PDA

View Full Version : MVP 2005... Stats from your first season.

jhiller21
03-16-2005, 04:38 AM
I'm about 3/4 through my first season with the Reds. The only player I edited was Kearns, to play 3rd :) Randa and Weathers were shipped off for AAA pitching prospects.

First of all, the Lineup:

2B Jimenez
SS Lopez
1B Casey
LF Dunn
3B Kearns
RF Griffey
CF Pena
C LaRue

Bench:

2B Freel (28 SB)
C Valentin
SS Aurilia
IF Olmedo

In 125 games, Dunn has 35 homers. Kearns is batting .342 with 33 dingers. Case is batting .338, and Jr. is batting .281. (Junior went down with a knee injury in the beginning of the season, recovered after a few weeks) So far WMP has 8 errors in CF since I put Kearns at 3rd.

Pitching:

Milton: 12-5 3.47 ERA
Wilson: 9-6 4.12 ERA
Ortiz: 10-5 3.86 ERA
Harang 12-10 4.56 ERA
Claussen 7-8 5.25 ERA

Weber: 2-1 3.56 ERA
Mercker: 2-2 2.34 ERA
Wagner 1-2 3.36 ERA
Acevedo: 1-3 4.23 ERA
Graves 3-1 2.30 ERA (34 SV)

GoReds
03-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Are you managing or playing?

Hap
03-16-2005, 12:44 PM
My lineup...

2B Joe Morgan
SS D'Lo/FeLo
1B Casey
CF Junior
C Johnny Bench
LF Dunn
RF Kearns
DH Pena
3B Freel/Randa

The Reds are much more fun to play with Bench, Morgan, and Seaver on the roster. And the DH is used as a tool to rest a tired Bench or Griffey and keep his bat in the lineup.

jmcclain19
03-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I hit a inside the park HR with Rocco Baldelli the other night. Man that guy's fast.

I started a season as the Twins, but deleted it after a few games. Having too much fun playing single games right now. Can't decide who I want to be, and I keep fishing for more roster updates to keep it as up to date as possible.

GoReds
03-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Anyone notice the extreme high incidents of double plays occurring?

RBA
03-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Anyone notice the extreme high incidents of double plays occurring?

What about the KRISP?

jmcclain19
03-16-2005, 01:34 PM
I haven't noticed too many DP's. Do you have the PS2 version?

I had to seriously tweak all the sliders though to get it more realistic.

1-0 and 2-1 for game after game just wasn't doing it for me, so I added 15 each to Player and CPU contact and 10 each to the power meters. Also cranked up the CPU's pitcher energy to wear down quicker, I'm way too aggresive and it never gets to their bully unless its an extra innings game.

Evened out things slightly although I've only played a couple of games with the levels like that.

jmcclain19
03-16-2005, 01:36 PM
What about the KRISP?

The Krisp?

I enjoy mine with milk, and a glass of OJ.

Steve4192
03-16-2005, 01:36 PM
I hit a inside the park HR with Rocco Baldelli the other night. Man that guy's fast.
Did it actually count as a HR?

I have hit half-a-dozen inside the park HRs since I got the game, and every one was scored as an error. Every one I have hit so far has been a gapper that either (a) takes a goofy bounce against the wall (b) the OF falls down as he's retrieving the ball or (c) the OF fields the ball cleanly but trys to make a direct throw [instead of hitting the cutoff man] and the ball rolls into the infield.

The funny part is, the batter doesn't even receive credit for the hit. In every instance, my hitter has been rounding second before the fielder gets to the ball, but it shows up in the boxscore as an 0-1 with an OF error.

GoReds
03-16-2005, 01:46 PM

I had to seriously tweak all the sliders though to get it more realistic.

1-0 and 2-1 for game after game just wasn't doing it for me, so I added 15 each to Player and CPU contact and 10 each to the power meters. Also cranked up the CPU's pitcher energy to wear down quicker, I'm way too aggresive and it never gets to their bully unless its an extra innings game.

Evened out things slightly although I've only played a couple of games with the levels like that.

I have the PC version. I'm playing the game, not managing, but it seems as though either team gets a guy on first, a double-play grounder is sure to occur.

