PDA

View Full Version : I miss Stenson

Clemson
06-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Disclosure: this thread means more to me right now than any third person stuff

I miss seeing Dernell Stenson in a Reds uniform. Not just becuase I truly think he could add some left handed pop off our bench, but because he seemed like a great guy. I have never met him and am not sure why I am thinking of this right now, but I am and figured writing it down would make it better. Anyway, I think it has been a great season thus far, but seeing #63 on the bench would make it even better.

Krusty
06-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Forget the baseball aspect. The way this man was killed was horrible to say the least.

Matt700wlw
06-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Our thoughts continue to be with his family

TeamBoone
06-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Wow, Clemson! Your thread title startled me... and made me cry.

I, like you, have never been able to get his smiling face out of my mind since the horrible news of his violent death was made public. I've posted a few times after things died down, asking if anyone had heard anything about the authorities' search for his murderer(s), but have never been able to obtain any additional information, not even from Google. In fact, I haven't been able to even find a "new" article for several months now.

I don't know why it plagues me so, but it does. He just seemed to be such a remarkable young man, and a promising ballplayer on the move... up.

I miss him too. So very much.

KronoRed
06-26-2004, 08:32 PM
I miss him too, really wish the Reds had some type of patch on their uniforms or even something at the park :(

realreds1
06-26-2004, 10:18 PM
They aren't honoring him at all? I didn't know that. My goodness... I thought for sure they would have done something this season. What gives?

Clemson
06-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Wow, Clemson! Your thread title startled me... and made me cry.

I, like you, have never been able to get his smiling face out of my mind since the horrible news of his violent death was made public. I've posted a few times after things died down, asking if anyone had heard anything about the authorities' search for his murderer(s), but have never been able to obtain any additional information, not even from Google. In fact, I haven't been able to even find a "new" article for several months now.

I don't know why it plagues me so, but it does. He just seemed to be such a remarkable young man, and a promising ballplayer on the move... up.

I miss him too. So very much.

Sorry, I didn't mean to shake things up but for some reason I started thinking about how terrible a tragedy it was today and figured the best way to vent was through this board.

KittyDuran
06-26-2004, 11:17 PM
They aren't honoring him at all? I didn't know that. My goodness... I thought for sure they would have done something this season. What gives? The Reds did have a video tribute to him (and Marge) on Opening Day and there was talk of a memorial fund in his name, but haven't heard anything more about it...

TeamBoone
06-26-2004, 11:22 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to shake things up but for some reason I started thinking about how terrible a tragedy it was today and figured the best way to vent was through this board.

Don't be sorry. I'm sure Dernell likes to be remembered.

Petitt33
06-27-2004, 12:17 AM
you would think the Reds would atleast put Stenson's number on their sleeve or something.

Swampturkey
06-27-2004, 07:36 PM
I know how you all feel. I still miss Darryl Kile and it's been 2 years. I honestly don't think a day has gone by that I haven't thought of him or his family at least once.

Is amazing how attached we as fans become to these guys who unless they put on our favorite team's uniform, we'd never have known them.

But our lives are better for having known them and gotten to see them play.

RosieRed
06-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Should anyone want the info:

Dernell Stenson Memorial Fund
Bank of America
c/o Andrea Cosper
200 Main Street
LaGrange, GA 30241

GIK
07-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm bumping this because Dernell is an active player in my OOTP (computer baseball) league and is near retirement after a productive career.

http://www.hblbaseball.com/gamepages/p1242.html

RIP Dernell.

Jaycint
07-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Should anyone want the info:

Dernell Stenson Memorial Fund
Bank of America
c/o Andrea Cosper
200 Main Street
LaGrange, GA 30241

Thanks Rosie, I was wondering how I could help out his family in any way.

RIP Dernell.

Tommyjohn25
07-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Wierd that this thread got bumped, I found myself thinking about him in my car the other day on my way home from work. I hope his family is okay and that Stenson is playing in the good ol' field of dreams in the sky.

TC81190
07-23-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't care if he was a scrub or a phenom, I miss him too and he was personal favorite of mine and my pick to be real good.

Hopefully he IS jackin' out of the yard in that big baseball field in the sky.

