PDA

View Full Version : Should I have traded Bonds?

Mitri
03-26-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm in my first fantasy league and I missed the draft so the automatic-pick drafted Bonds for me. It was a pick I wouldn't have made so early and, well I was stuck with what I got because I missed it.

Figuring Bonds may miss half the season I decided to throw up a trade right away - Bonds for Kearns, straight up.

Am I an idiot for doing this?

Otherwise my offense is pretty great - Carl Crawford, Rolen, Konerko, Sheffield, and really, my heart wanted a few Reds (I'm attempiting a trade for DLo too).

Opinions and help needed! thanks.

thrilljam
03-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Given the unknown future for Bonds this year, I don't blame you for dealing him. You may have been able to get Kearns and a second player though, but I wouldn't call the trade idiotic. Hopefully Kearns will put up better numbers this year. Plus it's always fun to have guys from your favorite teams to root for.

Mitri
03-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Well the trade was vetoed. Everyone thought I we were pulling a fast one or something, apparently it was a stupid trade on my part. And I guess it was.

SirFelixCat
03-28-2005, 07:04 PM
If Bonds sits all year, you look like a genius.

Take a look at my post...please Click here. (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32868)

TeamCasey
03-29-2005, 06:50 AM
I'm in the same dilemma. My auto-picks gave me one hitter and it was Bonds. I'm crying in my coffee this morning.

pedro
03-29-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm in the same dilemma. My auto-picks gave me one hitter and it was Bonds. I'm crying in my coffee this morning.

And maybe we'll all be crying in our beer come august.

I think it'll work out ok for you.

IslandRed
03-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Hard to give advice not knowing the parameters of your league. You can stash Bonds on a bench/DL spot, right? So it comes down to what kind of outfielder is available as a free agent, and your best guess of whether a half-season of Bonds and a half-season of a waiver pickup would beat a full season of whoever you could trade for.

As alluded to in another thread, though, people are too heavyhanded with the vetoes. I'd be willing to bet that the same people who blackballed that trade wouldn't give you anything better for Bonds themselves under the circumstances. I wouldn't be surprised if that theme is being played out in leagues everywhere -- "don't let the guy stuck with Bonds off the hook."