PDA

View Full Version : Wash Post: Native Americans Criticize Bush's Silence on School Shooting

Unassisted
03-29-2005, 09:05 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64317-2005Mar24.html

Native Americans Criticize Bush's Silence

Response to School Shooting Is Contrasted With President's Intervention in Schiavo Case

By Ceci Connolly
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, March 25, 2005; Page A06

MINNEAPOLIS, March 24 -- Native Americans across the country -- including tribal leaders, academics and rank-and-file tribe members -- voiced anger and frustration Thursday that President Bush has responded to the second-deadliest school shooting in U.S. history with silence.

Three days after 16-year-old Jeff Weise killed nine members of his Red Lake tribe before taking his own life, grief-stricken American Indians complained that the White House has offered little in the way of sympathy for the tribe situated in the uppermost region of Minnesota.

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/article/pieces/enlargePhotoIcon_91x14.gif (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29)
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/images/I64733-2005Mar24 (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29) Lance Crowe, left, listens as Cody Thunder speaks to reporters at a hospital in Bemidji, Minn. Both were wounded in the Red Lake school rampage. (Scott Olson -- Getty Images)

"From all over the world we are getting letters of condolence, the Red Cross has come, but the so-called Great White Father in Washington hasn't said or done a thing," said Clyde Bellecourt, a Chippewa Indian who is the founder and national director of the American Indian Movement here. "When people's children are murdered and others are in the hospital hanging on to life, he should be the first one to offer his condolences. . . . If this was a white community, I don't think he'd have any problem doing that."

Weise's victims included his grandfather and five teenagers; seven other students were wounded, and two of them remain in serious condition in a hospital in Fargo, N.D.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan, in an informal discussion with reporters Tuesday, said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who were killed."

"I hope that he would say something," said Victoria Graves, a cultural educator at Red Lake Elementary School on the reservation. "It's important that there's acknowledgment of the tragedy. It's important he sees the tribes are out here. We need help."

The reaction to Bush's silence was particularly bitter given his high-profile, late-night intervention on behalf of Terri Schiavo, the brain-damaged Florida woman caught in a legal battle over whether her feeding tube should be reinserted.

"The fact that Bush preempted his vacation to say something about Ms. Schiavo and here you have 10 native people gunned down and he can't take time to speak is very telling," said David Wilkins, interim chairman of the Department of American Indian Studies at the University of Minnesota and a member of the North Carolina-based Lumbee tribe.

"He has not been real visible in Indian country," said former senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.). "He's got a lot of irons in the fire, but this is important."

Even more alarming than Bush's silence, he said, is the president's proposal to cut $100 million from several Indian programs next year.

After hearing grumbling from tribal leaders, Jacqueline Johnson, executive director of the National Congress of American Indians, called the White House on Thursday to inquire about Bush's silence. "I wanted to make sure the White House is paying attention to this issue," she said. "I wasn't sure."

Asked Thursday about Bush's silence, spokeswoman Dana Perino said that he plans to dedicate part of his Saturday radio address to the Red Lake tragedy and that he is following the case closely through the FBI and the Justice Department.

In the hours after the massacre at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999, President Bill Clinton publicly expressed his condolences and followed up a few days later with a radio address in which he proposed new gun control measures and school safety projects.

At the Red Lake Urban Indian Office here, volunteer Marilyn Westbrook said she was disappointed but not surprised.

"I don't feel he cares about the American Indian people," said Westbrook, as she collected donations of gas cards and money to enable fellow Red Lake members to make the 260-mile journey to the reservation. "Why hasn't he made any statements about what happened with this shooting?"

Staff writers Dana Hedgpeth in Red Lake and Peter Baker in Waco, Tex., and research editor Lucy Shackelford in Washington contributed to this report.

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2005, 09:26 AM
The Terri Schiavo "issue" is of far more political importance to whitebread America. How sad is that?

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 09:36 AM
The Terri Schiavo "issue" is of far more political importance to whitebread America. How sad is that?

edit: <this emoticon removed: the internet is serious business>

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2005, 09:45 AM
originally posted by CbusRed
If anything, I will keep posting on P-Threads in hopes that it will either help the mods realize that P-Threads are worthess and do not belong here, or that it will discourage folks from even starting P-threads.

