View Full Version : Another day, another conspiracy theory

RBA
10-09-2004, 09:34 PM
http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/10/09/national/bulge.1841.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/09/politics/campaign/09bulge.html?oref=login

The Mystery of the Bulge in the Jacket
By ELISABETH BUMILLER

Published: October 9, 2004

WASHINGTON, Oct. 8 - What was that bulge in the back of President Bush's suit jacket at the presidential debate in Miami last week?

According to rumors racing across the Internet this week, the rectangular bulge visible between Mr. Bush's shoulder blades was a radio receiver, getting answers from an offstage counselor into a hidden presidential earpiece. The prime suspect was Karl Rove, Mr. Bush's powerful political adviser.

Advertisement

When the online magazine Salon published an article about the rumors on Friday, the speculation reached such a pitch that White House and campaign officials were inundated with calls.

First they said that pictures showing the bulge might have been doctored. But then, when the bulge turned out to be clearly visible in the television footage of the evening, they offered a different explanation.

"There was nothing under his suit jacket," said Nicolle Devenish, a campaign spokeswoman.

"It was most likely a rumpling of that portion of his suit jacket, or a wrinkle in the fabric."

Ms. Devenish could not say why the "rumpling" was rectangular.

Nor was the bulge from a bulletproof vest, according to campaign and White House officials; they said Mr. Bush was not wearing one.

WVRed
10-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Wrong, its a control machine. If it were to be destroyed, Bush would become an out of control mutant freak who would breathe fire and shoot lasers from his eyes. :devil:

He is our puppet for world takeover :mhcky21:

Chip R
10-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Wrong, its a control machine. If it were to be destroyed, Bush would become an out of control mutant freak who would breathe fire and shoot lasers from his eyes. :devil:

He is our puppet for world takeover :mhcky21:
He's Craaaaab People, Craaaaab People. Taste like crab, talk like people. ;)

WVRed
10-09-2004, 10:11 PM
He's Craaaaab People, Craaaaab People. Taste like crab, talk like people. ;)

Wouldnt be the first time. Just ask the Queer Eyes and the Jeffersons;).

(South Park for anybody who doesnt get it)

KronoRed
10-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Pod people?? :eek:

RedsBaron
10-10-2004, 07:16 AM

Does Bush plan to breathe fire and shoot lasers at Kerry in the third debate? Now that would be an "October surprise."
I can just see the debate now.....Kerry makes a point on a domestic policy issue. The moderator tells Bush that he has thirty seconds to respond. Bush vaporizes Kerry with a laser blast............ :devil:

GAC
10-10-2004, 08:36 AM
This was initially started by Salon.com (who also tried their best to give credibility to the Dan Rather story).

Nuff said.

Unassisted
10-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Animatronics

GAC
10-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Maybe it's a goiter! :D

RBA
10-10-2004, 01:28 PM
I think it could be a Manzere or Bro invented by Kramer.

RedFanAlways1966
10-10-2004, 01:50 PM
It's been solved!! I found this at one of my favorite "left-leaning" sites, which would never fabricate stories. It's his Power Pack...

Lost In Washington D.C. - The Power Pack
WASHINGTON, Oct. 10 - What was that bulge in the back of President Bush's suit jacket at the presidential debate in Miami last week? According to rumors racing across the Internet this week, the rectangular bulge visible between Mr. Bush's shoulder blades was a Power Pack, which keeps the president functioning. The prime suspect was Dick Cheney, Mr. Bush's powerful and evil vice president.

Inside sources have revealed that Dick Cheney is actually an intergalactic doctor of governmental psychology and an agent for an enemy foreign government. Cheney is known to change his appearance between his true identity and the look the world knows as Dick Cheney.

Prior to the George W. Bush’s run for U.S. President and after serving in Pres. George H. Bush’s cabinet, Cheney programmed a robot and surgically made it look like Bush. He then kidnapped Bush and secretly put the robot in his place. He had programmed “Bush” to destroy the earth eight hours after his inauguration. While making last minute adjustments to ensure a successful sabotage, Cheney becomes trapped when he asked to be vice president. The plan is thrown off course by Cheney’s dilemma. Despite being fully aware of Cheney’s evil intentions, GOP leaders allow Cheney to remain with them in their quest to lower high-income taxes and gain control of the Earth.

Although Democrats constantly bash him for his actions and demeanor, Cheney remains in control. Cheney is a chronic schemer and haphazard button pusher. He is also known for repeatedly unleashing war and illegal governmental contracts, and has a secret "love/hate" relationship with the robot (Bush) whom he constantly berates with insults known as "Cheneyisms".

GAC
10-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Maybe he's a Borg!!!!! :eek:

KronoRed
10-11-2004, 01:24 PM

We need Captain Picard then :D

RedsBaron
10-11-2004, 06:57 PM
"Resistance is futile"

KronoRed
10-11-2004, 07:22 PM
More likely Cheney is the borg and Bush is drone #1 ;)

macro
10-16-2004, 07:58 AM
It seems that this issue dropped off the map pretty quickly. I was not satisfied with the explanation that it was a wrinkle in his jacket. A jacket stretched tightly across a man's back is not going to just wrinkle right in the middle. I'm not saying he was being communicated with, but I'm not satisifed that no explanation was ever given.

GAC
10-16-2004, 08:07 AM
If he was being communicated with, we have wireless technology, and receiving mechanisms so small they fit into the ear unnoticeable. Do you think he'd have to wear this big bulky box strapped to his back?

Chip R
10-16-2004, 09:23 AM
If he was being communicated with, we have wireless technology, and receiving mechanisms so small they fit into the ear unnoticeable. Do you think he'd have to wear this big bulky box strapped to his back?
I agree. I don't know what it was but if they were going to outfit him with a radio receiver, don't you think that it would be small enough so it wasn't noticeable?

RBA
10-16-2004, 10:12 AM
What was it? He had it on all three debates. Not that it helped him much. :MandJ:

macro
10-16-2004, 12:01 PM

Like I said, I'm not saying that I think he was doing anything wrong, and you make an excellent point. But you also admitted in your reply that it was a "big bulky box", which is in conflict with the campaign spokeswoman's denial that there was anything at all underneath there. If it was nothing that would cause controversy, then why did she deny it's very existence? That would seem to be creating the appearance of guilt where none should exist.

wally post
10-16-2004, 12:28 PM
well, FWIW, I've never seen a wireless pack smaller than that size on his back. This is exactly the size that I've seen for receivers (used around the world on stages by singers, etc). There's a whole lot of RF happening on a TV set and I'd imagine he WOULD need this type of receiver to receive info. The big question is whether there is an earpiece visible inside one of his ears. IF not, then it's not a receiver. What's wierd is that it's not on his belt behind his back - that's where people usually mount them and they aren't too visible then. Maybe our president needs a rock and roll stage crew to get better at this stuff....
If he was doing that, to me it would be very very risky - so I personally doubt that he was "wired" for sound. But it is odd.

GAC
10-16-2004, 12:51 PM
But you also admitted in your reply that it was a "big bulky box", which is in conflict with the campaign spokeswoman's denial that there was anything at all underneath there. If it was nothing that would cause controversy, then why did she deny it's very existence? That would seem to be creating the appearance of guilt where none should exist.

My use of "big bulky box" was not to imply that I think that's what it is; but was in response to what others who started this story were implying (i.e. a receiver).

That is why I replied the way I did... we have the technology today where he could simply have a wireless ear piece w/ no receiver attached. They were talking about this picture on the news the other day, and they had some communication tech reps on there with gadgets that were wireless and basically "invisible", that they could have used if they had chosen to be fed info and not wanting to be detected.

The obvious give-away would have been if Bush had started spouting off the lyrics to "Stairway To Heaven" in the middle of a response, due to interference. :lol:

letsgojunior
10-16-2004, 02:20 PM
http://www.isbushwired.com/

Apparently there's now a site dedicated to this. :lol:

I really can't imagine that Bush is wired though, to be honest. If that's the case, then whoever's feeding him info is doing just a terrible job. He's had to many gaffes: the Osama bin Laden quote which he denied, "rumors on the internets", giving an answer on tort reform when the question was about flu shots, etc.

smith288
10-16-2004, 09:08 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,384558,00.jpg

Its quite obvious its material from his jacket. This is a photo from the 3rd debate.

macro
10-17-2004, 01:02 AM
[url]He's had to many gaffes: the Osama bin Laden quote which he denied, "rumors on the internets"...

That word "Internets" caught my attention during the debate, too. Then Saturday Night Live came down hard on him for it. In the parody the guy playing him used the word Internets many times, each time emphasizing the "s" on the end. :MandJ: They've poked at Kerry, too, so I guess they're equal opportunity.

RBA
10-17-2004, 01:13 AM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,384558,00.jpg

Its quite obvious its material from his jacket. This is a photo from the 3rd debate.

http://www.washingtondispatch.com/spectrum/archives/bushbulge2.jpg

Really> take a closer look.

GAC
10-17-2004, 07:57 AM
From the angle you show RBA, it sure doesn't look like the very first picture that appeared to show a rectangular box. It now has changed shape. How can that be? Or maybe it does give credence to that it may simply have been the wrinkles in his jacket material.

Now if when he shook Kerry's hand, Kerry's hair stood on end and his eyes bugged out, then I might go along that Bush was wired. :lol:

Phoenix
10-17-2004, 03:11 PM
This is great for Bush. They want to keep this "issue" going. At the end of the day it only reinforces the lengths the Left is going to smear Bush and will turn off undecided voters. An even better conspiracy-theory for those among us is that the Bush campaign seeks to keep this going. And look...I think RBA and Macro BELIEVE it!

(If you think that anyone requires a bulky box taped to their back for communication than you are woefully uninformed about technology in 2004.)

RBA
10-17-2004, 03:17 PM
I don't believe it's a wire but something completely different. Why don't the Bush people please level with the American people? Why does Bush refuse to take his annual physical delaying until after the election.

I never said it was a wire.

