PDA

View Full Version : Goldstar or Skyline?

redsrule2500
04-13-2005, 12:29 AM
I personally love Goldstar - Skyline's taste just isn't as good.

Goldstar > Skyline. Too bad the Reds picked the wrong official chili

KronoRed
04-13-2005, 12:31 AM
Goldstar, I don't like Skyline for 2 reasons, it's more runny then goldstar, and I don't like cinnamon :D

Yachtzee
04-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Skyline...which I can actually get in NE Ohio. Just had some for lunch today!

cincinnati chili
04-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Skyline hands down.

MWM
04-13-2005, 01:28 AM
Camp Washington Chili.

Cedric
04-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Skyline on Ludlow. Nothing beats it.

DoogMinAmo
04-13-2005, 01:48 AM
My family owns and runs a Skyline, so I am a bit partial. For what its worth, people love what they are used to, and to most that is Skyline. As to the Reds dropping Goldstar for Skyline, it was the other way around. As far as I know, Goldstar refused to renew the contract. Its all for the better, on opening day of the Reds chili switch, chili sales more than doubled any day Goldstar had ever had.

Roy Tucker
04-13-2005, 08:55 AM
We go to Goldstar more, but mostly because their locations seem to be more convenient. I like Skylines too. Skylines chili sauce is little more cinnamony but that's about it really.

Going to a Skyline restaurant is more of the Cincinnati chili experience whereas Goldstar of more fast food-ish.

Skylines table hot sauce is lot hotter that Goldstar's so I have to remember that. More than once, I've doused my 3-way with really hot sauce (I love hot sauce) and paid for it :eek:

I've got my kids trained now to eat the oyster crackers before the chili comes with a little dot of hot sauce on top of each.

StillFunkyB
04-13-2005, 09:11 AM
I like them both.

None of them are here, so it's frozen Skyline from Wal-Mart if I do crave it.

The coney bites are pretty good.

RedsFan75
04-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Blue Ash Chili

Then Goldstar

KittyDuran
04-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Skyline - 'nuff said! :thumbup:

GoReds
04-13-2005, 09:57 AM
What's the 3rd choice?

Chip R
04-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Camp Washington Chili.
Word.

StillFunkyB
04-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Why they don't have Cincinnati Chili everywhere is beyond me.
I had never heard of Skyline until I moved to Columbus. First time I had it I was hooked. Then we moved to Cincinnati, and I had Gold Star.

There should be Skyline, and/or Gold Star nationwide! (and Marion, IN) :D

Roy Tucker
04-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Blue Ash Chili
Double deckers rule.

I'm lucky, I'm just a few doors down from them.

Unassisted
04-13-2005, 10:09 AM
more insight here... http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3849

reds1869
04-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Goldstar hands down, though I like Skyline too. But Dixie Chili is awesome if you crave something a little different!

westofyou
04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Why they don't have Cincinnati Chili everywhere is beyond me.

Some folks tried to start one here in PDX... it crashed faster than Amelia Earhart.

Me? I prefered GS.... lived above one in Mt Washington, it was all over then.

reds1869
04-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Portland is an odd place for such an establishment. You would really want to start in a place that had more Cincinnati transplants. Portland's a beautiful city, though!

westofyou
04-13-2005, 10:48 AM
You would really want to start in a place that had more Cincinnati transplants.

No kidding... that said I know 4 Cincinnatians who live in PDX... 3 of them gave the chili a thumbs down.

SunDeck
04-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Camp Washington Chili.
Good call, MWM. :beerme:

About six times the fat of Skyline, the most crucial ingredient. The new digs aren't as fun as the old place, but that chili will never change.

Generally, it's not fair to just compare Goldstar and Skyline. Lot's of great small places in town; Pleasant Ridge, Delhi Chili and any restaurant run by a greek family, of which there are about a zillion.

When I was a kid my dad's favorite was Empress. I don't think they are around anymore.

westofyou
04-13-2005, 10:51 AM
When I was a kid my dad's favorite was Empress. I don't think they are around anymore. They were good.... I also liked Moonlite Chili, used to be near Gold Circle Mall off Reading Road?

