PDA

View Full Version : March Madness for Comedy Movies

Johnny Footstool
03-15-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7053845/

OK, some of the seedings are way off ("South Park" vs. "Friday" in Round 1), but this is still an interesting little pastime.

My Final Four were Raising Arizona, Bull Durham, Fletch, and The Jerk. Raising Arizona and The Jerk faced off in the championship, but it was never even close. Raising Arizona wins by eighteen points.

Mind you don't cut yourself, Mordecai.

RBA
03-15-2005, 01:24 PM
My final 4. And it's more to due with the lame seatings they start out with.

Dumb and Dumber vs. CaddyShack

and

The Jerk vs. Fast Times

Winner: Caddyshack

Steve4192
03-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Wow. Those brackets really do suck.

I loved Rasing Arizona and I had to bounce it in the first round because it was up against Ferris Bueller. Ditto for the Fast Times versus Spinal Tap matchup and Caddyshack versus the Blues Brothers.

I ended up cutting out about half of my personal top ten in the first round because of bad matchups. Meanwhile, funny but unimpressive stuff like 'The Producers' and 'Dazed and Confused' made it to the second round because they were matched up against movies that were flat out bad.

In the end, Animal House hit a buzzer beater to squeak out a win versus Blazing Saddles.

RFS62
03-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah, terrible brackets here too.

My final four was Raising Arizona vs. Caddyshack and Holy Grail vs. Princess Bride.

Raising Arizona downed Holy Grail in the finals as Tex Cobb blew up, trumping the Black Knight

Puffy
03-15-2005, 03:38 PM
The seedings did suck - Austin Posers vs Stripes and Holy Grail vs. Young Frankenstein hurt. Then such losers like Producers vs 9 to 5 and Annie hall vs. His Girl Friday.

OK, my final four was South Park vs. Animal House and Fast Times vs. Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The Animal House v. Fast Times in the final, with Animal House winning it all. Belushi scored 43 in the final.

HotCorner
03-15-2005, 04:00 PM
My final four ...

Something About Mary vs. Tommy Boy

Princess Bride vs. Airplane

Johnny Footstool
03-15-2005, 04:18 PM
Why was "His Girl Friday" even on the list? Nothing was funny back in 1940. Nothing at all.

I was also stunned that "Bowfinger" made the cut.

HotCorner
03-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I was quite surprised to see Bowfinger among others in the field.

How did they miss Stir Crazy, Waterboy, Funny Farm, Liar Liar or even Major League?

And the 'No Sequel' rule is just plain silly. If a movie is funny, it's funny. Christmas Vacation is hilarious and it's a travesty it's not on here.

Steve4192
03-15-2005, 06:00 PM
And the 'No Sequel' rule is just plain silly.
I think it is a good rule if for no other reason than it eliminated the 0.0000001% chance that Caddyshack II would make the list.

Steve4192
03-15-2005, 06:04 PM
How did they miss Stir Crazy, Waterboy, Funny Farm, Liar Liar or even Major League?
There was a lot of stuff missing, including all of the classic Marx Brothers and Three Stooges stuff, the prototype teen gross out comedy (Porky's), and the aforementioned Stir Crazy & Major League.

RBA
03-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Don't forget all those Pauley Shore movies.

RFS62
03-15-2005, 06:11 PM
I think it is a good rule if for no other reason than it eliminated the 0.0000001% chance that Caddyshack II would make the list.

Worst sequel ever made. May be the worst movie ever made.

"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" looked like "Citizen Kane" next to Caddyshack II.