PDA

View Full Version : Robert Redford to make movie about Jackie Robinson

savafan
03-30-2005, 09:12 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=794&e=19&u=/eo/16227

By Josh Grossberg

The Natural is moving from the diamond to the dugout.

Robert Redford, who played a fictional Babe Ruth-esque hero named Roy Hobbes in 1984's classic baseball film, The Natural, is ready to take on another sports legend.

The actor-director will essay the role of Brooklyn Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey in a biopic of Jackie Robinson, the first black man to play in the Major League.

According to Daily Variety, Baldwin Entertainment, the producers of Ray, will team up with Redford's Wildwood Enterprises to produce the picture.

Redford has been developing the project on the Civil Rights pioneer with the consent of Robinson's widow and Rickey's son.

"It's a simple story, and one that most don't know about—how the color barrier was broken and changed the face of baseball and ultimately the country," Redford told Variety.

The still-untitled film will focus on Robinson's trials and tribulations after signing with the Dodgers in 1947, as he battled bigotry from both players and fans to stake out equal rights for African Americans, while laying the groundwork for the end of segregation.

The story will trace the athlete's youth in Southern California through his days starting for the Dodgers under Rickey, where he prevailed despite receiving death threats from fans, encountering tension from his teammates and facing the threat of a strike by the rival St. Louis Cardinals.

(Robinson, by the way, ended up playing himself in The Jackie Robinson Story, a 1950s film about his wild entry into the majors.)

Kirk Ellis, who nabbed an Emmy for writing the TV movie Anne Frank: The Whole Story, and who also wrote The Beach Boys: An American Family, will pen the screenplay.

No word yet who'll portray Robinson. However Baldwin Entertainment Chief Howard Baldwin is definitely eyeing Ray star, Jamie Foxx, a no-brainer considering Foxx won a Best Actor Academy Award portraying Ray Charles, in last year's biographical film about the music icon.

Baldwin--who's a veteran producer of sports flicks including Mystery Alaska and the upcoming The Game of Their Lives--told Variety the movie will reportedly end when Robinson takes the field for the Dodgers.

Aside from getting the Robinson movie up and running, Redford meanwhile recently revealed his intention to reunite with his most famous onscreen partner, Paul Newman, for one last go-round before Newman's promised retirement after two more pictures.

The two, who invented the "buddy picture" with 1969's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and 1973's The Sting, are looking to team up for a film adaptation of Bill Bryson's A Walk In The Woods.

"That might be something for Paul Newman and me, if we're not too old," said Redford. "That's if Paul can hang on long enough, and we can get him on the Appalachian Trail before he gets in a wheelchair."

The thespian's next project however will be starring opposite Jennifer Lopez in the drama An Unfinished Life for director Lassė Hallstrom.

Unassisted
03-30-2005, 09:51 AM
With Redford attached, this is probably going to be "Best Picture" material.

Johnny Footstool
03-30-2005, 10:22 AM
No word yet who'll portray Robinson. However Baldwin Entertainment Chief Howard Baldwin is definitely eyeing Ray star, Jamie Foxx, a no-brainer considering Foxx won a Best Actor Academy Award portraying Ray Charles, in last year's biographical film about the music icon.

Is there any actor more annoying than Jamie Foxx? I sure don't think so. Plus he doesn't look a thing like Jackie Robinson.

Surely they could do better. Even Wayne Brady would be a better choice.

MWM
03-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Will Smith maybe?

Is Denzel too old?

savafan
03-30-2005, 12:12 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0932112/

RFS62
03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Didn't Blair Underwood play Robinson in an HBO flick?

You need a handsome, articulate athlete for this one. I just don't see Jamie Foxx in this role.

Steve4192
03-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Even Wayne Brady would be a better choice.
Is Jackie Robinson gonna have to choke a beotch?

The guy who would be perfect for the role, if he were 10-15 years younger, is Don Cheadle. Among the guys in the right age bracket, I think Mekhi Phifer & Omar Epps are probably the best bets among 'known' actors. They are both dark-skinned and built like 1940s ballplayers. The last thing I want to see is a light-skinned guy like Will Smith or a guy with a football build like Denzel take the role.

Honestly, I'd rather see the role go to a talented 'no name' actor instead of casting a guy who is famous for other characters. What better way to launch a career than playing Jackie Robinson.

Steve4192
03-30-2005, 12:19 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0932112/
Mykelti will be pushing 50 by the time this film is released. Besides, he's already done this movie, playing Josh Gibson in 'Soul of the Game'.

Steve4192
03-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Didn't Blair Underwood play Robinson in an HBO flick?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115631/

Great movie, but Underwood was definitely the weak link.

Delroy Lindo flat-out nailed an aging Satchel Paige. Edward Herrmann did a serviceable job as Branch Rickey. Mykelti Williamson was solid as Josh Gibson, but I couldn't get Benjamin Buford Blue outta my head whenever I looked at him.

savafan
03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Mykelti will be pushing 50 by the time this film is released. Besides, he's already done this movie, playing Josh Gibson in 'Soul of the Game'.

True, I just didn't like the thought of Foxx playing Robinson. Omar Epps wouldn't be a bad choice.

Steve4192
03-30-2005, 12:31 PM
The only problem I have with Epps is that he played Willie Mays Hayes in Major League II.

However, I have forgiven him since he was a young actor just looking for a job and the real screwup was the producer not getting Wesley Snipes to reprise the role. Of course, considering that Major League II is the worst sequel since Caddyshack II, I can understand why Wesley wanted no part of it.

RedsBaron
03-30-2005, 12:59 PM
The last thing I want to see is a light-skinned guy like Will Smith or a guy with a football build like Denzel take the role.

I'm not saying that Denzel Washington is the guy to cast, but I don't think a "football build" would be a detriment-Jackie was a great all-around athlete.

Steve4192
03-30-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't think a "football build" would be a detriment-Jackie was a great all-around athlete.
No doubt, Jackie was a fabulous athlete, but the guys who played ball in the 1940's were not big guys. Jackie was built pretty stout, but that was by 1940s standards. He was nowhere near as tall or thick as the modern 'football' build, unless we are talking about cornerbacks.

dman
03-31-2005, 12:01 AM
I would be inclined to give Denzel Washington the nod.

Sweetstop
03-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Denzel is too old.

dman
03-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Denzel is too old.
My bad. We'll let him be in a movie about Satchel Paige. :evil:

Chip R
03-31-2005, 12:54 PM
What about Cuba Gooding, Jr.?

dman
03-31-2005, 12:59 PM
We could throw some comedy into and have Damon Wayans as Jackie.

RBA
03-31-2005, 01:03 PM
http://rs6.loc.gov/pnp/ppmsc/00100/00133r.jpg

http://a.abc.com/primetime/wifeandkids/images/kids_biopic_gore.jpg

Johnny Footstool
03-31-2005, 01:22 PM
We could throw some comedy into and have Damon Wayans as Jackie.

Kenan Thompson is funnier. Maybe he could wear the Fat Albert suit or do the Bill Cosby voice?

RBA
03-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Kenan Thompson is funnier. Maybe he could wear the Fat Albert suit or do the Bill Cosby voice?

How about Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock or Adam Sandler?

Or Ozzie Smith Jr. from Amerian Idol?