

How long until she start's referring to "your" child? :)

Unassisted
05-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Ed Otten, with interesting tidbits like that, you should be posting more than bimonthly! ;)

If your colleague's work is published in an online journal somewhere, please do post a link. I love "sports and its impact on society" reading.

Johnny Footstool
05-24-2004, 12:14 AM
I'm with you on this one, Raisor. Although it doesn't bother me when other people use "we," I personally make it a point to never use it. I'm a spectator -- I don't have anything to do with the team's success or failure.

Reds1
05-24-2004, 12:15 AM
We Rock! Go Reds! :evil:

4256 Hits
05-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Rasior I feel the exact same way but I do my best to not let it bother me when I see it on the internet but if someone says it to me I usually give them a hard time by asking what postion to they play.

KronoRed
05-24-2004, 12:17 AM
How long until she start's referring to "your" child? :)

Same rules applys to kids and sports teams "WE" when they win, and "The Reds" when they lose ;)

Bill
05-24-2004, 12:31 AM
Over time a team you support becomes part of your collective identity. I don't buy the basking in reflected glory as the cause for it. Undoubtedly it occurs within circumstance since one would want to associate with a winner if ones identifies with them generally but less so in a losing cause. Yet if this were the main force behind "we" than losing teams would never be referred to as we by their fans. You would never hear "we suck" which we all have seen often on this board or we need some pitching after a loss. I think it merely represents identification with a team one supports, win or lose. I see it as a measure of one's support actually and find no fault with it, if not some humor.

Undoubtedly the winning team t-shirt phenomenon is well recognized as Miami t shirt producers surely opted to make fewer we're number 2 Ts than the buck national champions Ts. Again, such behavior could be argued as BIRG or if they internalize the identificiation with the team, might it be merely basking in joy? In any event, do such studies not border on being esoteric (my pet peeve)?

tremere
05-24-2004, 01:22 AM

Without us MLB would just have a lot less money, and maybe it could start over again (as in replacing numbskulls like Selig) and get the game back to where it used to be. Baseball is baseball, MLB is just a representative of it.

missionhockey21
05-24-2004, 01:23 AM
I agree with Bill, well said.

SantaClaussen
05-24-2004, 04:24 AM
I must be weird. I say we even when we lose. Does that mean I have a bad self-image or something? Hmmm. I prefer when we win of course. I feel better about us then (me n the boys). I take "we" to collectively identify me not so much as part of the team, per se, but as part of the collective group of fans who support the team - and that includes the players as the engine that drives the whole bus, the manager and front office as the (lousy, wonderful - depending on how we are doing) mechanics who keep it running, and we fans as the wheels. That's why I like the "Cardinal Nation" kind of thing - it embraces the idea that a whole bunch of people from all over are involved. Some play, some conspire and some pay but it takes all parts to be able to say "we". And I agree with Playadlc, I think the players like it when fans identify themselves with the team.

creek14
05-24-2004, 07:04 AM
I don't have anything to do with the team's success or failure.
Yes you do.

John Allen said so when he gave the rationale for not spending as much money. Remember, "the attendance is down so blah blah blah."

Hey everyone, it's Johnny's fault we didn't get a number 1.

TeamCasey
05-24-2004, 07:13 AM
I'm just happy that we're doing wicked awesome right now! :)

Krusty
05-24-2004, 07:55 AM
In reference to all my sports teams, I use the word "we". Without the fans, what do you have left?

37 years I have followed the Reds. More years than being married to my wife. More years than any job I ever worked. I can't think of the countless pets that I had in that time period.

This is a commitment....just like marriage. So using the word "we" is appropriate in my eyes.

bucksfan
05-24-2004, 09:41 AM
I use "we" without shame when referring to Reds and Buckeyes. Especially when talking about the Buckeyes, as I AM a Buckeye.... but the Reds too. They were my first sports team I ever followed. And others above are right - there are no pro sports w/out fans.

Roy Tucker
05-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Somehow, to say we had a BIRG or a CORF day sounds like my cat trying to heave up a hairball.

Very interesting stuff...

Redsland
05-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Didn't the Titanic have a BIRG day?

gm
05-24-2004, 11:25 AM
This just in from the Pacific NW...there's a lot fewer Mariner's fans saying "we" these days :mhcky21:

jmcclain19
05-24-2004, 11:37 AM
I use "we" without shame when referring to Reds and Buckeyes. Especially when talking about the Buckeyes, as I AM a Buckeye.... but the Reds too. They were my first sports team I ever followed. And others above are right - there are no pro sports w/out fans.

I agree on this in some parts.

I've always tried to shy away from using "we" in a pro sense terms.

I've never been attached to an NHL or an NFL team, so the ability to watch the sport for the sake of the sport, and not because I pull for any specific team.

I've thought of the Reds as my team, both because I have pulled for them my entire life but because of the fact that outside of my family, I'm the only Reds fan I know.

But there has always been that sense of detachment of myself from men who play a game that I pay for.

But I make no seperation when it comes to my school. I am an Arizona Wildcat and will be for the rest of my days. Therefore the use of we is entirely appropriate.

Puffy
05-24-2004, 12:25 PM
This happens to be of my pet peeves as well, so I am with Raisor on this one. Everytime I see someone do it I want to say something smart ass, but I try to keep it to myself.

Its really an interesting phenomenon, for instance I am a big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - saw every episode at least three times. Yet when they saved the world or killed an evil demon I never said "We really had trouble with that demon," or "That was a big victory for us tonight."

Just to reflect a little - you do not play for the Reds. You do not work for the Reds. It is not "we"

I guess in the grand scheme of things this is a minor thing, but it still is annoying - and yes I have done it and caught myself and i mock myself relentlessly for those indiscretions!

Ed Otten
05-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Hey everybody,
Here are some websites with some more information about BIRG-ing and CORF-ing, if any of you are interested:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,405011836,00.html

http://www.units.muohio.edu/psybersite/fans/bc.shtml

And here is a link to the paper that discusses some research about the phenomena:

http://www.users.muohio.edu/ottenew/sportspsych.pdf

Edit: Another paper examining the use of message boards in sports:

http://www.users.muohio.edu/ottenew/sportsnet.pdf

And just to make sure the right people get there due recognition, Christian End, who wrote the paper and was in the two interviews, is the expert. I most certainly, am not. Most of my knowledge of this and sports psychology in general is directly due to late night drunken conversations with people much more in the know than yours truly. Hope you all find it interesting.