Steve4192
03-16-2005, 01:48 PM
I initially hit into a TON of GIDP playing on XBOX. I've greatly reduced them by (1) rarely swinging at offspeed junk or stuff on the outside of the plate with less than two strikes and (2) when forced to swing at junk, keeping the control stick UP to force an uppercut swing.

Also, if you have a big time bopper at the plate, move up in the batters box. The CPU rarely, if ever, throws inside to guys like Dunn & Junior. If you crowd the plate, it greatly increases your chances of making solid contact on stuff over the outside of the plate. The inverse is true for judy hitters, as the CPU tries to jam them with regularity (I'm killing the ball with FeLo and Randa as a result). Keep an eye on the 'hot zones' for your hitters. The CPU tends to pitch to blue as much as possible.

jmcclain19
03-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Did it actually count as a HR?

I have hit half-a-dozen inside the park HRs since I got the game, and every one was scored as an error. Every one I have hit so far has been a gapper that either (a) takes a goofy bounce against the wall (b) the OF falls down as he's retrieving the ball or (c) the OF fields the ball cleanly but trys to make a direct throw [instead of hitting the cutoff man] and the ball rolls into the infield.

The funny part is, the batter doesn't even receive credit for the hit. In every instance, my hitter has been rounding second before the fielder gets to the ball, but it shows up in the boxscore as an 0-1 with an OF error.

It actually did. It was in the first inning, and it was a high bouncer that simply bounced over the head of the RF, untouched. By the time the RF got to it I was rounding 3rd so it was a no brainer.

I wanted to see if it scored it as a HR too. Weird thing was, in the Box score, it listed a HR by Baldelli in the notes below but it had 1H, 1R but 0RBI in the main scoring section. Don't know why it didn't give him credit for the RBI, maybe it's a glitch.

Steve4192
03-16-2005, 01:54 PM
It actually did. It was in the first inning, and it was a high bouncer that simply bounced over the head of the RF, untouched.
Weird.

I've had a couple where I was in an asymetrical park (like the Polo Grounds or Crosley Field) and hit a gapper that, upon reaching an angular spot on the wall, shot off in another direction and away from the OF. Then,despite the fact the OF never touched the ball, it was ruled as an error. I've never had one bounce over a guy's head though.

bomarl1969
03-16-2005, 02:01 PM
My lineup is like this...

D Lo-2B
Larkin-SS (signed as a FA for 9 freakin mil!)
Casey-1B
Kearns-RF
Dunn-LF
Pena-CF
LaRue-C
Randa-3B

Rotation

Milton
Wilson
Ortiz
Moyer-trade with Seattle for Jr.
Harang

I am doing the franchise owner mode...it is much harder...built my own ballpark...Pete Rose Field...and right now I am 39-36 2.5 games behind the Cards. Interesting and fun season so far...

Kearns, Dunn, and Pena are all battling for the team HR crown with 8, 8, and 9. Kent Mercker is leading the team in wins with 6 (as a reliever). Graves has about 11 saves (none blown)....while Harang leads the rotation with 5 wins.

Steve4192
03-16-2005, 02:15 PM
I usually sim because I don't have the time or patience to actually play a whole season (25 minutes/game * 162 games = 67.5 hours!), but I decided I'll give it a try just to see what kind of stats I rack up.

My pitching is WAY ahead of my hitting. After seven games at the pro level, I've got a staff ERA of 0.43 thanks to Eric Milton giving up three runs on opening day. Since then, I've tossed six consecutive shutouts (including three CGSO). Unfortunately, my hitting is pretty mediocre (27 runs in 7 games), so I don't want to bump up the difficulty until I have got the offensive end of things figured out.

At this point, my entire offense is pretty much jacking the ball out of the park. I'd guess about 3/4 of my runs have scored off of homers. I should probably stop jamming the thumbstick up on every swing, but its just WAY too satisfying to rip the ball out of the park with the likes of Joe Randa and Jason Larue. I'm going to have to start experimenting with taking level swings if I ever want to string together a long rally.

jmcclain19
03-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Actually, I haven't noticed any particular leaning towards a type of out, more so that I just couldn't get a basehit to save my life.

