PDA

View Full Version : New Villian for Spidey 3

Raisor
03-22-2005, 08:42 PM
THC would make a great Eddie Brock, which means.....

VENOM~!

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=filmNews&storyID=2005-03-22T062922Z_01_N22234869_RTRIDST_0_FILM-FILM-CHURCH-DC.XML

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Thomas Haden Church, who was nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor in "Sideways," has been cast as Spidey's new archenemy in the next chapter of the "Spider-Man" franchise.

Director Sam Raimi made the announcement Monday along with producers Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad.

"Spider-Man 3," which is scheduled for release May 4, 2007, will reunite the team that was responsible for the first two blockbuster films, which combined to gross more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales.

The new film will again star Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and Kirsten Dunst is expected to reprise her role as Mary Jane Watson. Production on "Spider-Man 3" is scheduled to begin early next year.

"In addition to the ongoing relationship between Peter Parker and M.J., these films are driven by the great actors who have brought our villains to life," Raimi said. "Thomas Haden Church will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis, and we all look forward to working with him."

The filmmakers are not revealing the identity of the new villain.

Church is voicing one of the characters in the upcoming animated film "Charlotte's Web," and he recently appeared in Columbia Pictures' "Spanglish."

The actor's other credits include the films "George of the Jungle," "3000 Miles to Graceland," "Monkeybone" and "Tombstone." In 2003, he starred in, co-wrote and directed the comedy "Rolling Kansas." On the small screen, Church played Lowell Mather on the NBC series "Wings" from 1990-95 and starred on the 1995-97 Fox comedy "Ned and Stacey."

Redsfaithful
03-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Sideways was one of the worst Best Picture nominees I've ever personally seen, but Church was tolerable.

Aceking
03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Different Strokes I guess.

I thought Sideways was terrific.

RFS62
03-22-2005, 09:57 PM
I did too.

Redsfaithful
03-22-2005, 09:59 PM
I just couldn't stand the pretentiousness, and was annoyed that it was nominated for a Best Picture. Maybe my expectations were too high going in.

DoogMinAmo
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
another possiblity: the Lizard

although at the end of spidey 2, there was a strong allusion to the appearance of the hobgoblin

Steve4192
03-22-2005, 10:26 PM
although at the end of spidey 2, there was a strong allusion to the appearance of the hobgoblin
Not to be a comic book weenie, but doesn't Harry become the Green Goblin II? I thought the Hobgoblin is some random dude who broke into Oscorp and stole the technology.

ochre
03-22-2005, 10:33 PM
isn't lizardman Dr. Connors or whatever? Wasn't that the name of peter's teacher in Spidey 2?

Johnny Footstool
03-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Doc Connors is the Lizard. I think he had a cameo in Spidey 2.

I always kinda liked the fact that Venom was created from Spidey's symbiote suit. They could never write that into the 2-hour movie, though.

I just hope they don't go the way of the Batman franchise and try to throw as many villains as possible into each movie.

zombie-a-go-go
03-23-2005, 05:24 AM
There's also going to be a female villian, according to Chloe Sevigny (who's trying out for the part).

DoogMinAmo
03-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Doc Connors is the Lizard. I think he had a cameo in Spidey 2.

I always kinda liked the fact that Venom was created from Spidey's symbiote suit. They could never write that into the 2-hour movie, though.

I just hope they don't go the way of the Batman franchise and try to throw as many villains as possible into each movie.

I smell CROSSOVER!!

But seriously, they have put a lot of energy into conveying Parker's weakness, so the idea of a power hungry version of spiderman, one that would embrace the symbiote suit, isnt all that unlikely. As far as having spidey battle the lizard and venom, yeah it might be too much to handle. maybe Captain America might show up :D

Hey, wasn't there also some vampire named morpheus? IIRC, Church doesn't look too far off from him, I can almost picture it.

Raisor
03-23-2005, 06:09 AM
I could see the first ten minutes of the movie opening with Spidey taking on the Lizard as a way to jump start the film.

DoogMinAmo
03-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Ahh yes, the power of google. I have found someone obsessed enough to answer our villain questions. (http://www.samruby.com/pollvillainbattleresults.htm)

The entire site is www.samruby.com (http://www.samruby.com)

The vampire's name is Morbius, and Steve you were right, he does in fact become the Green Goblin II.