Ed Otten

TheManWith3Legs
05-24-2004, 04:51 PM
I also share this pet peeve of using "we" to refer to the Reds. In particular, by bandwagon fans. For example, my wife's sister's boyfriend (whom won't be anything more if my wife has anything to do with it) visits my house occasionally and ,as usual, I'm watching the Reds. He insists to share comments he heard the last game he watched from George Grande. I can't count how many times he talked about Graves setting the Reds record for saves. Blah,blah,blah. Anyway, he uses "we" to make dumbass comments that reflect his "non-Reds" knowledge. For instance, he dared to ask me "do WE (meaning the Reds) have any more weekend home games left this year?" This was two weeks ago. As if the Reds were an NFL team that only played on weekends or a little league team that only plays for two months. Moron.

deltachi8
05-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I guess because I once aspired to be a broadcatser I trained myself earlyon not to say "we" as that drives me nuts in a broadcaster. I still won't say it because I, as a spectator, have absolutely no influence on a particular game.

bucksfan
05-24-2004, 05:16 PM
I can understand speaking strictly and technically about influencing the outcome of a particular game. But the "we" I am talking about is in the larger sense and evelopes the spirit of a community or another group with some commonly shared interests. It's all in how you look at it, I guess. And like jmmclain19, I am less apt to use it when discussing a pro team (altho I still will, I understand the points in that respect somewhat), but as far as college goes, "we" most definitely fits for the Buckeyes and me.

RFS62
05-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Wow, this thread is very enlightening.

The number of people who are actually "irked" by this is very surprising.

On the other hand, it explains a lot.

I think the BIRG and CORF models are more suited to the casual fan.

For the hardcore, even though I know I'm not on the Reds payroll, I have always, since my earliest memories, considered myself to be a part of the extended Reds family.

They always have been and always will be family, in my mind.

This might also explain why some of us get so addled when personal attacks on the players, coaches, and management are tossed around with such impunity. You're talkin' about my family now when you start ragging on these guys.

That doesn't mean I like them all.... *cough* Deion *cough*.... but when they're wearing the wishbone C, they're part of my family.

I want to know about them as people. I want to know about their families. I want to know what kind of men they are. That stuff matters to me.

That doesn't mean I can't judge them objectively. When my first favorite Red, Johnny Edwards, suddenly and inexplicably forgot how to hit, I took it hard, but I understood that some kid from Oklahoma was waiting in the wings ready to move him out. Such is life.

As much as it bugs some of you guys to hear a fan say "we" when referring to the Reds, believe me.... it mystifies psycos like me when you guys see it only as a spreadsheet or a business and ignore so much of the fabric of the game I have loved since I was 6 years old.

Doggie, Little Joe, the Mayor..... these guys are people, and they're family.

listen up
05-24-2004, 09:50 PM
I've noticed a few people in this thread state that they don't like using "we" because the spectators don't have any influence in the game. If that's true then why do teams want home field advantage come playoff time? Sure it's nice to play on a field you're familiar with, but I would bet that if you were to ask the players, they would all say that it helps having the fans behind them screaming like maniacs. Every team in every sport wants home field advantage, it's hard to believe that the fans have no effect on the game. After every World Series, Super Bowl, and NBA Finals, it seems one of the coaches or players always utter the words, "I would like to thank the fans, we couldn't have done it without you."

I'm happy when the Reds win, I'm pissed when the Reds lose, just like the players. I've spent my hard-earned money and cheered my butt off for this team I love, and I will consider myself a part of the Cincinnati Reds as long as I'm around. I think I've earned the right to say "we" when I refer to the team that I've spent a large part of my life cheering on.

Matt700wlw
05-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Guess what

We're winning

RFS62
05-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Guess what

We're winning

Yep,

We won.

:GAC:

Redsland
05-25-2004, 11:31 AM
I wonder who Rickey Hendersen means when he says "we."

:confused:

Johnny Footstool
05-25-2004, 12:32 PM
If that's true then why do teams want home field advantage come playoff time?

So they can sleep at home instead of in some hotel, and so they can bat last. ;)

Of course the crowd support helps a lot, but that doesn't make fans part of the team or the game. I think the "we" people are the ones who get carried away and believe that their $15 ticket (or $1000 season ticket, even) entitles them to become "a part of the game" and run out on the field like idiots. Does your $15 theater ticket entitle you to shout, "You suck, Rizzo!" during a production of "Grease"?

I think the "we" mentality often gets taken too far, and I think it's important to keep that line between "my life" and "the team I support."

I wonder who Rickey Hendersen means when he says "we."
Rickey doesn't use pronouns.

Cedric
05-25-2004, 12:33 PM
We got a big win last night. Honestly I think the people that actually take the time to worry about something so stupid and small are the one's with the problem.

Johnny Footstool
05-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Honestly I think the people that actually take the time to worry about something so stupid and small are the one's with the problem.

It's called a "pet peeve," Cedric. Some people have them. Get over it.

Redsland
05-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Honestly I think the people that actually take the time to worry about something so stupid and small are the one's with the problem.
Yeah, because you clearly have no issues.

Cedric
05-25-2004, 01:01 PM
What's the point of trying to make people feel like idiots because they are diehard fans? I don't see the purpose, it's like you guys are the people in school too cool to admit you love something.

Johnny Footstool
05-25-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm not trying to make anyone feel like an idiot -- unless they run out on the field during a game or something. I'm just explaining why I feel the way I feel.

Chip R
05-25-2004, 03:19 PM
What's the point of trying to make people feel like idiots because they are diehard fans? I don't see the purpose, it's like you guys are the people in school too cool to admit you love something.
What's the point in belittling someone because you just happen to disagree with it? By saying this aren't you as guilty as those who you accuse of making you feel like an idiot?

Bill
05-26-2004, 11:22 PM
They lost! Those bums. They need to get some hitters and pitchers. I'd elaborate, but I've got to go wash my Yankees jersey.

GAC
05-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Just saw this thread. I simply cannot believe that some are annoyed when a fan uses the term "we".

So when someone asks me how the Reds did last night, please explain how it is annoying when I say "we lost" or "we won"? It's simply a term of identification, not responsibility or participation (in the sense of a win or loss). And that's part of being a fan of the game.

So which term will be next? Maybe "my", as in.... "My Reds won last night"?

I wonder how many of you are pulling your hair out when the song "We Are Family" is played at stadiums around MLB? :lol:

Simply absurd.

psycho babble IMO.

lollipopcurve
05-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Great post, RFS62. The emotional connection fans have to their teams is what drives baseball to be the enormous entertainment industry that it is, in my opinion. I *like* that fans use "we." It's communal. It's stadia filled with thousands of people.
It's guys like Joe Nuxhall and Harry Caray, not Brennaman.
Still, it's a matter of taste, and I could see being annoyed if someone uses "we" when it's obvious he or she is a Johnny-come-lately bandwagon fan.

Bill
05-31-2004, 01:50 AM
It strikes me that the "we" hating is a very western, individualistic response. The we haters are advised not move to a collectivist society as members from such societies tend to define themselves in group terms, no I's, but We's. If one gave tests on an individualist-collectivist scale, I imagine those that perceive themselves strongly in individual terms (rather than the groups they are members of) would balk at "we won".

In any event, I would argue that the Reds or any sports team and their fans form a collective as they come together with a common goal in mind. The fans have a less immediate role, but through supporting the team, they are part of a group or in other words, part of "we".

GriffeyFan
05-31-2004, 02:00 AM
I certainly use "we" when referring to my teams. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it and I agree with many in this thread that when you root for your favorite team, you use "we" because it's your team. The fans are a part of the game, that's for sure. I have no idea why this would annoy anyone.

SYCMiniBus
05-31-2004, 02:05 AM
No doubt it aggrivates me when people say "we". I go to OSU I went to the Fiesta Bowl and people congratulated me when OSU won. I was asking myself what the hell did I do?? The same thing with "we". I didnt do anything to be on the team and I am sure as hell not on the team. Now if you use "we" to clarify which team you are talking about like thje score is 3-2 and some asks you who is winning and you say "we" are then I dont mind it as much, although when I hear man we are really playing well lately. I just want to ask the guy how many hits did you have during the homestand?

creek14
05-31-2004, 09:37 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday at work. If I were the owner of team, I would want the fans to identify closely enough with the team to say "we". I would guess that the "we's" of the world are the ones who spend the most on tickets and replica jersey's and hats and programs and scorecards and all the other things that bring money to the team.

Marty and Joe
05-31-2004, 09:37 AM
Most of my knowledge of this and sports psychology in general is directly due to late night drunken conversations with people much more in the know than yours truly.

I think most profound knowledge came from late night drunken conversations. :MandJ:

There's probably a book title opportunity there and maybe even a Redszone project.... 'Everything I needed to know I learned in late night drunken coversations' - who's game? :lol: :lol:

GAC
05-31-2004, 10:10 AM
One final note from me on this subject (and it does go along with what rfs said).

And I mentioned this before on another thread. I look at people on this forum, and Red fans in general, as MY extended family. There is an emotional attachment.

I work in a large factory. And I see alot of people walking around with Red hats on within the plant. The vast majority of these people I don't know from a personal level. But when we see the hat, we somehow "connect" from an emotional level because of our identification (or support) of the Reds. And one can say that about any sports franchise that one supports.

I have come to know several people better at the plant simply from that very fact, and nothing else.... we are part of the Red's family.

There is that HUGE emotional attachment, or association, to that team. If that wasn't the case, then why do people express a range of emotions from anger and embarassment when our team is playing poorly... to excitement and exhilaration when we are winning?

Why are we so critical of management, player performance, coaching decisions, etc. etc. if there is not that feeling of "we", or that that product on the field represents US. Why do people use this forum to vent that frustration, unless there is that sense of "we"? It's because we see that team/organization as representing us.

Look at Bengal and Brown fans for example. For the most part, people were laughed at, or lampooned, when they wore articles that identified their allegiance to that particular team. You'd here phrases like.... "You're a Bengals/Browns fan? Gee, I feel sorry for you!" :lol:

But why? It's not like I had anything to do with that team's performance (or lack thereof) over the years. But it is about loyalty and allegiance... and IMO, that promotes that "we" or family atmosphere among the fans that is an emotional bond. How else can I explain how I can have that "attachment" to people on here, whom I have never had the opportunity to meet in person?

To me, Redszone is my extended family in alot of ways, due to that bond. And that is why I use the term "we". It's just so easy to gravitate to that due to the emotional attachment we all have.

(just don't any of you try hitting me up for money! :roll: )

Phil in BG
05-31-2004, 10:20 AM
I guess I'm careful when using the term "we" in the context of the Reds. When I post here I usually speak of the Reds instead of we. I can see where it might bother some people and I'm the ultimate diplomat. My job has formed that personality. The Reds are definitely "my" team though.

Now let's hope we go out and win tonight. :)

Brisco
05-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Well... since every other aspect of the Reds has been analyzed to the extreme... i guess its time "we" start analyzing the fans.

I guess that fact that its the "Cincinnati" Reds is what gives folks the right to say "We." Every single aspect of the team is funded by the fans and the citizens of the city. They can say "We."

(For the record... I am only a fan of the "Cincinnati" reds... if they left the greater Cincy area, I would not follow them. I am a fan of THIS City and the teams that represent it.)

A parallel (and appropriate, considering the day) is the way "We" win wars. We all realize that its a very small portion of our population that actually wear the uniform and put themselves in harm's way, but, as a career Soldier, I would never gainsay the right of any other citizen to share in the successes and failures that "We" have had.

"We" all have a role to play. Isn't that the true strength of the US?

jmcclain19
01-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Bumping this back up to the top.

Hearing way too much "We" going on in these parts of late.

Redsland
01-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Didn't we agree that we're okay with we since we're the we's most passionate about they?

Or did we agree that we wouldn't use we?

:confused:

Falls City Beer
01-03-2005, 06:00 PM
(The first person collective in the subjective case) agree.

traderumor
01-03-2005, 06:03 PM
If I use this particular pronoun at home, it gets giggles as the kids put the word together real fast twice. Those crazy kids.

pedro
01-03-2005, 06:16 PM
and yet when we say "we stink" there is often an element of truth in it.

creek14
01-03-2005, 06:18 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday at work. If I were the owner of team, I would want the fans to identify closely enough with the team to say "we". I would guess that the "we's" of the world are the ones who spend the most on tickets and replica jersey's and hats and programs and scorecards and all the other things that bring money to the team.
I'm sticking with what this wise woman said oh those many months ago.