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Good call, MWM. :beerme:

About six times the fat of Skyline, the most crucial ingredient. The new digs aren't as fun as the old place, but that chili will never change.

Generally, it's not fair to just compare Goldstar and Skyline. Lot's of great small places in town; Pleasant Ridge, Delhi Chili and any restaurant run by a greek family, of which there are about a zillion.

When I was a kid my dad's favorite was Empress. I don't think they are around anymore.

A new Empress just opened downtown, at Seventh and Vine.

Since I'm not that big of a chili fan I like the places that have character: Pleasant Ridge Chili, Camp Washington Chili, Blue Ash Chili, the Oakley Skyline on Madison, the old Price Hill Skyline, the Kenwood Skyline is OK.

For Cincinnati food, I'll take LaRosa's.

reds1869
04-13-2005, 11:00 AM
For Cincinnati food, I'll take LaRosa's.

Oh, the magical words. Best...pizza...ever.

johngalt
04-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Goldstar is AWFUL.

Skyline forever....Goldstar never

westofyou
04-13-2005, 11:42 AM

I can't stand that stuff... my in-laws always make us get it and I can't stand it.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I can't stand that stuff... my in-laws always make us get it and I can't stand it.

Blasphemy!
:D

MWM
04-13-2005, 11:53 AM
When I was down in Florida a few weeks ago, I went to Clearwater Beach and they had a Skyline there. It was a real franshise and it was exactly the same as the original. The lady said they do really good business there, but it sits right on the beach on a second floor with an outdoor deck bar.

westofyou
04-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Blasphemy!
:D

Nah.... good taste. :mooner:

Best Pizza ever?

http://www.zacharys.com/

Zachary's Pizza - San Francisco Bay Area's best pizza since 1983. Award winning stuffed, deep dish, Chicago style pizza and thin crust pizza. Restaurant locations in Berkeley and Oakland, California. Over 70 Best Pizza awards!

MWM
04-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I don't like LaRosa's pizza at all. I never understood why people thought it was so good. I worked there for a while even. I hate how sloppy they are with it. I don't like tp eat pizza where the the sauce is running all off the side of the crust. I've been to pizza joints throughout the country and LaRosas shouldn't even be in the conversation, IMO.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-13-2005, 12:00 PM
I worked there for a while even.

Maybe that's why you don't like it. I used to work at BW3 in college and you couldn't pay me to eat the wings there after some of the stuff I saw.

pedro
04-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Goldstar.

TeamCasey
04-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Maybe that's why you don't like it. I used to work at BW3 in college and you couldn't pay me to eat the wings there after some of the stuff I saw.

:( BW3s are my favorite outside of NY.

Yachtzee
04-13-2005, 10:07 PM
:( BW3s are my favorite outside of NY.

I'll second the BW3 wings. My wife is from Western NY, so I've had my share of wings from the source, and BW3 is right up there with them. I've also developed a taste for Chiavetta's and Chicken Spiedies(sp).

Of course I recently came into a recipe for crock pot wings that is awesome.

OnBaseMachine
04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Skyline wins in a close one.

CincyRedsFan30
04-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Gold Star

(Although I think Skyline is better for chili spaghetti and Gold Star for coneys)

Plus, Gold Star wins all of the awards consistently.

TC81190
04-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Skyline > Empress ~ Goldstar

There are still Empresses around. 2 that I know of for sure. Goldstar is friggin' nasty. I'm surprised that the health team hasn't shut most of the ones arounf here down yet. Skyline has a good spicy flavor to it, too.

westofyou
04-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Skyline > Empress ~ Goldstar

There are still Empresses around. 2 that I know of for sure. Goldstar is friggin' nasty. I'm surprised that the health team hasn't shut most of the ones arounf here down yet. Skyline has a good spicy flavor to it, too.

Skyline (and any of that chili in the tri stae area) is not what I would call spicy by any standard.

Just one mans opinion

cincinnati chili
04-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Agreed. I pretty much grew up there.

CincyRedsFan30
04-13-2005, 11:37 PM
I don't think Skyline is "spicy".

I think it's "flavorful". I think that is a more apropos description of it.

cincinnati chili
04-13-2005, 11:39 PM
I don't like LaRosa's pizza at all. I never understood why people thought it was so good. I worked there for a while even. I hate how sloppy they are with it. I don't like tp eat pizza where the the sauce is running all off the side of the crust. I've been to pizza joints throughout the country and LaRosas shouldn't even be in the conversation, IMO.

I love their pizza, mainly because of the sauce. It's my favorite thing about pizza, in general. Most places, particularly in the East are way more concerned with crust and cheese. The sauce is an afterthought.

I do agree with you that the care that individual LaRosa's take vary widely. The joint on Vine St. in Corryville has laughably poor service, and I can't imagine that the quality control on the sauce/cheese ratio is any good.

westofyou
04-13-2005, 11:43 PM
I love their pizza, mainly because of the sauce. It's my favorite thing about pizza, in general. Most places, particularly in the East are way more concerned with crust and cheese. The sauce is an afterthought.

Did you just channel my wife?

MWM
04-13-2005, 11:54 PM
I was there this past August with some old high school friends of mine who didn't live in the area. One of my buddies actualy bought two big tubs of Larosa's sauce from the restaurant.

CincyRedsFan30
04-13-2005, 11:58 PM
No offense to anyone who lives there, but the "East Coast/NY Style" pizza that I've had when I've visited that part of the country has been beyond disgusting. There is no sauce and the crust is flappy, tasteless and sickening. Not even the toppings are good. (Blah)

Anyway, LaRosa's is definitely not my favorite pizza(I don't hate it), although interestingly enough I think it is very good at KI(the amusement park for those who don't know it). It is better there than anywhere else.

My favorite pizza places are Papa John's and Donatos.

M2
04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Skyline.

And sauce and cheeese are great, but if you get the crust wrong on a pizza you're disqualified in the good pizza argument (e.g. the preformed, frozen crusts that they use in Greek places can't be redeemed).

pedro
04-14-2005, 02:58 PM
My favorite pizza places are Papa John's and Donatos.

papa johns is disgusting.

donatos is yummy.

CincyRedsFan30
04-14-2005, 05:13 PM
They are certainly different types of pizza, but I like them both.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Since we're on pizza, Marion's Pizza in Dayton is good and they even cut it into those small squares. Flying Pizza is good (there is a location on Fields Ertel). Marco's Pizza in the Toledo/BG area is also really good.

Donatos? Eck. But to each their own. I'd rather eat the Donatos box than their actual pizza.

SunDeck
04-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I still love it.
Worked at one in highschool. You're not really from Cincinnati if you didn't.
My dad and Buddy are friends. They're a great family.

redsrule2500
04-16-2005, 02:14 AM

Same with me. It actually makes me sick just thinking about it. :( Yet, I am drug there at family outings because everyone loves it so much!

Cant Touch This
04-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Funny how we all have such different, and extreme, tastes. For instance, I love the uniqueness of LaRosa's - I have to get it every time I visit Cincy. I also really like Donato's - great flavor and I like thin crusts.

Regarding the original chili debate: No true Cincinnatian would select the cheap imitation over Skyline. Although Empress was the genesis, Skyline defines Cincinnati. That said, I still go to J.K's Chili in Madeira quite often.

Lansing opened a Skyline last year so I go there a lot. I also make a Skyline party dip for every neighborhood gathering and it's without exception the first dish to get devoured. I'm starting to feel good and hungry...

KYRedsFan
04-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Dixie

Heath
06-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Major Poll Question..... :roll:

Skyline?

Gold Star?

Other? Empress, Dixie

or Yuck! :thumbdown :D

TeamBoone
06-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Gold Star. It's thicker.

Matt700wlw
06-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Skyline

RFS62
06-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Wendys. I love their chili. There's just something about it that I can't put my finger on.

Heath
06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Wendys. I love their chili. There's just something about it that I can't put my finger on.

LSD?? :eek: :laugh: :luvu: :shocked:

Super_Barry11
06-07-2005, 11:12 PM

:laugh: Ewww!!! :laugh:

kyred14
06-08-2005, 12:07 AM

:laugh: golden :beerme:

why do you big guys take all us little guys' opportunity to get rep points ;)

KronoRed
06-08-2005, 04:24 AM
Goldstar

If I wanted soup (SKYLINE) I'd get some ;)

smallbattle
06-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Skyline. Any others are just imitators.