Do you have anything to add to the conversation, CbusRed? Or are you just trying to get this political thread shut down?

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Do you have anything to add to the conversation, CbusRed? Or are you just trying to get this political thread shut down?

just expressing emotion. this all has left me speechless.

RedFanAlways1966
03-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Gee whiz. Is it a part of his job description to make mention of everything? There are people murdered everyday in this country. Should the president mention everyone of the victims? Or do the people up there deserve more attention than than "many more than 9" who are murdered everyday?

"I hope that he would say something," said Victoria Graves, a cultural educator at Red Lake Elementary School on the reservation. "It's important that there's acknowledgment of the tragedy. It's important he sees the tribes are out here. We need help."

Unreal. The tribes are there... no kidding. I am sure the president is well aware of this. Because he doesn't say anything about senseless murders done by one human means he doesn't know that there are tribes there? And this is the type that we have educating our kids?

How about some blame on the family that let this kid become beyond a rotten apple? I know about the Dad who killed himself and the mother who is in bad shape b/c of an auto accident. But did this cultural educator notice a troubled young man who fashioned his hair into devil horns? A troubled young man who walked around in a black trenchcoat and wore eye makeup? She has the nerve to complain about our president while this obviously troubled young man WALKED BY HER everyday? Typical. They need help? Like what kind of help and how does this relate to a troubled kid committing murder? Perhaps a dozen armed gov't agnents frisking all people who enter this school? Than guess what Ms. cultural educator who be complaing about...?!?!

Personally I don't think the president should be involved in either this or the Schaivo case. Economies, wars, etc, etc. But it sickens me to hear some educational-type ripping our president in the aftermath of this tragedy. This country is madeup of many-many-mnay different types, races, religions, etc. The president would spend every minute of every day if he took the time to acknowledge all these people all the time. Of course I expect nothing less to be said about a Repub. leader from a Native American cultural educator. I highly doubt that this woman has ever had anything positive to say about our current president. She sees a terrible tragedy as more reason to badmouth the White House. That is the real shame here.

Now let us think about this... the president makes mention of this tragedy in an address from D.C.. Does that change anything? Does it really? I want Ms. cultural educator to tell me how that changes things. Does that make families take better care of problemed kids on the reservations? Does that make all kids on reservations who are thinking of commiting a heinous crime think twice about it? I am just curious. How does it change anything?

If this was a white community, I don't think he'd have any problem doing that."

A racist comment.

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 09:59 AM
GOLLY JEEPERS!
I bet that if we had only elected John Kerry, that this would all be better now. Because John Kerry is a man of words! John Kerry doesnt let people kill other poeople without saying something about it! In fact, I bet that if we had elected John Kerry, none of this would have even happened! because John Kerry would have been in Red Lake at the time of the rampage, and he would have fought Jeff Weiss and stole his gun. Then he would arrest him and have him put through drug rehab! And if none of that happened, at least John Kerry would have taken time to say something about it and give glory to Jeff Weiss and every kid who has ever thought about shooting up a school!

westofyou
03-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Native Americans don't trust the goverment, nothing new there.

Cbus has nothing to say of any worth but attempts to shut it down with bully tatics.

Nothing new there either.

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Native Americans don't trust the goverment, nothing new there.

Cbus has nothing to say of any worth but attempts to shut it down with bully tatics.

Nothing new there either.

How dare you discount my opinion like that.

ochre
03-29-2005, 10:25 AM
knock it off Cbus

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 10:27 AM
knock it off Cbus

knock what off? I didnt do anything.
Im just voicing my opinion on a thread.

KittyDuran
03-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Now let us think about this... the president makes mention of this tragedy in an address from D.C.. Does that change anything? No, but mentioning it and expressing sorrow - even in passing - is just good sense to me. I know I said it before but this administration reminds me of the Reds FO. How many times have we as fans railed on DanO, Allen, etc. for the little things that they could do that would mean a lot in terms of good PR. Wasn't the administration also slow on responding (not in aid, of course, - but in condolences) to the tsunami tragedy? Petty stuff, but it does go a long way. My parents always taught me to say thank you - even when I don't mean it... :)

TeamCasey
03-29-2005, 10:44 AM
knock what off? I didnt do anything.
Im just voicing my opinion on a thread.

No, you aren't. You're trolling. You're just causing trouble for the sake of causing it.

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 10:48 AM
No, you aren't. You're trolling. You're just causing trouble for the sake of causing it.

I find it offensive that I cant even post a true opinion on a thread without it being called "trolling", or "causing trouble"

Do I say things like that about your posts?

You are personally attacking me, and that is in violation of rule 5.

TeamCasey
03-29-2005, 10:53 AM
I find it offensive that I cant even post a true opinion on a thread without it being called "trolling", or "causing trouble"

Do I say things like that about your posts?

You are personally attacking me, and that is in violation of rule 5.

Not my intention, but I'll let the mods decide. Seriously, I tried to warn you yesterday, by PM, in a friendly way. You want to shoot yourself in the foot, keep it up.

ochre
03-29-2005, 10:55 AM
see, that's not personally attacking.

That's observing behavior and commenting on the bahavior.

Attacking would be directly commenting on you as a person. Seriously. Stop baiting people in these threads to strong arm your view that political threads should not be allowed.

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Not my intention, but I'll let the mods decide. Seriously, I tried to warn you yesterday, by PM, in a friendly way. You want to shoot yourself in the foot, keep it up.

You warned me not to troll, and I took your warning, so I have decided to add my opinion to these threads rather than troll.

I still dont understand how my opinion is still considered "trolling"

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 11:02 AM
see, that's not personally attacking.

That's observing behavior and commenting on the bahavior.

Attacking would be directly commenting on you as a person. Seriously. Stop baiting people in these threads to strong arm your view that political threads should not be allowed.

Is it personal attacks if a person feels they are being insulted?

Im not baiting anyone, I dont even have that view about political threads anymore, I thought about it alot last night, and came to the conclusion that political threads are a good thing for the board and that I would rather voice my opinion on the rather than try to get them shut down. So I do that and everyone jumps all over me.

The crying emoticon represents my agreeance with Johnny Footstool in that it is sad that the schiavo case is bigger news than this, and my second post is simply my opinion.

are some people's opinions not welcome here?

Unassisted
03-29-2005, 11:09 AM
You warned me not to troll, and I took your warning, so I have decided to add my opinion to these threads rather than troll.

I still dont understand how my opinion is still considered "trolling"When you use the same single emoticon method to express your opinion as you did when you were "trolling," it's difficult... no, impossible to discern a difference. Personally, I would welcome the change you describe.

westofyou
03-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Thread officially derailed.

Job accomplished. :dflynn:

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 11:13 AM
When you use the same single emoticon method to express your opinion as you did when you were "trolling," it's difficult... no, impossible to discern a difference. Personally, I would welcome the change you describe.

fine then, emoticon removed.

would you like to butcher any more of my posts?

how about I just give you guys my password so you can make me the CbusRed dream poster that you all want?

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Thread officially derailed.

Job accomplished. :dflynn:

way to go.

ochre
03-29-2005, 11:15 AM
From the announcement at the top of the public board:

If you do not think you can handle these discussions without breaking the rules, then I would strongly suggest you do not post in that forum, as the punishment system above will be strictly enforced. Bans will NOT be overturned, as has occassionally happened in the past.

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 11:16 AM
From the announcement at the top of the public board:

who, exactly, is breaking the rules? and what rules are they breaking?

ochre
03-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Why not just stay away from these threads CBus?

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 11:24 AM

Because these threads are interesting, And I have the right to post my opinion in them as well, no?

westofyou
03-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Why don't we just start a Cbus thread so we can talk about craig and his opinions there and we could talk about the subject of the post here?

That is unless we all want Cbus to get his way and have us all sit here and talk about anything but the post that started the thread.