KronoRed
03-23-2005, 06:27 AM
DANGER

Too many villains and we end up in Batman and Robin territory :help:

Johnny Footstool
03-23-2005, 09:26 AM
There's also going to be a female villian, according to Chloe Sevigny (who's trying out for the part).

The Black Cat?

Man, I hope not.

ochre
03-23-2005, 09:31 AM
dude. If I even hear a hint of the beyonder showing up I quit superhero movies for like ever or something.

TRF
03-23-2005, 09:55 AM
If they go Ultimate Venom route, it might have a chance. Still a tough origin though.

Beyonder was the stupidist omnipotent villain ever.

I see ochre has read the latest issue of X-Men. First Cerebro, now the Danger Room. What's next? the Blackbird? Couldn't they at least wait 10 years before re-doing the exact same story? I think I'll call this storyline Rio Lobo.

THC could play Ned Leeds. He was Hobgoblin I. makes for a good HobGoblin/Green Goblin battle.

ochre
03-23-2005, 10:15 AM
I guess I missed the cerebro story line. That makes the Danger rooms anger less impressive :). Having not seen it as a regurgitated story arc, it seemed like a compelling story, so I guess I'll seek to avoid the cerebro one :)

TRF
03-23-2005, 04:29 PM
basically, Cerebro came to life, created a "New X-Team" and got it's butt handed to it by the current team, then absorbed the "new team" and ran away to plot another day.

really really sucked imo.

M2
03-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Make mine Electro. Plus, isn't JJJ's son, played by Daniel Gillies in the last movie, the future Venom?

TRF
03-23-2005, 05:42 PM
John Jameson was the lame Man-Wolf.

Lot's o' Spidey villains in Spiderman 2.

Johnny Footstool
03-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Make mine Electro.

Complete with 70's disco lightning bolt headpiece.

http://www.keystar-r-s.com/reviews/pics/comics/marvel/Electro.jpg

TRF
03-23-2005, 05:48 PM
anyone but the Vulture

A geriatric villain inspires no fear.

Raisor
03-23-2005, 06:31 PM
anyone but the Vulture

A geriatric villain inspires no fear.

Hopefully Doc Ock isn't quite as dead as he appeared at the end of S2. That way, he can try to marry Aunt May like he did in the comics.

M2
03-23-2005, 06:38 PM
John Jameson was the lame Man-Wolf.

Lot's o' Spidey villains in Spiderman 2.

My bad. Isn't it odd that in Peter Parker's world almost everyone turns into a supervillain?

DoogMinAmo
03-23-2005, 06:46 PM
I wonder if they will stop at three movies, or if this will become a regular thing, ala James Bond? Same can be said for the X-men franchise, except none of the actors want to sign beyond three movies, hence the expedited emergence of the Pheonix. With Spiderman, they sure are leaving the door open.

ochre
03-23-2005, 07:22 PM
My bad. Isn't it odd that in Peter Parker's world almost everyone turns into a supervillain?
without the heroes there would be no villains...

or something like that.

ochre
03-23-2005, 07:23 PM
I wonder if they will stop at three movies, or if this will become a regular thing, ala James Bond? Same can be said for the X-men franchise, except none of the actors want to sign beyond three movies, hence the expedited emergence of the Pheonix. With Spiderman, they sure are leaving the door open.
Tobey Maguire has the opportunity to be the Mark Hamil of his generation.

TC81190
03-23-2005, 10:19 PM
After reading this thread, my head is spinning.

Johnny Footstool
03-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Tobey Maguire has the opportunity to be the Mark Hamil of his generation.

Nah. Tobey was a well-established and respected actor before he donned the Spidey suit. Mark Hamill was an unknown with limited acting chops.

TRF
03-24-2005, 10:55 AM

yeah actually.

friends/acquaintences/villains

Doc Conners - Lizard
Harry Osborn - Goblin II
Liz Osborn's Brother - Molten Man
Gwen Stacy Birthed two children by Harry Osborn
John Jameson - Man-Wolf
Ned Leeds - Hobgoblin I
Eddie Brock - Venom
Peter Parker Clone - Kaine

and on and on and on.