PDA

View Full Version : Texas oilmen charged with kickbacks to Saddam Hussein

RBA
04-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Texas oilmen charged with kickbacks to Saddam Hussein

04/14/2005

By KRISTEN HAYS / Associated Press

Two Texas oilmen indicted in the United Nations oil-for-food scandal were brought before a federal magistrate in handcuffs Thursday to hear charges that they funneled kickbacks to Saddam Hussein with money intended for humanitarian relief.

David Bay Chalmers Jr., 51, and Ludmil Dionissiev, 58, a Bulgarian citizen and U.S. resident, were arrested Thursday as prosecutors in New York announced their indictments. Briton John Irving also was indicted.

Charges include conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud and violation of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. If convicted, they could face up to 62 years in prison and a maximum fine of $1 million.

Bond for Chalmers, who owns Bayoil USA Inc., and for Dionissiev, a Bayoil trader, was set at $500,000 apiece. U.S. Magistrate Calvin Botley ordered the men to put up $150,000 each in cash.

Chalmers "of course denies the charges and looks forward to proving that in New York," said his attorney, Frank Spagnoletti. The formal arraignment is set for Monday in New York.

Dionissiev's attorney, David Howard, issued a statement saying, "The complete absence of specifics in the government's indictment concerning Ludmil Dionissiev demonstrate that the government has seriously over-reached by charging him. Mr. Dionissiev intends to plead not guilty because he is not guilty, and he will be found not guilty at trial."

Botley ordered the men to surrender their passports and restricted travel to parts of Texas and New York. The men also must remove firearms from their homes. Dionissiev said he had a handgun. Chalmers said his son might have a gun.

The three defendants are accused of paying millions of dollars in kickbacks so Bayoil and another Chalmers company, Bayoil Supply & Trading Limited, based in Nassau, Bahamas, could continue to sell Iraqi oil under the oil-for-food program.

The U.N. program, which was endorsed by the United States and begun in 1996, let Iraq sell oil despite a stiff U.N. economic embargo against Saddam's regime, provided the proceeds were used to buy food and medicine for Iraqi people suffering under the sanctions.

The alleged kickbacks, between mid-2000 and March 2003, involved funds otherwise intended for humanitarian relief, said U.S. Attorney David Kelley in New York.

Kelley said $100 million would be "a conservative estimate" of the value of the oil the defendants dealt with.

Chalmers is at least a third-generation oilman.

His father, David Bay Chalmers Sr., founded Coral Petroleum and became a well-known oil trader who traveled in the same circles as Texas billionaire Oscar Wyatt.

Chalmers Sr. and Wyatt both pleaded guilty in 1980 to violating price controls after the Arab oil embargo and paid more than $20 million in fines, though Wyatt's conviction was later overturned.

Chalmers Jr. was senior vice president of Coral Petroleum from 1974 to 1983, when the company foundered. He joined Carey Petroleum in New York as an oil trader.

Four years later he founded Bayoil, a wholesale distributor and trader of crude oil and petroleum products, in Stamford, Conn. He relocated the private business to Houston in 1992, and reported that it had $4.1 million in sales in 2002.

Chalmers Jr. kept a fairly low profile for a Houston oilman, but appeared in a newspaper society column for a dinner he threw in 2000 for singer Diana Ross, a former neighbor of his in Connecticut. He lives in River Oaks, Houston's wealthiest enclave.

Dionissiev, who has contributed to the National Republican Senatorial Committee and was listed as an executive of Coral Oil and Gas, lives near the Houston Country Club.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D89FDN480.html

RBA
04-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Who's on their payroll?

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?st=TX&last=chalmers&first=david
http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?last=Dionissiev&first=Ludmil

Ravenlord
04-14-2005, 08:08 PM
"got money i'll do anything for you.
got money just tell me what you want me to.
got money nail me up against the wall.
got money don't want everything he wants it all.

[Bridge:]
no you can't take it
no you can't take it
no you can't take that away from me
no you can't take it
no you can't take it
no you can't take that away from me

head like a hole.
black as your soul.
i'd rather die than give you control.
head like a hole.
black as your soul.
i'd rather die than give you control.

[Chorus:]
bow down before the one you serve.
you're going to get what you deserve.
bow down before the one you serve.
you're going to get what you deserve.

got money's not looking for the cure.
got money's not concerned with the sick amongst the pure.
got money let's go dancing on the backs of the bruised.
got money's not one to choose

[Bridge]

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

[Bridge]

[Chorus]

you know who you are."

"Head Like A Hole"-NIN

Johnny Footstool
04-15-2005, 01:12 AM
When I hear the name "Ludmil Dionissiev," I immediately think "Texas oilman."

RBA
04-15-2005, 10:23 AM
When I hear the name "Ludmil Dionissiev," I immediately think "Texas oilman."

It's so great the we can still find humor in these times. :thumbup:

Chip R
04-15-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm sure these guys are just patsies. I'll bet this guy is behind it all.

http://images.forbes.com/images/2002/09/13/jr.jpg

Johnny Footstool
04-15-2005, 12:00 PM
It's so great the we can still find humor in these times.

That's my coping mechanism. Some situations are just so absurd that if you don't laugh, you end up a total misanthrope.

StillFunkyB
04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
I didn't read through the entire article, but would this not be considered treason?

ochre
04-15-2005, 12:23 PM
I didn't read through the entire article, but would this not be considered treason?
I guess that depends on who a person knows? :(

RedFanAlways1966
04-15-2005, 01:55 PM

I'd have to say no. I do not believe that any United States security or secrets of any sort were compromised.

Your question makes me think of President Jimmy Carter's brother, Billy. He had some dealings with Libya... when Libya was a major player in the terrorist game and a well-known enemy of the United States.

These guys, I hope, get what they deserve. A nice long prison term. The UN Director better never let his son set foot in this country. He might be a cellmate with the losers in this article.

paintmered
04-15-2005, 03:23 PM

Nope. Treason can only occur during a formal period of war - which hasn't occurred since WWII.

ochre
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
§ 2381. Treason

Release date: 2004-08-06

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

I would say the "or" there could be tested in court at least. It says "...levies war against OR adheres to their enemies..."

I thought that they were going to hit Lindh with treason charges. It seems that he pleaded down from lesser charges though. Part of the difficulty with proving treason is that it requires two first hand witnesses, or a confession in open court.

paintmered
04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
How does sedition work? and how does it differ from treason?

RBA
04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
Yes, I would be for the death penalty in this case.

ochre
04-15-2005, 04:56 PM
How does sedition work? and how does it differ from treason?
I think Sedition is a UCMJ term not a federal code term.
Seditious Conspiracy:

§ 2384. Seditious conspiracy

Release date: 2004-08-06

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

ws1990reds
04-17-2005, 02:20 AM
Who's on their payroll?

http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?st=TX&last=chalmers&first=david
http://www.newsmeat.com/fec/bystate_detail.php?last=Dionissiev&first=Ludmil

Wonder if President George Bush is whistling and looking the other way right about now?

Ravenlord
04-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Wonder if President George Bush is whistling and looking the other way right about now?
you know it.