PDA

View Full Version : Great Musical Runs

Falls City Beer
04-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Thinking about the thread that got temporarily derailed on the baseball side by my "Beatles intrusion," I got to thinking about great runs made by bands in their prime, that is, unbroken stretches of great albums by any particular band. What leaps to mind, of course, is the string beginning with Rubber Soul and ending with Let It Be (1965-1970), this being the gold standard in terms of greatness and volume of work released over a span of time. Most other bands would be reduced to ashes by comparison to this run of greatness. But other shorter runs exist, to be sure: The Rolling Stones (Beggars Banquet to Exile), Pixies (Surfer Rosa and Doolittle--okay that's a short one, but very, very bright), Sonic Youth (EVOL to Daydream Nation), Bowie (Low to Lodger), Pavement (Slanted to Wowee Zowee), all incredible runs in rock music, dizzying, in fact. What are yours? (Remember there can't be broken streaks--no clunkers breaking up the run--live albums and b-sides collections don't count).

westofyou
04-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Neil Young 70-79

Falls City Beer
04-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Neil Young 70-79

See my Neil Young streak would span three albums, On the Beach, Zuma, and Tonight's the Night. There's a bunch of clunk in there, and I love Neil.

westofyou
04-18-2005, 07:08 PM
True, but I can stomach his crap at times.

Wilco is in the midst of a nice run

Replacements Let it Be to Please to meet me.

Falls City Beer
04-18-2005, 07:12 PM
True, but I can stomach his crap at times.

Wilco is in the midst of a nice run

Replacements Let it Be to Please to meet me.

Neil's tricky: you've got gold ("Like a Hurricane") embedded in the proverbial horseflop (American Stars n Bars).

pedro
04-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Camper Van Beethoven

telephone free landslide victory
camper van beethoven
II & III
our beloved revolutionary sweetheart
key lime pie

sparklehorse

vivaladixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
good morning spider
it's a wonderful life

M2
04-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Clash

The Clash
Give 'Em Enough Rope
London Calling
Black Market Clash
Sandinista!

Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin IV
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffiti

You could go longer with them dependent on how you feel about III and Presence

Pink Floyd

Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut

U2

War
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree

Bad Brains

Rock for Light
I Against I

Fugazi

Can I just toss out Steady Diet of Nothing and count their whole career? Please.

The Misfits

Earth A.D.
Walk Among Us
Legacy of Brutality

I prefer Static Age to LoB - which was mostly a SA remaster, but no one knew it existed until long after the band split

The Ramones

Ramones
Leave Home
Rocket to Russia
Road to Ruin
End of the Century
Pleasant Dreams

Saving the world from AOR in the process

AC/DC

High Voltage
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Let There Be Rock
Powerage
Highway to Hell
Back in Black

Johnny Footstool
04-19-2005, 12:38 AM
I think a "musical run" needs to contain at least three albums.

In addition to U2, the Pixies (I think you can include Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde in their run), and Fugazi, here are a few others:

Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom, Irresistible Bliss, and El Oso. All three albums are masterpieces.

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me, Bug, Green Mind, Whatever's Cool with Me, Where You Been?

Afghan Whigs - Congregation, Gentlemen, Black Love. Gentlemen was one of the best albums of the '90s, IMO. Black Love was very good, but you could feel the greatness slipping away.

Smashing Pumpkins - Gish, Siamese Dream, and the ten good songs scattered throughout Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Redsland
04-19-2005, 12:54 AM
At the risk of sounding like a tool--(Tool!) ;)-- I liked everything Rush did from 2112 until Vapor Trails. That's covers more than 20 years.

And REM had a nice little thing going until "Green."

wheels
04-19-2005, 02:24 AM
The Stooges 1969-1972

The Stooges
Fun House
Raw Power

The Velvet Underground 1967-1970

The Velvet Underground and Nico
White Light/White Heat
The Velvet Underground
Loaded

The MC5 1969-1972

Kick out The Jams
Back in the USA
High Times

Captain Beefheart 1967-1972
Dropout Boogie
Safe as Milk
Strictly Personal
Trout Mask
Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Clear Spot
The Spotlight Kid

I dunno, call me silly for still playing those stupid vinyl records, but I've gotten a kick out of these for a long time. In my mind nothing beats slumping down in my record room for a few hours on a tuesday afternoon spinning them and drinking beer.

No one's ever accused me of being some kinda sophisticate anyway.

wheels
04-19-2005, 02:29 AM
[QUOTE=M2

The Ramones

Ramones
Leave Home
Rocket to Russia
Road to Ruin
End of the Century
Pleasant Dreams

Saving the world from AOR in the process

So true, and you can also say that they're still saving the world from another great evil....O.A.R. (yeeeeccchhh)

You'd get a kick out of my record collection.

WVRedsFan
04-19-2005, 03:28 AM
I know y'all gonna love this...

Buffett, Jimmy

1978-2004

All platinum (I think) and still chugging.

I think...

Blimpie
04-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Led Zeppelin IV
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffiti

You could go longer with them dependent on how you feel about III and Presence

IMO Led Zeppelin III was a pretty strong effort, but Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine were the only highlights of the Presence album

Blimpie
04-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Please, let us not forget the Boss and his run from 1975-1980...

Born To Run. Released August 25, 1975. Chart high #3.

Darkness On the Edge of Town. Released June 2, 1978. Chart high #5.

The River. Released October 10, 1980. Chart high #1.

:rockband:

M2
04-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Please, let us not forget the Boss and his run from 1975-1980...

Born To Run. Released August 25, 1975. Chart high #3.

Darkness On the Edge of Town. Released June 2, 1978. Chart high #5.

The River. Released October 10, 1980. Chart high #1.

I'd include Greetings from Asbury Park and The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle

M2
04-19-2005, 01:10 PM

"Big-Eyed Beans from Venus" has got to be like one of the best songs ever.

StillFunkyB
04-19-2005, 01:37 PM
KORN

Self-Titled - First time I heard the album I was hooked.
Life Is Peachy - Was in my car CD player for almost 8 months without being removed. The girl next to me at the concert in Akron took her shirt off. :KoolAid:
Follow The Leader - First time I heard "Got The Life", it sounded as if they were coming straight out of the speakers. Saw them 3 times on this tour.

After FTL they pretty much fell off the wagon. I didn't expect Issues to be nearly as good as FTL, because it's hard to follow an album that is that good. Untouchables was absolute garbage.

wheels
04-19-2005, 01:43 PM
"Big-Eyed Beans from Venus" has got to be like one of the best songs ever.

What are you...Some kinda ROCKanteur? ( I don't know if I even spelled it right, but you get it..)

wheels
04-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Oh Hey...