DoogMinAmo
06-08-2005, 05:32 AM
Goldstar

If I wanted soup (SKYLINE) I'd get some ;)

You should visit my parents' Skyline when you have a chance. Although I am not always there to guarantee quality, people come from all over Cincy to eat there, so we must be doing something right. If the location (Newport) is inconvenient, I have heard many people say that the Clifton location is the best Skyline.

TeamCasey
06-08-2005, 07:02 AM
I can open a can of Alpo and dump it on spaghetti in my own home. :evil:

KronoRed
06-08-2005, 07:35 AM
I can open a can of Alpo and dump it on spaghetti in my own home. :evil:

Why is that not a poll option? :D

cincinnati chili
06-08-2005, 08:13 AM
I have heard many people say that the Clifton location is the best Skyline.

The staff and management of the Clifton skyline were the unofficial godparents to my brother and me. We were there constantly. Take away the Skyline on Ludlow, and the neighborhood just wouldn't smell right.

paintmered
06-08-2005, 08:26 AM
If the location (Newport) is inconvenient, I have heard many people say that the Clifton location is the best Skyline.

Especially around 2:00 in the morning.

KronoRed
06-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Especially around 2:00 in the morning.
You could not pay me to go to Clifton at 2am ;)

SunDeck
06-08-2005, 08:41 AM
You could not pay me to go to Clifton at 2am ;)

Let's not confuse Clifton with Clifton Heights.

GAC
06-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I've never had Goldstar, but I'm not that hot on Skyline. I prefer to make my own chili (Texas style)

zombie-a-go-go
06-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Camp Washington.

max venable
03-15-2006, 08:18 PM
I live in NE Ohio, near Canton, and until this year, Malone College (in Canton) had an honest-to-goodness Skyline stand in their cafeteria--Yes, Skyline, the real thing. I'd go there once a week, pay $5 and it was ALL YOU CAN EAT Skyline, yes, only $5. I'd go up, ask for a 3-way and two cheese coneys...go eat them, come back and ask for...um...a 3-way and two cheese coneys :thumbup:

They took it out at the beginning of this school year (replaced it with a deli :rolleyes: ). Bummer. But it was great while it lasted.

Matt700wlw
03-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Skyline!

...now I'm hungry

Ravenlord
03-15-2006, 08:26 PM
a Pittsburgh journalist put it best in his last setence in an article about the Reds 2003 firesale:

"and to top it off, they think they have good chili."

:)

Yachtzee
03-15-2006, 08:51 PM
I live in NE Ohio, near Canton, and until this year, Malone College (in Canton) had an honest-to-goodness Skyline stand in their cafeteria--Yes, Skyline, the real thing. I'd go there once a week, pay $5 and it was ALL YOU CAN EAT Skyline, yes, only $5. I'd go up, ask for a 3-way and two cheese coneys...go eat them, come back and ask for...um...a 3-way and two cheese coneys :thumbup:

They took it out at the beginning of this school year (replaced it with a deli :rolleyes: ). Bummer. But it was great while it lasted.

If you're willing to trek north to Akron, there's a Skyline just off Rt. 8 at the Steels Corners exit in Stow.

Reds Nd2
03-15-2006, 09:44 PM

http://www.sinden.org/photos/050322.jpg

Reds Nd2
03-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I like Skyline. Alas there isn't one any where close to where I live, so I have a friend send me some packaged chili mix from Kroger each season. It isn't the same but it's better than nothing on opening day.

paintmered
03-15-2006, 09:59 PM
http://www.sinden.org/photos/050322.jpg

Not only is the taste aquired, but the smell inside the Clifton Skyline is as well.

I have aquired both.

Heath
03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Not only is the taste aquired, but the smell inside the Clifton Skyline is as well.

I have aquired both.

Is that bar still located across the street next to the supermarket? I think it was called the "Firehouse Bar" - it was right there on Ludlow....

guttle11
03-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Skyline>LaRosa's>Root Canals>Goldstar

paintmered
03-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Is that bar still located across the street next to the supermarket? I think it was called the "Firehouse Bar" - it was right there on Ludlow....