Somewhat fixed when I tweaked the sliders. Still quite hard though

GoReds
03-16-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm playing pro level as well and cannot contain Casey. After 50 games (I know, I need a hobby), Casey has 30HRs, Jr has 26 and Dunn is closing in on 20.

I hit for a higher average when I try to go with the ball (outside pitches to opp field; inside pitches pulled), but still hit a massive amount of GIDP.

Can't steal at all - in fact Randa's been picked off 4 times already.

Staff ERA is around 1. Four perfect games under my belt. :D

Traded Wily Mo and Felipe Lopez away for a young shortstop and a top pitching prospect. Kearns is barely hitting over the Mendoza line.

jmcclain19
03-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Weird.

I've had a couple where I was in an asymetrical park (like the Polo Grounds or Crosley Field) and hit a gapper that, upon reaching an angular spot on the wall, shot off in another direction and away from the OF. Then,despite the fact the OF never touched the ball, it was ruled as an error. I've never had one bounce over a guy's head though.

Yeah, it was definitely weird. That's why it was so memorable. Reminds me of guys in beer league softball, the way it just bounced over his head. Wish I could have saved the replay.

Steve4192
03-16-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm playing pro level as well
Sounds like it is time for you to move up a level.

RedsFan75
03-16-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm playing pro level ....

Staff ERA is around 1. Four perfect games under my belt. :D

OK now I KNOW you need to bump up a level... This staff with 4 perfecto's :mhcky21: :lol:

GoReds
03-16-2005, 03:16 PM
OK now I KNOW you need to bump up a level... This staff with 4 perfecto's :mhcky21: :lol:

This game offers a distinct advantage to anyone who has played Madden recently (also an EA offering). The pitching technique is VERY similar to the technique used for kicking field goals in Madden (and I've kicked a few).

I'll admit that *most* of the stats - and all of the no-no's - were achieved while playing rookie level. Since switching to pro, I'm only averaging about 4 runs per game and the games are all close.

But, my record is still 45-7. That's realistic for an Edskin team, ain't it? :mhcky21:

25!

Steve4192
03-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I'll admit that *most* of the stats - and all of the no-no's - were achieved while playing rookie level.
The difference between pro and rookie really is night and day.

When I first got the game I played on rookie level and threw a bunch of perfect games and averaged about 15 runs per game. I even posted a few 30+ games and had a couple of individual players tally six HR in a game. Since moving to pro, a two hitter is my best pitching effort and 10 runs is my best offensive output. My average score on rookie was 15-0, on pro it's more like 4-1.

RedsFan75
03-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Any of you playing on a PS2? What type slider jockying have you had to do?

Steve4192
03-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Any of you playing on a PS2? What type slider jockying have you had to do?
XBOX and none.

I don't like messing with the factory settings on the sliders in any game because it really screws me up whenever I play on someone else's system. It also makes it easier when I play head-to-head since I don't have to worry about being 'handicaped' because I am used to playing with easier setttings at home.

The only time I monkey with sliders is when the highest difficulty of a game becomes too easy. Madden is the only game where I have had to resort to messing with the sliders, and that is only because I was blowing out the CPU even when at the All-Madden level.

LvJ
03-16-2005, 05:49 PM
I play on All-Star, using Pared's realistic sliders.

I usually play 1 or 2 games each series, unless it's a NL Central team, in which I face all the time. Some games I'll sim a few innings, and play the rest. Love that feature. Really nice.

I have made a few trades, which in my opinion were fair for both teams, but lets hear what you guys think...

4/30/05 - Traded SP Paul Wilson, and OF Wily Mo Pena to LA for SP Brad PennyOF Ricky Ledee[/B], and some mid-level prospect.
- I simply can't pitch that well with Wilson. He's not a very good pitcher anyways, but I felt like letting Pena rot on the bench was not smart, so I tried to get Zito, and Oakland wouldn't budge. I didn't want to trade him to a rival, so I went to LA and figured the most realistic trade would be Pena and Wilson for Brad Penny and a prospect. I like Penny because he's an actual flame thrower, young, and has a good setup of pitches. Ledee was thrown in to even out the money. Only way LA would accept.

6/2/05 - Traded C Jason LaRue, SS Ray Olmedo and OF Jacob Cruz to Seattle for OF Herbert Bayon (real good looking prospect) and 3B Scott Spiezio.

6/2/05 - Traded RP Danny Graves, RP Luke Hudson, and C Bobby Estalella to Boston for C Doug Mirabelli, and P Byung-Hyun Kim.
- Ok, heres the deal with these two trades. Many will think I got robbed, but all I was doing was moving some long term money for shorter term money. I felt LaRue is totally expendable, and knew I could get someone like Mirabelli (underrated) to take his place. Olmedo and Cruz were throw ins to get the prospect OF. Spiezio will had some nice pop to the 3B position. Randa hasn't been playing well, and Aurilla was demoted. About the Boston trade ... I'm simply not a Graves fan in real life, heh. I feel like the real Reds should be trying to move him so I took it upon myself to find him a new home. My pen is awesome right now as Valentine and Wagner are really doing well. Joe takes over the closers role. I like Kim and his delivery, and he had to be included because Graves is a $ hog. Mirabelli takes over the catchers job. He was hitting over .300 with Boston and OBing around .380. I like. We all know Boston can use bullpen help, so Graves is a good fit, and Seattle has two weak, and poor hitting young catchers currently (atleast, they are poor hittin' in the game ;)). LaRue will be an upgrade for them there.

6/3/05 - Traded P Josh Hancock to Cleveland for P Kazuhito Tadano.
- Well, heh. They had Tadano on the block. I grabbed him. I took on some salary though. ;)

6/13/05 - Traded 3B Rich Aurilia to Oakland for OF Bobby Kielty.
- Seems like robbery, right? Well, they had Kielty in Triple A, and I had just demoted Aurilia. I'm a big Kielty fan, so I had to totally do this. I demoted Ledee. Bobby is a no brainer of an upgrade as my 5th OF.

That's all the trading I'm doing until the off season I think. :) I have the core team I think can make some kind of run at the Wild Card ... hopefully. Although, right now - things aren't looking that way.

Stats:

Everyday Starting Lineup:
Ryan Freel, 3B (.317 AVG, .371 OBP, 1O SB)
Adam Dunn, LF (.287 AVG, .387 OBP, 10 HR, 9 SB)
Austin Kearns, RF (.254 AVG, .350 OBP, 8 HR, 37 RBI)
Ken Griffey Jr, CF (.303 AVG, .355 OBP, 7 HR, 35 RBI)
Sean Casey, 1B (.295 AVG, .325 OBP, 10 HR, 47 RBI)
Felipe Lopez, SS (.268 AVG, .338 OBP, 3 HR, 17 RBI)
D'Angelo Jiminez, 2B (.228 AVG, .312 OBP, 1 HR, 6 SB)
Doug Mirabelli, C (.288 AVG, .345 OBP, 1 HR, 9 RBI)

Bench:
Javier Valentin, C/1B (.285 AVG, .315 OBP, 5 HR, 15 RBI)
Joe Randa, 3B (.188 AVG, .245 OBP, 8 HR, 21 RBI)*
Anderson Machado, SS (.385 AVG, .441 OBP, 1 SB)**
Bobby Kielty, OF (0/1, .500 OBP)
Scott Spiezio, 3B (2/6, 1 RBI)

* Lost starting job to Freel.
** Been getting more starts at SS, with Lopez moving to 2nd, and DJ to bench.

Starting Rotation:
Eric Milton (77.2 IP, 5-7, 4.98 ERA)
Brad Penny (78.2 IP, 4-6, 3.50 ERA)
Russ Ortiz (82.0 IP, 5-4, 4.17 ERA)
Brandon Claussen (67.0 IP, 3-4, 4.97 ERA)
Aaron Harang (59.2 IP, 3-5, 5.13 ERA)

Bullpen:
Kazuhito Tadano (50.0 IP, 2-3-1, 4.32 ERA)
Kent Merker (42.2 IP, 1-2-0, 4.01 ERA)
David Weathers (55.1 IP, 3-2-1, 4.23 ERA)
Ben Weber (53.2 IP, 1-3-1, 3.35 ERA)
Ryan Wagner (34.1 IP, 1-0-0, 2.22 ERA)
BY Kim (12.2 IP, 0-0-1, 7.82 ERA)
Joe Valentine (26.2 IP, 4-1-5, 2.70 ERA)

Reds are 29-39. Seems like low HR totals, I know... but I started playing this Dynasty on all star just a day or so after I got the game, and it's pretty hard to get use to. HR's have been coming more often now that I've been getting the skill of hitting down. :)

jmcclain19
03-16-2005, 06:00 PM
LvJ did you have "fair trades" turned on?

