PDA

View Full Version : gagne for johnson?

boobhat
02-28-2005, 03:28 AM
would you trade randy johnson for eric gagne? i am talking to a guy now about making this move with the only remaining catch being what round draft choice should i recieve. any suggestions?

Carter
02-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Gagne is a very valuable. If you have the opportunity to trade Johnson for him do it. With Randy's age, and being in NY now I don't expect the same old from him. Gagne's saves and his ability are more than worth it. He is automatic.

TeamBoone
02-28-2005, 07:27 PM
02/25/2005 1:30 PM ET

MRI reveals mild sprain for Gagne
Closer expected to resume throwing next week
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

Eric Gagne is expected to resume throwing next week on flat ground and graduate back to the mound as healing continues.

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- An MRI on Eric Gagne's left knee Friday confirmed a mild sprain of the medial collateral ligament and the entire Dodgers organization breathed a literal sigh of relief.

"Good news," said trainer Stan Johnston. "He won't throw for about a week, until it gets calmed down. It takes six weeks for full recovery, but he'll be pitching in games here. If this was the season, he'd be taped and he'd be pitching."

Johnston said Gagne would resume throwing next week on flat ground and graduate back to the mound as healing continues. Gagne already was on a conservative throwing schedule, earned to conserve his arm for the rigors of a long season.

Prior to the MRI, Gagne reported to Dodgertown with a slight limp, but was able to participate in a one-hour cardiovascular exercise and said he was confident the injury, suffered Thursday, was minor.

"It feels about the same as yesterday, maybe a little better," said Gagne. "They told me if there's swelling, something's wrong. There's none, no fluid in there. I'll be fine. It feels like a little bruise.

"There's no sharp pain. I'm not really worried about it. I'm not a doctor, but I know it's not serious."

Gagne said he has no history of knee problems and he has spent no time on a Major League disabled list, but his career has not been injury-free. He missed his second professional season in 1997 with Tommy John elbow reconstruction and has had to overcome back spasms the past two springs. He recently signed a two-year, $19 million contract extension.

Of course, the news Thursday that Gagne felt a pop in the knee when his cleats caught during a routine game of pepper did beg the obvious hypothetical -- what if he really was injured?

"That does raise an interesting question," said outfielder Jayson Werth. "The team is so molded around him. We overcame a lot of stuff last year that people didn't think we could overcome. We seem to find a way. Still, no closer has what he has. Without him, it really is a different team. It's not something we really want to find out."

Manager Jim Tracy said he wouldn't even think about who would replace Gagne as his closer.

"Only if I was told he wouldn't be here would I do that, and then it would be, how do we structure things to get through it?" he said.

With the trade last July of Guillermo Mota, there really is no apparent closer-in-waiting behind Gagne. Likely setup man Yhency Brazoban has two months of Major League service and Duaner Sanchez, another hard-thrower, has one full season.

"Brazoban's not ready for that kind of pressure, not yet," said veteran Wilson Alvarez.

Giovanni Carrara, who has three saves in four full seasons, said he knows what the team would do.

"We'd do what we did last year when they traded Mota," he said. "We'd pick [Gagne] up. We pick each other up when people think we can't. We've got guys to do it."

Perhaps. But Gagne has 152 career saves. The only other pitcher in camp with significant closer experience is Derek Lowe, but the last of his 85 career saves came in 2001 and the Dodgers are paying him $9 million a year to start.

Of the other pitchers in camp, non-roster reliever Aquilino Lopez had 14 saves with Toronto as a rookie in 2003 and no other pitcher has more than five Major League saves.

"You can't look at it like the season's down the tubes because one guy is out," said Jeff Weaver. "Obviously, he closes the door with an exclamation mark. But look at the Yankees. When Mariano Rivera gets hurt, you find somebody to take care of business. He's the elite, but he'd tell you that somebody's got to step up. Good teams do that."

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/news/la_news.jsp?ymd=20050225&content_id=950509&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp

TeamCasey
03-02-2005, 09:20 AM
I would! Without batting an eye.