PDA

View Full Version : Pot, meet Kettle

Chip R
03-11-2005, 09:54 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=583&e=3&u=/nm/20050311/od_nm/life_harvard_dc

Harvard in Lather Over Campus Maid Service

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - A Harvard University student's fledgling dorm-cleaning business faced the threat of a campus boycott on Thursday after the school's daily newspaper slammed it for dividing students along economic lines.

The Harvard Crimson newspaper urged students to shun Dormaid, a business launched by Harvard sophomore Michael Kopko that cleans up for messy students.

"By creating yet another differential between the haves and have-nots on campus, Dormaid threatens our student unity," the Crimson said in an editorial.

"We urge the student body to boycott Dormaid."

Like many elite American universities, Harvard comprises a mix of affluent students as well as those who are less well-off.

But Kopko, 20, said he could not understand the Crimson's reaction to his business, which he said was all about creating jobs and wealth at the Ivy League school.

"In a free economy it's all about choice, and the Crimson is trying to take choice away from people," the student entrepreneur told Reuters. "I think it's a very uneconomic and narrow view. It's essentially against creating wealth for society."

Kopko said since launching his dormitory-cleaning service last month in the Boston area, he has signed up 50 clients. He plans to expand the service to other parts of the country and is aiming for $200,000 in annual sales in a year's time.

Unassisted
03-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Those who could afford to use this service have probably grown up with other people cleaning up for them anyway. Silly argument, IMHO.

Chip R
03-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Those who could afford to use this service have probably grown up with other people cleaning up for them anyway. Silly argument, IMHO.
Yeah. I just find it ironic that people who go to Harvard are all of a sudden worried about dividing students along economic lines.

Johnny Footstool
03-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Yeah. I just find it ironic that people who go to Harvard are all of a sudden worried about dividing students along economic lines.

I imagine there are very few issues to complain about at Harvard, so the newspaper had to dig up *something* to stir up controversy.

cincinnati chili
03-11-2005, 11:02 PM

I see what you're getting at. But keep in mind Harvard has a sick endowment, and IIRC a lot of people are there on full rides. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that a millionaire's kid is put in a freshman suite with a kid from the projects.

Personally, I think that a poor kid who's bright enough to go to Harvard has probably already overcome a wee bit more than the indignity of having to clean his own room while his/her fellow students pay for it.

He/she can handle it.