RedsBaron
03-29-2005, 11:28 AM
I agree that a President should say something at a time of any significant national tragedy. Reagan did it. Clinton was very good at it, saying he could "feel" others' "pain". Whether or not Clinton really felt someone else's pain can be debated of course, but it seemed to make people feel better to hear him say it. It is just part of the ceremonial part of the job.

DunnersGrl44
03-29-2005, 11:28 AM
As much as I hate to take Cbus' side, it's not fair to tell him to stay away. There are a lot of people on these threads that can get away with saying things, that aren't appropriate, but because they say it in a more tactful way, they are allowed to get away with it. Just because Cbus comes right out and says it, he shouldn't be ganged up on.

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Why don't we just start a Cbus thread so we can talk about craig and his opinions there and we could talk about the subject of the post here?

That is unless we all want Cbus to get his way and have us all sit here and talk about anything but the post that started the thread.

Hey, I tried to stay on subject, someone else took off in another direction.

Unassisted
03-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Cbus, what in your opinion are good reasons for the President to say nothing about this school shooting?

Puffy
03-29-2005, 11:36 AM
I agree that a President should say something at a time of any significant national tragedy. Reagan did it. Clinton was very good at it, saying he could "feel" others' "pain". Whether or not Clinton really felt someone else's pain can be debated of course, but it seemed to make people feel better to hear him say it. It is just part of the ceremonial part of the job.

Excellent post RB :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2005, 11:45 AM
I agree with you, RB. The office of the Presidency is all about making statements and public gestures. President Bush had no problem announcing that he was cutting his vacation short to return to Washington and approve Congress' Terry Schiavo bill. He had no problem with having his picture taken with a bedridden soldier recovering from wounds suffered in Iraq. Remember how he went out of his way to portray himself as a President who genuinely cares about people?

It's a big mistake for him not to make any kind of gesture to the families of the school shooting victims.

Falls City Beer
03-29-2005, 11:47 AM
I agree with you, RB. The office of the Presidency is all about making statements and public gestures. President Bush had no problem announcing that he was cutting his vacation short to return to Washington and approve Congress' Terry Schiavo bill. It's a big mistake for him not to make any kind of gesture to the families of the school shooting victims.

Maybe Bush'll send 'em a card signed electronically.

Yeehaw! Big hugs from the W!

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Maybe Bush'll send 'em a card signed electronically.

Maybe he could just email one. Does Blue Mountain have a "Sorry your children were killed in a school shooting" e-card?

Unassisted
03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
I really do want to hear the upside of saying nothing in this instance. I can't think of a reason that is in any way positive.

DunnersGrl44
03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
See I think the comments above are a little tasteless.
But what do I know.

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2005, 12:27 PM
See I think the comments above are a little tasteless.
But what do I know.

You're right. My comments are intentionally tasteless.

I'm just making a point that President Bush's silence shows a lack of class in this case.

traderumor
03-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Bush should have personally said something here. That is a valid point and I agree. The reasoning that the silence has anything to do with Native Americans is a baseless accusation.

DunnersGrl44
03-29-2005, 12:35 PM
You're right. My comments are intentionally tasteless.

I'm just making a point that President Bush's silence shows a lack of class in this case.
My bad, I thought people making tasteless comments was how these threads get derailed. There is always a different to way to make comments, tactfully and tasteless. I think there should be more tact and less taste. From everyone. And I'm waiting on the mods and the critics to jump on FCB and Johnny... for their tasteless comments... or do we only do that to Cbus.

pedro
03-29-2005, 12:46 PM
My bad, I thought people making tasteless comments was how these threads get derailed. There is always a different to way to make comments, tactfully and tasteless. I think there should be more tact and less taste. From everyone. And I'm waiting on the mods and the critics to jump on FCB and Johnny... for their tasteless comments... or do we only do that to Cbus.

I'm not a big fan of George Bush or of constant threads picking at his every action but IMO there is a big difference in the level of aggression and malevolence in the posts made by Cbus and those made by FCB and Johnny. Cbus' posts were made to belittle other posters, as they often are (in P-Threads), and I wish he would stop it or go away.