I'll give anyone ten points if they can tell me Captain Beefheart's real name without looking it up.

I'm gonna use the honor system here, so no cheating.

westofyou
04-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Oh Hey...

I'll give anyone ten points if they can tell me Captain Beefheart's real name without looking it up.

Don VItalianguy

pedro
04-19-2005, 01:53 PM
Oh Hey...

10 Points on what? My drivers license? :)

westofyou
04-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Merl Haggard

Swinging Doors

Branded Man

I'm a Lonesome Fugative

The Kinks

Village Green Soceity

Arthur

Lola vs Powerman

Muswell Hillbillies

pedro
04-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Yo La Tengo

Ride The Tiger
New Wave Hots Dogs
President Yo La Tengo
Fakebook
Painful
Electro-Pura
I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
And then nothing turned itself inside-out

M2
04-19-2005, 02:29 PM
The Kinks

Village Green Soceity

Arthur

Lola vs Powerman

Muswell Hillbillies

You missed the best album in that run, Everybody's in Showbiz.

Though not consecutive, they put out Soap Opera, Sleepwalker, Misfits, Low Budget, Give the People What They Want and State of Confusion from 1975-1983. Couple that with your list and their early stuff like Kontroversy and the best Brit invasion debut album of them all and you've got an amazing two-decade run.

Roy Tucker
04-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Jimi Hendrix

Are You Experienced
Axis: Bold As Love
Electric Ladyland
Band of Gypsys
The Cry Of Love/First Rays of the New Rising Sun

RFS62
04-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Wheels, I can't believe you know Captain Beefheart.

I saw him with Tull in '71, three rows from the stage. I couldn't hear for three days.

I'm gonna booglarize you, baby.

RFS62
04-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Yes

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close to the Edge

M2
04-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Beastie Boys

License to Ill
Paul's Boutique
Check Your Head
Ill Communication

And if you like Hello Nasty enough you can can To the 5 Boroughs

Public Enemy

Yo! Bum Rush the Show
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Fear of a Black Planet
Apocalypse '91: The Enemy Strikes Black

wheels
04-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Wheels, I can't believe you know Captain Beefheart.

I saw him with Tull in '71, three rows from the stage. I couldn't hear for three days.

I'm gonna booglarize you, baby.

Believe it!

I'm into that scronky psycho freak out kinda stuff sometimes.

Waitaminnit!!

You actually SAW Captain Beefheart?

Will you be my dad?

wheels
04-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Yo La Tengo

Ride The Tiger
New Wave Hots Dogs
President Yo La Tengo
Fakebook
Painful
Electro-Pura
I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
And then nothing turned itself inside-out

Geesh...I didn't know they put out that many records.

pedro
04-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Geesh...I didn't know they put out that many records.

and they're all excellent.

they have another "summer sun" which was the last one. kind of boring.

also new wave hot dog/ president YLT is a re-issue double album package.

wheels
04-19-2005, 04:19 PM
and they're all excellent.

they have another "summer sun" which was the last one. kind of boring.

also new wave hot dog/ president YLT is a re-issue double album package.

Are they a Matador band?

gm
04-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, 1763-1791

westofyou
04-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Are they a Matador band?

Yeppers

westofyou
04-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Ira needs to get his guitar out again though. Pedro and I saw them a few months back and it was keyboard hell.

RFS62
04-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Believe it!

I'm into that scronky psycho freak out kinda stuff sometimes.

Waitaminnit!!

You actually SAW Captain Beefheart?

Will you be my dad?

Sure. Now go get me some cheese whiz, boy!!

Captain Beefheart was the opening act for Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" tour. It was my freshman year in college. I stayed in line for hours, and hit a grand slam with 8 third row center tickets.

My brother was a drummer in a rock band at the time, and he brought up his hippie buddies for the show.

Good times.

M2
04-19-2005, 04:48 PM
I saw Honeymoon Suite open for Jethro Tull. Tull was fine, Ian got his flute on, but Honeymoon Suite is by far the worst band I've ever seen and I've seen Krokus.

Guided by Voices probably belongs on this list. Donna Summer and James Brown too. I'd be inclined to add Sisters of Mercy as well.

gm
04-19-2005, 05:14 PM
And who could forget...Elton John/Bernie Taupin, 1972-1976?

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Excellent call on the Kinks, btw, WOY.

I would say the Pixies four-LP-length run was untarnished if not for the awful, flaccid Bossanova.

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 05:19 PM
I saw Honeymoon Suite open for Jethro Tull. Tull was fine, Ian got his flute on, but Honeymoon Suite is by far the worst band I've ever seen and I've seen Krokus.

Guided by Voices probably belongs on this list. Donna Summer and James Brown too. I'd be inclined to add Sisters of Mercy as well.

lGuided by Voices as a worst live band? Are you out of your mind?

wheels
04-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Guided by Voices probably belongs on that list

GBV 1992-1996 Everything before Tobin Sprout left, and Bob went all egomaniac and fired the rest of the band. I dig John Petkovic and Cobra Verde, and all, but GBV was about Bob and Tobin to me.

Propeller
Vampire on Titus
Bee Thousand
Alien Lanes
Under the Bushes Under the Stars.

This date in Guided by Voices: They played a show with The New Bomb Turks and Thomas Jefferson Slave Appartments at the Alrosa Villa in 1996. I remember falling face first into a pile of leaves and moss and compost in somebody's back yard at the afterparty. Ron and Bob still make fun of me to this very day...Haven't seen Bob for awhile, though.

Blimpie
04-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Yes

The Yes Album

Fragile

Close to the EdgeHoly Crap! How did I forget Yes....I still think Yessongs is one of the best live albums ever made :D

Blimpie
04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
You missed the best album in that run, Everybody's in Showbiz.

Though not consecutive, they put out Soap Opera, Sleepwalker, Misfits, Low Budget, Give the People What They Want and State of Confusion from 1975-1983. Couple that with your list and their early stuff like Kontroversy and the best Brit invasion debut album of them all and you've got an amazing two-decade run.These two albums have massive replay-ability....

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
What Makes a Man Start Fires?

Double Nickels on the Dime

Three-Way Tie for Last

Minutemen--all three LPs released in a 22 month span--touring all the while. Unearthly.

Blimpie
04-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Guided by Voices probably belongs on this list. Donna Summer and James Brown too. I'd be inclined to add Sisters of Mercy as well.I had to endure both Saxon AND Krokus as duel opening acts for Cheaptrick one night (circa 1983?) :runaway:

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I had to endure both Saxon AND Krokus as duel opening acts for Cheaptrick one night (circa 1983?) :runaway:

Were you "screamin' in the night" or "fightin for your life" or both?

M2
04-19-2005, 05:31 PM
lGuided by Voices as a worst live band? Are you out of your mind?

