PDA

View Full Version : How do you peruse Redszone?

gonelong
04-20-2005, 10:39 AM
I have been wondering how other posters go about checking out the threads on the forum. I am hoping to find out something about the forum that I didn't realize was available.

My method is pretty basic.

I have a bookmark straight to the baseball forum.

I have the threads ordered with the newest first. I find the oldest thread I have not read and then read them all. I utilize the << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> links at the top of the page to hit the next thread.

Something like this progression:
http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7 (forumdisplay.php?f=7)
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33683
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33683&goto=nextnewest

GL

westofyou
04-20-2005, 10:45 AM
I have the new posts button tabbed on my Firefox browser, hit tab brings up last posts since I was last on the site.

Redsland
04-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Like GL, I bookmark the BB forum and read everything that's flagged as new. Then I hit the other forums and repeat until I'm caught up.

Red Leader
04-20-2005, 11:51 AM
I have bookmarked the baseball side as well.

I hit "new posts" at the top of the screen and see everything (in all forums) that are new since I last visited.

westofyou
04-20-2005, 12:07 PM
One thing I would like AND I bet it would save bandwith is a NEW POST button that is forum specific. Thus not the frigging site is being searched and displayed when that button is hit.

I'd like to see just baseball threads in one list and just non baseball in another

TeamCasey
04-20-2005, 12:12 PM
I never knew that button even existed until now. You're right. It should be forum specific.

RedFanAlways1966
04-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Mr. Old Fashioned here! I open the RZ homepage and go from there. No rhyme or reason (as some would say about my posts I am sure!).

:D

Red Leader
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
One thing I would like AND I bet it would save bandwith is a NEW POST button that is forum specific. Thus not the frigging site is being searched and displayed when that button is hit.

I'd like to see just baseball threads in one list and just non baseball in another

I agree with this. I would like the "new posts" button at the top of the page to be forum specific as to what forum you are hitting it from. That would be super cool. I've always wondered why that option didn't exist. I'm sure it would save on bandwidth as well, but not sure if it could be implemented on vBulletin.

gonelong
04-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Boss originally put up the << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> at the top and bottom of each page at my request. I love it, it makes it very quick for me to jump threads and get through the site in the least amount of time.

What would be super-neato would be links there that would take you to the next thread AND the first unread post of said thread. It would save tons of bandwith from my point of view as I click from thread-to-thread using those nav links and the first thing I do on the next thread is click "View First Unread".

Basically I want one click from any thread to the first unread post on the next thread.

Is there currently any way to pull this off by some user setting? If someone shows me how, its a $10 donation to Redzone from me.

Failing that, I'll become a full Gold-Member subscriber/donator if someone can get that hacked onto the forum for me.

<< First Unread Previous Thread | First Unread Next Thread >>

I'd think that this would cut the bandwith I personally consume roughly in half.

GL

bucksfan
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I just have it display threads with newest posts 1st, then I scan form there. My link is to the forums page. Most of the time I jump right to Baseball, but sometimes will look at Non-baseball or HOF. I don't view every "unread by me" thread. I judge by title/poster/preview whether to view.

KronoRed
04-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I have the main page bookmarked, when I arrive, I first open each forum in a tab, then open all new posts in tabs..then I read :D

Red Leader
04-20-2005, 02:12 PM
I have the main page bookmarked, when I arrive, I first open each forum in a tab, then open all new posts in tabs..then I read :D

Bandwidth sucker! :laugh:

zombie-a-go-go
04-20-2005, 02:16 PM
With my computer, har-har-har.

Randomly.

KronoRed
04-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Bandwidth sucker! :laugh:
Not really, I'm gonna open them anyway..and I don't open them all at once, I wait for each to load :p:

ws1990reds
04-20-2005, 02:47 PM
I do this:

1 - head to the bb forum and read the new/old threads that look interesting.

2 - head to non-sports forum

3 - (just started doing this) head to the Hall Of Fame forum

I spend WAY too much time on the internet as it is. Should I speak to Al Gore?

zombie-a-go-go
04-20-2005, 02:48 PM
3 - (just started doing this) head to the Hall Of Fame forum

I spend WAY too much time on the internet as it is. Should I speak to Al Gore?

The HOF won't take up much of your time, promise. *snortle*

RosieRed
04-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Mr. Old Fashioned here! I open the RZ homepage and go from there. No rhyme or reason (as some would say about my posts I am sure!).

:D

I do the same.

I've never even noticed the "new posts" option, and I don't use the previous/next threads links either. I jump around from forum to forum, and just browse.