DunnersGrl44
03-29-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm not a big fan of George Bush or of constant threads picking at his every action but IMO there is a big difference in the level of aggression and malevolence in the posts made by Cbus and those made by FCB and Johnny. Cbus' posts were made to belittle other posters, as they often are (in P-Threads), and I wish he would stop it or go away.
I'm not disagreeing with you.... I think that Cbus is far worst than anyone else. But what you are saying is, Johnny and FCB and others, are OK with what they say because even though they are inappropriate, they aren't as bad as Cbus. Thats really doesnt work. Everyone should be treated the same. If you are not adding to the thread... then don't post. and that goes for everyone.

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Cbus, what in your opinion are good reasons for the President to say nothing about this school shooting?

there arent any good reasons, This would all be better if John Kerry had been elected, didnt you read my second post?

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you.... I think that Cbus is far worst than anyone else. But what you are saying is, Johnny and FCB and others, are OK with what they say because even though they are inappropriate, they aren't as bad as Cbus. Thats really doesnt work. Everyone should be treated the same. If you are not adding to the thread... then don't post. and that goes for everyone.

Hah,

You're one of the last people I need help from, but thanks anyways!

Falls City Beer
03-29-2005, 01:14 PM

So YOU get to say who's "adding to the thread?"

Personally, I have no problem with Cbus' John Kerry screed. None at all. Cuz guess what? He's satirizing A PUBLIC FIGURE (just as I did), not hurling an insult at another poster. That is a world of difference that I honestly don't feel needs to be elaborated for the trillionth time.

If you can point to where I insulted another poster on this thread I'm all eyes and ears.

pedro
03-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Hah,

well at least you're admitting that you need help.

that's a start.

DunnersGrl44
03-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Hah,

I am not helping you. I would never help you. I am trying to make a point, and since you are the only person i know that can dig himself in the same hole over and over again. It's easy to point you out.

My rant has nothing to do with Cbus.
I am just trying to figure out why people are singling 1 person out. When there are several that the mods can point fingers at. That is all I am saying.

By the way Craig... Keep digging. Its funny :MandJ:

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 01:26 PM
well at least your admitting that you need help.

that's a start.

yeah, i need help, im being accused of being a troll for no reason, and I dont know what to do! someone call the internet police!!!!

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
I am not helping you. I would never help you. I am trying to make a point, and since you are the only person i know that can dig himself in the same hole over and over again. It's easy to point you out.

I am just trying to figure out why people are singling 1 person out. When there are several that the mods can point fingers at. That is all I am saying.

By the way Craig... Keep digging. Its funny :MandJ:

All this coming from a person who, a little over a week ago, personally attacked a poster, his children, and his parenting, over a political thread.

westofyou
03-29-2005, 01:49 PM

Yet now this thread does..... and sadly enough it has nothing to do with the subject it was originally about.

Redsfaithful
03-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Yet now this thread does..... and sadly enough it has nothing to do with the subject it was originally about.

The mods could deal with that if they wanted to, but derailing threads is okay if they're political I guess.

RedFanAlways1966
03-29-2005, 02:10 PM
I ain't sayin' nuthin' (sorry, learnt dat double-negative thang from my cultural educator) about what seems to be the "topic at hand" here! :MandJ:

However, it seemed to push back the usual crowd ripping me on my post. Oh crap, I probably just woke the usual crowd to the fact that I posted something in this thread.

Got me feelin' all weird. Weird I say! Weird. Or maybe the usual crowd has done a mass ignore on me? Weird I say! Weird. Or maybe the usual crowd has found a new conservative whipping boy? Weird I say! Weird.

I'm so lonely... I could cry! :cry: :MandJ: :cry:

macro
03-29-2005, 02:11 PM
The mods could deal with that if they wanted to, but derailing threads is okay if they're political I guess.

Rest assured, this is being discussed. It takes time. We communicate the same way that everyone else does here, which means that conversations sometimes take a while to complete.

CbusRed
03-29-2005, 02:14 PM

If im not mistaken, you played a pretty good role in derailing this thread. I kept on topic as long as I could.

DunnersGrl44
03-29-2005, 05:58 PM
All this coming from a person who, a little over a week ago, personally attacked a poster, his children, and his parenting, over a political thread.
Your right I did. And I had every right to do so... because he attacked me also. And as I recall you started the whole thing by bringing me into it. So again we come back to you.

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Native Americans blame Bush for not speaking out after the school shooting.

The Schindlers blame Bush for not stepping in to reinsert Terry Schiavo's feeding tube.

Since everything is his fault now, I'm going to blame Bush because I didn't get the tax refund I wanted.

zombie-a-go-go
03-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Frankly, I think our President does have more important things to do than make a statement about this admittedly tragic event.

A thousand tragedies occur in this country every day. If the President has to make a statement about every one of them, when is he going to have time to actually run the country?

Actions speak louder than words.

DunnersGrl44
03-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Frankly, I think our President does have more important things to do than make a statement about this admittedly tragic event.

A thousand tragedies occur in this country every day. If the President has to make a statement about every one of them, when is he going to have time to actually run the country?

Actions speak louder than words.
All Hail Zombie.
That is the smartest thing I have read this entire thread.

Unassisted
03-30-2005, 11:44 AM

Actions speak louder than words.This one was big, though. "Security Moms" who vote want to be reassured that the Federal government is paying attention to school violence. Maybe they'll vote differently now?

Haven't seen any Federal actions resulting from this one. Have you?

zombie-a-go-go
03-30-2005, 11:48 AM
This one was big, though. "Security Moms" who vote want to be reassured that the Federal government is paying attention to school violence. Maybe they'll vote differently now?

Haven't seen any Federal actions resulting from this one. Have you?

Sure haven't.

But I'm commenting on what I believe the responsibility of the office of President is, not what this President in particular has or has not done.

Puffy
03-30-2005, 11:51 AM
All Hail Zombie.
That is the smartest thing I have read this entire thread.

If you live long enough you end up seeing and hearing everything. Zombie saying something smart? Wow. Maybe Joe Randa will turn out OK for the Reds.......

zombie-a-go-go
03-30-2005, 11:53 AM
If you live long enough you end up seeing and hearing everything. Zombie saying something smart? Wow. Maybe Joe Randa will turn out OK for the Reds.......

Don't hasten the next sign of the Apocalypse there, killer. :laugh:

Puffy
03-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't hasten the next sign of the Apocalypse there, killer. :laugh:

Juan Castro starting and producing.......

:mooner:

Johnny Footstool
03-30-2005, 12:02 PM

He took plenty of time off from running the country to pose with wounded soldiers, take a jog with them, hug the daughter of a WTC bombing victim, etc. when it suited his needs. We can dig up dozens of old threads on those topics.

Funny how back then, people didn't mind him taking a moment to show compassion, even if it meant taking time away from "running the country." They applauded him for being a genuine, caring person. But now when he fails to show compassion, he gets the "he's too busy running the country" excuse.

What happened to that genuine, caring person? Oh, now I remember -- he won the election, so he doesn't have to play that role anymore. And apparently people don't really mind.

BTW - he was on vacation when the shootings occurred, wasn't he? He made it a point to announce that he was *cutting his vacation short* to approve the Terri Schiavo bill. So he really wasn't busy "running the country."

KittyDuran
03-30-2005, 12:20 PM
He took plenty of time off from running the country to pose with wounded soldiers, take a jog with them, hug the daughter of a WTC bombing victim, etc. when it suited his needs. We can dig up dozens of old threads on those topics.

Funny how back then, people didn't mind him taking a moment to show compassion, even if it meant taking time away from "running the country." They applauded him for being a genuine, caring person. But now when he fails to show compassion, he gets the "he's too busy running the country" excuse.

What happened to that genuine, caring person? Oh, now I remember -- he won the election, so he doesn't have to play that role anymore. And apparently people don't really mind.

BTW - he was on vacation when the shootings occurred, wasn't he? He made it a point to announce that he was *cutting his vacation short* to approve the Terri Schiavo bill. So he really wasn't busy "running the country."

I didn't vote for the man - but on a personal level he comes across as being a caring person. IMHO, I think there is more to this story than what the media is talking about. Just thinking out loud here - but how does the Red Lake Reservation "play" in MN? Politically, socially, etc. Better yet, how do the elected officials (all parties) react to them? Have there been troubles with the reservation?

