PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft 2005 Approaching

WVRed
04-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Who do the Bengals take?

My pick is Luis Castillo(DT-Northwestern). He has been rising up the draft boards lately and would replace Tony Williams. Another possibility is Thomas Davis(S-Georgia).

Of course, if the Sharper signing falls through, then we could be looking at a LB.

Thoughts?

GoReds
04-11-2005, 04:11 PM
What is the deal with the Sharper signing? Are the Bengals really going to be able to pull that one off?

StillFunkyB
04-11-2005, 04:13 PM
I think this is the weakest draft I have ever seen. Mike Williams is the only player I like. I would like Clarett, but he is a naughty word.

WVRed
04-11-2005, 04:19 PM
What is the deal with the Sharper signing? Are the Bengals really going to be able to pull that one off?

Its between the Bengals and Seahawks right now. Seahawks are offering more money, but factor in Sharper playing under Lewis in Baltimore and that Sharper flies his family in from Florida to see him play, its favoring the Bengals right now.

Of course, you could say the same thing about Warren Sapp.

I agree in terms of this being the weakest draft(especially compared to last year). Although outside of Mike Williams, I do think Derrick Johnson is the best player available.

GoReds
04-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Clarett can be had for a buck-fifty and a diet coke after the draft.

StillFunkyB
04-11-2005, 04:46 PM
I'd rather have the buck-fifty and the diet coke.

Traitor.

WVRed
04-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Mark it down, I think Clarett will be a Bengal. Sixth or seventh round pick.

KronoRed
04-11-2005, 04:56 PM
That would not be a wise pick, OSU fans hate him and a lot of Bengal fans are also OSU fans

StillFunkyB
04-11-2005, 05:02 PM
That would not be a wise pick, OSU fans hate him and a lot of Bengal fans are also OSU fans

Reason I called him a traitor.

Why would the Bengals draft him?

Reds Fanatic
04-11-2005, 06:03 PM

According to John Clayton there are 4 teams still trying to sign Sharper.

Apr. 11 - Jamie Sharper's visit to Seattle went well, and contract talks are expected to heat up today, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. The Bengals, Cowboys and possibly the Ravens are also pushing for the former Texans linebacker, who was released in a salary-cap move. Sharper is hoping to get $3.5 million a year in a deal. His consistent ability to make over 100 tackles a season makes him one of the best options on the market.

StillFunkyB
04-11-2005, 06:12 PM
So with Sharper, would the Bengals employ the now popular 3-4 defense?

WVRed
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
So with Sharper, would the Bengals employ the now popular 3-4 defense?

I believe from what I've read that Nate Webster's health is in serious question, and that is why they are looking at Sharper.

Seems like Landon Johnson, Jamie Sharper, and Brian Simmons is what we are looking at.

gonelong
04-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Thomas Davis(S-Georgia).

woot! yes please!

GL

StillFunkyB
04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
I believe from what I've read that Nate Webster's health is in serious question, and that is why they are looking at Sharper.

Seems like Landon Johnson, Jamie Sharper, and Brian Simmons is what we are looking at.

That sucks for Nate. He is/was a good player.

Fil3232
04-11-2005, 06:40 PM
I agree with gonelong, I would salivate over Thomas Davis in the #17 slot. If not him, I think Marvin turns some heads and drafts offense at #17 (WR-Williamson or TE-Miller).

Also, this draft is certainly weak in marquee franshise players, but I think it is long in depth. There will be many players taken in 2nd-4th rounds that will be almost non-distinguisable from some players taken in the 1st round.

WVRed
04-11-2005, 08:55 PM
I agree with gonelong, I would salivate over Thomas Davis in the #17 slot. If not him, I think Marvin turns some heads and drafts offense at #17 (WR-Williamson or TE-Miller).

Also, this draft is certainly weak in marquee franshise players, but I think it is long in depth. There will be many players taken in 2nd-4th rounds that will be almost non-distinguisable from some players taken in the 1st round.

Williamson will not last past the Vikings.

Miller I could see, but defense is a pressing need.

I have a feeling that Marvin will take a DE, probably Erasmus James, Marcus Spears, or even Travis Johnson or Antaaj Hawthorne at DT. Im not sold on any of them.

Raisor
04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Now I'm not a New York fan, but the best thing about the draft is the reaction of Jetfan when they make their pick.

Doesn't matter who the player is, Jetfan will hate it.

J E T S JETS JETS JETS!

GoReds
04-11-2005, 10:35 PM
There's a "rumor" that the Eagles might trade Terrell Owens on draft day in order to move up in the draft and take another WR (Edwards/Williams). The Eagles would actually save cap room as a result of the trade and the amount of cap room they'll free up.

Again, it's just a rumor, but consider that owens is asking for a new contract just one year after signing with the Eagles.

Stewie
04-11-2005, 10:53 PM
There's a "rumor" that the Eagles might trade Terrell Owens on draft day in order to move up in the draft and take another WR (Edwards/Williams). The Eagles would actually save cap room as a result of the trade and the amount of cap room they'll free up.

Again, it's just a rumor, but consider that owens is asking for a new contract just one year after signing with the Eagles.

