PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading now?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Roy Tucker
06-24-2010, 06:23 PM
I really enjoyed that book. He's a great writer.

I'm about halfway through "That Old Cape Magic" by Richard Russo which is very good as I expected it would be.

Yeah, with some writers, their prose just flows effortlessly and naturally though my head. Chabon is one of them.

My wife just got that Russo book from the library. We're going to both try to get it read in the 2 weeks we have it.

Jack Burton
07-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Just finished 'The Last Temptation of Christ'. Yes, it is accomplished.

RichRed
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Just finished Darryl Brock's "If I Never Get Back" and am about to start another baseball-themed novel by Brock - "Havana Heat."

TRF
07-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Jim Butcher's Fool Moon: Book 2 of the Dresden Files.

Yachtzee
07-06-2010, 11:41 PM
One of my favorite books ever. If you have not read "a prayer for Owen meany" I can not recommend it enough.

I really enjoyed "A Prayer for Owen Meany" and "Hotel New Hampshire." That got me and my wife into reading a bunch of John Irving, but after a while, I got tired of his books. He tends to go back to the same themes a lot. After a while I wanted to tell Irving, "Okay, I get it. There are some things that are just close to your heart. I enjoy your writing but there are some themes I'm just a little weary of. Can you write about something else now?" I think the last one I read was "A Widow For One Year."

I just finished reading Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" on my Droid. It was nothing at all like the classic Frankenstein movies. It's much deeper than just a monster story.

bucksfan2
07-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Deliver Us From Evil by David Baldacci. About 200 pages in and it is an enjoyable read.

Reds Freak
07-13-2010, 10:51 AM
I've never been a big fiction reader but I read A Time to Kill by John Grisham at the beach last month because I forgot my book and that's what my sister had. I loved it, it was a real page turner for me. I've since read The Pelican Brief had liked it just as well. Looking for more John Grisham suggestions for my next read...

Chip R
07-13-2010, 10:55 AM
I've never been a big fiction reader but I read A Time to Kill by John Grisham at the beach last month because I forgot my book and that's what my sister had. I loved it, it was a real page turner for me. I've since read The Pelican Brief had liked it just as well. Looking for more John Grisham suggestions for my next read...

I'm not a big reader of Grisham but A Painted House is pretty good and also many baseball references - mainly to the Cardinals.

bucksfan2
07-13-2010, 11:06 AM

All of them. The Innocent Man is a great work of non-fiction. The Rainmaker was my favorite Grisham novel. Even his short stories book Ford County Stories is entertaining. But you really can't go wrong with anything he writes. FWIW the novels are much, much better than the movies.

reds1869
07-13-2010, 11:27 AM
I just started reading The Iowa Baseball Confederacy. So far it is a blast like all Kinsella. I bought it the other day because I couldn't believe I'd never read it.

Chip R
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I just started reading The Iowa Baseball Confederacy. So far it is a blast like all Kinsella. I bought it the other day because I couldn't believe I'd never read it.

Oh, that is a good one. I hope you enjoy it.

KittyDuran
07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I can't remember if I ever responded to this thread + I'm too lazy to look it up... :p: I'm usually a non-fiction reader (mainly historical). Here are some I've read in the past 6 months...

World Only Lit By Fire
Year 1000
Ghost of Vesuvius
The Great Mortality
The Human Story
Desire of the Everlasting Hills

I'm now reading some fiction... starting off with Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. Pretty entertaining but I got a head start by looking at some of the clips from the BBC special shown a couple months ago on youtube.

OldRightHander
07-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Foreign Influence by Brad Thor, about halfway through it.

joshnky
07-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Jim Butcher's Fool Moon: Book 2 of the Dresden Files.

Good series. I just read the latest book, "Changes." It wasn't one of the better books in the series but still enjoyable.

Butcher writes another series that is my personal favorite, "Codex Alera." Its not at all like the "Dresden Files," but is an excellent fantasy series.

bucksfan2
07-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Foreign Influence by Brad Thor, about halfway through it.

How is it? Thor is one of my favorite authors. Most of his Horvath stuff is top notch.

OldRightHander
07-16-2010, 10:37 AM
How is it? Thor is one of my favorite authors. Most of his Horvath stuff is top notch.

Excellent as usual.

Roy Tucker
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Beach books read with feet in the ocean and watching pelicans...

"The Girl Who Played With Fire" Steig Larsson - #2 book in the trilogy, great fun, very well plotted and great characters. Prose loses a little in the translation but who cares. The proverbial roller-coaster ride. I very much recommend these Steig Larsson books.

"South of Broad" Pat Conroy - if you like Conroy, you'll like this book. I like him, so I thought it was very good. Larger-than-life characters and very stylish.

Jack Burton
07-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Just finished 'Of Human Bondage'. Great read

OldRightHander
07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/books/devilsbroodcov.jpg

BillDoran
07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Just finished 'Of Human Bondage'. Great read

Just read up on Maugham the other week. Anxious to begin reading him. I think I'll start with "The Razor's Edge" though. "Of Human Bondage" sounds like a foundation rattler to me, just currently don't have the time to dive into something that dense (both literally and figuratively).

Picked up "Blood Meridian" from the library yesterday. Pretty excited to start my first Cormac McCarthy book.

Chip R
07-21-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83827