Reds4Life
10-17-2004, 03:26 PM
It's the hard plate in a bulletproof vest, boys and girls. When the plates are stitched in they layer kevlar around it to support the plate and offer extra protection, it tends to bulk that area up. I worked for the Secret Service for years; it's not uncommon for Presidents to wear vests during debates or public events, especially for Bush. According to some friends of mine still working their he wears one quite often. I’m surprised he wears one as often as he does, they are very uncomfortable and hot. You typically sweat you rear end off wearing one of those things.

As for the White House saying it wasn't a vest, of course that's what they say. They will never tell you the truth on anything regarding protection details. It's Secret Service policy to NEVER divulge any information regarding presidential security.

RBA
10-17-2004, 03:32 PM
It's the hard plate in a bulletproof vest, boys and girls. When the plates are stitched in they layer kevlar around it to support the plate and offer extra protection, it tends to bulk that area up. I worked for the Secret Service for years; it's not uncommon for Presidents to wear vests during debates or public events, especially for Bush. According to some friends of mine still working their he wears one quite often. I’m surprised he wears one as often as he does, they are very uncomfortable and hot. You typically sweat you rear end off wearing one of those things.

As for the White House saying it wasn't a vest, of course that's what they say. They will never tell you the truth on anything regarding protection details. It's Secret Service policy to NEVER divulge any information regarding presidential security.

Well, doesn't the Secret Service have to give the same protection to the challenger (maybe not exactly the same, but close.) So a good reason the white house doesn't comment on it maybe the "Wimp" factor. As Kerry not wearing one and Bush is. The Bush people don't want to damage their meme that Bush as a hero. I don't personnally think wearing a Vest is being a wimp, but I know a lot of dumbasses that do.

Reds4Life
10-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Well, doesn't the Secret Service have to give the same protection to the challenger (maybe not exactly the same, but close.) So a good reason the white house doesn't comment on it maybe the "Wimp" factor. As Kerry not wearing one and Bush is. The Bush people don't want to damage their meme that Bush as a hero. I don't personnally think wearing a Vest is being a wimp, but I know a lot of dumbasses that do.

The level of security really isn't the same. The detail assigned to Kerry uses the same methods and tatics, but the number of agents in his detail is nothing compared to what Bush has.

Reccomendations about vests, and other things, are made to each but the final decision remains with the principal (W or Kerry). They don't have to wear the vest, but the SS can strongly reccomend it. BTW, don't assume Kerry wasn't wearing a vest for any of those debates because I'd bet he was during at least one of them. It really doesn't have anything to do with the "wimp factor" either, it's the Secret Service procedure to never comment, so it wouldn't matter who the President is.

RBA
10-17-2004, 04:05 PM
The level of security really isn't the same. The detail assigned to Kerry uses the same methods and tatics, but the number of agents in his detail is nothing compared to what Bush has.

Reccomendations about vests, and other things, are made to each but the final decision remains with the principal (W or Kerry). They don't have to wear the vest, but the SS can strongly reccomend it. BTW, don't assume Kerry wasn't wearing a vest for any of those debates because I'd bet he was during at least one of them. It really doesn't have anything to do with the "wimp factor" either, it's the Secret Service procedure to never comment, so it wouldn't matter who the President is.

I understand the Secret Service does not comment. But let's be honest, if Bush is wearing one and Kerry isn't, the White House doesn't want that known.

GAC
10-17-2004, 04:37 PM
I don't believe it's a wire but something completely different. Why don't the Bush people please level with the American people? Why does Bush refuse to take his annual physical delaying until after the election.

I never said it was a wire.

Maybe he wants to die in office? :rolleyes:

Your wild assumptions are bordering on the ridiculous, do you realize that? Maybe not.

GAC
10-17-2004, 04:38 PM
I understand the Secret Service does not comment. But let's be honest, if Bush is wearing one and Kerry isn't, the White House doesn't want that known.

Why does Kerry need one? :mhcky21:

RFS62
10-17-2004, 05:31 PM
You guys are starting to really worry me.

pedro
10-17-2004, 09:37 PM
i think it's the stick up his.......

Unassisted
01-13-2005, 05:36 PM
I had missed this wild theory.
http://houston.indymedia.org/news/2004/12/35839.php

George W. Bush apparently is wearing a medical device for "persons at risk of cardiac arrest." It is a LifeVest wearable defibrillator. He started using it sometime after his January 2002 fainting spell, which was attributed to choking. Based on photos showing him wearing the device, one can conclude the fainting was due to atrial fibrillation (AF), which his father also had. His father's AF was caused by Graves' hyperthyroidism, which his mother also has. Bush likely has AF and less likely Graves', based on his family history and symptoms. The AF may have caused a stroke or TIA (mini-stroke), of which physicians watching the debates detected symptoms. Observers have noted psychological symptoms consistent with this and with Wernicke-Korsakoff disease.http://houston.indymedia.org/uploads/lifevest_duo_back.jpg

RBA
01-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Maybe he wants to die in office? :rolleyes:

Your wild assumptions are bordering on the ridiculous, do you realize that? Maybe not.

Looks like my wild assumptions may not be far off the mark.

I don't know why you guys even bother responding to me, you know I'm usually right. You do realize that? Maybe not?

GAC
01-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Nah! You're left....real far left. :lol: