PDA

View Full Version : Texas Lawmaker wants to ban sexy cheerleading

jmcclain19
03-18-2005, 03:46 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=592661

I think the only way to properly respond to the idea of passing this law, would be via cheer.

"Give me a F. Give me a U...."

Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading
Texas Lawmaker Says Cheerleaders Shouldn't Be Shaking Their Behinds
By APRIL CASTRO
The Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas Mar 18, 2005 — The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

Under Edwards' bill, if a school district knowingly permits such a performance, funds from the state would be reduced in an amount to be determined by the education commissioner.

Edwards said he filed the bill as a result of several instances of seeing such ribald performances in his district.

J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

"I don't think this law would really shake the industry at all. In fact, it would give parents a better feeling, mostly dads and boyfriends, too," Farias said.

Although cheerleaders must meet the same no-pass, no-play academic requirements of athletes, cheerleading is not a competition sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas high school sports.

The UIL also does not have performance regulations for squads who cheer for their teams at state championships, said Athletic Coordinator Peter Contreras.

"I think it should have been cut out a long time ago," Edwards said. "It surely needs to be toned down."

RFS62
03-18-2005, 03:49 PM
AUSTIN, Texas Mar 18, 2005 — The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

That's just madness, I tell ya.

Chip R
03-18-2005, 03:52 PM
He might have a better shot at outlawing football.

Johnny Footstool
03-18-2005, 03:57 PM
"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down,"said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House.

:MandJ:

Word, G. Word.

zombie-a-go-go
03-18-2005, 03:57 PM
What's wrong with this? The article reads as though the bill is aimed at 7-12 grade schools. And quite frankly, I don't need to see 15 year old girls simulating sex at a Jr-High football game.

Roy Tucker
03-18-2005, 04:02 PM
"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House.
I think Mr. Edwards has been studying this a little too closely. "Breaking it down"?

From my little narrow corner of the universe, cheerleaders have been fine. It's the dance teams that get a little too nasty.

But I think that's all up to the particular community and whether or not they want to let that kind of stuff go on. Legislating against it is dumb.

Joseph
03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
What's wrong with this? The article reads as though the bill is aimed at 7-12 grade schools. And quite frankly, I don't need to see 15 year old girls simulating sex at a Jr-High football game.

Absolutely. I think America as a whole has become to non-chalant when it comes to these type issues. Just because Britney Spears was a teen wanna be ***** doesn't mean all girls should try to be.

macro
03-18-2005, 04:31 PM
I agree with zombie and Joseph, and I also agree with Roy. It should be a policy set forth by each school district. Only problem with that, however, is that most people are too apathetic about the matter to force change.

TRF
03-18-2005, 09:04 PM
My daughter is a 15 year old Cheerleader. I was really worried about her during her freshman year. she had no focus, and was drifting through school. she was close to failing a couple of subjects. Towards the end of the year, she tried she tried out for the squad.

Now she has confidence in her self. she's joined multiple clubs (SADD, Journalism, Choir) She's going to Boston next month, And she's been on the honor roll every 6 weeks. Yeah, i get worried when i see the length of her skirts, but she wears something called under armor beneath it, at least on cold days. I go to the games she cheers at. She's on the JV squad, but tumbles with the Varsity girls. Tryouts are next week for next years squad, and I have no doubt she'll be on varsity this time around.

She now wants to be a surgeon. And I owe that in some part to cheerleading.

This representative does not represent me, that's for sure.

Unassisted
03-18-2005, 09:09 PM
I doubt that this will pass. I can imagine that the cheerleading/dance squad lobby is fierce. :)

Chip R
03-18-2005, 09:56 PM
The problem is how do you define "sexy cheerleading". If a girl shakes her rear end is that going to cause problems? If here skirt shows too much leg is that going to get the morality police after her?

macro
03-19-2005, 07:19 AM
The problem is how do you define "sexy cheerleading". If a girl shakes her rear end is that going to cause problems? If here skirt shows too much leg is that going to get the morality police after her?

Exactly, which is why it would have to be a local decision. Then the districts that were concerned with it could form some sort of review committee to approve uniforms and routines. Or, they could do what the local school board here did, and that's appoint a conservative (not meant politically) person to be varsity cheer sponsor, and the uniforms and routines are always rated G. That works much better than having a politician at the state capital determine what is appropriate/inappropriate.

DoogMinAmo
03-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Would they outlaw high kicks and back flips because they would expose unmentionables and suggest that certain boday parts are available for exhibition? Cmon, where do you draw the line... If it bothers you, either don't go to the games, or don't have your kid be a cheerleader.

GAC
03-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Will this law also include cheerleading fantasies? :p:

Don't our illustrious politicians have anything better to do or worry about? Like enacting a Spandex Law where certain people who have no business wearing it in public would be immediately arrested!

Red Thunder
03-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Laws like this are unnecessary. Personal freedom of choice (as long as nobody suffers from it) is most important in any democracy. If something is questionable from a moral standpoint I'd rather expect the parents to take some actions than the government.

Yachtzee
03-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Next thing you know, they'll outlaw dancing. Then Kevin Bacon will move to town and have to shake things up a bit. :)

TC81190
03-19-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm in favor. Not something kids need to be into.

GAC
03-19-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm in favor. Not something kids need to be into.

But they are into everything else. I think there are more serious concerns, in relationship to raiding our kids, then worrying about them seeing a cheerleader shaking her pom poms at a sporting event.

Lets face it.... if we think our kids are mature enough to be taught sex education in our schools, and that they don't need parental consent to get condoms or have an abortion, then why aren't they mature enough to handle this situation? It seems small potatoes to me.

TC81190
03-19-2005, 07:03 PM
But they are into everything else. I think there are more serious concerns, in relationship to raiding our kids, then worrying about them seeing a cheerleader shaking her pom poms at a sporting event.

Lets face it.... if we think our kids are mature enough to be taught sex education in our schools, and that they don't need parental consent to get condoms or have an abortion, then why aren't they mature enough to handle this situation? It seems small potatoes to me.

IMO, cuz those things are basically lost causes. No use in trying to fix it now. :doh:

Blimpie
05-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Hey, I thought cheerleaders had a constitutional right to be skeevy. I guess the lawmakers in TX had run out of things to vote upon ....

Texas House Bans 'Suggestive' Cheerleading
By APRIL CASTRO, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 51 minutes ago

After an alternately comic and fiery debate — punctuated by several lawmakers waving pompons — the state House on Tuesday approved a bill to restrict "overtly sexually suggestive" cheerleading to more ladylike performances.
The bill would give the state education commissioner authority to request that school districts review high school performances.

"Girls can get out and do all of these overly sexually performances and we applaud them, and that's not right," said Democratic Rep. Al Edwards, who filed the legislation.

Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. :eek:
Ribald performances are not defined in the bill. "Any adult that's been involved with sex in their lives, they know it when they see it," he said.

The bill passed on a 65-56 vote. It still must be approved by the Senate and signed by Republican Gov. Rick Perry.

One critic questioned the legislation's priorities.

"Have we done anything about stem cell research to help people who are dying and are sick advance their health? No," said Democratic Rep. Senfronia Thompson. "Have we done anything about the mentally ill, school finance or ethics?"

The American Civil Liberties Union said the measure was unnecessary because state law already prohibits public lewdness by students on or near a school campus.

Unassisted
05-04-2005, 11:42 AM
It's much easier to "fix" things like this in the state's schools than invest time, effort and compromise in fixing the state's abysmal school finance system. :thumbdown

SunDeck
05-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

And I thought sex was the cause of teenage pregnancies and STDs. Silly me...

SunDeck
05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
It's much easier to "fix" things like this in the state's schools than invest time, effort and compromise in fixing the state's abysmal school finance system. :thumbdown

Isn't the motto in Texas..."At least we're not Mississippi!"?

Mutaman
05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
How come Texas produces such great music and such dumb politicians?

Blimpie
05-04-2005, 12:15 PM
How come Texas produces such great music and such dumb politicians?Wow...just like that. A lighthearted thread about TX cheerleaders immediately morphs into--we can only assume by your vagueness--a George Bush bashing opportunity. Well done.

Unless of course, you were ONLY referring to the TX State Representatives. If that was case, then one thousand pardons coming your way... ;)

macro
05-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Given the context of Mutaman's comment, I don't think it's safe to necessarily assume he was referring to George Bush. I took it that he was referring to the folks who passed this particular law.

Blimpie
05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Given the context of Mutaman's comment, I don't think it's safe to necessarily assume he was referring to George Bush. I took it that he was referring to the folks who passed this particular law.You're right, Macro. I thought better of my phrasing and edited my post. Apologies if I jumped the gun....

gonelong
05-04-2005, 01:26 PM
And quite frankly, I don't need to see 15 year old girls simulating sex at a Jr-High football game.

Apparently you skipped from age 12 right to age 20. ;)

/just kidding, I agree with your point.

GL

RosieRed
05-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Edwards argued bawdy performances are a distraction for students resulting in pregnancies, dropouts and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.

Wow, who knew all it would take to stop all of the above is to "outlaw" suggestive cheerleading moves?

The idea that cheerleaders shaking their butts = pregnancies, dropouts and STDs is laughable, IMO.

I can't believe the lawmakers even found this bill worthy of their time. Is nothing else going on Texas that they have time to worry about something like this?

Mutaman
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Wow...just like that. A lighthearted thread about TX cheerleaders immediately morphs into--we can only assume by your vagueness--a George Bush bashing opportunity. Well done.

Unless of course, you were ONLY referring to the TX State Representatives. If that was case, then one thousand pardons coming your way... ;)

You'll never know will you. Interesting I mention "dumb politicians" and you immediatly think of our current president. I mean it could have been his daddy, or good old Tom Delay, or for you old folks , John Tower. Lots of possibilities. But the state has also produced:

Buddy Holly
Lightnin' Hopkins
Alejandro Excovedo
Charlie Sexton
Double Trouble
The Derailers
Johnny Winter
SRV
Albert Collins
Freddie King
The Fabulous Thunderbirds
Waylon Jennings
Guy Clark
Willie Nelson
Townes Van Zandt

Not to forget that guy we traded for Milt Pappas.
etc, etc.

So its about a wash.
Hope thats lighthearted enough , you all.

Blimpie
05-04-2005, 02:53 PM
You'll never know will you. Interesting I mention "dumb politicians" and you immediatly think of our current president. I mean it could have been his daddy, or good old Tom Delay, or for you old folks , John Tower....Hope thats lighthearted enough , you all.Nor will I lose any sleep over the matter. Let's just say my initial response was based more upon your "body of work" on such matters, rather than the precise sematics attributed to your aforementioned post.

westofyou
05-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Townes Van Zandt

"Townes Van Zandt is the greatest songwriter ever, and I'll stand on Bob Dylans coffee table in my cowboy boots and say it too."

Steve Earle

Mutaman
05-04-2005, 03:05 PM
"Townes Van Zandt is the greatest songwriter ever, and I'll stand on Bob Dylans coffee table in my cowboy boots and say it too."

Steve Earle

The quote of the day. If Steve said it, it must be true. I was just listening to " I Feel Alright".
You can catch Steve's great radio show on Air America every Sunday night at 10:00 EST. No politics, just great music and great talk about music.

Mutaman
05-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Nor will I lose any sleep over the matter. Let's just say my initial response was based more upon your "body of work" on such matters, rather than the precise sematics attributed to your aforementioned post.

It is a prodigious body of work.

Blimpie
05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
It is a prodigious body of work.Agreed ! :beerme:

Little Alex
05-04-2005, 03:29 PM

Better find some way to wipe out the entire media then. And heaven help you if you find yourself in THAT crowd. :laugh:

...damn terrorists. :evil:

Redsland
05-04-2005, 04:38 PM
This is precisely the reason why we have legislatures, checked by a multi-tiered judicial system empowered to pass vital, constitutional laws that protect the governed, all enforced by the bureaucracy of the executive branch of the government and its duly sworn agencies.

Of course, they could also have a quiet chat with the cheerleading coach and get the same result, but hey.

:)

shapu
05-05-2005, 09:57 AM
And I thought sex was the cause of teenage pregnancies and STDs. Silly me...

Yeah, funny that. Of course, this is a state that allows counties to refuse to teach children of any age how to use condoms, so what can you do?

Isn't the motto in Texas..."At least we're not Mississippi!"?

That's West Virginia.

TRF
05-05-2005, 10:13 AM

hear, hear!

If my insurance benefits get cut one more time, i may dress in a cheerleading outfit to supplement my income.

BTW, i mentioned my daughter was trying out for Varsity for next year's squad. She made it. And the Honor Roll, and was named an editor for the yearbook for next year. And i owe a lot of her success in school to the fact that she wiggles her tush at football games as a cheerleader. It's a trade i'll happily make, because i know AS A PARENT that I am raising my daughter right. I know what she is doing, and where she is. I monitor all her activities as much as possible, but i know she'll make the right decisions when life comes at her (sex, alcohol, drugs)

Because AS A PARENT, that is MY job, not the state's.

LincolnparkRed
05-05-2005, 10:27 AM
hear, hear!

BTW, i mentioned my daughter was trying out for Varsity for next year's squad. She made it. And the Honor Roll, and was named an editor for the yearbook for next year. And i owe a lot of her success in school to the fact that she wiggles her tush at football games as a cheerleader. It's a trade i'll happily make, because i know AS A PARENT that I am raising my daughter right. I know what she is doing, and where she is. I monitor all her activities as much as possible, but i know she'll make the right decisions when life comes at her (sex, alcohol, drugs)

Because AS A PARENT, that is MY job, not the state's.

I have to say I figured when I read the title of this post I thought it would be lots of jokes and sarcastic comments but TRF you bring up a good point about how at some point parents need to reclaim the responsibilities of raising their own children and not looking to or allowing others to decide how you should raise your children.

On your other point about how well chearleeding had helped your daughter I remember back to my high school days, and while the football cheerleaders were really nothing special the girls that cheered for basketball (we had like 4 varsity squads) were all smart, two were the captains of the girls soccer team and all were involved in student government. I think in alot of schools it was looked down on but I also recall in my school you had to maintain your grades to cheer just like you had to keep up your grades to play soccer.

Unassisted
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
At least there are some legislators with common sense in the other house of the Texas legislature.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/stategov/stories/MYSA050505.15A.lege_cheerleader.2433c604d.html

Senators have no pep for cheerleader bill

Web Posted: 05/05/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Gary Scharrer
Express-News Austin Bureau

AUSTIN — Texas cheerleaders might not have to worry, after all, that state lawmakers will be watching every shake and wiggle.

The Senate said it's too busy working on a new state budget and trying to fix school finance to worry about the extracurricular stuff on Friday night football fields.

It's not appropriate for the state to regulate cheerleading, Senate Education Chair Florence Shapiro, R-Plano, said Wednesday.

The cheerleading bill would land in her committee — if House author Rep. Al Edwards, D-Houston, can find a willing Senate sponsor for the bill that cleared the House 85-55 on its third reading Wednesday. The bill would ban sexually suggestive dance moves.

“What happens in those local districts needs to stay in local districts,” Shapiro said. “They should monitor the routine or the clothing, and there should be very stringent rules and regulations in the individual local school districts. That's why we have local control.”

Under their breath, some senators described the cheerleading regulation bill as silly and ridiculous.

And it will die as soon as it arrives in the Senate, said former high school cheerleader Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo.

“It's late in the session, and everybody is working so hard (on the budget, school funding and tax reform),” Zaffirini said. “Everybody is focused on the big picture and the big issues — and there are many, many good bills that are not being passed simply because there isn't time.”

Zaffirini didn't expect her House colleagues to invest time and passion on a cheerleading bill: “I was surprised because they, too, are very busy,” she said.

Gov. Rick Perry, a former Aggie yell leader during his college days, suggested that state law addressing lewd behavior might be sufficient to reign in extra exuberant cheerleaders.

“We'll see whether or not the Texas Legislature feels it needs to send a stronger message than, quite frankly, it's already been sent,” Perry said. “I've got an idea that school boards may be taking a little closer look at it even if this legislation doesn't pass through the Senate.”

RFS62
05-05-2005, 11:47 AM
If we stop cheerleaders from shaking their collective butts, then the terrorists have won.

That's a world I'm not sure I want to live in.

Puffy
05-05-2005, 12:21 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/916060/ChOt-Arianna.jpg

Yachtzee
05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/916060/ChOt-Arianna.jpg
"Who's that Spartan with junk in the trunk?"

"It's Me. It's Me!"