I ask, because I had a season of about 20 games that I gave up on for the Twins.

I traded with the O's for Eric Dubose, and made him a starter, but I couldn't for the life of me find any takers of Joe Mays 5 million dollar salary. Even trying to trade for a low level A ball pitcher didn't get a bite. Frustrating, because the Twins were so hamstrung already with salary and just could not in any way trade him, Jacque Jones or Torii Hunter to a single team, so I decided I'd wait another week or two before starting again with "fair trades" turned off and see what happens.

Joseph
03-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm doing the owner mode finally. I'm on my 5th season I believe. The first season the only way to make any money was to basically trade everyone with a salary above 2 million. I traded Milton to the A's for Joe Blanton, I traded Paul Wilson to the Phils for Gavin Floyd, I traded Casey to the Twins for Justin Morneau, I traded Joe Randa to the Mariners for Clint Nageotte [sp] and I traded Griffey to the Pads for Khalil Greene. I upgraded the stadium every chance I got and added all the concessions I could and made something like 900k the first year. Didn't make the playoffs, but came close.

In year two I added some more seats when I had the money, didn't really have to trade anyone and ended up making a few million as well as the playoffs where I lost in round one to the Marlins.

Year three saw the explosion of the young pitchers I'd acquired Nageotte won 24 games and a Cy Young, Adam Dunn hit 48 homers with 164 RBIs and was MVP, Sardhina, Greene, and Felo [at 2nd] won gold gloves and the Reds won the series over the Twins.

Year 4 also saw another banner year for the Reds, Pena was MVP, Gavin Floyd won the Cy Young, and the Reds beat the Red Sox for the second straight World Series title.

I've managed to expand my stadium to 33,000 with most all the amenities and have about 20 million in the bank in season 5. Another season or two and I'll add the luxury boxes and expand to 45ish thousand seats.

Oh, I call the stadium New Crosley.

Steve4192
03-16-2005, 06:28 PM
They fixed the trade engine this year so its pretty much impossible to completely dump a salary. However, as LVJ stated, you can trade a long-term committment for a short-term commitment. Find a guy in the final year of his deal making the same (or slightly more) than Mays and the CPU should take it. Then, come 2006, you'll have the payflex you are seeking.

If you have a trade that looks fair but the CPU won't make the deal, try making it a 2 for 1 by adding the CPU's worst minor leaguer to the deal. Taking on that little bit of extra salary is often enough to put a deal over the top.

jmcclain19
03-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Ahh, its all about the payflex isn't it ;)

I'll give that a whirl when I finally decide to stop playing single games and start a season.

Been playing the mini games to rack up credits so I could buy all the locked unis.

Fixed that cheat last year where you got points for wherever you placed at the end of the year, where you could save your profile, then exit the season, load it back up again and get the points. Noticed they don't award those anymore so it's going to be a pain to unlock everything.

LvJ
03-16-2005, 07:02 PM
They fixed the trade engine this year so its pretty much impossible to completely dump a salary. However, as LVJ stated, you can trade a long-term committment for a short-term commitment. Find a guy in the final year of his deal making the same (or slightly more) than Mays and the CPU should take it. Then, come 2006, you'll have the payflex you are seeking.

If you have a trade that looks fair but the CPU won't make the deal, try making it a 2 for 1 by adding the CPU's worst minor leaguer to the deal. Taking on that little bit of extra salary is often enough to put a deal over the top.

Yep.

IMO, the trade engine is better, but not quite fixed. It focuses too much on $$$, even the teams with lots of payroll room. It's really hard to dump salary in this game unless, as mentioned above, you do long term for short term...

And yeah, fair trades turned on. Notice how Zito for Pena didn't work. ;)