Yep - Arlin's is still there. A Cincy fire station sits right next to it.

I've never been there though. So I don't know how good of a place it is.

fearofpopvol1
08-26-2012, 10:10 PM
I've have Gold Star a few times recently and even though it's grown on me some more, I still think Skyline is better. I have not had Gold Star at an actual store though, just in the can. Not sure if there is a significant difference or not though.

LoganBuck
08-26-2012, 10:52 PM
We went to a game about two weeks ago, and on the way down we stopped at Camp Washington Chilli. It was pretty good, the noodles were overcooked though. Which is a huge pet peeve of mine anytime I get any kind of pasta.

reds1869
09-02-2012, 06:25 PM
The school I work at it right across from an Empress Chili. I go there at least once a week now. Much, much better than the big two.

wolfboy
09-05-2012, 12:31 PM
My stomach can't handle Skyline anymore. If I feel like a trek, my favorites are Camp and Price Hill Chili. Pleasant Ridge Chili isn't bad either (although I should throw out the caveat that I typically eat PRC late at night after several adult beverages).

fearofpopvol1
05-14-2013, 01:09 PM
I was fortunate enough to get a few cans recently in the mail and have enjoyed some skyline in NYC. Had it while watching the Reds game and it was the best!

westofyou
10-17-2013, 05:27 PM
http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

For the mercifully unacquainted, "Cincinnati chili," the worst regional foodstuff in America or anywhere else, is a horrifying diarrhea sludge (most commonly encountered in the guise of the "Skyline" brand) that Ohioans slop across plain spaghetti noodles and hot dogs as a way to make the rest of us feel grateful that our own ****-eating is (mostly) figurative. The only thing "chili" about it is the shiver that goes down your spine when you watch Ohio sports fans shoveling it into their maws on television and are forced to reckon with the cold reality that, for as desperately as you might cling to faltering notions of community and universality, ultimately your fellow human beings are as foreign and unknowable to you as the surface of Pluto, and you are alone and always have been and will die alone, a world unto yourself unmarked and unmapped and totally, hopelessly isolated.

CoachBombay
10-17-2013, 05:35 PM
http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

Idk who that man is...but hes dead to me:thumbdown:

But then again. He was talking about skyline and not goldstar or camp washington:laugh:

10-17-2013, 05:41 PM

What he describes, describes all chili. If you don't like Skyline, you don't like chili. But that paragraph was kinda funny.

*BaseClogger*
10-17-2013, 05:49 PM
I love Burneko's writing, but he and the Deadspin staff repeatedly rip on Cincy chili--this is nothing new...

westofyou
10-17-2013, 05:52 PM
What he describes, describes all chili. If you don't like Skyline, you don't like chili. But that paragraph was kinda funny.

I liked this one:

Mmmmmmm, pie. Oh man. Nobody tell any Oregonians how high their state food is ranked, though. They can't fit any more self-congratulation into their busy schedules.

Dom Heffner
10-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Skyline's three ways, Gold Star's coney's.

Wonderful Monds
10-17-2013, 06:06 PM
I love Burneko's writing, but he and the Deadspin staff repeatedly rip on Cincy chili--this is nothing new...

Yep, I love Deadspin, but you'd think Cincinnati chili was like lutefisk based on the way they talk about it.

*BaseClogger*
10-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Yep, I love Deadspin, but you'd think Cincinnati chili was like lutefisk based on the way they talk about it.

All the counter-arguments are spelled out in the comments section:

1)You don't have to get it at a chain. You can make it at home or get it at one of the awesome neighborhood joints. He isn't holding Uno's against Chicago deep dish.

2)Why is the entire state of Ohio represented by a Cincinnati specialty when other states (such as the Philly cheesesteak) had to be more representative of the entire state? There are lots of great candidates for Ohio. Ohio probably has a better ice cream tradition than any other state.

3)Inaccurately characterizing it as chili shouldn't affect your perception of the food itself. Call it whatever you want--it's delicious.

*BaseClogger*
10-17-2013, 06:25 PM
For anybody else familiar with Michigan's food tradition I also would say the pasty is an awful choice for the state. It is mostly a UP thing. Half the state's population is in Detroit, and 99% are in the southern half of the state. Since it can't be credited for its apple or cherry product, I nominate either the paczki (a traditional Polish dessert with 10,000 calories that is consumed by almost everybody once per year on Fat Tuesday) or the coney dog. The very first coney dog was served in Jackson, MI and you can't take five steps in metro Detroit without running into a coney island restaurant.

http://www.chicagobites.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/plum_paczki.jpg

http://losangeles.grubstreet.com/20110620_coneydog_560x375.jpg

Not that any of this matters, this is troll journalism meant as clickbait for their website and to get people up in arms making arguments like I'm doing haha...

*BaseClogger*
10-17-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm happy to see the argument made for Chicago pizza over New York style pizza, but I'll take it one step further and say give me Detroit style pie:

http://www.michigan.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/buddys-pizza-detroit.jpg

It's a shame most people's first taste of it will be that abomination Little Caesar's is advertising... :(

westofyou
10-17-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm happy to see the argument made for Chicago pizza over New York style pizza, but I'll take it one step further and say give me Detroit style pie:

It's a shame most people's first taste of it will be that abomination Little Caesar's is advertising... :(

My childhood zaa

westofyou
10-17-2013, 06:38 PM
http://losangeles.grubstreet.com/20110620_coneydog_560x375.jpg

My first coney!!

*BaseClogger*
10-17-2013, 06:54 PM
My childhood zaa

Thick crust, sauce on top, and lots of Parmesan cheese snuck in the gap between the crust and the pan to give it that crispy black exterior!

Caveat Emperor
10-21-2013, 04:30 PM

There were one or two contributors on Deadspin who were just anti-Cincinnati in general -- there were some pieces that went out of their way to call the city racist, homophobic and also threw some insults in about Cincinnati chili as well. It's toned down in the last few years, though.

Also, ripping in Cincinnati Chili isn't exactly a new thing. There are plenty of self-important idiots who get offended that Skyline gets to call itself "Chili" when it isn't loaded with peppers, spices, 5 kinds of beans, and doesn't remove 3 layers of skin from your mouth when you take the first bite.

It's not unlike the snobs who smugly chuckle whenever some plebeian at the bar has the audacity to order a PBR or a light beer.

*BaseClogger*
10-21-2013, 04:47 PM
There were one or two contributors on Deadspin who were just anti-Cincinnati in general -- there were some pieces that went out of their way to call the city racist, homophobic and also threw some insults in about Cincinnati chili as well. It's toned down in the last few years, though.

Also, ripping in Cincinnati Chili isn't exactly a new thing. There are plenty of self-important idiots who get offended that Skyline gets to call itself "Chili" when it isn't loaded with peppers, spices, 5 kinds of beans, and doesn't remove 3 layers of skin from your mouth when you take the first bite.

It's not unlike the snobs who smugly chuckle whenever some plebeian at the bar has the audacity to order a PBR or a light beer.

Drew Magary always labels Cincinnati as racist, but admits the opinion is entirely based on a summer camp experience he had as a child when all the kids from Cincinnati were super racist.

Doesn't help that the founder, Will Leitch, is a Cardinals fan... :rolleyes:

Yachtzee
10-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Of course, if you want to add some fire, add some of the Skyline hot sauce. Beans, onions, heat, everything comes separately. And I'd take a Cincinnati-style cheese coney over Detroit-style any day. Real shredded cheese beats mystery cheese sauce forever and always. Never been a fan of cheese sauce. When I went to Philadelphia, I was all fired up about getting a real cheesesteak from one of the original joints. Then I discovered that they prefer to put Cheez Whiz on it and was immediately crestfallen.

Ravenlord
10-21-2013, 11:19 PM

I love chili. i eat it almost weekly. I hate Skyline, Gold Star, Empress, and what ever the terrible place was my former housemates had me eat at on Hopple was called. greek chili is terrible and it's nearly impossible to find any other kind in Cincinnati unless you make it yourself (thus the insane amount of peppers and beans i grow).

Ravenlord
10-21-2013, 11:20 PM

i LOVE lutefisk and its a large part of the reason my family doesn't want me traveling to Wisconsin or Minnesota.

*BaseClogger*
10-22-2013, 02:35 AM
Of course, if you want to add some fire, add some of the Skyline hot sauce. Beans, onions, heat, everything comes separately. And I'd take a Cincinnati-style cheese coney over Detroit-style any day. Real shredded cheese beats mystery cheese sauce forever and always. Never been a fan of cheese sauce. When I went to Philadelphia, I was all fired up about getting a real cheesesteak from one of the original joints. Then I discovered that they prefer to put Cheez Whiz on it and was immediately crestfallen.

Traditionally, Detroit coneys do not have cheese (see picture posted previously). The better places have shredded cheese if requested, but it will be 10% the amount on a Cincinnati coney.

I prefer Cincinnati's coney by a slim margin, but you're in heaven either way. It's difficult to deny that the quality of each component of the Detroit coney is superior to its Cincinnati counterpart, I'm just a sucker for the cheese like the rest of you.

I will however say that Detroit chili is much better on French fries. The chili actually adheres to the fries rather than creating a runny, soggy potato mess...

westofyou
10-22-2013, 10:54 AM
I grew up on both and find the cheese to be annoying and a non essential item

Wonderful Monds
10-22-2013, 02:00 PM
This might be the most successful clickbait ever.
http://deadspin.com/chili-slander-cincinnati-media-reacts-to-our-state-f-1450096678

*BaseClogger*
10-22-2013, 02:07 PM
This might be the most successful clickbait ever.
http://deadspin.com/chili-slander-cincinnati-media-reacts-to-our-state-f-1450096678

*face plants into a bowl of Cincinnati chili*

CoachBombay
10-22-2013, 02:35 PM
I love chili. i eat it almost weekly. I hate Skyline, Gold Star, Empress, and what ever the terrible place was my former housemates had me eat at on Hopple was called. greek chili is terrible and it's nearly impossible to find any other kind in Cincinnati unless you make it yourself (thus the insane amount of peppers and beans i grow).

youre weird:D

Sea Ray
10-22-2013, 05:35 PM

Little Caesar's isn't a good example to use of pizza in Mich. Much better choices would be Pizza Papalis or Jets. If you're on a campus setting, Domino's of course.

Right now I think Mich's best "food" offering is its beer. Especially the area a little south of you such as Grand Rapids and the entire SW portion of the state

reds1869
10-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Right now I think Mich's best "food" offering is its beer. Especially the area a little south of you such as Grand Rapids and the entire SW portion of the state

Michigan beer is spectacular right now.

Sea Ray
10-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Michigan beer is spectacular right now.

You bet. I'd highly recommend this:

http://www.michiganbrewersguild.org/detroit-fall-festival

(I'll see you there)

*BaseClogger*
10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Little Caesar's isn't a good example to use of pizza in Mich. Much better choices would be Pizza Papalis or Jets. If you're on a campus setting, Domino's of course.

The entire west side of the state is littered with top notch breweries.

Pizza Papalis does Chicago stuffed pizza as well as any place I've had in Chicagoland. Jet's is the commodified (Skyline, if you will) version of Detroit pizza.

Buddy's is the most popular local franchise of Detroit style...

Sea Ray
10-22-2013, 06:35 PM
The entire west side of the state is littered with top notch breweries.
Pizza Papalis does Chicago stuffed pizza as well as any place I've had in Chicagoland. Jet's is the commodified (Skyline, if you will) version of Detroit pizza.

Buddy's is the most popular local franchise of Detroit style...

Greenbush brewery alone is planning to bring 43 different beers to the Festival at Eastern Market this weekend. Where's Sawyer, MI?

*BaseClogger*
10-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Greenbush brewery alone is planning to bring 43 different beers to the Festival at Eastern Market this weekend. Where's Sawyer, MI?

I had to look it up myself, but it is also on the west side of the state--conveniently located off of I-94 between Kalamazoo and Chicago...

texasdave
10-22-2013, 07:13 PM

This picture made me very, very hungry.