PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time

macro
04-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Don't forget to roll your clocks forward by one hour tonight! This is my favorite weekend of the year, every year. The Final Four and Championship game, Opening Day, and an extra hour of daylight at the end of the day!

:party:

The only part I dislike is having to sit up until 2:00am waiting to change the clocks. I get very tired.

What about you? Do you like Daylight Savings Time or not?

Ravenlord
04-02-2005, 12:13 PM
why not just advance the clocks when you go to bed at 10 or 11 or whatever?

traderumor
04-02-2005, 12:15 PM
RL, you just saved me from being really sleepy in church tomorrow ;)

Ravenlord
04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
my good deed for the day. :)

paintmered
04-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Boo the one hour less of sleep tonight :(

SunDeck
04-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Not here! Hoosiers can't handle change so we just screw everybody else up and stick with you for 1/2 the year.

Ravenlord
04-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Boo the one hour less of sleep tonight :(
i'll be at work....work for 7 hours get paid for 8. :beerme:

paintmered
04-02-2005, 12:27 PM
i'll be at work....work for 7 hours get paid for 8. :beerme:

That's nice :)

macro
04-02-2005, 01:23 PM
why not just advance the clocks when you go to bed at 10 or 11 or whatever?

Well, then my clocks would be wrong until 2:00am. ;)

pedro
04-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Not here! Hoosiers can't handle change so we just screw everybody else up and stick with you for 1/2 the year.

Yes, but then TV guide is useless to you Hoosiers. Useless I say!

macro
04-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Something I've wondered: What if someone tells you to meet them somewhere at 2:30am?

reds1869
04-02-2005, 02:49 PM
:laugh:

I'd never really thougth about it, but that's really funny. I guess you would have to meet them in Indiana!

KronoRed
04-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Something I've wondered: What if someone tells you to meet them somewhere at 2:30am?
That's a low way to dump someone ;)

GAC
04-02-2005, 05:00 PM

Then you have the option of either being there, or not. ;)

pedro
04-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Do you have IST (Indiana Standard Time)

IIRC, Arizona and Hawaii don't do it either.

I understand why Hawaii doesn't, they are so close to the equator they don't need to save any daylight. It's almost the same all year anyway.

traderumor
04-02-2005, 05:10 PM
The Koran says that the US is guilty of changing time that Allah has created and will be stomped under the feet of Father Time :evil:

RosieRed
04-02-2005, 05:33 PM
I wonder if there will be "rioting" in Athens tonight? I was at one of those daylight savings fiascos. It was pretty fun. ;)

From here (http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/k.html):

Patrons of bars that stay open past 2 a.m. lose one hour of drinking time on the day when daylight saving time springs forward one hour. This has led to annual problems in numerous locations, and sometimes even to riots. For example, at a "time disturbance" in Athens, Ohio, site of Ohio University, over one thousand students and other late night partiers chanted "Freedom" as they threw liquor bottles at the police attempting to control the riot.

pedro
04-02-2005, 05:51 PM
I was always under the impression that time stood still in Athens. ;)

RosieRed
04-02-2005, 05:53 PM
This is also from that web site:

Indiana, one of only U.S. three states that does not use daylight saving time, has long been a continuing hotbed of DST controversy, up to the present day. The state’s two western corners, which fall in the Central Time Zone, observe DST, while the remainder of the state, in the Eastern Time Zone, follows year-round standard time. An additional complication is that five southeastern counties near Cincinnati and Louisville unofficially observe DST to keep in sync with those cities. Because of the longstanding feuds over DST, Indiana politicians often treat the subject gingerly. In 1996, gubernatorial candidate Rex Early firmly declared, “Some of my friends are for putting all of Indiana on daylight saving time. Some are against it. And I always try to support my friends.”

SunDeck
04-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Yes, but then TV guide is useless to you Hoosiers. Useless I say!
I know. And in a state where there's nuthin' to do, that hurts.

The state motto should be:
Indiana, bring a good book.

SunDeck
04-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Do you have IST (Indiana Standard Time)

IIRC, Arizona and Hawaii don't do it either.

I understand why Hawaii doesn't, they are so close to the equator they don't need to save any daylight. It's almost the same all year anyway.
What do you folks do with all that daylight you save?

pedro
04-02-2005, 06:34 PM

:laugh:

pedro
04-02-2005, 06:37 PM
What do you folks do with all that daylight you save?

I keeps it withs me's precious.

KronoRed
04-02-2005, 07:49 PM
I use the hour to post ;)

RFS62
04-02-2005, 07:58 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I lived in Arizona for several years, and those geezers want it to get dark as soon as possible, to avoid the heat.

