PDA

View Full Version : AVG Anti-Virus

GAC
03-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Who all uses this? I've heard alot about it in the past, so I thought I'd give the free version a whirl on my kid's computer. They had Norton's, but as of late I've been having problems with it losing some of it's configuration files for no apparent reason, so I got fed up and jerked it off their computer.

Any special features I should know about AVG?

GIK
03-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Used it in the past on my old PC, seemed to work, but eventually bought McAfee.

TRF
03-11-2005, 09:37 AM
It's engine runs McAfee. Ironic huh?

definitions come out usually half hour earlier than McAfee too (or so I'm told) The free edition works great.

never pay for what is free.

Reds4Life
03-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I've been using AVG on all my PC's for a long time now, NEVER had any problems with it. Like you I had been using Nortons, but it's a resource hog and at one point was causing Windows to crash several times a day.

You can't go wrong with AVG.

Dom Heffner
03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I have AVG but my homepage is still currently hijacked...I downloded a hijack stopper, but then everytime I log on, I get to see "yumgo's" ad telling me my homepage is safe.

Norton told me a few days ago I had a "bloodhound" virus, and ever since the computer has been running just awful. I tried to restore to an earlier date but the system keeps saying this is not possible.

If anyone has an idea what to do, let me know.

ochre
03-11-2005, 10:53 AM
I use sophos if I have my druthers.

Spring~Fields
03-11-2005, 10:56 AM
losing some of it's configuration files for no apparent reason,

Nortons is not causing that problem. Anyone been downloading and then uninstalling on that computer, and when Windows shoots up the little popup about whether you want to keep this share file or not, is someone making a mistake and telling it NO.

Reds4Life
03-11-2005, 11:37 AM
I have AVG but my homepage is still currently hijacked...I downloded a hijack stopper, but then everytime I log on, I get to see "yumgo's" ad telling me my homepage is safe.

Norton told me a few days ago I had a "bloodhound" virus, and ever since the computer has been running just awful. I tried to restore to an earlier date but the system keeps saying this is not possible.

Run Hijack-this and post the file on the Hijack boards and let them take a look at it. Or you could always reformat.

TRF
03-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Run Hijack-this and post the file on the Hijack boards and let them take a look at it. Or you could always reformat.

absolutely. best thing to do barring a reformat.

KronoRed
03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Parents run it, they love it

GAC
03-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Nortons is not causing that problem. Anyone been downloading and then uninstalling on that computer, and when Windows shoots up the little popup about whether you want to keep this share file or not, is someone making a mistake and telling it NO.

Ah! I don't see how that could be happening in this household with two teenagers who seem to think they can go anywhere on the internet with impunity, and have no idea what they are doing half the time! :lol:

Whenever I got that "message" I'd click OK and it would continue to boot up into the desktop, but without any of the desktop icons.

When it happened the first time I tried to use the 98 S/U disk, but with no success. So I formatted and reloaded. It worked fine. My daughter comes in that afternoon and says it did it again (same thing). So I formatted again, and this time downloaded AVG.

So far the computer is running fine.

And if anyone is looking for a really god spyware program, then I recommend Spyware Doctor. C/NET gives it a 5 star rating, and IMO, it is well worth the investment (around $25). It warns you if you are accidentally trying to access/open a website that has malware, and then asks you if you want to proceed or not. If you click NO, it prevents that site from opening. It has saved me quite a few times.

GAC
03-11-2005, 09:09 PM

I've gotten those before Dom. reboot into Safe Mode and then run Norton's again. It will then delete that file. If not, you can click on the virus and write down the path, and then go in and delete it yourself.

Norton's also has special software called Adware.Huntbar that will look for and eliminate hijackers.

You can also Google and download CW Shredder which is also good at eliminating hijackers.

Spring~Fields
03-11-2005, 11:42 PM

Let Micro Trend scan you computer and see if it can detect a virus and clean it. They also have a scanner for spyware. It is free and online.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Then try CNET for a registry cleaner to get rid of the Hijack

Dom Heffner
03-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys, for the great advice. I'll be applying it in the next few minutes :)

GAC
03-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Let Micro Trend scan you computer and see if it can detect a virus and clean it. They also have a scanner for spyware. It is free and online.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Then try CNET for a registry cleaner to get rid of the Hijack

I used that Micro Trend just to see what it would do. It says it found 19 viruses on my computer. It then deleted 6 of them, but said 13 were "inaccessible", meaning they were still there. It did though give the paths to the remaining 13. But when I tried to find them, using those file paths, those files didn't exist. So I updated and ran Nortons and it said my computer was clean.

Also... do those registry cleaners really work? Is there a chance they can screw up your registry? If not, then what one do you recommend?

BoydsOfSummer
03-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I used the crap cleaner (ccleaner) off that MajorGeeks site. It cleared over 500mb of ...well,crap,off my system. It also has a registry fixer thingy which I was reluctant to run. I saved the current registry just in case (it was easy to do with the proggie). It did that with no probs and this beast is spittin' thunder and crappin' lightning like the day I bought it. I can reccomend it,but won't accept resposibilty for it if you crash...heh.

GAC
03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
I have Norton System Works on my computer. And as someone stated earlier, it's a resource killer. I'm thinking of taking it off and giving this AVG anti-virus a shot. So far I really like it on my kid's computer, and I have other programs that do the same things that Norton's System Works does (Disk Dr, etc).

What do some of you experts think? A good move or not?

Spring~Fields
03-14-2005, 10:12 AM
I used that Micro Trend just to see what it would do. It says it found 19 viruses on my computer. It then deleted 6 of them, but said 13 were "inaccessible", meaning they were still there. It did though give the paths to the remaining 13. But when I tried to find them, using those file paths, those files didn't exist. So I updated and ran Nortons and it said my computer was clean.

Also... do those registry cleaners really work? Is there a chance they can screw up your registry? If not, then what one do you recommend?

I don't really know how to respond to that above, 19 viruses :yikes: Now did it say you had 19 files infected or 19 different viruses? I use Nortons and double check it once in awhile with Housecall, and I have never had any discrepancies between the two. Yes the registry cleaners do work, and yes you should make a backup before using one, I don't make a backup, but I have been known to be foolish too. :devil:

TRF
03-14-2005, 12:55 PM
CCleaner cleared about 150 MB off my computer at work (which is about 6 months old) i can't wait to try it at home.

GAC here is a few tips, some of which you may already be doing.

Use Firefox instead of IE
Use a personal firewall (ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall)
Use multiple anti-spyware programs. I recommend Ad-Aware, SpyBot, SpySubtract and Microsofts spyware remover. Definitely get Spy Subtract, as it contains CW Shredder.
Get Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/)
Be very wary of P2P software.
Get something that will mask your computers IP, like a router. cost - $50-100.

Most of the items above are free or very cheap.

TRF
03-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Just ran ccleaner at home.

wow.

I freed 2 GIGS of space. my computer is now running faster (noticed this after rebooting) and it doesn't bluescreen when i try to burn a cd.

wow.

GAC
03-14-2005, 09:13 PM
CCleaner cleared about 150 MB off my computer at work (which is about 6 months old) i can't wait to try it at home.

GAC here is a few tips, some of which you may already be doing.

Use Firefox instead of IE
Use a personal firewall (ZoneAlarm or Sygate Personal Firewall)
Use multiple anti-spyware programs. I recommend Ad-Aware, SpyBot, SpySubtract and Microsofts spyware remover. Definitely get Spy Subtract, as it contains CW Shredder.
Get Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/)
Be very wary of P2P software.
Get something that will mask your computers IP, like a router. cost - $50-100.

Most of the items above are free or very cheap.

1) I do use Firefox. But how/where do I go in and make this my default browser?

2) I have Zone Alarm, but I'm having trouble with it right now. I can't get it configured so that it wil let my kid's computer, which is networked with mine, communicate with my (the host) computer. So when it is on, they cannot get on the internet. So I have to keep shutting it down when they want to get on the 'net. I went to their computer and using "winipcfg" in RUN found their computer's IP Address and added it to Zone Alarm's "Trusted Zone" (which is what they tell me to do); but it still not working. So I am still trying to figure this situation out.

My kid's computer has Win98 OS, and mine has XP. We are networked via a cat5 cable between the computers, an ethernet card in each, and Neighborhood Network. No router involved. And it works fine. But somehow, Zone Alarm is interrupting the networking when activated.

3) I have all the spyware removal programs you list, plus I also have Microsoft's Beta version of spyware removal and I just got Spyware Doctor, which I like above all the rest. It stops/warns you if you are inadvertently trying to access a site that has malware/spyware. And if you say NO, it prevents the site from opening. You can try it for 30 days free before purchasing.

4) What is P2P software? My kids go onto alot of these gaming sites where they have to download these games. And they pick up alot of spyware. My oldest boy is into these emulators in order to play various video games. Do they contain alot of malware/spyware?

5) I downlaoded, and will give this Stinger a try. Thanks.

6) I also have CCleaner. I have other software that does basically the same thing too. CleanSpace8 works great; but it only works with IE and Netscape, and not Firefox.

Again.... I'm still considering removing Norton System Works from my computer due to the fact it is a HUGE resource killer, and giving this AVG anti-virus a try. Ialso like Panda AV. Alot of the peripheral stuff that comes in System Works I already have in other software (Disk Clean Up, History/Temp/Cookie cleanup, etc). Plus I can use Disk Defrag in XP.

What do you guys think? Is Norton System Works worth it? Or is it overkill.

I have HS cable internet with Charter Communications (external cable modem box at my computer). They now offer AV/Firewall protection; but I currently don't have it because I have my own. But their tech guy said that when mine expires, that I should consider going to them because it is FREE. But I can't run both at the same time on my computer. I would have to remove what I have to go to theirs. But I have apprehensions because I am wondering how secure/safe theirs is. I'm basically placing my computer into their hands.

TRF
03-15-2005, 09:50 AM
P2P is peer to peer software also known as file sharing, Do you or your kids run programs like Kazaa or Morpheus?

I'd seach ZoneAlarm's site about networked computers.

In Firefox go to tools/options/general. Click the check if default browser button.

GAC
03-15-2005, 08:34 PM
P2P is peer to peer software also known as file sharing, Do you or your kids run programs like Kazaa or Morpheus?

NO! I completely forbid it. I use to have Kazaalite; but got rid of a long time ago.

My daughter has MSN Messenger (restricts her list to school friends only). But I heard it can give you problems.

I'd seach ZoneAlarm's site about networked computers.

Yeah, I'm still checking into that. I already got one email back from them and they told me to add their computer's IP address to my "Trusted Zone", which I already did and it still doesn't work. They also say that sometimes this will not always work, and that you have to use the actual subnet information. But here is the problem.... On their computer in Network properties and under IP Address, they "obtain an IP Address automatically", and their is no subnet entered. So I am at a standstill again.

In Firefox go to tools/options/general. Click the check if default browser button.

Yeah, stupid me. I've been in there numerous times looking for it, and finally saw it today.... DUUH!

I got ahold of Charter this morning and talked with their tech trep about their free AV/Firewall service. It's provided by a company called FSecure

http://www.f-secure.com/

I got rid of Norton System Works this morning on my computer. Man did it vastly increase my computer speed/performance. I have AVG right now; but I'm thinking of going to Charter's free service.

Spring~Fields
03-16-2005, 01:17 AM
GAC,

I sent you some pages on registry cleaners in email that I have used that were highly rated for you to check out and to decide for yourself with their trial downloads.

GAC
03-16-2005, 08:59 PM
GAC,

I sent you some pages on registry cleaners in email that I have used that were highly rated for you to check out and to decide for yourself with their trial downloads.

Thanks SF.

I downloaded Charter's free AV/Firewall software yesterday and encountered the same problem with their firewall not allowing my kid's computer to communicate/get on the internet via mine (the host).

I spent 2 hours this morning with one of their tech support people trying to resolve the issue. He told me that with the current networking setup that I have (a direct cat5 connection between the two computers) there is no way I can configure the kid's computer to allow the firewall on this one to permit it. He said I am going to need to install a router where an IP address can be assigned allowing that computer to communicate.

He did try one thing though, which didn't work. He tried to add a second IP Address to my account and configure it to their computer. It wouldn't work. I thanked him for trying; but I am going to have to go the router route, which won't be so bad. I have a 3rd computer in my oldest boy's room that currently is not on the internet.

If I put a wireless router on this computer, I can still mantain the network with the other computer by hooking that cat5 cable into the router, and them go wireless with that 3rd computer.

Spring~Fields
03-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Cool let us know how the wireles router works out.

GAC
03-16-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm not that hip on wireless routers w/ cards. What do you recommend as far as easy set-up, performance, and cost? Here is a link to one page I'm looking at....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=35

I did some checking on the company that provides Charter's AV/Firewall Security. I had never heard of them (FSecure out of Finland). They are ranked #3 in the world in Internet security software. They update every 2 hours.

I had to disable the parental control though. It wouldn't let me on Redszone. Had something to do with the sabr-traditionalist arguments. :allovrjr:

Spring~Fields
03-16-2005, 09:16 PM
I had to disable the parental control though. It wouldn't let me on Redszone. Had something to do with the sabr-traditionalist arguments. :allovrjr:

:MandJ: :MandJ: "sabr-traditionalist arguments" Now was that the battle between the Pilgrims and the Einstein Fundamentalist? :mhcky21:

GAC
03-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey! I edited my above response to ask about wireless routers w/ cards. What do you recommend?

KronoRed
03-16-2005, 09:20 PM
You didn't ask me but.... ;)

I have friends who use D-Link stuff, they like it..I've always been a Linksys fan myself :D

Get the G..B is way slower.

Spring~Fields
03-16-2005, 09:34 PM

I have friends who use D-Link stuff, they like it..I've always been a Linksys fan myself :D

GAC,
Research first, increase the understanding to reduce the frustration to have a good outcome on the project then -
Like KronoR is saying those two D-Link and Linksys are the hot names out there now as far as I know.

GAC
03-17-2005, 09:22 AM

I throw my questions out for all eligible contestants to respond. :mhcky21:

Huh? What do you mean?

KronoRed
03-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Wireless standers

802.11b 11mbs a second
802.11g 54mbs a second

Go with G :D

Good site to set it up securely http://www.ezlan.net/index.html

GAC
03-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Since I am going to end up getting a wireless router at some point, should I then also get another card and get rid of the cat5 connection that I have currently with the other computer? Or should I keep that one and just go wireless with my son's (who currently has no internet)?

I'm thinking I should probably go wireless in the whole deal with both computers because it will be easier to configure the firewall.

Feedback?

GAC
03-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Wireless standers

802.11b 11mbs a second
802.11g 54mbs a second

Go with G :D

I can see I'm going to have to threaten you! :mhcky21:

What does "Go with G" mean? Speaka da Englais? :allovrjr:

GAC
03-17-2005, 09:29 AM
OK. I'm tired and ready for bed Krono. I figured it out! :lol:

KronoRed
03-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Yay :D

I'd go wireless with all the computers..IMO..just for simplicity sake

GAC
03-17-2005, 09:36 AM
OTAY!

