PDA

View Full Version : The official UC will beat UK thread!

BearcatDrew
03-17-2005, 05:40 PM
:gac: :thumbup: Go Bearcats!

Reds4Life
03-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I wish, but I doubt it. :(

RedRoser
03-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Now you all know that the best kind of cat is a WILDcat! Go Blue! :gac:

---'Roser

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Go Big Blue

Falls City Beer
03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
I wish, but I doubt it. :(

I'm not so sure. This UK team can be caught flat-footed. They aren't so naturally gifted that they can survive too many hard charges from a good defensive squad.

I UC can muster any offense at all they'll win this game by 10.

CTA513
03-17-2005, 06:06 PM
The key to UC winning is to have Meeker play the whole game.

:p:

Big Donkey
03-17-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm a briar myself, so I'm a DIEHARD UK fan (are there any other kinds?), but I must admit that although Cincinnati is inconsistent and whatever else some may say about them, they are still the kind of physical, good rebounding team that UK has had fits with; especially recently. I want Kentucky to win and I think if they put it together like they have very few times this season, they could make a serious run to the Final Four. However, more often than not, they're too inconsistent offensively, and they could lose ANY game... starting with Saturday's.

At least they survived today... NCAA Tourney starting, Kentucky wins, and St. Paddy's day for a briar with mostly Irish ethnicity... it's a good day.

Danny Serafini
03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Every year Cincinnati is a choker team. Considering 6 of the last 8 years they've gone out in the second round (and one of those other years the first) I'd be feeling pretty comfortable if I was a Kentucky fan.

paintmered
03-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Every year Cincinnati is a choker team. Considering 6 of the last 8 years they've gone out in the second round (and one of those other years the first) I'd be feeling pretty comfortable if I was a Kentucky fan.

2nd round 2004 NCAA tournament:

1. Kentucky 75
8. UAB 76

RedRoser
03-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Maybe you didn't read Serafini's post too closely, paintme. It said 6 of the last 8 years UC has gone out in the 2nd round. You, on the other hand, were only able to give ONE year that UK has gone out in the 2nd round. Not a very logical comeback. ;)

Falls City:
If UC wins by 10, I'll buy you all the Falls City you can drink for a lifetime, okay? Or do they still even sell that nasty stuff? :eek:

---rSquared

WVRed
03-17-2005, 06:50 PM
I listened to Bill Cunningham Monday on WLW and they were letting the callers fill out the brackets(winner got a cocktail dinner). Needless to say, the caller picked Cincinnati to beat UK. I was wanting to listen to the rest of it to see if they would pick UC to win the national championship, but I got out of range.:(

2nd round 2004 NCAA tournament:

1. Kentucky 75
8. UAB 76

http://www.bluealbino.com/syp/images/homer-reachup.gif

CrackerJack
03-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Go UC!!

Yeah UC typically chokes in the tourney but who cares that's the past and this all about the game on Saturday!!! I've been wating for this for over a decade. (I went to school in Kentucky for years and live in Cincy and have most of my life)

If UC can shoot like they did today they'll give UK some trouble - if not, UK will beat them soundly.

UC has to play with the enthusiasm they did today - and Maxiell looked possessed.

paintmered
03-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Maybe you didn't read Serafini's post too closely, paintme. It said 6 of the last 8 years UC has gone out in the 2nd round. You, on the other hand, were only able to give ONE year that UK has gone out in the 2nd round. Not a very logical comeback. ;)

Falls City:
If UC wins by 10, I'll buy you all the Falls City you can drink for a lifetime, okay? Or do they still even sell that nasty stuff? :eek:

---rSquared

I didn't put much thought into it, nor did I do any research outside of looking up the score from the game I remembered last year. Frankly, I just don't care enough to look up tourney scores from the last 10 years.

I'm not saying UC doesn't choke in the NCAA tourney (and I'm a student there), but to say Kentucky will win even though they've choked before too is a reach IMO.

Both teams will be ready to play. I think Kentucky wins but it's gonna be close.

Chip R
03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
It should be fun. Kind of a shame there's only one day between games.

KronoRed
03-17-2005, 08:42 PM

Can they both lose?

;)

MWM
03-17-2005, 10:00 PM
UC has absolutely NO CHANCE against UK. I don't see how they could possibly win that game.

macro
03-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Digger Phelps is picking Cincinnati. Then again, he ALWAYS picks UK to lose as soon as is feasible. Still bitter about not being able to beat them as a coach, I guess. Have Digger or Billy Packer ever said anything positive about UK?

CrackerJack
03-18-2005, 12:59 AM
UC has absolutely NO CHANCE against UK. I don't see how they could possibly win that game.

:rolleyes:

RedFanAlways1966
03-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Thank God the Bearcats are not having to play a real powerhouse like South Florida in round 2!!! :devil: ;) :mhcky21:

p.s. - don't hurt me!

WVRed
03-18-2005, 08:27 AM

And thanks for jinxing UK.:(

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-18-2005, 01:07 PM
The only team to beat UK in Cincinnati the past half-century has been my beloved Dayton Flyers...in 2000.

UC's last win vs. UK? 1939

Joseph
03-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Its times like these the differences on this board truly comes to the fore. :)

I spent part of the morning listening to Pic on 1360 and many of the callers talking about which team was afraid of the other and thats why the game wasn't scheduled each year like UK vs UL or UC and X. Are the fans of UC really as delusional to think that they are in the upper eschelon of teams ala UK [or UNC, Duke etal] Thats the impression you get from listening to these people some days.

Can UC win? Yes they can. Does that mean they are a better team than UK? No, just means they played better that day. Its just like Florida fans, the Gators played better recently, but they aren't a better team.

UK wins by 12.

Blimpie
03-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Have Digger or Billy Packer ever said anything positive about UK?Yes, Billy Packer was POSITIVE that Patrick Sparks traveled with three seconds left in the Louisville game. :rolleyes:

Blimpie
03-18-2005, 01:33 PM
I spent part of the morning listening to Pic on 1360 and many of the callers talking about which team was afraid of the other and thats why the game wasn't scheduled each year like UK vs UL or UC and X. Are the fans of UC really as delusional to think that they are in the upper eschelon of teams ala UK [or UNC, Duke etal] Thats the impression you get from listening to these people some days.This one has been bantered back and forth for the last fifteen years. However, you always seemed to hear more about it when Pitino was still coaching here. Huggins wanted a piece of Rick--really bad--but Rick would always smirk and claim that UK "had nothing to gain by playing UC." If you remember Huggins' reactions to Rick's comments--well...one would think that Rick expedited Huggins heart attack.

DoogMinAmo
03-18-2005, 03:28 PM
First off, I would like to say that I am rooting for UC to win. Secondly, I think this would be the best thread of the year for a poll to be posted. and thirdly, for those who keep debating UK's tourney glory in contrast with UC's lackthereof...

From the Enquirer today (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050318/SPT0101/503180438/1064/SPT)

Kentucky reached the regional final in 2003, the only time since 1999 the Wildcats have advanced past the Sweet 16. Last season, UK, then a No. 1 seed, was upset in the second round by UAB.

Cincinnati hasn't been past the second round since 2001.

Hardly dominance on either team's part.

RedFanAlways1966
03-18-2005, 04:06 PM
The only team to beat UK in Cincinnati the past half-century has been my beloved Dayton Flyers...in 2000.

I still think about that great night! Ranks right up there / Roosevelt Chapman scoring 52 against the mighty Oklahoma Sooners and Wayman Tisdale (who only scored 49 that game) in The Big Dance.

macro
03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Kentucky reached the regional final in 2003, the only time since 1999 the Wildcats have advanced past the Sweet 16. Last season, UK, then a No. 1 seed, was upset in the second round by UAB.

And it is here that I, a UK fan, see a troubling pattern. I commend Tubby for year-in-and-year-out taking the preseason #12-#13 ranked team and progressing them to a #1 or #2 tournament seed, including the #1 overall ranking in 02-03 and 03-04. But the regularity with which they are choking in the tournament is not something to be happy about. I would be shocked to see them go any further than the round of 16 this year, as well. In fact, they'll probably lose to Cincinnati. They have played very poorly the past three weeks or so.

DoogMinAmo
03-18-2005, 05:03 PM
This one has been bantered back and forth for the last fifteen years. However, you always seemed to hear more about it when Pitino was still coaching here. Huggins wanted a piece of Rick--really bad--but Rick would always smirk and claim that UK "had nothing to gain by playing UC." If you remember Huggins' reactions to Rick's comments--well...one would think that Rick expedited Huggins heart attack.

Seeing the way Louisville has outplayed UC pretty consistently, I can't say, unfortunately, I disagree with Rick. I have utmost respect for Pitino, and am picking Louisville to go all the way.

BigRedSmokey
03-18-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm a UK fan and graduate and I think the game is a toss up. UK has had trouble this year with teams that can rebound like UC. I'm not that familar with UC but from what I understand they don't shoot too well. So, if that holds true, rebounding will be the key.

The other thing that scares me as a UK fan is that UC wants this game moreso than UK. For UK players, they should be "up" since it's the NCAA's, but they don't have the extra motivation that UC has.

BTW, don't know how Huggins and Pitino's relationship is now since lyingRick is in Louisville, but I have read that Huggins and Tubby are good friends. FWIW.

StillFunkyB
03-18-2005, 08:47 PM
This is a dream come true matchup for alot of people, especially NKY. As a former resident of Covington I know that there are plenty of UC fans mixed in with the UK fans, and some confused individuals who like both.

Anyhoo, I just hope that at the very least UC can give them boys a fight. Otherwise those "blo...." er I mean "Die Hard" UK fans will be louder than ever.

:D

BearcatDrew
03-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Bearcats by 13

KronoRed
03-19-2005, 10:28 AM
All time results...with box scores! :)
http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Statistics/Cincinnati.html

Perhaps UC shold send a team from the local ymca instead ;)
http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Statistics/CincinnatiYMCA.html

:D

Red Hot Reds
03-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I can't believe Clark Kellogg just picked UC to upset UK today.

http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Graphics/Programs/19831220Cincinnati.jpg

macro
03-19-2005, 04:03 PM
I can't believe Clark Kellogg just picked UC to upset UK today.

http://www.ukfans.net/jps/uk/Graphics/Programs/19831220Cincinnati.jpg

I can. Like Digger, he'll pick against UK every chance he gets.

By the way, I remember the game that your program came from. It was before the shot clock, and an overmatched UC team held the ball FOREVER each time down the floor. Kentucky led that game 11-7 (yes, that's right -- eleven to seven!!!!) at the half and ended up winning the game 24-11. :eek:

Benihana
03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
I know this is non-Baseball, but given the magnitude and immediacy of tonight's game, I thought I would post here.

I say Bearcats, all the way!

Red Leader
03-19-2005, 04:37 PM
I hate both teams, but with that said, I'm rooting for Kentucky because #1, I think Bob Huggins is an idiot, and #2 my sister went to UK.

Raisor
03-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I don't think the Bearcats have enough pitching.

WVRed
03-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Bearcats by 13

Do you have UC beating Illinois in the National Championship too?;)

The game was moved from 5:40 to 8:10. WVU-Wake is supposed to be on here, but I guess WOWK-13 got flooded with emails, so they are showing the UK game on Adelphia 24 and Charter 22 for those in West Virginia.

WVRed
03-19-2005, 04:46 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32618

alex trevino
03-19-2005, 05:48 PM
degrees from both U.C. and UK but only root for the Bearcats!

BearcatDrew
03-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Do you have UC beating Illinois in the National Championship too?;)

No they lose to North Carolina in the final four, just kidding. If they don't lose today they'll lose in the sweet sixteen, if they don't lose then, they'll lose in the elite 8, thats my prediction.

Rocket_Fuel
03-19-2005, 08:04 PM
We'll see what happens. Kentucky is supposed to beat UC by 15 or 20 points. They're the #2 seed with the deep bench, great frontline and offense and dominant defense loaded with McDonald's All-Americans from a big time conference. UC doesn't have any of those, so there is no excuse for Kentucky not to blow UC away, as much of a UC fan as I am.

WVRed
03-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Bearcats by 13

Ahem.:)

Reds4Life
03-19-2005, 10:32 PM
The shot selection by UC in the last 4 minutes of this game was pathetic. Muhammad sucks, he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn

BearcatDrew
03-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Good Game, didn't like the result though

macro
03-19-2005, 11:50 PM
I was shocked at how UC gave up with 30 seconds to go and trailing by nine. That's three misses of the front end of a one-and-one by UK (who STUNK at the foul line tonight) and three three-pointers. Likely? Certainly not. Impossible? Certainly not. Stranger things have happened. Hey, this is your season. If there's ever a time to pull out all the stops, use up all your timeouts, this is it. I thought UC went into desperation mode with 1:30 to go. Was anyone else suprised by their collapse and the way they managed the last 1:30?

WVRed
03-19-2005, 11:50 PM
The shot selection by UC in the last 4 minutes of this game was pathetic. Muhammad sucks, he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn

Agreed, Maxiell was shut down for the most part, but why they didnt run plays for Nick Williams with him playing as lights out as he did is beyond me.

Kentucky won this game by pounding the ball inside, mostly during the second half. Chuck Hayes and Randolph Morris were quite the difference, and Rajon Rondo showed signs of scoring.

On a side note, even though I dont like WVU, I found myself pulling for them tonight against Wake. Seems like the ACC brings out the worst in me.:)

Red Hot Reds
03-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Another year, another second round loss for UC. Another Sweet 16 for UK...and this one is extra sweet. GO WILDCATS! This was our national championship tonight! Who knows, another trip to the final four isn't out of question...Duke didn't look that great in the second round.

StillFunkyB
03-20-2005, 05:03 AM
I really cannot believe I am going to say this, but with the way Jihad Muhammed played late in the game I found myself wanting Chadd Moore to put a uniform on.

That's bad.

Matt700wlw
03-20-2005, 08:24 AM
This game needs to happen on a regular basis....that was a hell of a game and a lot of fun

Too bad UK won....but they deserved it

Matt700wlw
03-20-2005, 08:27 AM
I hate both teams, but with that said, I'm rooting for Kentucky because #1, I think Bob Huggins is an idiot,

I hope that thought isn't because of what you read...because what you read about Huggs and his "renegade program" and his "he doesn't graduate players" is nothing but a bunch of garbage

macro
03-20-2005, 09:34 AM
This was our national championship tonight!

That's no way for a UK fan to talk! :)

WVRed
03-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Rumor has it that UVA is looking at Tubby Smith to replace Pete Gillen and they have the money to offer. Supposedly Tubby and Barnhardt dont get along. I dont see this happening though.

Huggins real test is going to come in recruiting players over Ohio to play for UC, especially with the major glut of talent coming from the city(Bill Walker, Keenan Ellis).

I wouldnt speculate on him going to Tennessee, as he turned down his alma mater in West Virginia, I would say he is staying. Tennessee is supposedly looking at Bob Knight.

Reds4Life
03-20-2005, 10:27 PM
I can't see Knight going to UT.

Blimpie
03-21-2005, 02:34 PM
I can. Like Digger, he'll pick against UK every chance he gets.

By the way, I remember the game that your program came from. It was before the shot clock, and an overmatched UC team held the ball FOREVER each time down the floor. Kentucky led that game 11-7 (yes, that's right -- eleven to seven!!!!) at the half and ended up winning the game 24-11. :eek:I, too, remember that game. It was absolutely FREEZING the night the game was played. I think that Kenny Walker was UK's leading scorer that night with 8 points??