And add that without *we* they would just be a bunch of guys playing softball in some beer league.

bucksfan
01-03-2005, 06:30 PM
"We" still works for me, pet peeve or not. I am eager to be influenced and educated by all sorts of baseball viewpoints and theories, but in this area I remain inflexible. If a team cannot form a collective identity with their fans, then much is lost in the sport for me. And as far as Ohio State, as I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, the term is even more appropriate to me.

TeamCasey
01-03-2005, 07:14 PM
I think "we're" fine with it.

wheels
01-03-2005, 07:23 PM
I didn't post on this the last time it was up, but count me as one of the folks that gets irked by it.

Unassisted
01-03-2005, 07:33 PM
I don't much like it either. IMO, if your paycheck isn't signed by John Allen, you're not part of "we."

Next, can we do something about the insidious scourge that is the phrase "My (insert team name here)?"

wheels
01-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Oh man...That's even worse than "we".

Bill
01-03-2005, 07:54 PM
The Reds are a collective including fans. Without the we, there are no paychecks, there is no Reds. Actually Reds' players agree as they call the fans-our fans.

I don't mind it as long as one applies it consistently, win or lose. To get upset about its usage is a bit pedantic, just as it is esoteric to commit funding to study such behavior.

gonelong
01-03-2005, 10:48 PM
We? Oui!

GL

epitome
01-04-2005, 01:48 AM
This just in from the Pacific NW...there's a lot fewer Mariner's fans saying "we" these days :mhcky21:

Simply put. We are hilarious aren't we.

Playadlc
01-04-2005, 02:18 AM
I have no idea why this is such a big deal.

GAC
01-04-2005, 02:29 AM
I have no idea why this is such a big deal.

With some it is a big deal.

You need to get in the same line, and march to the same drummer. ;)

It's all about a "sensitivity" issue, and not creating a hostile work environment.

Can I say "us"? :mhcky21:

KronoRed
01-04-2005, 02:54 AM
How bout we just call everyone comrade? :devil:

NC Reds fan
01-04-2005, 03:03 AM
Pet peeve time!

I see it alot here, and I hear it all the time also (heck, I've said it myself on occasion, though I try not to): Fans saying "we" when it comes to their favorite team: "we have to beat the Astros tonight" "we really pulled that off". I heard a great line about this recently: if you don't shower with the team, you aren't part of "we".

It annoys me when I see/hear it, and it REALLY annoys me when it slips out of my mouth.

Just sayin

Edit to include: By the way, the only one here on Redszone that can probably say "we" would be Creek, since from what I hear she DOES shower with the team, or at least with Adam. Not to start any rumors or anything.

Why can't we say we or our team? We are the ones that buy the tickets, the merchandise, and some of us get the baseball packages on TV just to watch. So it is our team.

Cedric
01-04-2005, 03:08 AM
I usually call them units. Or sometimes the number figure for whatever hip stat is in this coming year.

vic715
01-04-2005, 03:11 AM
How many times in a football game do you see the hometeam players try to get the fans into the game by waving their arms.The fans are part of the team and will be here when most of the players are long gone.I've given 44 years of support whether I've been there in person or watched them on tv or listened to the radio. I use the word we because I am a supporting fan who MY team needs to function.
In saying that I hope "WE" have a helleva good team in 2005.

Jpup
01-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Actually, the tendency for people to say "we" when referring to their team is a studied social psychological principle called BIRG-ing, meaning "Basking in Reflected Glory". It tends to only occur when the team wins. For example "We won today". When the team loses, people separate themselves from the team, (E.g. "They lost yesterday"). That is called CORF-ing ("Cutting Off Reflected Failure"). A colleague and friend of mine at Miami University studied these ideas. Pretty interesting stuff. He also found that after a win, people were more likely to wear team related apparel the next day, such as to classes or work. If the team lost, the amount of team apparel worn went down.

Ed Otten

That's what I call a casual fan. I wear my stuff proud no matter if "we" win or lose.

Unless I start getting into GABP free of charge, i will say "we". :)

deltachi8
01-04-2005, 12:51 PM
I always refrain from using "we" as i never once won a game for the reds or lost one either.

Bill
01-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Not directly, but it is your financial support that allowed them to go out and buy Milton. When he wins a game, go ahead and say, "We won!"

Try it out, you might feel better about the whole experience. Course you'll feel worse when we lose.

deltachi8
01-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Nope, cant do it, feels wrong. It may be because at one point i wanted to be a broadcaster and hated play by play men (women) who say "we" and promissed I never would do that. When i got a chance to call some high school games, i made sure of it.

Crosley68
01-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Live and let live. I find it very difficult to believe that some people lose sleep over what others call the team they cheer for...... :rolleyes:

Raisor
01-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Live and let live. I find it very difficult to believe that some people lose sleep over what others call the team they cheer for...... :rolleyes:

Well, all I said was that it was a pet peeve.

I don't believe I ever said I lost sleep over it.

oh, and I can :rolleyes: with the best of them..

deltachi8
01-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Funny thing, I am a Steelers fan (yes, i have put on my flame retardant suit) and "we" on the Steelr board had this same debate about a year ago.

traderumor
01-04-2005, 04:22 PM
since this thread is about a pet peeve, I would like to take the opportunity to say that "so and so says hi" to provide an example for the item under discussion is realllllllllllly getting old quick.

Whew, I feel better, got that off my chest.

Now, we can get back to the subject of whether or not typing "we suck" will be appropriate after a blow out or in the midst of a losing streak. ;)

Caveman Techie
01-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I can agree that it is annonying when a sportscaster uses "we", but I don't have a problem with fans using it. Basically my philosophy is that as long as the professional sports team use the city names to identify themselves (i.e. The Cincinnati Reds), then I don't think there is any problem with fans using "we" when talking about their city's pro team. Besides like Creek pointed out I would think the team would want their fanbase to feel like they're apart of the team.

Cedric
01-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Traderumor- You the man.

SunDeck
01-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm not a "we" person either.

I called the Hoosiers "they" last week and a co-worker said, "Oh, I forgot, you're not a we person yet." I lied and told him I was a we person, but only for winning basketball programs. Of course, this went over real well.

Anyway, nobody in my family is a we person, either and our Reds fan pedigree goes back a long time. We are a distant, suspicious, teutonic breed.

BuckeyeRedleg
01-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Is it also a "pet peeve" when players refer to the home fans as "our fans"?

My biggest "pet peeve" is when people talk about having "pet peeves".

Oops. :p:

WMR
09-10-2006, 04:40 AM
EVERY fan should say "We" when talking about "THEIR" teams.

oneupper
09-10-2006, 10:49 AM
we = two letters
REDS = four letters
The team = 7 letters (plus a space to type).

We is great for when the carpal tunnel starts to smart.

Falls City Beer
09-10-2006, 10:53 AM
In favor of "we." "We" are just going to have to get used to hearing "we."

PuffyPig
09-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Clint Eastwood is a "We" man in the Dirty Harry movies:

Clint:"We're just not gonna let you walk out of here"...

Bad Guy (looking around and not seeing any other cops)..."What do you mean we"?

Clint: "Me, Smith and Wesson"...Lots of shooting, bad guys dead, etc. etc.

Nuff said.

MrCinatit
09-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I use "we" a lot when referring to the Reds. I am a fan, I live and die with them, so there is naturally going to be a feeling of togetherness.

Unassisted
09-10-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm glad this thread was revived. I searched for it a few weeks ago and couldn't find it. My sig summarizes my view on the topic.

IMO, the incorrect usage of "we" makes the poster look wee.

RFS62
09-10-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm glad this thread was revived. I searched for it a few weeks ago and couldn't find it. My sig summarizes my view on the topic.

IMO, the incorrect usage of "we" makes the poster look wee.

I guess to each his own. To me, complaining about a fan using "we" is hilarious.

Wheelhouse
09-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Pet peeve time!

Just sayin

Last time I looked, the jerseys didn't say "25 guys in a clubhouse", they said "Cincinnati".

BCubb2003
09-10-2006, 01:26 PM
If we don't show up, the team doesn't succeed. We will be here after the stars are gone. We've been here longer than Marty has. We are family. Sorry, wrong team. If we aren't happy, nobody's happy. We are not amused. But can we be DFA'd? Traded for St. Louis fans? Can we bring our golf clubs into the clubhouse? What better place for clubs than in a clubhouse? We aren't the champions. But we used to be. We could have been a contender. But we didn't show up for that West Coast road trip. We're day to day. But it's a school night.

RANDY IN INDY
09-10-2006, 01:37 PM
I guess to each his own. To me, complaining about a fan using "we" is hilarious.

:beerme:

Matt700wlw
09-10-2006, 01:42 PM
oui

RANDY IN INDY
09-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Made me think of the university I attended, Marshall University, and the pride that the surrounding Tri-State area (West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky) has in the school. Many never attended, but have a special feeling and support for it. The motion picture coming out, "We Are Marshall" plays on the "WE." I think it is great when a person or group of individuals have such a passion for something that they can come together as "WE."

RFS62 nailed it. It really is hillarious that the passionate use of the word "We" when referring to ones favorite team bothers some.

Phhhl
09-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Huh... interesting. It doesn't bother me.

RANDY IN INDY
09-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Interesting, too, in that I rarely use the word "We," but it certainly doesn't bother me.

OnBaseMachine
09-10-2006, 02:21 PM

I agree with this.

Ltlabner
09-10-2006, 02:35 PM
It's interesting that we often hear complaints about the fans not supporting the team, not showing up at GABP unless bribed and not getting behind the reds.

Yet if someone says "we", a term of inclusion and ownership into the team that's a problem too.

I'm not saying the same people expressed both points of view but it's an interesting reflection on what people expect of fans (specifically their commitment level).

GAC
09-10-2006, 03:39 PM
"we" sounds too French to me. ;)

BCubb2003
09-10-2006, 03:50 PM
"we" sounds too French to me. ;)

Maybe to y'uns it does.

RANDY IN INDY
09-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Y'uns? What's a y'uns?:confused:

It's y'all where I come from.;)

WVRedsFan
09-10-2006, 05:40 PM

IN Western Greenbrier County it's "you-all," as in "You-all done good today." :)

TeamCasey
09-10-2006, 05:44 PM
We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

MaineRed
09-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Pet peeve time!

I've put in more time with the Reds than half the roster. The same can be said for most everyone reading this. Been a fan my entire life and I plan on staying one. I think I have earned the right to say we every now and then. When you dedicate your baseball affiliation to one team you earn that perk IMO.

KittyDuran
09-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Beat me with a wet noodle but I used the royal "us" at the game today...:p:

BoydsOfSummer
09-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I've spent over $100 on tix and parking this year. That makes them, we.:cool:

TeamCasey
09-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I love when "we win", I hate when "THEY lose." ;)

Red in Chicago
09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
I love when "we win", I hate when "THEY lose." ;)

perfectly stated:p:

Unassisted
09-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I love when "we win", I hate when "THEY lose."

Did you know that when you say that, you are BIRGing and CORFing (http://www.units.muohio.edu/psybersite/fans/bc.shtml)? :evil:

[edit] Wow, full circle time. I just read Ed Otten's post about this on the first page of the thread. I thought this concept sounded vaguely familiar. <corf></corf>

http://www.pritchettcartoons.com/animation/dogchase.gif

westofyou
09-10-2006, 10:29 PM
We are a distant, suspicious, teutonic breed.

"We" are aren't we? (of course my we is Prussian and Midwest born and bred) now be quiet, draw me a beer and pass me the cheese,

REDREAD
09-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Pet peeve time!

I see it alot here, and I hear it all the time also (heck, I've said it myself on occasion, though I try not to): Fans saying "we" when it comes to their favorite team:

Dude, I think you're way too picky. "We" will continue to include ourselves when talking about our team, or at least I will :laugh:

kaldaniels
09-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Pet peeve time!

Just sayin

It's just a time saver if you ask me. Instead of we, one has to say "the Reds". Go easy We-haters....it's no big deal.

GAC
09-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Look - the way this team has played over the last several years, anyone who wants to use, or be associated with them, by using the inclusive "we" should either be patted on the back or given a free catscan. :lol:

GAC
09-11-2006, 06:52 AM

Do y'all WORSE your clothes, like we all do up here in Ohia? Back at the crick (not creek). ;)

Danny Serafini
09-11-2006, 11:31 AM
I can't believe I didn't see this thread when it first started. This is one of those little things that drive me up a wall. Unless you're out there fielding grounders or hitting curveballs you absolutely, positively cannot use "we". Supporting the team doesn't make you part of the team.