Vague post construction on my part. GBV, Summer, Brown and SoM belong on great runs list.

M2
04-19-2005, 05:34 PM
GBV 1992-1996 Everything before Tobin Sprout left, and Bob went all egomaniac and fired the rest of the band.

I like the egomaniac stuff too. Good songs spew from Bob's head.

Blimpie
04-19-2005, 05:39 PM
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the band that was--without a doubt--the greatest rock band ever assembled:

The (Bloody) Who

In a little over four years, they knocked out not one--but two--lengthy rock operas, a kick ass live album and oh, by the way, a decent little studio effort for good measure:

Tommy (1969)
Live at Leeds (1970)
Who's Next (1971)
Quadrophenia (1973)

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 05:44 PM
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the band that was--without a doubt--the greatest rock band ever assembled:

The (Bloody) Who

In a little over four years, they knocked out not one--but two--lengthy rock operas, a kick ass live album and oh, by the way, a decent little studio effort for good measure:

Tommy (1969)
Live at Leeds (1970)
Who's Next (1971)
Quadrophenia (1973)

Go ahead and add The Who Sell Out to that list. Twice if you have to. That album RULES.

Blimpie
04-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Were you "screamin' in the night" or "fightin for your life" or both?Actually, it was more like the girl that I took to the show was madly in love with Robin Zander from Cheaptrick. I was just trying to take one for the team... :dancingco

Mutaman
04-19-2005, 05:46 PM
The Stooges 1969-1972

The Stooges
Fun House
Raw Power

The Velvet Underground 1967-1970

The Velvet Underground and Nico
White Light/White Heat
The Velvet Underground
Loaded

The MC5 1969-1972

Kick out The Jams
Back in the USA
High Times

Dropout Boogie
Safe as Milk
Strictly Personal
Trout Mask
Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Clear Spot
The Spotlight Kid

I dunno, call me silly for still playing those stupid vinyl records, but I've gotten a kick out of these for a long time. In my mind nothing beats slumping down in my record room for a few hours on a tuesday afternoon spinning them and drinking beer.

No one's ever accused me of being some kinda sophisticate anyway.

I just heard Raw Power for the first time last week. You're right- it might be a great album. Wish I would have heard it a long time ago.

My pick:

Bob Dylan 1962
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan 1963
The Times They Are A Changing 1964
Another Side of Bob Dylan 1964
Bringing It All Back Home 1965
Highway 61 Revisited 1965
Blonde on Blonde 1966
John Wesley Harding 1967
Nashville Skyline 1969

Mutaman
04-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Go ahead and add The Who Sell Out to that list. Twice if you have to. That album RULES.

"What's For Tea, Daughter?"

A magnificent achievement and it sounds better today than it did when it came out.

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 05:50 PM
"What's For Tea, Daughter?"

A magnificent achievement and it sounds better today than it did when it came out.

"Dah-leeng, I said 'what's for tea?'"

Mutaman
04-19-2005, 05:54 PM
"Dah-leeng, I said 'what's for tea?'"

"Heinz Baked beans. More Music, More Music, More Music, More Music.

And then into the sublime Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands. Lets face it, the Briitsh Invasion was the most significant cultural event of the 20th century. Hell, nobody's even mentioned the Stones yet.

wheels
04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
I like the egomaniac stuff too. Good songs spew from Bob's head.

Go out and get Cobra Verde's "Easy Listening" record, or anything by Death of Samantha (John Petkovic's first band), then tell me who wrote those guitar parts.

You won't be disappointed, trust me.

pedro
04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Hell, nobody's even mentioned the Stones yet.

first post. but hell yeah.

Blimpie
04-19-2005, 06:00 PM
"Heinz Baked beans. More Music, More Music, More Music, More Music.

And then into the sublime Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands. Lets face it, the Briitsh Invasion was the most significant cultural event of the 20th century. Hell, nobody's even mentioned the Stones yet.I'll mention them...Posers, the whole lot of them. ;)

wheels
04-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Lets face it, the Briitsh Invasion was the most significant cultural event of the 20th century. Hell, nobody's even mentioned the Stones yet.

I understand how you might think that, and I,m as big a Stones fan as any....

But let's not pretend they invented Rock n' Roll. The Brits just made it more palatable to the largely racist American populace at that time.

If you wanna say that the melding of Blues,and Country in a very raw and primal way, with dirty drum beats and hip gyrations and naughty lyrics (rock n roll) was the most significant cultural event of the twentieth century, I'd agree with you.

But those mop tops from Liverpool didn't invent the dang thing.

The term Rock n' Roll used to be a slang used by black folks in the 1930's. It alluded to how the bed would rock, and subsequenty roll across the floor during coital relations.

Them music's meant to be dirty, primal, raw and nasty....It wasn't for mass consumption 'cept for the few in the white community that had no problem with it.

The British just piled on the gentrification wagon that started rolling when a guy named Elvis made it okay to listen to.

In no way am I denegrating what bands like the Stones (who are one of my favorite bands), and the Kinks did. They wrote great songs. I'm not really into the Beatles because of the cutsie image they purveyed at first, and the hippie image they purveyed near the end. The very things that endeared them to a very conservative American public. I'll give 'em credit though, they really knew how to play the angles with the media, and they got the girlies screaming.

M2
04-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Go out and get Cobra Verde's "Easy Listening" record, or anything by Death of Samantha (John Petkovic's first band), then tell me who wrote those guitar parts.

You won't be disappointed, trust me.

I likes me Death of Samantha.

Just fell in love with The National, who happen to be a bunch of Cincinnati boys

Rocket From The Crypt should be on this list.

wheels
04-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I likes me Death of Samantha.

Just fell in love with The National, who happen to be a bunch of Cincinnati boys

Rocket From The Crypt should be on this list.

I just bought a cool Rocket From The Crypt pin today at the record store.
The girl behind the counter thinks I'm cute, so she sold it to me for .50.
I love being good looking. :D

I haven't heard The National yet.

Howsabout The Soundtrack of Our Lives?

Heard the new one yet?

...And you've heard of Death of Samantha?

Who....ARE...you? (That's me in some kinda weird sci fi voice)

westofyou
04-19-2005, 06:16 PM
And then into the sublime Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands.

I saw the Who at the Bridge Benefit in 2000 or 1999 anyway, Pete dedicated that song to all the kids in wheelchairs set up behind the band.

Then Brian Wilson called them all "cripples"

BTW I'll take Summer Days Summer Nights - Pet Sounds - Smile - Wild Honey - Friends - Sunflower - Surfs Up - Carl and The Passions "So Tough" as a a pretty good run.

wheels
04-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Thank you for the Beach Boys Woy!

This is great thread, aint it?

Who else is havin' fun?

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
I saw the Who at the Bridge Benefit in 2000 or 1999 anyway, Pete dedicated that song to all the kids in wheelchairs set up behind the band.

Then Brian Wilson called them all "cripples"

BTW I'll take Summer Days Summer Nights - Pet Sounds - Smile - Wild Honey - Friends - Sunflower - Surfs Up - Carl and The Passions "So Tough" as a a pretty good run.

I might go Pet Sounds to Wild Honey. That's a pretty forgiving list.

Beach Boys suffer from what I like to call W.H. Auden disease, write 10 great, beyond great poems and 500 lousy ones, yet still be great somehow.

westofyou
04-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Me... I love Friends.... Yes Sunflower has holes but I also like Carls and the Passions alot.

Surfs Up for "Til I Die" into "Surfs Up" by default.

M2
04-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Dead Kennedys

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
In God We Trust Inc.
Plastic Surgery Disasters

Black Flag

Damaged
My War
Slip It In
Loose Nut

No, I don't count Family Man

Jesus and Mary Chain

Psychocandy
Darklands
Barbed Wire Kisses
Automatic
Honey's Dead

Talking Heads

Talking Heads: 77
More Songs About Buildings and Food
Fear of Music
Remain in Light
Speaking in Tongues
Little Creatures

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Dead Kennedys

Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
In God We Trust Inc.
Plastic Surgery Disasters

Black Flag

Damaged
My War
Slip It In
Loose Nut

No, I don't count Family Man

Jesus and Mary Chain

Psychocandy
Darklands
Barbed Wire Kisses
Automatic
Honey's Dead

Talking Heads

Talking Heads: 77
More Songs About Buildings and Food
Fear of Music
Remain in Light
Speaking in Tongues
Little Creatures

You're dead on with Black Flag; Talking Heads--I'd only call the three Eno albums great (but boy are they amazing).

M2
04-19-2005, 06:46 PM
...And you've heard of Death of Samantha?

Who....ARE...you? (That's me in some kinda weird sci fi voice)

I've got a friend who owns pretty much everything. Keeps me in the loop.

Here's a link to the lead vid The National's new album:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/thenationalx12x04x05

M2
04-19-2005, 06:46 PM
You're dead on with Black Flag; Talking Heads--I'd only call the three Eno albums great (but boy are they amazing).

I actually think they peaked after that on Little Creatures.

pedro
04-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Gram Parsons
GP
Grievous Angel

short but sweet.

pedro
04-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Built to Spill

There's nothing wrong with love
Perfect from Now On
Keep it Like a Secret
Ancient Melodies of the Future.

westofyou
04-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Marvin Gaye

What's Going on?
Let's get it on
I want you
Here my dear

pedro
04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I've got a friend who owns pretty much everything. Keeps me in the loop.

Here's a link to the lead vid The National's new album:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/thenationalx12x04x05

i like that. pretty cool.

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I like that track. Even though it's a little emo.....errrr...modern. (my friends always laugh at me because I almost always lump anything more modern sounding into the emo category.)

Here are some of the new records I bought today.

Mando Diao (I think it's self titled)- great power pop group from Sweden. Check this link if you want. www.mando-diao.com

I also bought the new Soundtrack of Our Lives record. So far, it rocks. It's a bit poppier than their early stuff, but it's not really pop....It's PSYCHE POP. There's a difference. Also from Sweden. What's with Swedes writing better songs than Americans? That's a big problem in this country.

Once again, I mention Cobra Verde because I just bought their newest one today. It's all cover songs, but they are done in an amazing way. You must check out Petkovic's take on "Get the Party Started"...You know, the Pink song. Genius. As an aside, on personal level, you would love John. He's the most intelligent person on the planet, and his songs reflect that. It's music for smart people and I feel stupid for listening to it.

The rest of the stuff I bought was just old garage rock re-issues from early sixties Australian bands. Stuff nobody on this site would care about.

westofyou
04-19-2005, 07:02 PM
Easybeats?

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Easybeats?

What about 'em?

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Seriously WoY...

Friday on my Mind is one of the greatest top forty hits ever in my mind.

Right up there with Crimson and Clover, and 96 Tears.

pedro
04-19-2005, 07:08 PM
I like that track. Even though it's a little emo.....errrr...modern. (my friends always laugh at me because I almost always lump anything more modern sounding into the emo category.)

Here are some of the new records I bought today.

Mando Diao (I think it's self titled)- great power pop group from Sweden. Check this link if you want. www.mando-diao.com

I also bought the new Soundtrack of Our Lives record. So far, it rocks. It's a bit poppier than their early stuff, but it's not really pop....It's PSYCHE POP. There's a difference. Also from Sweden. What's with Swedes writing better songs than Americans? That's a big problem in this country.

Once again, I mention Cobra Verde because I just bought their newest one today. It's all cover songs, but they are done in an amazing way. You must check out Petkovic's take on "Get the Party Started"...You know, the Pink song. Genius. As an aside, on personal level, you would love John. He's the most intelligent person on the planet, and his songs reflect that. It's music for smart people and I feel stupid for listening to it.

The rest of the stuff I bought was just old garage rock re-issues from early sixties Australian bands. Stuff nobody on this site would care about.

I saw this Swedish band called "Trad Gras Och Stenar" (trees, grass and stone") open up for Stephen Malkmus. They are some 60/70's era phychedelic band that opened up for the Doors in Copenhagen in the 60's.

They were great. Absolutley melted my head.

pedro
04-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Seriously WoY...

Friday on my Mind is one of the greatest top forty hits ever in my mind.

Right up there with Crimson and Clover, and 96 Tears.

You know that Malcolm & Angus's brother was in the Easybeats?

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:11 PM
I saw this Swedish band called "Trad Gras Och Stenar" (trees, grass and stone") open up for Stephen Malkmus. They are some 60/70's era phychedelic band that opened up for the Doors in Copenhagen in the 60's.

They were great. Absolutley melted my head.

See...That's what they do, man!

Last time Soundtrack of Our Lives played in Columbus, my roomate took the lead singer to this hilarious goth club called Outland. I had to go home early because it was the day before the grand opening of The Great American Ballpark, and I needed my sleep.

Anyway, that cat does alot of drugs, and roomie (now ex roomie) doesn't even smoke pot, but he had to run him around town. That's what he gets for fronting the Turks.

I guess whips and chains and electrodes were involved, but I stopped asking questions.

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:12 PM
You know that Malcolm & Angus's brother was in the Easybeats?

George Young.

You guys are GOOD.

I had no idea.

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Okay...That reminds me.

The Saints, from Melbourne Australia

I'm Stranded
Eternally Yours
Prehistoric Sounds

Those are essential records.

Howsabout Radio Birdman?

pedro
04-19-2005, 07:33 PM
That's what he gets for fronting the Turks.

new bomb turks?

you know appalachian death ride?

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:43 PM
new bomb turks?

you know appalachian death ride?

Yes, THE New Bomb Turks.

I've known those guys for fifteen years or something. Eric was my roomate for three of those years. I've gone on tours with them and everything.

Yes! Of course I know of Appalachian Death Ride. They're from Athens, and they were an Anyway band, so I've seen them play lotsa times.

pedro
04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Yes, THE New Bomb Turks.

I've known those guys for fifteen years or something. Eric was my roomate for three of those years. I've gone on tours with them and everything.

Yes! Of course I know of Appalachian Death Ride. They're from Athens, and they were an Anyway band, so I've seen them play lotsa times.

cool. I went to college with ADR. Probably seen them 100 times.

They used to play The Union all the time. I miss knowing the guys booking the shows at every club and having them tell you when a good show was coming.

I'm thinking about going to see Crooked Fingers tonight, mostly because Bachman's got the Archers of Loaf Bass player (Matt Gentling) playing with him and that guy is a madman.

I miss the Archers.

So, next band.

Archers of Loaf

Icky Mettle (one of the greatest albums of all time)
Vee Vee
All the Nations Airports
White Trash Heroes

M2
04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
George Young.

You guys are GOOD.

I had no idea.

George had a new wave band a decade later called Flash in the Pan that, IMO, was excellent.

You mentioned Swedes, which reminds me we ought to put The Hives on this list as they're batting 1.000 so far on three records. And my sister just mentioned she's pre-ordered the new Sleater-Kinney, another listworthy band.

wheels, wild guess, but how much of the Crypt Records catalog do you own?

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Speaking of the Turks.

They had an almost unprecedented run of significant Rock n' Roll records for almost a decade. I call them significant,even though they were largely under the radar screens of big radio and media. They did release three records on Epitaph, and had two vids on MTV....Great records regardless.

Destroy Oh Boy!
Information Highway Revisited
Scared Straight
At Rope's End (my personal favorite)
Nightmare Scenario
The Night Before the Day the Earth Stood Still

Not a clunker in the bunch.

Somebody stop me, I've hijacked this thread.

pedro
04-19-2005, 07:54 PM
My friend Bill always said they "beeped" too much, and I know they are dated as all hell, but I love the Cars.

The Cars
Candy-O
Panorama
Shake it Up.

M2
04-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Archers of Loaf

Icky Mettle (one of the greatest albums of all time)
Vee Vee
All the Nations Airports
White Trash Heroes

I kept meaning to add them. Saw them play in what amounted to a closet in Danbury, CT once upon a time. Even for those who don't think the last two albums are up to the snuff of the first two, the Audio***** EP makes up for it.

pedro
04-19-2005, 07:57 PM
hey how about that. RealRhapsody has some Turks on it.

I'm gonna listen to some. I haven't heard them in ages. thanks wheels!

wheels
04-19-2005, 07:57 PM
George had a new wave a decade later called Flash in the Pan that, IMO, was excellent.

You mentioned Swedes, which reminds me we ought to put The Hives on this list as they're batting 1.000 so far on three records. And my sister just mentioned she's pre-ordered the new Sleater-Kinney, another listworthy band.

wheels, wild guess, but how much of the Crypt Records catalog do you own?

You SKUNK!

You're on to me.

I own most of the stuff they put out in the nineties. Tim Warren is one of my heroes.

Man, I could name sooo many great Crypt bands from the early to late nineties, and then...Nothing.

Tim really got more into his reissues and stuff like that, plus I think the big blowup he had with the Oblivians really soured him on new bands. I don't blame him because it's thankless, but he did turn some kids on to some really great stuff. The man should be CANONIZED.

Seriously, folks. Go out and buy some Lazy Cowgirls records RIGHT STINKING NOW.

And the Hives rule. Personal friends of mine.

pedro
04-19-2005, 07:58 PM
I kept meaning to add them. Saw them play in what amounted to a closet in Danbury, CT once upon a time. Even for those who don't think the last two albums are up to the snuff of the first two, the Audio***** EP makes up for it.

Take about a band that could set up in your kitchen and and rip your head off.
wow.

wheels
04-19-2005, 08:00 PM
hey how about that. RealRhapsody has some Turks on it.

I'm gonna listen to some. I haven't heard them in ages. thanks wheels!

What's realrhapsody?

I don't know anything about internet rock, cept for maybe grunnerocks.nl outta the netherlands. You can stream the free radio broadcast for awhile after it's been played. Awesome place to find new bands.

Seriously check that place out.

If that link doesn't work, do a google search with that spelling, and it will come up for some reason.

M2
04-19-2005, 08:04 PM
You SKUNK!

You're on to me.

I own most of the stuff they put out in the nineties. Tim Warren is one of my heroes.

Man, I could name sooo many great Crypt bands from the early to late nineties, and then...Nothing.

Tim really got more into his reissues and stuff like that, plus I think the big blowup he had with the Oblivians really soured him on new bands. I don't blame him because it's thankless, but he did turn some kids on to some really great stuff. The man should be CANONIZED.

Seriously, folks. Go out and buy some Lazy Cowgirls records RIGHT STINKING NOW.

And the Hives rule. Personal friends of mine.

The catalogs themselves make for great reading. Each one is like a rock n' roll treastise. The old issue stuff like Link Wray and Screaming Lord Sutch is amazing. Absolutely nowhere else can you find the alternate history of rock n' roll so well preserved.

pedro
04-19-2005, 08:04 PM
What's realrhapsody?

I don't know anything about internet rock, cept for maybe grunnerocks.nl outta the netherlands. You can stream the free radio broadcast for awhile after it's been played. Awesome place to find new bands.

Seriously check that place out.

If that link doesn't work, do a google search with that spelling, and it will come up for some reason.

Rhapsody is real audio's streaming app. Basically lets' you listen to almost any album put out on a major or semi major label in last 50 years. A lot of indie stuff isn't there, but there a lot to peruse through. It cost like 12 bucks a month. It's good for me b/c I work at home and am sick of my music collection. Plus it lets me check out a lot of country and jazz & bossa nova that I don't have. Also when new albums come out, you can check them out before you buy.

wheels
04-19-2005, 09:15 PM
The catalogs themselves make for great reading. Each one is like a rock n' roll treastise. The old issue stuff like Link Wray and Screaming Lord Sutch is amazing. Absolutely nowhere else can you find the alternate history of rock n' roll so well preserved.

I don't see it as being the "alternate history", but yeah, obviously I agree.

He's even got some cool Hasil Adkins records on there.

I don't even know if he's doing internet sales, but I'm gonna check.

Redsland
04-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Wow. I thought I had range, but I got nothing on M2.

(Thank god you clarified your stance on The Godfather of Soul, BTW) ;)

Jesus and Mary Chain? I don't know anyone else (at all) who's ever heard of them, but Automatic was a HUGE CD for me. That and Honey's Dead are still in the changer.

Mutaman
04-19-2005, 10:47 PM
I understand how you might think that, and I,m as big a Stones fan as any....

But let's not pretend they invented Rock n' Roll. The Brits just made it more palatable to the largely racist American populace at that time.

If you wanna say that the melding of Blues,and Country in a very raw and primal way, with dirty drum beats and hip gyrations and naughty lyrics (rock n roll) was the most significant cultural event of the twentieth century, I'd agree with you.

But those mop tops from Liverpool didn't invent the dang thing.

The term Rock n' Roll used to be a slang used by black folks in the 1930's. It alluded to how the bed would rock, and subsequenty roll across the floor during coital relations.

Them music's meant to be dirty, primal, raw and nasty....It wasn't for mass consumption 'cept for the few in the white community that had no problem with it.

The British just piled on the gentrification wagon that started rolling when a guy named Elvis made it okay to listen to.

In no way am I denegrating what bands like the Stones (who are one of my favorite bands), and the Kinks did. They wrote great songs. I'm not really into the Beatles because of the cutsie image they purveyed at first, and the hippie image they purveyed near the end. The very things that endeared them to a very conservative American public. I'll give 'em credit though, they really knew how to play the angles with the media, and they got the girlies screaming.

Nobody's claiming the Brits invented Rock and Roll, we all know Ike Turner did that. But if it had't been for the Brits, dopey white guys like me wouldn't have even heard of Muddy, Walter Jacobs, and all those guys from Chicago, much less Robert Johnson et all. And Chuck Berry would probably be long forgotten. "Just made it more palatable to the largely racist American populace at that time" is a pretty significant contribution. Is Clapton covering
"I got Rambling" as great an achievement as what Johnson created when he did the original? Of course not. But Clapton building on that sound and then creating Layla is pretty significant. Is Mick and Keith covering "Confessing the Blues" as big a deal as Little Walter's original? Get serious (although it still sounds pretty good). But the Stones taking what Walter had done and years later creating Exile on Main Street is pretty significant. I'm as big a Bluesman as the next guy, but lets give the Limies their due. (And the Irish too. When is somebody gonna bring up Van the Man?)

Mutaman
04-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Merl Haggard

Swinging Doors

Branded Man

I'm a Lonesome Fugative

The Kinks

Village Green Soceity

Arthur

Lola vs Powerman

Muswell Hillbillies

Anybody who digs Merle and the Kinks can't be all bad. I've really gotten into the Bakersfield sound lately. I realizie most people think of Buck Owens as the doofus who hosted the inane "Hee-Haw" but in the sixties that guy really rocked. Along with his great guitar player Don Rich, Owens put out 15 straight number one hits. And just because something's popular doesn't mean it ain't good. Moreover some very hip people dug Buck-- The Beatles had a hit with Act Naturally, Ringo's first vocal attempt, and no less than the Genius himself had huge hits with Cryin Time and Together Again. (Ray wasn't into labels- he dug good country as much as good R+B).

Finally, is it true that Muskogee Oaklahoma is the only place in the USA where Merle has not smoked Marijuana?

westofyou
04-19-2005, 11:00 PM
That and Honey's Dead are still in the changer.

I wanna die like....

Lollapalooza 2 had some of the best guitar rock of the early 90's

Pearl Jam, Jesus Marychain, Sound Garden, Ministry, and the chili peppers

westofyou
04-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Anybody who digs Merle and the Kinks can't be all bad.
hey we have some politics in common too... that and I'm one generation removed from New York State

Falls City Beer
04-19-2005, 11:49 PM
I think the Grifters first two full-length albums have held up incredibly well; their last several, not so well.

M2
04-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Jesus and Mary Chain? I don't know anyone else (at all) who's ever heard of them, but Automatic was a HUGE CD for me. That and Honey's Dead are still in the changer.

Really? Like everybody I know LOVES them. It was the background music at every party I went to in college and grad school, at least all the good parties I went to.

Well, that and -

The Cure

Boys Don't Cry
Seventeen
Faith
Pornography
Head on the Door
Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Disintegration

I'm not holding The Top against them.

Oh, there was also -

Echo and the Bunnymen

Heaven Up Here
Ocean Rain
Songs to Learn and Sing
Echo and the Bunnymen

And if we're being diverse -

Dick Dale

No reason to list, he's never made a bad album.

Stevie Wonder and The Jackson 5 (beat you to it FCB) went on some sick runs in the last '60s and early '70s.

I've got a friend, whose opinion I trust, that claims Outkast reeks of brilliance, spanning something like six albums.

And I'll toss this one out to the peanut gallery, does Van Halen, first four records, belong?

pedro
04-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Outkast does reek of brilliance.

The Bakersfield sound rocks.

Has anyone mentioned the Smiths?

Johnny Footstool
04-20-2005, 01:27 AM
Jesus and Mary Chain? I don't know anyone else (at all) who's ever heard of them,

Maybe you should get out more. ;)

When you hear the Raveonettes, doesn't it make you want to load "Automatic" into the CD player and drown out those wannabes?

cincinnati chili
04-20-2005, 01:53 AM
Frank Zappa:

Over-Nite Sensation (7 September 1973)
Apostrophe(') (22 March 1974)
Roxy & Elsewhere (10 September 1974)
One Size Fits All (25 June 1975)
Bongo Fury (2 October 1975)

M2
04-20-2005, 03:04 AM
Maybe you should get out more. ;)

When you hear the Raveonettes, doesn't it make you want to load "Automatic" into the CD player and drown out those wannabes?

Nah, I give 'em props for knowing who to ape. That sound is still ahead of its time and the Raveonettes do it well.

Hey, here's two from the guilty pleasures file:

Sweet

The Sweet
Desolation Boulevard
Give Us a Wink

Gotta love bubbleglam.

Judas Priest

Hell Bent for Leather
British Steel
Point of Entry
Screaming for Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith

Tipper Gore quoted a tune from that last one on that list, "Eat Me Alive," during the PMRC hearings. She complained that it was appalling what the band proposed to do with the woman in that song. Uh Tipper, he wasn't singing about a woman. That alone puts Defenders on the list.

Roy Tucker
04-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Mahavishnu Orchestra:

The Inner Mounting Flame
Birds Of Fire
Between Nothingness And Eternity
Apocalypse
Visions Of The Emerald Beyond

Roy Tucker
04-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Hey, I'm a fossil, I know...

Eagles:

The Eagles
Desperado
On the Border
One of These Nights
Hotel California

wheels
04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Nah, I give 'em props for knowing who to ape. That sound is still ahead of its time and the Raveonettes do it well.

Hey, here's two from the guilty pleasures file:

Sweet

The Sweet
Desolation Boulevard
Give Us a Wink

Gotta love bubbleglam.

Judas Priest

Hell Bent for Leather
British Steel
Point of Entry
Screaming for Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith

Tipper Gore quoted a tune from that last one on that list, "Eat Me Alive," during the PMRC hearings. She complained that it was appalling what the band proposed to do with the woman in that song. Uh Tipper, he wasn't singing about a woman. That alone puts Defenders on the list.

Now wait just one minute here....Are you saying Rob Halford is gay?

No freaking way!

:p:

westofyou
04-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Did anyone see GBV and Modest Mouse on Austin City Limits last week?

Opinions?

Blimpie
04-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Frank Zappa:

Over-Nite Sensation (7 September 1973)
Apostrophe(') (22 March 1974)
Roxy & Elsewhere (10 September 1974)
One Size Fits All (25 June 1975)
Bongo Fury (2 October 1975)Not sure about the year ('78-'79?), but please don't forget:

Sheik Yerbouti

:D

Blimpie
04-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Now wait just one minute here....Are you saying Rob Halford is gay?

No freaking way!

:p:Not to start rumors or anything--but I have my suspicions about Freddy Mercury, as well.

westofyou
04-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Not to start rumors or anything--but I have my suspicions about Freddy Mercury, as well.

And that guy in Steel Dragon too.

Redsland
04-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Stevie definitely belongs on the list. As long as you stop at Songs in the Key of Life. His '80s love song drivel is B.A.D.

Hey, B.A.D.! Not an incredibly accessible group, but everything from their debut through High Power is solid, with the possible exception of the uneven Tighten Up.

As for the Van Halen question, I'd let them in on the strength of 1984, 5150, and OU812, which I realize pigeon-holes me as a fan of radio-friendly hooks and keyboards, but so what.

Good call on the Cure, BTW. As Stan Marsh says, "Disintegration is the best album ever!"

Ned's Atomic Dustbin was a favorite.
Kill Your Television
Godfodder
Are You Normal?

westofyou
04-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Brief Run in the late 80's early 90's

Uncle Tupelo

No Depression
Still Feel Gone
March 16-20
Anodyne

M2
04-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Did anyone see GBV and Modest Mouse on Austin City Limits last week?

Opinions?

I saw the GBV set a while back. They did the Pixies and the Flaming Lips, who deserve to be on this list, in other installments. Blew my mind that those bands were on the show. Have they done Wilco? It would seem to fit.

Great call on Tupelo.

westofyou
04-20-2005, 12:36 PM
They've done Wilco twice I think, that show has really stretched out the last few years beyond eclectic roots based music.

pedro
04-20-2005, 02:10 PM
The Smiths

Meat is Murder
Queen is Dead
Strange Ways here we come
Louder than Bombs (even though it's are package)

westofyou
04-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I think the Lips last 2 are perfect from begining to end.... their next one could be one that gives them the steady run.

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

The Soft Bulletin

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 04:22 PM
I think the Lips last 2 are perfect from begining to end.... their next one could be one that gives them the steady run.

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

The Soft Bulletin

I agree completely. The Soft Bulletin and Pavement's Wowee Zowee are perhaps the two most underrated albums of the last decade. Diehard fans of both bands found these two albums to be something of a letdown. I think Wowee Zowee may be my favorite album since The White Album--it's that good IMO; absolute tour de force.

pedro
04-20-2005, 04:29 PM
I agree completely. The Soft Bulletin and Pavement's Wowee Zowee are perhaps the two most underrated albums of the last decade. Diehard fans of both bands found these two albums to be something of a letdown. I think Wowee Zowee may be my favorite album since The White Album--it's that good IMO; absolute tour de force.

I LOVE both those albums.

One night WOY and I went to see Pavemnet and Calexico in San Franscisco.

I left with the firm belief that Grave Architecture might just be the greatest song ever.

It was so good we went again the next night.

As for the White Album I loaded some tracks from that onto my MP3 player when I went back east last month. I must have listened to Rocky Racoon 40 times. It just never gets old. Genious.

RFS62
04-20-2005, 04:35 PM
The Yardbirds had a nice little run in the '60's

pedro
04-20-2005, 04:47 PM
M2 mentioned Bowie earlier but not the run I would have.

Hunky Dory
The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Aladdin Sane
Diamond Dogs

I might even include Young Americans & Station to Station and just connect runs.

But I am a fan.

I didn;t count Pin Ups b/c it's a covers album

zombie-a-go-go
04-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Outkast does reek of brilliance.

Yes.

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
ATLiens
Aquemini
Stankonia
Present...
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Also: X

Los Angeles
Wild Gift
Under the Big Black Sun
More Fun in the New World

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Yes.

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
ATLiens
Aquemini
Stankonia
Present...
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Also: X

Los Angeles
Wild Gift
Under the Big Black Sun
More Fun in the New World

Good lord, how could we forget X?!

pedro
04-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Steely Dan

Can't Buy a Thrill
Countdown to Ecstasy
Pretzel Logic
Katy Lied
The Royal Scam
Aja

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 04:54 PM
M2 mentioned Bowie earlier but not the run I would have.

Hunky Dory
The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Aladdin Sane
Diamond Dogs

I might even include Young Americans & Station to Station and just connect runs.

But I am a fan.

I didn;t count Pin Ups b/c it's a covers album

I think that was me: I love the Eno-produced stuff, the Krautrock influence stuff.

pedro
04-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Good lord, how could we forget X?!

CMJ (college music journal) described them as a a soiled, cracked polaroid of Los Angeles in the early eighties.

I love them.

pedro
04-20-2005, 04:56 PM
I think that was me: I love the Eno-produced stuff, the Krautrock influence stuff.

I do too, but I love the glam as well.

Hunky Dory rocks the world.

WOY used to have a poster of the cover of the Diamond Dogs album. Creeped me out.

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 05:03 PM
I do too, but I love the glam as well.

Hunky Dory rocks the world.

WOY used to have a poster of the cover of the Diamond Dogs album. Creeped me out.

No doubt, to me it's like choosing which arm I like better. And Mick Ronson's one of the greatest guitarists ever.

pedro
04-20-2005, 05:05 PM
No doubt, to me it's like choosing which arm I like better. And Mick Ronson's one of the greatest guitarists ever.

I also love Earl Slick's work on "David Live". Amazing.

Moonage Daydream rips my head off.

westofyou
04-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Love Earl Slick, he was the guitar player on the Modern Love tour after, Stevie Ray got famous and split the band.

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 05:12 PM
I also love Earl Slick's work on "David Live". Amazing.

Moonage Daydream rips my head off.

Speaking of kicka$$ guitar players, no one's mentioned Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic fame (Maggot Brain, et al)--his riff on the song "No Head No Backstage Pass" is my favorite riff of all time, ALL time--it's utterly byzantine. I still have no idea how he played it.

M2
04-20-2005, 05:18 PM

I love that stuff. Supposedly it was influenced heavily by Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer. Even Bowie's powder blue suit stuff is pretty good and his modern stuff if amazing. He's probably evolved better than any rock act ever.

pedro
04-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Love Earl Slick, he was the guitar player on the Modern Love tour after, Stevie Ray got famous and split the band.

He was also a member of eighties trio "Phantom, Rocker & Slick" with Bass Player from "The Stray Cats"

pedro
04-20-2005, 05:33 PM
I love that stuff. Supposedly it was influenced heavily by Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer. Even Bowie's powder blue suit stuff is pretty good and his modern stuff if amazing. He's probably evolved better than any rock act ever.

I saw him in a club in Atlanta about 1999. It was awesome. Much better than the "glass spider" tour. Although he did duet "Closer" with Trent Reznor on that one.

I like how he's been covering pixies and big black songs.

"Hate Paste" by Archers of Loaf on launchcast right now. Last song was Barbar Mandrell & George Jones doing "I was country when country wasn't cool"

That's some range.

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I saw him in a club in Atlanta about 1999. It was awesome. Much better than the "glass spider" tour. Although he did duet "Closer" with Trent Reznor on that one.

I like how he's been covering pixies and big black songs.

"Hate Paste" by Archers of Loaf on launchcast right now. Last song was Barbar Mandrell & George Jones doing "I was country when country wasn't cool"

That's some range.

George Jones: The Possum.

When I lived in Nashville for a year, George Jones was involved in two highly publicized drunk driving accidents, once driving his truck off a small creek bridge.

pedro
04-20-2005, 05:42 PM

When I lived in Nashville for a year, George Jones was involved in two highly publicized drunk driving accidents, once driving his truck off a small creek bridge.

WOY and I are big fans. WOY went and saw him a few years back.

Did you know that "He stopped loving her today" was voted best county song by CMA in 1980 and 1981?

westofyou
04-20-2005, 05:43 PM

I have 19 George Jones CD's and have seen him 3 times, he's my Frank Sinatra, his voice knocks me on my back. I particularly dig 1968-1984 Jones.

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 05:44 PM
WOY and I are big fans. WOY went and saw him a few years back.

Did you know that "He stopped loving her today" was voted best county song by CMA in 1980 and 1981?

He had a line of dog food in the Nashville area named Ole Roy.

pedro
04-20-2005, 05:46 PM
They were playing Tammy Wynette when I went out to breakfast this morning.

"I don't want to play house"

Then I heard "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" this afternoon on launchcast.

I'm pretty sure the "Tammy" movies from the 50's/60's aren't about her.

westofyou
04-20-2005, 05:46 PM
My wife's GM is a big old time country fan, really schooled us in the classic stuff, my cousin is the executive producer for ACL and he inspired us to dig deeper into the Texas scene, there's a wealth of stuff out of there. Steve Earl, Towns Van Zant, Charlie Robinson, Guy Clarke etc..

If you ever get a chance to see Loretta... do it.

pedro
04-20-2005, 05:47 PM
He had a line of dog food in the Nashville area named Ole Roy.

nice.

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 05:51 PM
I really love that old country stuff too, but man "Hi-tech Redneck" is hard to stomach.

pedro
04-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Silver Jews

American Water
Bright Flight

only two in this run but they are both so exceptional that you have to put it out there.

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Needless to say, when I used to smoke, I'd sing to my wife on the way out the door: "Stopped off at the QuikSak for some beer and cigarettes/ the old man took my money as he stared at my Corvette"; then I'd proceed to get in my Honda Accord.

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Silver Jews

American Water
Bright Flight

only two in this run but they are both so exceptional that you have to put it out there.

OH no, Natural Bridge RUUUUULES! I knew the guy in Nashville who owned the Hum Depot, the place Bright Flight was recorded.

pedro
04-20-2005, 05:58 PM
OH no, Natural Bridge RUUUUULES! I knew the guy in Nashville who owned the Hum Depot, the place Bright Flight was recorded.

I thought that was before Starlite Walker, which I'm not that fond of. I could be wrong though. They are great. I especially like American Water.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Modest Mouse (or have they)

Falls City Beer
04-20-2005, 06:07 PM
I thought that was before Starlite Walker, which I'm not that fond of. I could be wrong though. They are great. I especially like American Water.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Modest Mouse (or have they)

No, Starlite Walker is the first, and a clunker, I agree. Any album containing the lyric "We saw BB King on General Hospital" has to be one of the greats.

pedro
04-20-2005, 06:15 PM
No, Starlite Walker is the first, and a clunker, I agree. Any album containing the lyric "We saw BB King on General Hospital" has to be one of the greats.

Berman's a lyrical master.

I thought it was funny that some arab group hacked their site a few years back not knowng they were a rock band.

I went inot a record store once and asked ofr their new album. The clerk said "sorry dude we don't have any Silverjuice".

Falls City Beer
04-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Smog:

Red Apple Falls
Knock Knock
Dongs of Sevotion

Falls City Beer
04-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Berman's a lyrical master.

I thought it was funny that some arab group hacked their site a few years back not knowng they were a rock band.

I went inot a record store once and asked ofr their new album. The clerk said "sorry dude we don't have any Silverjuice".

I've had several people remark that I look like Berman: I'm 6'6", thin, bearded, and Jewish.

M2
04-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Wedding Present

George Best
Tommy
Bizarro
Seamonsters
Hit Parade 1
Hit Parade 2
Watusi

wheels
04-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Wedding Present

George Best
Tommy
Bizarro
Seamonsters
Hit Parade 1
Hit Parade 2
Watusi

They're playing at Little Brothers (in Columbus) in May.

Can't wait.

savafan
04-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Garth Brooks

Garth Brooks
No Fences
Ropin' the Wind
The Chase
In Pieces

Guns 'N' Roses

Appetite for Destruction
Lies
Use Your Illusion 1
Use Your Illusion 2

pedro
04-23-2005, 02:38 AM
I can't believe we've left this band out. They ruled the early 80's.

The Police

Outlandos D' Amour
Regatta De Blanc
Zenyatta Mondatta
Ghost in The Machine
Synchronicity

pedro
04-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Dylan

62-69
74-75