PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever make the mistake of driving drunk?

04-06-2005, 02:45 AM
The Freel DUI thread inspired this thread. Please no sermons- driving drunk is stupid and needs to be punished. The % of people that have drove drunk was mentioned in that thread. Someone posted that 44% of people either have, or still do- not sure- I didn't read it that closely. Let's take our own little survey- the only 2 rules are to be honest and to not criticize soneone else's honesty. Lord knows I did plenty in my youth I don't want my kids repeating.

ochre
04-06-2005, 02:47 AM
I think the 44% was refering to how many people drink period. Not the number that drink and drive. It was in response to someone claiming 90% of "us" drink and drive.

pedro
04-06-2005, 02:48 AM
If I said I never had I'd be lying. If I know I'm going to be drinking I always try to not have my car with me. Makes the decision not to drive a lot easier. That's been my strategy since I was in High School.

04-06-2005, 02:49 AM
Ok, but I bet the % of us that have drove impaired is close to 90%, especially those of us cruising the bars before MADD arrived on the scene and drunk driving wasn't regarded as such a serious offense as it should have been.

04-06-2005, 03:10 AM
If I said I never had I'd be lying. If I know I'm going to be drinking I always try to not have my car with me. Makes the decision not to drive a lot easier. That's been my strategy since I was in High School.

I wish that had been my strategy that early. Took me till about age 34 to realize that. That was 10 years ago- haven't drove drunk since and haven't even been drunk is 7 or 8 years. I am thankful I never had any incidents, but I was deserving of punishments countless times for years. Extremely irresponsible. I used to drink to the point of memory blackouts and still drive quite freqently. Now I seldom have more than 2 or 3 drinks and limit myself to 1 beer if I have to drive, and that is rare. I have little ones now I want to see grow up, and I don't want to deprive anyone else of seeing theirs grow up.

Raisor
04-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Never for me, not once.

RedsBaron
04-06-2005, 07:25 AM
I've done plenty of things that I wish I hadn't done and would not want my kids to do, but driving while under the influence is not one of 'em.

Hap
04-06-2005, 08:12 AM
I've delivered pizzas during a snowstorm while tripping on acid.

GoReds
04-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Okay, let's try to clarify some things here. What qualifies as "under the influence"?

If you go to a poker game and have 2 beers in four hours?

If you and a couple co-workers go to a bar for a couple of drinks and an appetizer?

With a date and have a glass of wine for dinner?

Or are we only talking "legally" intoxicated, meaning .08 or higher on the breathalyzer?

reds1869
04-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Never have and never will. I will admit to driving on the same day as I drank one beer when I was younger, but only after allowing a long time (several hours) for the alcohol to be processed. Your liver can only handle about one drink per hour, regardless of how high you think your "tolerance" is. We are all built roughly the same internally.

zombie-a-go-go
04-06-2005, 09:09 AM
In 2001 I and some friends were driving while intoxicated. We ended up flipping the car over on the freeway, having the vehicle hit by ~50mph oncoming traffic while we were upside-down, and although I was the only one to sustain any really serious injurues (I had my arm out the window), we all came very very close to dying that night.

So yeah - I've either driven or been riding with someone who was not just "under the influence," but piss-drunk, and God knows that I will never do it again.

Cabs and public transportation are my friend.

GAC
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
The title of this thread is kinda misleading (and maybe untruthful in most case)..."Did you ever make the mistake of driving drunk?"

I got one almost 30 years ago (when the penalties we're as harsh as they are now), and it was the only one. But it wasn't a mistake. I, and most people, know what they are doing, and consciously think they can get away with it and not get caught. Especially when they've done it so many times in the past and never got stopped.

I got stopped last year about 15 minutes from my home, coming back from a Redszone gathering. But the deputy let me go after I passed the field sobriety tests. The reason he pulled me over was because he saw me cross the yellow line a couple times (I was on an old back country road). But my weaving was mainly due to extreme exhaustion and me nodding off (3 hr drive home after the game). But if he had pressed the issue and took me in for a breathalyzer test, I'm sure I was probably somewhere near the state limit.

I breathed a sigh of relief and made the vow to not take chances again (I knew better, it wasn't no mistake). So from now on when I come down to a ballgame, I'll make arrangements to stay in Cincy overnight.

So instead of using the word "mistake", maybe "poor judgment" should be substituted? ;)

04-06-2005, 09:52 AM
I see your point, bit I already edited the title. It was originally "ever drive drunk", but I thought it looked like it was created by someone that would brag about drunk driving, and I didn't like it, so I changed it to something a little negative sounding.

KronoRed
04-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Never

Ravenlord
04-06-2005, 10:29 AM
never.

cincinnati chili
04-07-2005, 02:46 AM
I've delivered pizzas during a snowstorm while tripping on acid.

That was you????

Hey, I want my money back. I was not amused by the Pepperoni and Chocolate Sprinkles.

GAC
04-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Okay, let's try to clarify some things here. What qualifies as "under the influence"?

If you go to a poker game and have 2 beers in four hours?

If you and a couple co-workers go to a bar for a couple of drinks and an appetizer?

With a date and have a glass of wine for dinner?

Or are we only talking "legally" intoxicated, meaning .08 or higher on the breathalyzer?

The legal limit in Ohio is.08. But even if you are under that limit, and they can't site you for DUI, there are some other driving under the influence related charges they can hit you up with where the penalties are just as stiff/bad (depending on the judge/locale).

And the fact is that MADD wants to get the limit even lower, and IMO, that is being a bit unreasonable. But they have the political pull, and no judge/prosecutig attorney wants to be portrayed by MADD as "soft" on drinking and driving and tougher legislation.

Witht the exception of the Redszone gatherings in the summer, I don't go to bars. Alot of guys, after work, like to stop and have a couple beers. I won't do it because anymore, even after an hur or so there and 2-3 beers, you can get nailed. And even the law enforcement people I know say that DUI's and other "under the influence" related charges are an easy source of income for the local governments when you see all the fees, charges, and fines you have to pay.

Even after you have been to court and paid all court costs, lawyer fees, and fines, you still have to pay the state a $425 license re-instatement fee. Now someone explain that one to me?

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-07-2005, 09:20 PM
I was stopped once late at night after leaving a bar. I was given a field sobriety test and passed. The cop let me go home. If he would have said I failed and I was under arrest I would have accepted it because I thought I was drunk. Needless to say that was a huge eye-opener and I would never put myself, or others, in that situation again.

Spring~Fields
04-07-2005, 09:56 PM
That was you????

Hey, I want my money back. I was not amused by the Pepperoni and Chocolate Sprinkles.

:laugh: :laugh:

Roy Tucker
04-08-2005, 10:31 AM
I'm like 919191. Entirely too many times I drove home way past the limit. Too many to count. I was the ultimate party animal for a long time. I have tempted fate so many times it's not even the least bit funny. For whatever kharmic reasons, I was never pulled over. I should have been.

But I stopped all that a long time ago. Probably about when I met my wife. So that's going on 22-23 years ago. These days, if I have a second beer, I hand the car keys to my wife. I figure I have exponentially burned up my 9 lives. Plus I want to set a good example for my kids.

Crash Davis
04-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Just wondering:

For those who have chosen "Never", I wonder what the difference is in actually knowing that your driving is impaired after X amount of beers. Do you know it's wrong to drink and drive because you've seen the effects and the results from other people? That has to be different than knowing it's wrong because you've driven under the influence and didn't like what it did to your ability to drive well and make good judgments.

For instance, I know I'm fine to drive after having 5 or 6 beers. I've done it many times...probably hundreds, and still do. But I'm not fine to drive after drinking more than that. I try not to do that anymore, and I haven't in awhile.

I guess I'm a bit like GAC. I've never wrecked or gotten in trouble for driving after I've been drinking a few beers. I'm not a danger to anybody. I feel like I'm fine to drive, and I don't feel bad at all about doing it. If I have a lot of beers, or any liquor, I find a different way to get home.