Unassisted
12-30-2005, 05:57 PM
This is from today. I'm surprised that Dernell's accused killer hadn't been sentenced yet.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1230PlayerDeath30-ON.html

Plea deal being considered in slaying case of Reds prospect

Associated Press
Dec. 30, 2005 09:30 AM

A plea deal is being considered to prevent a death penalty trial for a man accused of participating in the 2003 slaying of a pro baseball player.

Court records suggest that a psychological exam of suspect Reginald Riddle caused a panel of prosecutors to reconsider seeking the death penalty.

The trial for Riddle, 21, is set to begin Wednesday in Maricopa County Superior Court in the death of Dernell Stenson, a Cincinnati Reds prospect.

Stenson, 25, was found slain on Nov. 5, 2003, on a street in suburban Chandler.

David Griffith, a 22-year-old co-defendant, is set to go to trial on March 6.

Riddle's defense attorney, Steve Koestner, said the state and defense have been meeting to resolve the case with a plea agreement.

Stenson was living in Scottsdale and playing for the Arizona Fall League's Scottsdale Scorpions at the time of his death.

According to court documents, Griffith and Riddle kidnapped Stenson and stole his sport utility vehicle outside a Scottsdale nightclub and drove to Chandler.

Stenson put up a fight as Griffith turned the vehicle around in a Chandler neighborhood.

Prosecutors said Stenson, who had been shot several times, got tangled in the seat belt as he tried to escape and was dragged for 1,100 feet.

TeamBoone
12-30-2005, 08:44 PM
Wow, this weird.

I was searching for a Stenson baseball card on ebay today and for about the third time, this guy has a card for sale with the title Red Sox player murdered. I enlightened him.

Why on earth do trials take so long? Whatever happened to the right of a fair and speedy trial? I would think that any witness testimony would be tainted by the failure to remember accurately.

I hope these guys get the limit of the law.

Gallen5862
12-31-2005, 07:57 PM
RIP Stenson. I hope the killers are punished.

kheidg-
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
This christmas my brothers and I all received a grab box of 1996-2004 baseball card packs and I was amazed to find in one of my packs an autographed Dernell Stenson card. The rest of the cards were worthless but the Stenson auto was one that I was glad I got.

Danny Serafini
01-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Here's the latest development:

Man pleads guilty to murder of Stenson
Associated Press

MESA, Ariz. -- One of two men accused in the kidnapping and murder of Cincinnati Reds prospect Dernell Stenson has pleaded guilty to first-degree murder charges.

Reginald Riddle, 21, agreed to the plea Thursday to avoid a possible death sentence. He agreed to testify in the trial of his co-defendant, David Griffith, 22, at his September trial. Riddle faces 25-years-to life, with or without the possibility of parole, when he is sentenced after Griffith's trial. Griffith still faces capital murder charges.

Riddle and Griffith were charged with kidnapping Stenson as he left a Scottsdale nightclub on the Nov. 5, 2003 and stealing his SUV. Court records allege they drove to nearby Chandler, where Stenson tried to flee the vehicle in a neighborhood. He was shot several times, became tangled in a seatbelt and was dragged more than 1,000 feet.

Stenson, 25, was living in Scottsdale and playing for the Arizona Fall League's Scottsdale Scorpions at the time of his death.

savafan
04-22-2006, 04:16 AM
Something tonight had me thinking about Dernell, so I went searching for news. A bit more info than the article that Danny posted. Looks like the second trial is coming up in September, although some reports said it would start March 6 of this year, I can't find anything that states that it did. This whole case was weird from the beginning, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the fourth suspect.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0127stinson0127.html

Michael Kiefer
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 27, 2006 12:00 AM

An Illinois man pleaded guilty to the 2003 murder of Cincinnati Reds outfielder Dernell Stenson in Maricopa County Superior Court Thursday.

Reginald Riddle dodged a possible death sentence by accepting the plea agreement to first-degree murder. Under Arizona law, he must be sentenced to life in prison, but it will be up to Judge Robert Gottsfield to decide whether Riddle, 21, will be eligible for parole after 25 years.

Prosecutors dropped charges of armed robbery and kidnapping.
advertisement

Gottsfield sealed the specifics of Riddle's plea agreement at his attorney's request, but no sentencing date has been set, an indication that Riddle may be expected to testify against his suspected accomplice, David Griffith.

Griffith, 22, of the Salt River Reservation, is scheduled to go to trial for the murder in September.

Authorities believe that on Nov. 5, 2003, the pair kidnapped Stenson from a Scottsdale bar, shot him and threw him from his car.

Riddle's older half-brother, Kevin, was caught in possession of Stenson's Isuzu Rodeo; authorities believe the other two enlisted his help in getting rid of the car. Kevin Riddle waived his right to a jury trial, and in Oct. 2004, he was found guilty of auto theft, hindering prosecution, and attempted hindering prosecution. He was sentenced to 8 3/4 years in prison.

A fourth man, already in the federal witness protection program, was suspected of helping the killers after the crime, but he posted bond and disappeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dernell_Stenson

While playing with the Scottsdale Scorpions of the AFL, Stenson was murdered, for reasons that are still unclear. The incident initially appeared to be a carjacking; Stenson was bound, shot in the head and chest, and then run over with his own SUV. Information which surfaced following the murder indicated that it may have been the culmination of a more elaborate scheme.

Stenson had received threatening text messages from former girlfriend Jennifer Gaddis, including one that said "U better pray I never see you U again. I swear Dernell U R worth a Murder charge 4 & that is all U R worth." She had engaged in odd behavior before, having faked both a pregnancy and a suicide in order to attract Stenson's attention. Police searched Gaddis's home and place of work and questioned her extensively, but concluded that she was not involved.

Four men were ultimately arrested for the crime, with robbery stated as motive. Reginald Riddle and David Griffith were both charged with six felonies, among them first-degree murder, kidnapping, and armed robbery. Reginald Riddle agreed to a plea to avoid a possible death sentence. He received a sentence of 25 years to life in prison in exchange for testifying against his co-defendant, David Griffith. Prosecutors have elected to seek the death penalty for Griffith. Kevin Riddle (Reginald's half-brother), pled guilty to charges of auto theft, hindering prosecution, and attempted hindering prosecution. He received a sentence of eight years and nine months in prison. Charges against a fourth man, Robert Maye, were dropped after it was determined that he was a protected federal witness who had testified against the Chicago-based Gangster Disciples street gang.

WMR
04-22-2006, 04:34 AM
It's sickening what these Federally Protected 'witnesses' can get away with.

I remember reading about one guy who was a serial killer and got away with all sorts of crap b/c local authorities were prevented from investigating him through an edict from the FBI. :(

WMR
04-22-2006, 04:43 AM
For people who didn't read much about this originally (myself included).
What a sad photo. :(
It sounds like Dernell was a really great guy.

http://reds.enquirer.com/2003/11/08/red1_zoom.jpg
Friends ponder Stenson death
Something 'nobody is ever prepared for'

By Kevin Kelly
The Cincinnati Enquirer

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - A pair of wrap-around sunglasses hid his eyes, which were reddened from the sobbing.

Stephen Smitherman stood beside Joe Valentine and Brian Shackelford, their shoulders slouched, on the third baseline during a moment of silence Friday at Scottsdale Stadium.

Scottsdale Scorpions teammates of Dernell Stenson during a moment of silence honoring Stenson at the Scorpions' game Friday.

Smitherman outstretched his muscular arms and embraced those friends linked to a tragedy by the very Cincinnati Reds uniforms on their backs.

Behind them, hanging in the Scottsdale Scorpions dugout, was another Reds jersey.

No. 63.

Three days have passed since police in Chandler, Ariz., discovered the dead body of Reds outfielder Dernell Stenson, who had been shot and run over with his own car.

"It's not even about baseball right now," Smitherman said. "It's about not letting the situation itself bring you down as a person, because Dernell wouldn't want you to be that way."

The first Arizona Fall League game since Stenson's death early Wednesday - a 7-2 win against Peoria at Scottsdale Stadium - provided insight into who Stenson was as a player and friend, the final hours of his life and the grief that has stricken those in the wake of his death.

The funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. Monday at the First Baptist Church on the Square in LaGrange, Ga., where Stenson was born and still resided.

"Something is going to be done, because justice is going to prevail regardless," Smitherman said. "Regardless of whether it's in this life or another."

Chandler police have a good idea who was involved in the death of the 25-year-old, who played in 37 games with the Reds last season and was one of the AFL's leading hitters.

They have arrested two men and are searching for a third, 20-year-old David Griffith, who is considered armed and dangerous.

Reginald Riddle, 19, was arrested late Thursday and was being held on charges of homicide, armed robbery and kidnapping.

"It's obviously something that nobody is ever prepared for," said Scottsdale manager Rick Burleson, who managed Triple-A Louisville at the end of last season. "It wouldn't be any less significant if it was a car accident or something like that.

"But the way it happened, for me that's a big tragedy. Why bad things sometimes happen to good people, I don't think anybody will ever know."

Burleson first received word that Stenson was missing at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

Two hours passed before Burleson and the rest of his team learned of Stenson's death.

"The detectives came (into the clubhouse) with some photos of Dernell," Burleson said. "He was positively identified as the individual who had passed away.

"That's about the time the team had to be dressed. We went in and addressed the team at that time. It was then decided the games would be called for that night. We wouldn't have been able to play with the way the players reacted."

Authorities found no identification on Stenson at the crime scene but found his name on registration papers inside his black 2002 Isuzu Rodeo.

Kevin Riddle, 43, was driving the car when Mesa police pulled him over two hours after the killing. He was arrested Wednesday and charged with possession of stolen property. He was booked into a Maricopa County jail and was being held on $10,080 bond.

"It just makes you think twice about even getting in your car or driving somewhere," said Reds catcher Dane Sardinha, who along with Smitherman started against Peoria. "I have a hard time going to sleep now, because I don't know if somebody is going to come in my house and do something like that."

Stenson had last been seen late Tuesday at Sugar Daddy's, a Scottsdale bar frequented by Arizona Fall League players.

Valentine, Shackelford and Reds pitcher David Gil saw Stenson alone at the bar around 11:30 p.m.

"We were walking outside to the patio and he said he'd see us back there," Valentine said. "But we didn't see him.

"We didn't get a goodbye, which was definitely unusual. If he was leaving before us or after us, he would always make sure he would come up and say goodbye. That night, we didn't think anything

of it."

Among the first outside the Scorpions clubhouse to learn of Stenson's death was Scottsdale fan Susan Price.

The Chandler resident, who attends almost every Scorpions game, had just dropped off her weekly batch of brownies and cookies to the Scottsdale clubhouse when Scorpions pitcher Michael Gallo approached her and told her the news.

Two days earlier, Price had missed the Scorpions game because she was sick. On Tuesday, Stenson approached her.

"Dernell made a point of saying, 'We missed you. Are you feeling better?' " Price said. "That made me feel good. I'm just a fan, and he didn't have to do that.

"He went out of his way to make me feel good, and he succeeded."

Monday's Scorpions game is likely to be canceled for the funeral. Several players are expected to attend.

At that time, they will present Stenson's mother with her son's bat. Scottsdale players used the bat during their first at-bats Friday.

"All we have now are memories of being with him," said Scottsdale bench coach Garey Ingram, who roomed with Stenson while both played in the Red Sox farm system during the 1999 and 2000 seasons.

"It's just a bad thing, bad timing. He's always going to be in our hearts. I just hope they find out who's done this."

TeamBoone
04-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Now you've gone and done it. It just wrenches my stomach every time.

Ironically, as I watched Brandon Phillips play last night, my thoughts wandered to Dernell... where might he be today?

TeamBoone
04-22-2006, 01:33 PM
It's sickening what these Federally Protected 'witnesses' can get away with.

And those with diplomatic immunity.

savafan
05-08-2006, 01:53 PM
His son will be throwing out the first pitch at the Hall of Fame game.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0508redsnotesweb.html

Speaking of Griffey, when the Reds play an exhibition game against the Pittsburgh Pirates a week from today in Cooperstown, N.Y., Kobe Stenson will throw out the first pitch, at the request of Griffey.

Stenson, 4, is a son of former Reds outfielder Dernell Stenson, gunned down during a robbery in Phoenix during the 2003 Arizona Fall League. Griffey was scheduled to meet the kid and asked the Hall of Fame if Kobe could throw out a first pitch.

That, of course, is assuming Griffey will be with the Reds at the time. His knee will be tested with drills Tuesday and a decision will be made after that abut his immediate future.

KronoRed
05-08-2006, 03:01 PM
That's cool of JR to ask :)

TeamBoone
05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Classy act by Jr.

Unassisted
01-25-2008, 03:08 PM
This is from today. I'm surprised that Dernell's accused killer hadn't been sentenced yet.

2-1/2 years later...

http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/0125abrk-riddle0125.html

Man gets life for murder of baseball player

Zach Fowle
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 25, 2008 10:54 AM

The man found guilty of the 2003 murder of Cincinnati Reds outfielder Dernell Stenson was sentenced to life in prison Friday.

Reginald Riddle, 23, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder as part of a plea agreement in 2006. Under Arizona law, he must be sentenced to life in prison, but Superior Court Judge Robert Gottsfield decided Friday morning that Riddle would be eligible for parole after 25 years.

Defense Attorney Steve Koestner made the case that Riddle was simply a person who got swept up in an incident by people he trusted, to which Gottsfield agreed.

"I believe that this man is a follower, and has never been a leader," Gottsfield said during the hearing in Phoenix.

Riddle, originally from Illinois, informed the judge that he has received numerous death threats from inmates in his current facility and requested that he be transferred to a prison outside Arizona. Gottsfield said he would submit a recommendation for the transfer.

Authorities said that on Nov. 5, 2003, Riddle and his accomplice, David Griffith, kidnapped Stenson from a Scottsdale bar, shot him in the head and chest and threw him from his car in Chandler. His hands and feet bound.

Riddle's older half-brother, Kevin, was also arrested after he was caught in possession of Stenson's Isuzu Rodeo. Authorities said Riddle and Griffith enlisted his help in getting rid of the car. Kevin Riddle was found guilty of auto theft, hindering prosecution and attempted hindering prosecution in October 2004 and was sentenced to 8 ¾ years in prison.

Griffith was sentenced in December 2007 to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

kheidg-
01-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Good news

NJReds
01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
After reading this...

Authorities said that on Nov. 5, 2003, Riddle and his accomplice, David Griffith, kidnapped Stenson from a Scottsdale bar, shot him in the head and chest and threw him from his car in Chandler. His hands and feet bound.

The following makes me sick to my stomach...

Defense Attorney Steve Koestner made the case that Riddle was simply a person who got swept up in an incident by people he trusted, to which Gottsfield agreed.

"I believe that this man is a follower, and has never been a leader," Gottsfield said during the hearing in Phoenix.

Riddle, originally from Illinois, informed the judge that he has received numerous death threats from inmates in his current facility and requested that he be transferred to a prison outside Arizona. Gottsfield said he would submit a recommendation for the transfer.

He deserves no mercy, no parole.

WMR
01-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Too bad Dernell won't get a chance to come back to life after 25 years. :rolleyes:

BULL****.

WebScorpion
01-28-2008, 11:11 AM
After reading this...

He deserves no mercy, no parole.

I agree. I just can't believe after tying another man up and then mercilessly taking his life, (including running him over with his own car,) that they're whining about death threats. See! Even the inmates agree you should have gotten the death penalty. If they decide to commute your sentence during your stay there, So BE IT! You made your bed, now lie in it.

The sad part is, the judge will probably grant their request to move to another prison. :rolleyes:

savafan
11-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Found myself thinking of Dernell tonight.

http://blog.syracuse.com/chiefs/2011/08/in_the_name_of_the_father_syra.html

Kobe Stenson was just 21 months old when his father died. He’s 9 years old now and a ball-player like his dad.

“He looks a lot like Dernell,’’ Bob Richards said of his grandson.

When Stenson made his major-league debut, the Reds gave him a uniform with the No. 63 on it. The Reds have given Kobe a couple of his father’s jerseys. This year, Kobe wore the number after making the Salt City Little League All-Star team.

“He can’t wear 63 during the season because the numbers don’t go that high and you can’t special order a jersey,’’ Bob Richards said. “But in all-stars, you can ask for a number.’’

Ghosts of 1990
11-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Hope young Stenson is making it into the big leagues to write a happier ending when I am getting into my older years. Dernell will be smiling.