The only team that was interested in getting Owens last year, Baltimore, already addressed their WR needs, so there won't be any market for Owens, especially enough so for a team to give up a 1st to get him, and especially given the fact that Owens is coming off of a leg injury. That rumor (I believe I saw it on profootballtalk.com, too) is pretty much just them throwing ideas on the wall to see what sticks. The Eagles could very well trade up, but a much more likely scenario is them trading their 1st and their second 2nd rounder in order to move up and get someone like Khalif Barnes.

MWM
04-11-2005, 10:55 PM
They need someone on defensive line. If they could ever get a consistent pass rush and do a better job of stopping the run, the Bengals could play with anyone in the NFL, period.

wheels
04-11-2005, 11:43 PM
I like the that Cody kid from USC.

He's an animal.

StillFunkyB
04-11-2005, 11:56 PM
What about Pollack? I haven't heard much about him, but he was pretty good @ Georgia.

Also, how come that QB from Georgia isn't talked about. He was good no?

Big Donkey
04-12-2005, 03:52 AM
What about Pollack? I haven't heard much about him, but he was pretty good @ Georgia.

Also, how come that QB from Georgia isn't talked about. He was good no?

Pollack is pretty solid, I think there's talk of him moving to OLB in the NFL. David Greene I assume is the QB you're talking about from UGa. I remember him being pretty good as well, a big lefty. I'd say he'd get drafted, mid-to-late rounds.

I am not so sure the Bengals go for the DT in the first round though, if they're as high on their younger guys as it seems, Matthias Askew and Langston Moore. A lot of people say that Askew would be a top ten pick in this year's draft if he had stayed for his senior season at Michigan State. Plus we still have John Thornton and we signed Bryan Robinson via free agency to start at DT while we figure out if Askew and/or Moore are the long term answers.

I know this past season was the "year of the tight end", but I don't think we need a tight end with our first pick, so I am not for drafting Heath Miller although he looks like a good player. I'd still say strong safety is the greatest position of need right now, so does that mean Thomas Davis of Georgia is the best pick? Oklahoma has a good SS, but I think getting him at 17 is a reach since he probably will be available in the second round. Word's not out on him as much as it is Davis.

Center is probably the next position of need, assuming we resign Richie Braham, the Bengals still need a C for the future. David Baas of Michigan, Ben Wilkerson of LSU, the guys from Auburn and North Carolina have already visited, so there should be some good options in the second or third round.

Tight end I would address, but I think you could get a solid guy that'd be an upgrade still in the third round. Maybe Kevin Everett of Miami FL, would he last that long? I also think a solid WR can be had in the fourth. Rounds five, six and seven I'd use for depth at the positions most at need. That's how my draft for the Bengals would shape out.

CTA513
04-12-2005, 08:02 PM

Seahawks sign Sharper to a 5 year $17.5 million deal.

"Sharper, who will get a $1.5 million signing bonus, visited the Seahawks last Thursday and Friday but left without a deal and was in serious discussions with the Bengals. When he was with the Ravens as defensive coordinator, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis coached Sharper. In the end, Sharper decided the money and opportunity to play in Seattle were the best. " - ESPN.com

WVRed
04-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, given Castillo has just admitted to steroid use, I dont think he is going to be worth a first rounder now.

Antaaj Hawthorne, another prospect, was caught as well.

Jaycint
04-14-2005, 04:16 PM
I would love to see Thomas Davis still on the board when we pick. IMO that's the guy Marvin is hoping will be there.

If not him I would love to see Merriman slip down to us, a lot of mock drafts have him going to the Cowboys at pick 11 though.

Marvin said he has a short list of about 4 guys that we are really interested in, my guess for those 4 guys, in this order:

1. Thomas Davis SS Georgia
2. Shawne Merriman OLB/DE Maryland
3. DeMarcus Ware DE/OLB Troy
4. Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

Anybody else want to guess at who those four are?

GoReds
04-14-2005, 04:31 PM
The Panthers are looking at both Williamson and Merriman. There's a strong chance that neither of them will be on the board when they pick at 14.

Big Donkey
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I would love to see Thomas Davis still on the board when we pick. IMO that's the guy Marvin is hoping will be there.

If not him I would love to see Merriman slip down to us, a lot of mock drafts have him going to the Cowboys at pick 11 though.

Marvin said he has a short list of about 4 guys that we are really interested in, my guess for those 4 guys, in this order:

1. Thomas Davis SS Georgia
2. Shawne Merriman OLB/DE Maryland
3. DeMarcus Ware DE/OLB Troy
4. Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

Anybody else want to guess at who those four are?

I'd agree with Davis, Williamson (or at least the best available WR), and Merriman OR Ware for the third slot, but I would say the fourth is a center. It's a position of definite need in Cincinnati, and Coach Lewis has hinted that he would consider seriously drafting one of them (probably Chris Spencer from Ole Miss) in the first round. I think it's more likely to try for David Baas of Michigan, Ben Wilkerson of LSU or Jason Brown of Auburn in the second round, but I would think a center is one of the four he's referring to, and most likely Spencer, since they've been raving about the visit he had in Cincinnati earlier this week.