:lol:

Roy Tucker
03-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Just FYI for what I've got at home...

I've got a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G). It's an 802.11g router which I'd recommend. That plugs right into my broadband modem (actually a bridge, modem is an analog term). Everything I have then either wirelessly or hardwired "plugs" into this router.

We have 2 PC's (XP and Win2K) and an old Sun UNIX box that are hardwired (Ethernet cable) into the router (besides its wireless capabilities, the router has 4 10/100 Ethernet ports).

I have another PC (XP) in my office with a wireless card that I use.

I bring home my work laptop (XP) and wirelessly connect to it.

My son has an xbox wireless adapter that he connects with for xbox live.

He also has a hardwired hub over by the xbox/PS2 for other kids to bring their boxes in and network them together.

A good site for learning about this stuff is http://www.linksys.com/edu/

And GAC, for God's sake, get rid of all that CAT5 screwiness for once and all. It's caused you nothing but headaches for months. You've burned up too much time and money trying to make it work. Go with an industry-standard, plug and play, major vendor, *easy* solution and you won't have to keep on posting these notes. I don't have a lick of trouble with my set up.

GAC
03-17-2005, 08:43 PM

I've got a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54G). It's an 802.11g router which I'd recommend. That plugs right into my broadband modem (actually a bridge, modem is an analog term). Everything I have then either wirelessly or hardwired "plugs" into this router.

We have 2 PC's (XP and Win2K) and an old Sun UNIX box that are hardwired (Ethernet cable) into the router (besides its wireless capabilities, the router has 4 10/100 Ethernet ports).

He also has a hardwired hub over by the xbox/PS2 for other kids to bring their boxes in and network them together.

A good site for learning about this stuff is http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Thanks for the info Roy.

And GAC, for God's sake, get rid of all that CAT5 screwiness for once and all. It's caused you nothing but headaches for months. You've burned up too much time and money trying to make it work. Go with an industry-standard, plug and play, major vendor, *easy* solution and you won't have to keep on posting these notes. I don't have a lick of trouble with my set up.

When I had it done several years ago I knew practically nothing about networking, and it was basically the only route one took. I don't think the wireless technology for home use was out there yet, or not as popular.

Actually, it works great; but it does present certain problems, such as firewall, because with a cat5 setup, the other computer does not use a separate IP Address but is utilizing/sharing the host IP. And when it comes to firewall setup it can't separate/configure their computer.

But you are correct Roy.... I need to get with the times. Hell! I was one of the last people to get rid of their 8-tracks. :lol:

KronoRed
03-17-2005, 09:04 PM

Can I come live with you? I'll pay rent :D

GAC
03-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Can I come live with you? I'll pay rent :D

Do you pay it now? :allovrjr:

KronoRed
03-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Smaty pants ;)

GAC
03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Ok. Here is the wireless router and card that I am looking at. Tell me what you think?

router - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=706705

adapter - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=783131&CatId=368

Anyone know where I can get a better deal?

I'm going to leave the one kid's computer that currently has the cat5 cable setup intact. I'm just going to plug it into the back of the router. One thing you do get with the cat5 hookup is greater speed. So why not utilize it? I'm then going to purchase a wireless adapter for the the 3rd computer.

What do you guys think?

GAC
03-18-2005, 09:03 AM
I found this at Staple's website....

http://www.staples.com/products/SpotLights/050313/576117/Default.asp

Roy Tucker
03-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Ok. Here is the wireless router and card that I am looking at. Tell me what you think?

router - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=706705

adapter - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=783131&CatId=368

Anyone know where I can get a better deal?

I'm going to leave the one kid's computer that currently has the cat5 cable setup intact. I'm just going to plug it into the back of the router. One thing you do get with the cat5 hookup is greater speed. So why not utilize it? I'm then going to purchase a wireless adapter for the the 3rd computer.

What do you guys think?
Looks OK to me. I haven't used D-Link so I can't comment directly on how is does or doesn't work. It all looks pretty basic. But D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear are the big names in home networking so you ought to be OK. I'd spend a little time on the net seeing if anyone has had problems with what you're looking at. Spend as much as you need to. Not more and not less.

And as a rule of thumb, I didn't buy a wireless card unless I had to. If the PC is sitting right next to the router, its cheaper just to hardwire it. And you can hang hubs off those ports if you need to.

And Krono, as soon as you get a job we can talk :deadhorse

GoReds
03-18-2005, 09:23 AM
My father-in-law, who is a network engineer tells me he will only by Linksys because they are associated with Cisco.

FWIW.

GAC
03-18-2005, 09:33 AM
The two kid's computers are in each of their rooms and across the hall from one another. They are about 25 ft from this, the host computer.

KronoRed
03-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Looks good to me..nice prices!

D-Link is liked by the people I've asked about it

Roy Tucker
03-18-2005, 10:40 AM
The two kid's computers are in each of their rooms and across the hall from one another. They are about 25 ft from this, the host computer.
I assume your broadband bridge is sitting next to the host computer? I keep my router right next to the bridge just so I don't lose track of it.

Cabling is just a matter of convenience. If you don't want to trip over the wires constantly, get a wireless card for the PC in question.

Looks like the wireless cards are getting pretty cheap. I may do that with some of our computers to cut down on wire rats nest on my main 'puter desk.

Like I said, I've had Linksys products over the years and they've worked great. Dunno about D-Link, pro or con.

GAC
03-18-2005, 10:09 PM
I assume your broadband bridge is sitting next to the host computer? I keep my router right next to the bridge just so I don't lose track of it.

Cabling is just a matter of convenience. If you don't want to trip over the wires constantly, get a wireless card for the PC in question.

Looks like the wireless cards are getting pretty cheap. I may do that with some of our computers to cut down on wire rats nest on my main 'puter desk.

Like I said, I've had Linksys products over the years and they've worked great. Dunno about D-Link, pro or con.

I'm going to have the router probably on the top of the desk of this computer and next to the external cable modem. It will then be easy to plug in the cat5 cable end running between this computer and the other one.

Then I will install the wireless card in the 3rd computer.

Once I get this equipment installed I am assuming that I need to go to Control Panel in XP and run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard?

GAC
03-19-2005, 02:24 PM
OK. I went out and purchased a Linksys router and USB adapter this morning. It took me about 15 minutes to hook it all up. I wanted to buy a wireless card instead of the USB adapter, but they were sold out. The salesperson said he uses the USB and has never had a problem; but if I did I could return it and they'd exchange it for a card when they came in later this week.

Man! The internet really flies on my son's computer with this. I am impressed! it works great.

But I have a few questions for you guys (and thanks again for all your assistance)....

#1 - On my host computer, and on the Linksys Installation CD, it had a screen for "Configure Wireless Security Settings" (optional). It says to choose from the following three items... 64-bit wired-equivalent privacy (WEP) or 128-bit WEP or Wi-Fi protected access-personal (WPA-PSK)

I didn't chose any (it's currently disabled) because I wasn't sure. It also said that whatever I select must be the same on all the computers.

#2 - My daughter's computer is the one with the Cat5 hookup. It currently is not going through the router, but it still a direct-connect to my computer. I'm assuming that I can just plug the end of the cat5 cable into an empty slot on the back of the router?

#3 - On the installation CD it offered Norton's Internet Security along with a 60 day trial of their AV. I personally don't care for Norton's, and I already have AV with my cable company. So I didn't select install. Does this mean that my router doesn't have a firewall now, or is that something separate?

#4 - How can I allow my son's computer to communicate/utilize the printer on my host computer? Is that possible? Do I just go to "Add A Printer" on his computer and select network printer?

KronoRed
03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
#3 - On the installation CD it offered Norton's Internet Security along with a 60 day trial of their AV. I personally don't care for Norton's, and I already have AV with my cable company. So I didn't select install. Does this mean that my router doesn't have a firewall now, or is that something separate?

#3 Routers have a built in 1 way firewall without norton, it blocks stuff comeing in but not yer computer being hijacked and calling out, I'd still use zone alarm to be safe, Norton is a HOG, yer better off without it

GAC
03-20-2005, 05:01 AM
#3 Routers have a built in 1 way firewall without norton, it blocks stuff comeing in but not yer computer being hijacked and calling out, I'd still use zone alarm to be safe, Norton is a HOG, yer better off without it

Yeah... I learned that about Nortons. I took it off last week and can't believe how much better my computer performs. Good riddance!

I'm still gonna need to run my daughter's computer through the router though right, before I install any firewall? Or I am gonna have the same problem as before with her computer/cat5 hookup?

I have AV/Firewall with Charter Commincations; but the firewall is still disabled until I get everything set up through the router.

KronoRed
03-20-2005, 05:15 AM
I'd run the daughters computer through the router, nice and simple that way, the cable you have right now might work, but I'm thinking it's a crossover cat 5 cable and it won't.

The security stuff is important, don't want your neighbors piggybacking on the wireless connection..Where's Roy? he'd know the proper setup for this :D

GAC
03-20-2005, 06:05 AM
I'd run the daughters computer through the router, nice and simple that way, the cable you have right now might work, but I'm thinking it's a crossover cat 5 cable and it won't.

That is what I am thinking also. I have the one internet connection on the back of the router that is for where the cable modem plugs in (and it took the cat5 conection). But the other 4 plug-ins I am not sure will take a cat5 connector. But I asm gonna check it out later.

Do you know anything about what I mentioned above with the three encryption settings?

Roy Tucker
03-20-2005, 02:40 PM
For a while, I used WPA-PSK with a shared password for security. But I constantly had a lot of problems with dropped sessions and connect problems. I bounced back and forth between Linksys and Microsoft and it was a finger-pointing session. I finally just said screw it and run with no security now.

If my neighbor wants to piggyback on, so be it. Someday, when I'll have a lot of time, I revisit this problem.

