PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater Help

RedsFan75
03-29-2005, 02:07 PM
My electric water heater is about 8 months old, the T&P valve was leaking so I replaced it, about 3 months ago... NOW I have a pressure problem. When you turn on the Hot water faucet you will quickly hear a "clunk". The Shower (kitchen, bathroom) hot faucets start fine then taper off to no pressure at all.. Cold water pressure is fine.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to replace my T&P Valve again?

RBA
03-29-2005, 02:14 PM
8 months old? Was it out of warranty already?

Maybe there was or still a problem somewhere else.

Did you do all this before you changed out the T&P?

(1) the thermostat is bad and overheating the water. (2) The water has trurned to steam and opened up the valve as a safety measure. or (3) The spring inside the T&P valve has weakened and pressure is forcing the water out. Try this. Squirt some WD40 on the stem and work the lever up and down. If it somehow opened up and is binding that should allow it to seat properly. Check the tube for any leakage. If it still leaks and the water seems overly hot shut the electricity off to the heater and call in outside help. If it still leaks and the temperture's normal then replace the T&P valve.

RedsFan75
03-29-2005, 02:20 PM
The warranty help line is the one that told me to change out the T&P valve, I've got the old one still,(What can I say I'm a pack-rat) I can test it.

Would that be why the tank is losing pressure now?

I did test the thermostats, they seemed fine.

Thanks.

RBA
03-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Sorry, I may not be much help. I got those answers from googling. I'm going to do more googling and see if I can help with a solution.

RedsFan75
03-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks, I'm googling a bit too... although I didn't see those answers....