VR
09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Even wee Michele Wie says oui to we.

37red
09-11-2006, 11:57 AM
TC made the best point in the shortest sentence, good job TC! "we" have all been spending hours trying to describe what "they" mean when "they" say "we". This isn't a quote of TC

RedFanAlways1966
09-11-2006, 12:27 PM
I never say or type "we" myself, but it does not bother me when others do.

Ltlabner
09-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I thought about this over the weekend.

I honestly pay no attention whatsoever to whether I say "we", "us" , or "them" when I talk/post about the Reds. Nor do I pay any attention to whether others say it.

Ranks right up there as a big ole "who cares" in my book.

I have lots of pet peeves so I cast no aspersions on those who find this annoying.

BCubb2003
09-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Don't know about all y'all, but I think this is threatening to take over the title of "Redzoniest Thread of All Time."

RFS62
09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Don't know about all y'all, but I think this is threatening to take over the title of "Redzoniest Thread of All Time."

Them's strong words there, partner.

Ltlabner
09-11-2006, 02:31 PM

I don't know...it's hard to beat the multi-page, battle-royale over sliding headfirst vs. feet-first for all-time olympic class "Redzoniest-ness".

Reds1
09-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Just giving an opinion that it doesn't bother me at all. I do it and will continue. I'm 35 and have loved the reds since about age 10. I listen or watch every game and have for over a two decades. I would say I care what happens to the reds more then some of the players themselves. It's a job to them. It's entertainment and something I do to get away from life for me. By golly if anyone is going to tell me I can't say we or my team. :)

Heath
09-11-2006, 02:36 PM
It's the only way Raisor posts anymore.

It's like we have to resurrect him from the archives.

BCubb2003
09-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I don't know...it's hard to beat the multi-page, battle-royale over sliding headfirst vs. feet-first for all-time olympic class "Redzoniest-ness".

Maybe you're right. There aren't enough stats in this thread yet.

37red
09-11-2006, 08:06 PM
BCubb......... You've got it going the right direction now, I want to see this :-).

Raisor
09-12-2006, 06:05 PM
It's the only way Raisor posts anymore.

It's like we have to resurrect him from the archives.

Raisor's computer died, so Raisor can only post from the local library when he finds the time.

Raisor sad.:(

Puffy
09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Maybe you're right. There aren't enough stats in this thread yet.

People who use the word "we" when discussing favorite team:

67% are married
74% have used a pocket protector in their life
3% have had a threesome
28% think their gas smells awesome
100% watch and enjoy 7th Heaven
4% think Red Leader is cool
69% were surprised when Liberace came out of the closet
55% Have sung both parts of "I Got You, Babe" in the shower
92% wear colored socks and sandals when wearing shorts
8% wear colored socks and sandals when wearing speedos

People who refuse to use the "we" when discussing their favorite team:

67% are married (the other 33% are single by choice)
100% think their gas is the bee's knees
4% think Red Leader is cool
85% refer to their arms as "guns"
50% have used the pickup line (when flexing) "How would you like a ticket to the gun show"
100% are younger than RFS
88% have beat up a "we" person for wearing a pocket protector

Ltlabner
09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Great....now I am torn.

I love to sing "I got you babe" in the shower (a sign of being a "we" person) but I also think my farts are "the bee's knees" (proof positive of being anti-we).

By the way, what is the VORP of people who say "we" vs. the RC Cola/27 of an "anti-we" ? And what does Chicken-PECOTA have to do with anything?

Roy Tucker
09-13-2006, 05:08 PM
I sometimes use "we" in reference to the Reds.

However, it is usually the royal we, sometimes the editorial we, and occasionally the patronizing we.

KronoRed
09-13-2006, 06:55 PM

It's still a rookie thread in comparison

Unassisted
06-14-2007, 06:58 PM
We're doing it again.

I wish we wouldn't.

Joseph
06-14-2007, 07:14 PM
If we were playing better we wouldn't have these sort of threads to worry about cause we'd be happier.

SandyD
06-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey, we're in this together, right? ;)

membengal
06-14-2007, 07:20 PM
The Reds left Bailey in too long today.

If they had taken him out after 6, we would have made the right decision.

wally post
06-14-2007, 08:47 PM
I think if we are in a room together, we say "we". Therefore, at the ballpark its, "I hope we win tonight"
After the game in the car it's, "Durnit! the Reds bullpen blew it again!"

I also think Puffy is a silly person and Adam Dunn is lucky to have Creek. It just might keep him in Cincy!

red-in-la
06-14-2007, 08:56 PM
This is one of my pet pieves also......but....now that WE are down to maybe 26 Reds fans......I think WE are OK using WE.

I still won't, because....well.....because.

Caveat Emperor
06-14-2007, 10:02 PM
WE are down to maybe 26 Reds fans

The sad part is, that's counting the guys on the 25 man right now.

Joseph
06-14-2007, 10:11 PM
The sad part is, that's counting the guys on the 25 man right now.

If some of them were fans, they'd want to win more, like we do.

OldRightHander
06-14-2007, 11:14 PM

I guess everything is still in working order.

redsrule2500
06-14-2007, 11:15 PM

10th man!

OldRightHander
06-14-2007, 11:20 PM
since this thread is about a pet peeve, I would like to take the opportunity to say that "so and so says hi" to provide an example for the item under discussion is realllllllllllly getting old quick.

Whew, I feel better, got that off my chest.

Now, we can get back to the subject of whether or not typing "we suck" will be appropriate after a blow out or in the midst of a losing streak. ;)

My biggest pet peeve lately: everyone getting thrown under the bus. Can we please stop throwing people under the bus.

KronoRed
06-14-2007, 11:26 PM
What do we have against the bus?

Falls City Beer
06-14-2007, 11:32 PM
My biggest pet peeve lately: everyone getting thrown under the bus. Can we please stop throwing people under the bus.

People don't get "thrown under the bus" by the Reds; they get "placed gently below the hovercraft."

vaticanplum
06-14-2007, 11:34 PM
People don't get "thrown under the bus" by the Reds; they get "placed gently below the hovercraft."

:laugh:

Unassisted
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Time to revisit this thread. Remember: you're not part of "we" unless your paycheck is issued by the Cincinnati Reds.

Sea Ray
02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Time to revisit this thread. Remember: you're not part of "we" unless your paycheck is issued by the Cincinnati Reds.

I don't know. They wear Cincinnati on their chest. They represent my city. I am a lifelong Cincinnatian. If they were called the P & G Reds I'd agree with you.

How about college teams? If my fellow students are representing my school it is our team.

RedsManRick
02-22-2008, 03:23 PM

"We" is easier to type and easier to say than "The Reds" and using "The Reds" fails to capture the association I feel with the organization.

I don't think anybody here is so delusional as to think that they are part of the team. Using 'we' is a handy shortcut and unless you really think it confuses things or seriously disrespects the organization, I see no reason to stop using it.

harangatang
02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Time to revisit this thread. Remember: you're not part of "we" unless your paycheck is issued by the Cincinnati Reds.I think that's little harsh personally, I type we sometimes as they are my team. I'm not quite sure why this thread was bumped, I think we all know no one from the Reds posts on here so who cares. I mean c'mon I'm not Aaron Harang for crying out loud. The closest thing we have is Coffeybro and I don't blame him for not coming around much.

Spring~Fields
02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Everything the Reds do is to get “we” to participate, without “we” they are not, so we are a part of the picture called we, the whole team goes deeper and wider than 25 men on a roster.

Where are they without we providing revenues and an audience?

Cedric
02-22-2008, 03:40 PM

The funny thing is the people saying "we" aren't near as serious about this as you.

Reds1
02-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I think it's great when fans say we in reference to their team. If I was a player I would think it's great as well.

I agree. I don't always use it, but I'm kewl with it. :cool:

Triples
02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I guess because I once aspired to be a broadcatser I trained myself earlyon not to say "we" as that drives me nuts in a broadcaster. I still won't say it because I, as a spectator, have absolutely no influence on a particular game.

I have to disagree, any athlete will tell you that a loud cheering crowd does help the team. Even athletes in individual sports like golf and tennis will tell you that fan support is huge in their motivation. why do you think they call it the 6th man in basketball and the 12th man in football (do we have 10th man in baseball:confused:)

Ltlabner
02-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this might be the greatest non-issue on the face of the planet next to ring-around-the-collar.

/end grumpy

Johnny Footstool
02-22-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest this might be the greatest non-issue on the face of the planet next to ring-around-the-collar.

/end grumpy

We're just bored. The 20 pages of responses to the signing of Josh Fogg is a testament to that.

Ltlabner
02-22-2008, 03:53 PM
We're just bored. The 20 pages of responses to the signing of Josh Fogg is a testament to that.

I gotta idear.

What about Joe Blanton?

Spring~Fields
02-22-2008, 04:04 PM

/end grumpy

Yes, except for it took me a long time to get over Raisor speaking such Reds fans blasphemy ! ;)

Joseph
02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Chip R
02-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I blame Raisor since he started this thread in the first place.

jojo
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
I say there's no "we" in "me"........

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/paperbag.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

KronoRed
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
I blame Raisor since he started this thread in the first place.

Agreed, he's an agitator, trade him to cubzone.

BRM
02-22-2008, 05:02 PM

What could we get for him? His value is very low after a shaky 2007.

Wheelhouse
02-22-2008, 05:29 PM
It certainly is "we"!!!!
-"we" paid the taxes that finance the stadium.
-"we" allow special tax exemptions to MLB teams that other businesses don't get
-"we" give MLB antitrust exemption through our lawmakers

Baseball teams are more "ours" than any other sport. "We" make great sacrifices for them. Make no mistake...

02-22-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't like using "we" in this instance- I don't think we is appropriate, personally, but it isn't important. However, hearing someone feel the need to correct someone else over it is alot more annoying.

BuckeyeRedleg
02-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Is it also a "pet peeve" when players refer to the home fans as "our fans"?

My biggest "pet peeve" is when people talk about having "pet peeves".

Oops. :p:

I was money three years ago in this thread.

BCubb2003
02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Wii?

Tom Servo
02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Women's Entertainment

KronoRed
02-22-2008, 07:14 PM

Kerry Wood Fan?

savafan
02-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I "may" be a minority owner of the Cincinnati Reds. You don't know...

Just sayin'...

;)

westofyou
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Weeeeeee backwards is Eeeeeeeew

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=68663&rendTypeId=4

*BaseClogger*
02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm going to put WE in all CAPS from now on...

Raisor
02-22-2008, 08:11 PM

I'd like to point out that I had an injured groin for a good part of 07, but in various starts where I wasn't injured I was as snarky as ever.

I believe my snark level will be in the top 10% this season, what with it being my free agent year.

Go me.

*BaseClogger*
02-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd like to point out that I had an injured groin for a good part of 07, but in various starts where I wasn't injured I was as snarky as ever.

I believe my snark level will be in the top 10% this season, what with it being my free agent year.

Go me.

do we get a couple of compensatory Sun Deck posters if you decide to leave? :)

KronoRed
02-22-2008, 08:17 PM
See? he's already talking free agency, trade him! we all know he wants to be on BravesZone anyway :D

BCubb2003
02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
See? he's already talking free agency, trade him! we all know he wants to be on BravesZone anyway :D

We'll just end up complaining about what we could get for him.

Reds Nd2
02-22-2008, 08:56 PM

:laugh:

WMR
02-22-2008, 09:32 PM
I used "We" in the past to talk about "MY" teams and I will continue to do so in the future, TYVM.

KronoRed
02-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Nah, better a poster then more picks in the sun deck.

BRM
02-22-2008, 10:36 PM

Go me.

Excuses, excuses. We expect results here at RedsZone buddy.

corkedbat
02-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Pet Peeve: Stickler old fart's starting threads to complain about fans using "We" when referring to "their" team.

:p: :mooner:

Spring~Fields
02-22-2008, 11:01 PM

Go me.

Why split hairs, let's be fair.

If the Reds do well they will be our team, if the Reds do poorly, then they will be Raisors team. :D

sonny
02-22-2008, 11:24 PM
I say "we" not because I played for the Reds (I was a seldom used 6th outfielder on the Big Red Machine, I was also the 5th Beatle but that's a dicussion for another time) but because The Reds are the team that I poured over boxscores and fell asleep listening to Mart and Joe in my youth.

When my brother and I would play in the backyard, I was always Paul O'Neill and he was always Sabo. I remember buying my very first authentic Reds hat. I cherished it, trying to keep it pristine for as long as I could. I was always the Reds in my Tony Larussa Baseball video game.