GAC
03-20-2005, 09:03 PM
dbl post :allovrjr:

GAC
03-20-2005, 09:09 PM
For a while, I used WPA-PSK with a shared password for security. But I constantly had a lot of problems with dropped sessions and connect problems. I bounced back and forth between Linksys and Microsoft and it was a finger-pointing session. I finally just said screw it and run with no security now.

If my neighbor wants to piggyback on, so be it. Someday, when I'll have a lot of time, I revisit this problem.

So basically then, those encryption settings are only to prevent a neighbor, or someone nearby, from "piggy backing" on your computer. I don't think I'll have that problem living out here in the country.

Here's another tech question for you all....

My son has a video game installed on my (host) computer. His computer won't handle it (processor not big enough), and I'm not going to go to the trouble (cost-effectiveness) of replacing the motherboard/processor on this one. Plus, I don't know how to do it. :lol:

Now that we are networked, can he connect to, via his computer, and play that game that is installed on my computer?

Reds4Life
03-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Now that we are networked, can he connect to, via his computer, and play that game that is installed on my computer?

No, the game software would still have to be installed on his machine.

KronoRed
03-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Nope, no way to play games like that over the network

On networking, if yer gonna go without security :help: I suggest you follow these instructions for installing NetBEUI
http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html

It's a safer way to share files, printers, ext between computers.

Roy Tucker
03-21-2005, 08:49 AM
So basically then, those encryption settings are only to prevent a neighbor, or someone nearby, from "piggy backing" on your computer. I don't think I'll have that problem living out here in the country.

Here's another tech question for you all....

My son has a video game installed on my (host) computer. His computer won't handle it (processor not big enough), and I'm not going to go to the trouble (cost-effectiveness) of replacing the motherboard/processor on this one. Plus, I don't know how to do it. :lol:

Yeah, WEP or WPA-PSK are security mechnisms for your wireless router. They guard against unauthorized access to your router.

By default without security, access is free and clear to your router. Anyone with a PC and a wireless card could access your router and hop on the internet.

I once took the train from Connecticut into NYC and had my laptop booted and wireless card enabled. Using AirSnort, I counted 50-something unsecured access points. I've also sat at my daughter's soccer practice which is within a 1/4 mile of some homes. Found 3 access points. I guess they're all like me, don't want to struggle with getting stuff to work.

And like others said, no-go for games across your net.

And PC prices have gotten to where its not cost effective to replace the CPU. It's cheaper just to buy a new box.

KronoRed
03-21-2005, 08:53 AM
But it's a heck of a lot more fun to build a system yourself :D

GAC
03-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Ok guys. I just got home from work and tried to plug the daughter's computer into the back of the router. I was able to plug the cat5 connector into the back of the router; but it wouldn't allow her on the 'net, and I'm not sure where I have to go, if anywhere, to configure her computer (and maybe the router) to allow it.

And I haven't figured out how to share my printer with the son's computer yet.

KronoRed
03-21-2005, 08:58 AM
You need regular Cat 5 cable, that cable will not work, it's internally wired differently

GAC
03-21-2005, 09:01 AM
You need regular Cat 5 cable, that cable will not work, it's internally wired differently

If that is the case then I'm not gonna mess with it. :p:

I'm wondering if I can put Zone Alarm on her computer? Would it prevent her from then communicating with mine (host) since she is sharing my IP?

KronoRed
03-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Go spend 20 bucks on cable, save the hassle! ;)

GAC
03-21-2005, 09:41 AM
Go spend 20 bucks on cable, save the hassle! ;)

It would be a HUGE hassle trying to run that new cable. ;)

Roy Tucker
03-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Start by turning off all firewalls, etc.

Then, ping the router from your daughters PC. The Linksys docs should tell you what the IP address is (I think its 192.168.something.1). That will tell you if you have basic connectivity.

If you can't ping it, go to Best Buy and get a network cable.

Also, I think by default the router should have DHCP enabled. Your daughters PC should have "obtain an IP address automatically" enabled.

KronoRed
03-21-2005, 10:00 AM
It would be a HUGE hassle trying to run that new cable. ;)
How much do you have access to? at least 3 feet? there is a way to cut the cable open and do some rewiring to get it to work.

But..REALLY..how hard could rewiring it be? ;)

GAC
03-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Start by turning off all firewalls, etc.

Then, ping the router from your daughters PC. The Linksys docs should tell you what the IP address is (I think its 192.168.something.1). That will tell you if you have basic connectivity.

If you can't ping it, go to Best Buy and get a network cable.

Also, I think by default the router should have DHCP enabled. Your daughters PC should have "obtain an IP address automatically" enabled.

All firewalls are off.

I don't have a router coming from my daughter's PC. It is a direct connect hook-up (cat5) to this computer via two ethernet cards (1 in each computer). She is using/sharing this computer's IP.

I have a wireless router coming off of this (host) computer. I then have a USB adapter on the 3rd computer (my son's) that gives him internet.

The daughter's computer is still hooked into this computer (as it has always been). No change.

I want to keep the other cat5 connection if possible because... 1) it saves me money from having to get another wireless USB connector for that computer. 2) It does provide for great speed over wireless.

How do you "ping" a computer again? I've done it before, but forget the procedure.

KronoRed
03-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Start - Run - type COMMAND

Then at the C: prompt type PING then the ip address

Roy Tucker
03-22-2005, 01:18 AM
So why can't you hook your daughter's PC directly to the router? It already has an Ethernet card. Why route through another PC? Just complicates matters.

KronoRed
03-22-2005, 08:38 AM
GAC

If the cable is a crossover cable (and I bet it is) that won't work with the router, and you don't want to replace the entire thing, you can make it work...if yer up for cutting the cable open and changing a few connections in it..I've done it..it's easy, just changing 4 wires.

Easy way to see if it's a cross over cable is to look at the ends, on a steaght threw cable the ends will have all 8 wires (different colors) in the same order, on a crossover, one end will be slightly off

GAC
03-22-2005, 08:39 AM
So why can't you hook your daughter's PC directly to the router? It already has an Ethernet card. Why route through another PC? Just complicates matters.

I tried Roy. The router light comes on, which tells me it is communicating; but when I went in to try and get on the net it wouldn't.

Here is what confounds me....

When I go onto my daughter's computer and click on the Neighborhod Network icon on the desktop I get the "Entire Network" icon in there. But when I try to open it is says the network is inaccessible and unable to browse. And yet, she has internet access. I'm asuming it doesn't need the Neighborhood Network, due to her direct connection setup, in order to get on the internet.

But I can go into her properties in Neighborhood Networking, check the TCP/IP on that ethernet card, which is set up to obtain an IP automatically.

I'm wondering if I have to download the Networking setup off of this computer onto a floppy disk somehow and then load it onto her computer?

I have XP on this computer, and she has 98SE.

I'm thinking of calling Linksys' tech support for help.

All three computers are working fine as far as internet goes. But I'd like to figure her computer setup out so I can enable my firewall.

GAC
03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Start - Run - type COMMAND

Then at the C: prompt type PING then the ip address

When I PING her computer with this computer's IP Address it is communicating.

It pinged it four times with TTL=128

4 packets sent 4 packets received 0 lost

That's good right?

Easy way to see if it's a cross over cable is to look at the ends, on a steaght threw cable the ends will have all 8 wires (different colors) in the same order, on a crossover, one end will be slightly off

steaght threw cable? Whatsa that? Are you saying to just unplug and look at the end connector, or do I have to cut it off to check the number of wiring?

KronoRed
03-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Unplug each end..see if all 8 little wires are in the same order..

Excuse my spelling :D straight threw

Roy Tucker
03-22-2005, 08:58 AM
So GAC, let me see if I have this straight.

Your daughter's PC is connected to the router?

And it can go out on the internet (launch a browser and see Google)?

But your problem is with you local Microsoft network?

If the daughter PC sees the internet, then we just have a software config issue. The cabling and router are behaving as they should.

Setting up a local Microsoft domain I'm a little fuzzy. I've only done it a couple times and it was a while ago.

GAC
03-22-2005, 10:21 AM
So GAC, let me see if I have this straight.

Your daughter's PC is connected to the router?

No. My daughter's PC is still connected the way it always has been - a direct connection via a cat5 cable between the two ethernet cards in each computer. XP on this, the hostcomputer, automatically recognized it and set it up. The only thing I ever did was download the driver for that ethernet card in her computer. It automatically set up the TCP/IP on her computer for the card in her's. I didn't have to touch a thing. It obtains an IP address automatically. Uses DHCP. Also "Client For Microsoft Networks" (on both hers and my computer).

When I go into Network Connections on MY Computer, it lists two LAN's (one for this computer, and one for her's).

So I didn't mess with that connection Roy.

But if I shut my computer off, she cannot get on the internet.

I went out and bought a wireless Linksys Router, which is hooked to this computer, and a USB Adapter for my son's computer. I set it up according to their instructions and it works great.

My problem arose when I unplug the cat5 connector that runs from my daughter's computer into the back of this computer, and then into the back of the Linksys router. When I do, the router light comes on the front, which I'm assuming is telling me that it is communicating. But when I go in and try to get on the internet ON HER COMPUTER it doesn't work.

I'm thinking that something on her computer is preventing it, and that it is not on this end.

A guy at work told me that I have to seet up my Neighborhood Network. Because as I stated above... When I go onto my daughter's computer and click on the Neighborhood Network icon on the desktop I get the "Entire Network" icon in there. But when I try to open it is says the network is inaccessible and unable to browse. He said that I need to downlaod the Network setting off of this computer (host) onto a floppy disk, and then downlaod it on hers to set up the network.

If that is true, that is something I haven't figured out how to do.

Also remember... and I don't think/know if this is a problem, but I have XP on this computer and 98SE on hers.

Everything the way it is now Roy works great. I just wanted to figure out a way to plug her computer through this router and the enable my firewall on my computer.

If I enable my firewall now, the way it is set up, it blocks the internet connection to her computer. I called a tech support guy from Charter Communications, who provides the AV/FW service, and he told me that I need a router in between (which I now have), and which has an IP, because there is nothing in my daughter's computer that will allow the firewall to configure since she has no IP Address of her own, but is using mine.

That is really the only reason I want to run her computer through the router.... so I can utilize the firewall on this computer (host). Plus there is also a FW inside the router also.

Krno.... I looked at the end of the cat5 connector. It has 8 wires (and they are all kinds of pretty colors! :p: ).

KronoRed
03-22-2005, 10:24 AM
But are they all in the same order?

Only asking so much about this because...if the ends are not the same..then it's a Crossover cat 5 cable...and the router won't work with it

GAC
03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
But are they all in the same order?

Only asking so much about this because...if the ends are not the same..then it's a Crossover cat 5 cable...and the router won't work with it

By this, do you mean is the wire going directly into the connector in front of it, and none crossing over? Yes. I don't see anywhere where the wires are crossing over another in the connector.

Roy Tucker
03-22-2005, 08:21 PM
My problem arose when I unplug the cat5 connector that runs from my daughter's computer into the back of this computer, and then into the back of the Linksys router. When I do, the router light comes on the front, which I'm assuming is telling me that it is communicating. But when I go in and try to get on the internet ON HER COMPUTER it doesn't work.
OK. The light on just means something is plugged in.

So, when daughter pc is hooked directly to the router, can you ping the router from daughter pc?

This is a basic tcp/ip connectivity test and has nothing to do with network neighborhood and all that.

If this doesn't work, my first thing would be to replace her network cable. Just use one you have now to see if it works before you buy a new one.

GAC
03-22-2005, 08:37 PM
I GOT IT GUYS!

I called Linksys tech support and they had my problem corrected in about 5 minutes.

And they spoke English too! :p:

Here is what they had me do....

I went in on my daughter's computer and Did START -RUN "winipcfg" which gives you the IP Adress of the Intel Pro card that is on her computer. That IP is also the IP of this (host) compter.

They had me do a "release all", then a "renew all", and that somehow automatically picked/configured up the router connection.

I went in on my computer now and enabled the firewall, and everything works great!

Thanks for all your assistance guys. There won't be anything in the mail for you; but in the next life you will gain total consciousness. So you got that going for you! :lol: )

Roy Tucker
03-22-2005, 08:49 PM
I GOT IT GUYS!

I called Linksys tech support and they had my problem corrected in about 5 minutes.

And they spoke English too! :p:

Here is what they had me do....

I went in on my daughter's computer and Did START -RUN "winipcfg" which gives you the IP Adress of the Intel Pro card that is on her computer. That IP is also the IP of this (host) compter.

They had me do a "release all", then a "renew all", and that somehow automatically picked/configured up the router connection.

FYI, winipcfg is a Win 98 thing. In XP its called ipconfig.

I went in on my computer now and enabled the firewall, and everything works great!

Thanks for all your assistance guys. There won't be anything in the mail for you; but in the next life you will gain total consciousness. So you got that going for you! :lol: )
Hooray!

The release and renew caused DHCP to flush the old IP address and get a lease on a new one. I would think that rebooting would have taken care of the problem.

Rereading this thread, I guess we never said anything about rebooting after swapping the cable. Doh!

And FYI, winipcfgis a win98 thing. In xp its called ipconfig

GAC
03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Hooray!

The release and renew caused DHCP to flush the old IP address and get a lease on a new one. I would think that rebooting would have taken care of the problem.

Rereading this thread, I guess we never said anything about rebooting after swapping the cable. Doh!

And FYI, winipcfgis a win98 thing. In xp its called ipconfig

You're exactly right Roy. I needed to remove the old IP Address and pick up the new one (which I am assuming is the router).

I almost was going to go out and get another UBS Adapter for her compter and get rid of the cat5 hookup; but a tech support guy said that would be stupid, and that I can make this work. Besides, the speed is faster utilizing the cat5 cable (which it is).

But I have to admit, that USB Adapter on my son's computer is pretty fast too.

KronoRed
03-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Win 98???!?!? :help:

Glad you got it working GAC :)

GAC
03-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Win 98???!?!? :help:

Glad you got it working GAC :)

Yep. My daughter's computer still has WIN98SE. And the reasom it doesn't have XP (which I have a copy of the home version) is because the integrated video graphics on the motherboard will not let it install. I keep getting the "blue screen" stop error message during the XP install.

I've ran MS' XP Advisor which tells you of any conflicting hardware/software you may need to remove/update before installing XP, and it says the graphic driver is not compatible.

So I am going to disable that onboard graphics and then purchase a better plug n play video card. She needs one anyway because some of the video games she loves to play (one of them is SIMS) will not play on her computer due to inadequate graphics. So she plays them on this one (AND I WANT HER OFF! :p: ).

That's my next project.

I really like that AVG virus software. I have it on both of the kid's computers. It works great! Also, that Spyware Doctor software that I purchased is the best I have ever seen (and I have tried alot of them). We've had no problems with spyware at all since we got it.