Johnny Footstool
03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Just thinking out loud here - but how does the Red Lake Reservation "play" in MN? Politically, socially, etc. Better yet, how do the elected officials (all parties) react to them? Have there been troubles with the reservation?

IMO, those things shouldn't matter in this case.

In reality, they probably *do* matter.

westofyou
03-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Just thinking out loud here - but how does the Red Lake Reservation "play" in MN? Politically, socially, etc. Better yet, how do the elected officials (all parties) react to them? Have there been troubles with the reservation?

Reservations are always a political and poverty induced hotpot, intertribal and with the whites. Colonization is a dirty job.

KittyDuran
03-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Reservations are always a political and poverty induced hotpot, intertribal and with the whites. Colonization is a dirty job. Generally speaking, yes - but I was referring to Red Lake specifically.

westofyou
03-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Generally speaking, yes - but I was referring to Red Lake specifically.

Kitty they all problems from what I hear, Red Lake is one of the poorest counties in the US. That speaks volumns.

traderumor
03-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Reservations are always a political and poverty induced hotpot, intertribal and with the whites. Colonization is a dirty job.

This is one reason why I do not join the "Christian" nation crowd even though I am a Christian. Between Native Americans and slavery, neither issue is indicitive of a people that were trying to establish a Christian nation on sound Biblical principles as is often asserted.

KittyDuran
03-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Kitty they all problems from what I hear, Red Lake is one of the poorest counties in the US. That speaks volumns.
I'm too lazy to do a Google search to see if there was any issues and who's the representative...

westofyou
03-30-2005, 01:08 PM
This is one reason why I do not join the "Christian" nation crowd even though I am a Christian. Between Native Americans and slavery, neither issue is indicitive of a people that were trying to establish a Christian nation on sound Biblical principles as is often asserted.

IMO the west was expanded by people who often were saddled within the strict social structure that had carried over from europe and existed in the east. The need to better oneself and rise to a status that made life less hard was the main goal. The fact that they stumbled upon aborigines only gave them the excuse to act upon a whole other social structure with extreme malice.

Crazy stuff when you consider that it's fresh memories, the day before Custer was slaughtered the Reds lost to the Boston team 8-7

RedFanAlways1966
03-30-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm too lazy to do a Google search to see if there was any issues and who's the representative...

I did some Googling, Kitty. I noticed that in the last state elections in Minnesota, 92% of the Red Lake voters voted for a DFL party member. This 92% vote helped upset the 3-term Republican incumbant.

The Minnesota DFL party is the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (DFL). Their web-site has links to Democrat causes (no Repub. links) and are considered to be Democrats b/c the state has four major official parties: Republican, Constitution, DFL and Independence. Others like the Green Party are still valid there, but are considered minor parties as they are in almost all states.

In the 2004 presidential election, the votes for Minnesota as a state went:
* Kerry - Edwards, 51% (1,445,014 votes)
* Bush - Cheney, 48% (1,346,695 votes)

However, RED Lake County voted this way in 2004 for the presidency:
* Kerry - Edwards, 44% (963 votes)
* Bush - Chaney, 54% (1,164 votes)

The whole county of RED Lake only had 2,175 votes for president in 2004. As of July 2003, the entire county had a total of only 4,319 resdients. I would assume that a good percentage of eligible voters cast ballots in 2004.

RED Lake County voted like this for the one 2004 U.S. House seat in their district (Dem was the incumbant):
* U.S. House Seat >> 79% Dem - 21% Repub.

The MN house seat vote makes you believe that they are heavily DEM. But they went for the Bush - Cheney in 2004. Perhaps they did not like the names on the DEM ticket? I am not sure. I was shocked that the county went for the Repubs in the 2004 presidential election.

traderumor
03-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Crazy stuff when you consider that it's fresh memories, the day before Custer was slaughtered the Reds lost to the Boston team 8-7

And on RedsZone, more folks were concerned about the one run loss while Custer's last stand was relegated to a thread with three posts on the non-baseball chatter side of the board ;)