I hated it. I want all the daylight I can get.

SandyD
04-02-2005, 08:15 PM
RFS62, spent many an evening at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson watching the sun set over the palm trees in right field. And within 5 minutes it seemed, the temp dropped to a comfortable level.

I loved the desert nights, especially in the summer.

RFS62
04-02-2005, 08:20 PM
RFS62, spent many an evening at Hi Corbett Field in Tucson watching the sun set over the palm trees in right field. And within 5 minutes it seemed, the temp dropped to a comfortable level.

I loved the desert nights, especially in the summer.

Me too, Sandy. I loved Tucson, and those desert nights.

SandyD
04-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeah, me too. I really miss the desert sometimes.

Around here, the breeze dies after dark, and the air gets heavy and thick ... the mosquitoes come out ... you have to wait a while to get that relief.

RFS62
04-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Yeah, me too. I really miss the desert sometimes.

Around here, the breeze dies after dark, and the air gets heavy and thick ... the mosquitoes come out ... you have to wait a while to get that relief.

I've spent a good amount of time in Kenner and NOLA too, Sandy. Talk about total opposites, Tucson and New Orleans.

Louisiana has mosquitos the size of birds. I've seen them carry off small children.

creek14
04-02-2005, 09:02 PM
I work 7 to 7 in a buidling with no windows. In the winter I never see the sun. I'll take all the extra daylight I can get.

Unassisted
04-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Personally, I've been waking up half an hour before I need to for the last month, thanks to the daylight. I'm more than ready for this time change.

My dad thinks we'd be better off if we just stayed on Daylight Savings Time all year long.

westofyou
04-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Personally, I've been waking up half an hour before I need to for the last month, thanks to the daylight. I'm more than ready for this time change.

My dad thinks we'd be better off if we just stayed on Daylight Savings Time all year long.

Me too...

Dad wasn't a railroad man eh?

cincinnati chili
04-03-2005, 12:34 AM
I seriously think we should get rid of daylight savings time. These folks do too:

http://www.standardtime.com/

More radical, but even better, would be to eliminate the Eastern and Pacific time zones and put the entire continental U.S. on two time zones instead of four. If the entire country of China can operate on one time zone, we can do it on two. It would be much better for commerce if there was a smaller time differential between L.A. and NYC.

macro
04-03-2005, 01:09 AM

Me, too. The sun wakes me up and it's still way too early to get up.

But then it would be, what, 8:30am before the sun comes up? Having it get dark before 6:00pm (as it is with Standard Time) in the winter stinks, but if we stayed on DST, we'd just shift the problem to morning.

KronoRed
04-03-2005, 06:06 AM
I forgot to change the clocks...thankfully my computer let me know what time it really is :D

Unassisted
04-03-2005, 09:36 AM
I seriously think we should get rid of daylight savings time. These folks do too:

More radical, but even better, would be to eliminate the Eastern and Pacific time zones and put the entire continental U.S. on two time zones instead of four. If the entire country of China can operate on one time zone, we can do it on two. It would be much better for commerce if there was a smaller time differential between L.A. and NYC.TV networks already operate this way. Eastern and Central Time Zones watch the same prime time feed. Stations in the Mountain Time Zone have to record that feed and play it back. Pacific has a separate feed that is 3 hours later than the Eastern feed.

creek14
04-03-2005, 09:48 AM

More radical, but even better, would be to eliminate the Eastern and Pacific time zones and put the entire continental U.S. on two time zones instead of four. If the entire country of China can operate on one time zone, we can do it on two. It would be much better for commerce if there was a smaller time differential between L.A. and NYC.
Obviously written by people who never tried to get a toddler to bed when the sun is still bright outside.

I don't know how those people in Alaska do it.

:)

Chip R
04-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I think I lost it
Let me know if you come across it
Let me know if I let it fall
Along a back road somewhere
Money can't replace it
No memory can erase it
And I know I'm never gonna find
Another one to compare

- Lucinda Williams

TC81190
04-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Just wish Indiana/Ohio would stay at the same time.

Most. Annoying. Thing. EVER

macro
04-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Just wish Indiana/Ohio would stay at the same time.

Most. Annoying. Thing. EVER

But then people in western Indiana would then want Illinois to be on the same time, and if they switched, then people in western Illinois want...

They have to draw the line somewhere, I guess... :)

RBA
04-04-2005, 12:20 PM
El Paso is just about he only county in Texas that is on Mountain Time.

It kind of annoying, but Texas is a big state.

Blimpie
04-04-2005, 01:42 PM
I was always under the impression that time stood still in Athens. ;) :laugh: