PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite 8-bit Nintendo game

DoogMinAmo
03-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Talking with jm on the baseball side got me thinking about the good old days in the gaming universe. What are your favorite games from the original Nintendo?

nominations:

Super Mario Brothers
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
and of course, Bases Loaded

letsgojunior
03-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Brothers
Skate or Die
Bubble Bobble
Super Mario 3

TeamCasey
03-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Zelda!

DoogMinAmo
03-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Double Dribble
And the underdog no one has heard of: Cobra Triangle

Raisor
03-22-2005, 07:40 PM
http://www.appolo.com/collection/pcbcollection/tetris/tetris_d.jpg

GAC
03-22-2005, 07:45 PM
When you get down to listing Atari 2600/5200 games, then let me know. :lol:

Raisor
03-22-2005, 07:50 PM
When you get down to listing Atari 2600/5200 games, then let me know. :lol:

http://www.funet.fi/pub/msx/photos/gamecovers/River_Raid_-Activision_Ponyca-_front_Japanese.jpg

Yachtzee
03-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Tecmo Bowl
Punch Out
Baseball Stars
Castlevania

GAC
03-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Now you're talking. :thumbup:

I always liked Auto Racing On Ice on the old 2600.

Raisor
03-22-2005, 07:56 PM
My three favorite 2600 games were River Raid, Chopper Command (I got that cool patch you could send away for when you scored a certain amount of points) and Pitfall.

I've got an Activision disc around the house someplace.

Yachtzee
03-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Now you're talking. :thumbup:

I always liked Auto Racing On Ice on the old 2600.

Pitfall
Combat
Basketball

The worst game was Journey: Escape

Raisor
03-22-2005, 08:02 PM
The worst game was Journey: Escape

Dude, if Steve Perry was here, he's knock you on your head.

http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/2600/journey_escape.png

Fil3232
03-22-2005, 08:08 PM
For Nintendo:

Contra
Bases Loaded
Double Dragon

GAC
03-22-2005, 08:08 PM
I still have my 2600 and 5200 systems with all the games (including River Raid). What I don't have are any controllers. We palyed it so much back then that the controllers are shot. They weren't very durable.

And you just can't find them anymore.

My kids have some of theose older arcade games on Nintendo Gamecube now though.

I found Galaga rather addicting.

My kids are HUGE Nintendo fans.

My oldest boy is hooked on anything Mario. He just got the newly released StarFox game also.

Raisor
03-22-2005, 08:11 PM
I still have my 2600 and 5200 systems with all the games (including River Raid). What I don't have are any controllers. We palyed it so much back then that the controllers are shot. They weren't very durable.

And you just can't find them anymore.

My kids have some of theose older arcade games on Nintendo Gamecube now though.

I found Galaga rather addicting.

If you go to Best Buys, you can buy a 2600/5200 controller system with a ton of games included for like 10 bucks.

wheels
03-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Tecmo Bowl

RBI Baseball - The first game with real player's names on it! Plus, if you used the NL Allstars, Eric Davis was on there, and I always used to half swing his bat so it looked like his stance. It was totally RAD. And the music changed to a more dramatic style when you had guys in scoring position. It was awesome. That Tigers team rocked, but I could beat 'em with Houston. Love that team speed, baby!

Baseball Stars was cool too, because you could create players, and sign free agents and stuff.

GIK
03-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Excitebike

Redsfaithful
03-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Baseball Stars
Final Fantasy
Tecmo Bowl/Super Tecmo Bowl
Super Mario Brothers 3
The Legend of Zelda
Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Loved the Nintendo.

MWM
03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Zelda
Punch-Out
Out Run
Metroid
SMB

wheels
03-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Nobody likes RBI?

What's WROOOONG with you people?! :MandJ:

Redsfaithful
03-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Nobody likes RBI?

What's WROOOONG with you people?! :MandJ:

Baseball Stars was far superior in my opinion. But I enjoyed RBI as well.

KronoRed
03-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Super Mario 1 2 and 3 :D
Tecmo Super Bowl
That weird baseball game..with 8 teams..I forget it's name
Duck Hunt
Top Gun
Paperboy
:D

TC81190
03-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Atari is weak. Same goes for anything pre-NES.

I'll go with SMB3.

Johnny Footstool
03-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Baseball Stars was the best, hands down.

Baseball Simulator 1.000 was a close second. You could hit splashdown homers into the water at Harbor Stadium more than a decade before they opened Pac-Bell Park.

I also liked the original Pro Wrestling -- Kin Korn Karn, Giant Panther, King Slender, and of course the oddly-named Amazon (who was not an Amazon warrior, but a dude in a piranha suit).

And the original Ice Hockey was really cool. You could customize your team with Fat/Slow/Strong players, Skinny/Fast/Weak players, or Average players. And the fights were really cool.

Those old NES games had a lot of cleverness, charm, and humor that has kind of vanished from the more involved games we have today.

gonelong
03-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Tecmo Bowl

there is no other

GL

Redsfaithful
03-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Baseball Simulator 1.000

Forgot about that game, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Scrap Irony
03-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Tecmo Bowl

Word, yo.

LT was the absolute bomb.

As were the Bears entire defense and Ronnie Lott.

But nothing compared to the Raiders-- Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson plus the long slant route.

Redsfaithful
03-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Word, yo.

LT was the absolute bomb.

As were the Bears entire defense and Ronnie Lott.

But nothing compared to the Raiders-- Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson plus the long slant route.

In Super Tecmo Bowl I used to pick the Lions and see how many rushing yards I could get in a season with Barry Sanders. If I recall I generally maxed at around 4-5000.

Every kickoff I'd run to the one yard line and go out of bounds so that he could rush for 99 yards on the drive.

CbusRed
03-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Man, I remember playing Tecmo Super Bowl at all hours of the night. Guys like Thurman Thomas, Christian Okoye, Marcus Allen, and Bo Jackson were unstoppable. And who can forget the 50 yard drop and 100 yard *IN THE AIR* TD passes??? I can remember seasons in which I controlled David Fulcher to 60+ sacks.

As far as Basketball games, Double Dribble reigned Supreme, with the slow motion dunks!

For hockey, My game of choice was Blades of Steel... The only game with actual fighting. Allthough, Ice Hockey was always fun with loading your teams up with fat guys and bullying your opponent, or loading it with skinny guys to skate circles around your opponent.

I was always a 'Bases Loaded 2' kind of boy when it came to baseball, but I also enjoyed a game called Dusty Diamond's all star Softball.. It never really got popular, but it was sweet.

With racing games, RC Pro-Am was the way to go, but I also liked Excitebike. Making your own tracks was always fun.

Mike Tyson's Punch-out was an unbelievable game. I still play it to this day on my emulator.

I never fell for all the Zelda hype, Dragon Warrior was a far superior RPG.

And the best of the Mario games was definitley Super Mario 2

Man do I miss those days.... popping in the cartridge and pressing power, only to have the screen flash between screens of black and white, then pulling the cartridge out and blowing in it, sticking it back in, and if that didnt work, you stuck your finger in the side of the NES and and jammed the cartridge over to the side.

A staple of my generation.

Larkin Fan
03-23-2005, 12:15 AM
I spent many hours playing SMB 1, SMB 3, Tetris, and Duck Hunt. All of those rock, imo.

wheels
03-23-2005, 02:33 AM
That weird baseball game..with 8 teams..I forget it's name

:D

RBI!!!

But they had 10 teams.

I can't believe nobody likes RBI.....

I'm shaking my head in disgust right now.

Ravenlord
03-23-2005, 03:31 AM
Hoops
Joust
Double Dragon
Gauntlet
some RPG that i can't remember the name of
Zelda
Punch-Out
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II and III
Super Mario 3
Duck Hunt
Final Fantasy I

DoogMinAmo
03-23-2005, 03:51 AM
Double Dragon I and II and Contra and Super Contra

KronoRed
03-23-2005, 03:59 AM
RBI!!!

But they had 10 teams.

I can't believe nobody likes RBI.....

I'm shaking my head in disgust right now.

I think that's it..is that the one that had the cpu charge the mound if you accidentally hit the batter? ;)

wheels
03-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I think that's it..is that the one that had the cpu charge the mound if you accidentally hit the batter? ;)

No, that was Bases Loaded.

That game was really strange 'cause if you struck a guy out three times in a row, he'd day "You BUM" as he walked back to the dugout.

KronoRed
03-23-2005, 08:13 AM
Bases Loaded! that's right..that game was fun :D

StillFunkyB
03-23-2005, 08:43 AM
What is a wren?

Johnny Footstool
03-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Dusty Diamond's all star Softball

I liked that game. It had some quirkiness to it -- one of the fields was on a cliff, and your players could fall off. The gameplay was lousy, but you picked your team from a pool of players, which was cool. I liked the ogre who used a spiked mace as a bat.

CbusRed
03-23-2005, 09:39 AM
I liked that game. It had some quirkiness to it -- one of the fields was on a cliff, and your players could fall off. The gameplay was lousy, but you picked your team from a pool of players, which was cool. I liked the ogre who used a spiked mace as a bat.

Yeah, there was all kinds of cool fields to play in like the school, where if you broke a window you were automatically out, and all different kinds of players. The player you are speaking of is Diablo, and he is a devil. Boy he could hit the long ball!

zombie-a-go-go
03-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Contra - the first NES game I ever beat. Thank you Up Down Up Down Left Right Left Right B A Start!

also:
Dragon Warrior
Final Fantasy
RC Pro-Am
Legend of Zelda

Blimpie
03-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Tecmo Bowl

there is no other

GLWord. As a team, the Eagles (with Randall Cunningham and Reggie White in "excellent") could NOT be stopped. As a player, well all I need to say is.....Bo knows Super Tecmo Bowl. :gac:

jmcclain19
03-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Cbus isn't Blades of Steel Great?

Remember that was the first game you could play and fight in.

Arch Rivals, another solid game

But I spent most of my time playing SMB2, Tecmo/Super Tecmo Bowl, Baseball Simulator 1.000, Duck Hunt, Punchout and Mega Man.

Cedric
03-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Jackal, baseball stars, excite bike!!!!!

CbusRed
03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Anyone else remember Blades of Steel?

Oh I see how it is, you dont read my posts..

well, from now on, Im not reading your posts either!!

jmcclain19
03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Jackal, baseball stars, excite bike!!!!!

Excitebike was the best.

I can still remember that blue grass, and when you ate it off a large jump, you had to waddle back to your bike to get started again. Can still hear the sound of the engines revving on that game.

jmcclain19
03-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Oh I see how it is, you dont read my posts..

well, from now on, Im not reading your posts either!!

http://home.insight.rr.com/craigwalkup/images/NO!.jpg

Heh, I started reading yours about tecmo bowl and it started an avalanche of memories and I just started typing

CbusRed
03-23-2005, 12:40 PM
http://home.insight.rr.com/craigwalkup/images/NO%21.jpg

Heh, I started reading yours about tecmo bowl and it started an avalanche of memories and I just started typing

HAH, thats awesome, I felt the same thing when I first opened up this thread. Opened up the floodgates of my childhood memories.

Im definitley firing up the emulator when I get home today.

Redsfaithful
03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
http://zeldaclassic.com/

jmcclain19
03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
http://zeldaclassic.com/

Ahh, Zelda in the gold case.

Remember you could wander around for hours trying to upgrade your goods.

HotCorner
03-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Zelda
Tecmo Bowl
Bases Loaded
Baseball Stars
Excitebike
Super Mario Brothers
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Ice Hockey
Blades of Steel

Ahhh ... good times.

CbusRed
03-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Cbus isn't Blades of Steel Great?

Remember that was the first game you could play and fight in.

Arch Rivals, another solid game

But I spent most of my time playing SMB2, Tecmo/Super Tecmo Bowl, Baseball Simulator 1.000, Duck Hunt, Punchout and Mega Man.

Judging by your game picks, I bet we could have been great friends back in the day. providing we lived within a bike ride of eachother.

GoReds
03-23-2005, 02:56 PM
So, who actually still has their Nintendo system and their favorite games?

Blimpie
03-23-2005, 03:01 PM
So, who actually still has their Nintendo system and their favorite games?After I moved about five years ago, I had a garage sale and everything we are discussing here (system, controllers, many games listed in this thread--including Tecmo) fetched a whopping $ 25.00. When my wife told me what she had done, I went into the fetal position in the corner of the room. :dflynn:

Yachtzee
03-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Any Intellivision fans here remember Burger Time, Mattel Baseball and B-17 Bomber?

DoogMinAmo
03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Mine still works wonderfully, except for the madatory blowing and clicking, but wasn't that in the owvers manual? :)

Oh yeah, I also have the power pad and, unfortunately, the power glove, one of the worst bandwagon inventions ever created for Nintendo.

The megaman franchise was definitely a great investment as well. As far as racing games, I am surprised no one has mentioned Rad Racer yet. It was THE precursor to all that is racing now.

Ravenlord
03-23-2005, 06:53 PM
me. :)

KronoRed
03-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Sadly mine died about 10 years ago, I should have held a funeral :cry:

GoReds
03-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Don't much care for Ebay, but in this instance, it worked pretty well. Found a game system out there for $25 with a bunch of games included.

Came from Louisville.

Had "Blimpie" inscribed on the side. :p:

But seriously, I did get my system off of Ebay for about that price. Baseball Stars and Super Tecmo Bowl in seperate orders. Problem was, Super Tecmo Bowl turned out to be Frogger once I loaded it.

Bummer.

gonelong
03-23-2005, 11:23 PM
In Super Tecmo Bowl I used to pick the Lions and see how many rushing yards I could get in a season with Barry Sanders. If I recall I generally maxed at around 4-5000.

Every kickoff I'd run to the one yard line and go out of bounds so that he could rush for 99 yards on the drive.

I can't remember how many I maxed out on, but I would take your same options and put it to the extreme. I would take the return to the one, run my guy as far as I could, then on the next down use the fullback or whatever to run back to where I thought I could still make a 1st down with the stud back.

Something like this. 30 yd run from the one, lose 30 yds on next run. Run 20 yds next run, 15 next, 10 next, first down. Run back to 1 yd line, repeat. Ha Ha, shocked the heck out of one of my brothers when I showed him my rushing totals for the season. Had some games where I was playing weak defenses and ran for nearly 1000 yds in a game.

We still have our orignal Nintendo with the original Techmo Bowl. We break it out once a year, Thanksgiving, and play it all day with a rotation of 4 brothers, and (now) 3 nephews.

GL

CbusRed
03-24-2005, 12:14 AM
On the drive out to Tempe for the National Championship game in '03, we had a laptop with an AC power converter. The whole panhandle of Texas was consumed by a round-robin tecmo super bowl tourney using an emulator on the laptop. we had nintendo style gamepads and all.

reds1869
03-24-2005, 09:06 AM

That would be me. I also have my Super Nintendo, which is currently fired up with Tecmo Super Bowl. Gotta love the David Klingler led Bengals--what a fierce passing attack! :dflynn:

My favorite games for the NES are Tecmo Bowl, the Zelda games, Tetris, Dr. Mario, and the entire Super Mario Brothers series.

HotCorner
03-24-2005, 10:30 AM
RC Pro-Am

Wow. My brother used to love that game ... and Excitebike!

westofyou
03-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Pinball was my era.

http://shots.oxo.li/pinball/Bally_Gottlieb/Capt-Fantastic.jpg

HotCorner
03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Anybody remember these games?

http://www.tomshardware.pl/consumer/20031222/images/mattel.jpg

I loved that football game. Spent a lot of my pre-video game years playing that thing to death.

Even back then (elementary school years) I was such a stats junky then that I kept my own stats by writing them into a notebook. :help:

I guess I was just ahead of my time because now all the games do that for you. ;)

jmcclain19
03-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Judging by your game picks, I bet we could have been great friends back in the day. providing we lived within a bike ride of eachother.

We would have wasted each other in Arch Rivals for months on end.

jmcclain19
03-24-2005, 11:33 AM
When I had tecmo super bowl, I tried every year to get the Cardinals good, only to disapointment.

You know how hard that is?

Now that I have emulators on my computer, the original is more fun. Just be the Bears and play as Mike Singletary, and get in front of the guy the ball is being passed to and it's an interception, every time.

And to answer the question, I had my system burn out just before I went to college.
Luckily I never threw out my games.
One of the main reasons I love my gf, is that she had her mint condition NES system and all her games good to go and she gave it to me, so now in my house I have my PS2 and my NES both hooked up with hers and my NES games. Anytime I'm feeling it I bust out Super Mario, Excitebike or Super Tecmo Bowl and have a entertaining little while.

CbusRed
03-24-2005, 04:38 PM
We would have wasted each other in Arch Rivals for months on end.

Man, When I was little, the movie theater in my town had a small arcade, and Arch Rivals was in it. What was cool was that there was a way for the vendors to tweak the programming in the game to rename the teams. So the teams in this machine were named after the high school teams in our area. It was always fun to go in and kick the crap out of our rivals, St. Marys.

This might be my favorite thread ever.

GoReds
03-24-2005, 04:42 PM
One of the main reasons I love my gf, is that she had her mint condition NES system and all her games good to go and she gave it to me, so now in my house I have my PS2 and my NES both hooked up with hers and my NES games. Anytime I'm feeling it I bust out Super Mario, Excitebike or Super Tecmo Bowl and have a entertaining little while.

If you don't marry this girl, I'm betting there will be many lining up to take your place. Having a Nintendo and allowing you to use it is one of the 5 basic credentials necessary for wifely consideration.

redsfanmia
03-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Any one remember Battle Toads? that game ruled. Baseball Stars was great, Remember the American Dreams?

Raisor
03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Anybody remember these games?

http://www.tomshardware.pl/consumer/20031222/images/mattel.jpg

I loved that football game. Spent a lot of my pre-video game years playing that thing to death.

Raisor still has the football game.

CbusRed
03-24-2005, 09:16 PM
Bill Lambier's combat basketball!

DoogMinAmo
03-26-2005, 08:29 PM
This thread got me to dig out my Nintendo and play Baseball stars for two games straight...

only to lose my team to the depths of the NES ram.