I have been a Red longer than any Red on the current team. So have pretty much all of us. That's why I say "we".

OnBaseMachine
02-22-2008, 11:30 PM
I used "We" in the past to talk about "MY" teams and I will continue to do so in the future, TYVM.

Same here. I can't believe this actually bothers some people.

BCubb2003
02-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Nah, better a poster then more picks in the sun deck.

I'm just saying, check -- all -- of the medical records.

redsrule2500
02-23-2008, 12:07 AM
10th man ftw

Redhook
02-23-2008, 12:17 AM
With the amount of time I invest in the Reds and growing up in Cincy, I will alway use the "we" term to talk about my team.

BCubb2003
02-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Saying that management wanted to "try a different direction," the team fired its fans today.

"They looked like a scrappy bunch going north," owner Bob Castellini said, "but by August they were lethargic and unfocused.

"Sure, they show up for the bobbleheads, but we need more from them if we're going to compete with the likes of St. Louis, which has, as you know, 'the best fans in baseball.' "

The team will go with interim fans from Columbus, Lexington and Bloomington and plans to begin the search for permanent replacements shortly. An announcement is not expected until after the World Series.

Several players said they were surprised by the move, and one added, "They were good fans to play for and it was our fault for not getting the job done, but that's the thing about baseball ... you can't fire the players."

harangatang
02-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Saying that management wanted to "try a different direction," the team fired its fans today.

"They looked like a scrappy bunch going north," owner Bob Castellini said, "but by August they were lethargic and unfocused.

"Sure, they show up for the bobbleheads, but we need more from them if we're going to compete with the likes of St. Louis, which has, as you know, 'the best fans in baseball.' "

The team will go with interim fans from Columbus, Lexington and Bloomington and plans to begin the search for permanent replacements shortly. An announcement is not expected until after the World Series.

Several players said they were surprised by the move, and one added, "They were good fans to play for and it was our fault for not getting the job done, but that's the thing about baseball ... you can't fire the players."I can't believe Bob isn't counting on the Cubs fans to fill the seats in September.

GAC
02-23-2008, 08:03 AM
We use the term "we" because it's all about guilt by association. ;)

jojo
02-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Alright here's mine....

"He needs to start in AAA to get more seasoning"

Was there ever a more all-encompassing phrase that actually said less?

In the last week I've read Cueto needs more seasoning. Bruce needs more seasoning. I've even read that Maloney has nasty stuff-nastier than Cueto/Bailey/Volquez-but sadly he too needs more seasoning.

When did players become food? If players are indeed food, what does that say about those that use "we" when speaking about their teams?

Screwball
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM
If players are indeed food, what does that say about those that use "we" when speaking about their teams?

You are what you eat? :dunno:

jojo
02-23-2008, 03:42 PM
You are what you eat? :dunno:

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Blitz Dorsey
02-23-2008, 03:52 PM
It's very simple. When they are doing well it's WE when they are struggling it's THEY.

(I keed, I keed.)

GAC
02-24-2008, 05:58 AM
When did players become food? If players are indeed food, what does that say about those that use "we" when speaking about their teams?

Ever wonder what happened to Kevin "Fatburger" Mitchell?

http://blogs.tampabay.com/juice/images/2007/07/13/fatburger.jpg

jojo
02-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Ever wonder what happened to Kevin "Fatburger" Mitchell?

http://blogs.tampabay.com/juice/images/2007/07/13/fatburger.jpg

Gawd. That's totally funny but I could also totally believe that KM does eat people.....

Blitz Dorsey
02-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Geez, he only needs one hand to catch a baseball but he needs both for a little burger like that?

BTW, Kevin Mitchell's 1994 season was one of the best in Reds' history. Wonder what his numbers would have looked like if the season wasn't cut short.

02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
That pic is like a sick version of the Bench poster where he is holding the baseballs and softballs.

WebScorpion
02-25-2008, 10:47 AM

I'm sure CubsZone has still got a few BakerBoosters rolling around there,that'd love to come over! Heck, I bet we could talk them into a LTC. I also think it would be a good idea if Raisor changed his sig to something like 'Bartman' during the move, just to make paperwork easier tracking pre- and post-trade stats. ;)

SunDeck
02-25-2008, 02:26 PM
The team will go with interim fans from Columbus, Lexington and Bloomington and plans to begin the search for permanent replacements shortly.

Too bad there's only about six of us left here. And I'm a Cincinnati transplant. Why on earth the Cardinals and the Cubs have more sway here is beyond me, when Cincinnati is only 2.5 hours away, but then again, whoever said Cubs fans had any brains?

StillFunkyB
10-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Barry Larkin was talking about the Reds on MLBN this afternoon and calling them "We".

I think it was Matt Yallof that said "What's with this "We" stuff?"

Made me think of this thread.

That is all.

10-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I noticed that. Couldn't help himself, I guess.

The Voice of IH
10-08-2010, 05:51 PM
its our team :)

Homer Bailey
10-08-2010, 05:54 PM
A fan asked Sam LeCure about this on twitter a while back, and I don't have his exact quote, but he said something along the lines of "the players see the fans as part of the team, and we're all in it together." Take that for what its worth.

mth123
10-08-2010, 07:31 PM
For us typing impaired fans, "We" is much easier. Get over it.

Joseph
10-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Once a Red always a Red.

Wheelhouse
10-09-2010, 12:40 AM
The fans pay for the team. It is theirs MORE than anybody else. The jerseys don't say "the 25 guys in this locker room" they say "Cincinnati".

Johnny Footstool
10-09-2010, 01:34 AM
A fan asked Sam LeCure about this on twitter a while back, and I don't have his exact quote, but he said something along the lines of "the players see the fans as part of the team, and we're all in it together." Take that for what its worth.

We're all in it together, until the contracts are up.

The fans pay for the team. It is theirs MORE than anybody else. The jerseys don't say "the 25 guys in this locker room" they say "Cincinnati".

Yes. Players come and go. Fans stay with the team.

WVPacman
10-09-2010, 01:48 AM
I see nothing wrong when people say "we" out in public to me or write it on any sports board.We may not play for our favorite teams but we support them in every way we can.When somebody says "we won or we lost" it does'nt mean we play for that team... Its another way to say thats MY TEAM and I will support them all my life.If it means anything it says the team and fans are one big family.

edabbs44
10-09-2010, 05:09 PM
We sucked last night.