PDA

View Full Version : Where Is Brandon Larson???

Moonlite Graham
04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Was chatting with a buddy of mine last night about the major upgrade of Randa over Larson at 3rd base and it got us to wondering......

Just where is Brandon now?

I know he got cut very early on in ST by Tampa Bay but have done a quick scan of AAA rosters and couldnt locate him.

Is he out of baseball?

I know someone on here will know.

Thanks

Moon.

2001MUgrad
04-20-2005, 10:01 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25013&item=5187706716&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I guess he is living in that cabin in the woods??

Redsland
04-20-2005, 10:10 AM
The Baseball Cube shows nothing for 2005. minorLB.com isn't searchable yet.

Unassisted
04-20-2005, 10:23 AM
He was reassigned to the D-Rays ml camp on March 9.

This April 3 article (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050403/SPORTS0101/504030333/1007/SPORTS) makes it sound like he should be with AAA Durham, but I don't see him on the roster there.

We need Scooby Doo to solve this mystery. Are there any abandoned amusement parks in Durham? :D

Moonlite Graham
04-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Weve got bet of a 12 pack of your beer of choice (price no object) for which one of us can find the whereabouts of Brandon first.

He doesnt know I have you guys as a resource, but as it looks now Mr. Brandon Larson is M.I.A.

Better jump in Mr. Peabody's Way Back Machine to find just when Brandon vanished off the face of the earth.

Redsland
04-20-2005, 10:52 AM
We need Scooby Doo to solve this mystery. Are there any abandoned amusement parks in Durham? :D
R'm rot roing rown rhere, Unarissted.

:scared:

Az. Reds Fan
04-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, he's definately not with TB

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Signed 3B Eric Munson, OF Alex Sanchez and C Richard Sweeney. Released RHPs John Benedetti, Brian Bulger, Mark Comolli, Tim Coward, Jon Dobyns, Jason Girdner, Nick Gor, Kyle Kane, Ryan McCally, Travis Minix, Matt Parker, Chad Redfern, Andy Weimer and Phillip Wilson, OFs Brian Buchanan, Nate Dion, Tom Goodwin, Stephen Jones, Adam Olow and Blake Schultz, 2B Chad Cooper, Cs Brent Cordell, Russ Jacobson, Dan Massiatte and Brent Speigner, LHPs Robert Cramer, Aaron Gangi, Tim King, Denny Neagle and John Price and 3B Brandon Larson.

CincyFalcon
04-20-2005, 10:58 AM
If I remember right, last night at the game, the lady interviewed on the jumbotron from the Sofa-Express couch claimed Brandon Larson was her favorite Red. He became my favorite too, right after he left.

Redsland
04-20-2005, 11:10 AM
According to last year's media guide, he lives in San Antonio. A quick search of the local papers revealed no recent stories.

Bobcat J
04-20-2005, 11:41 AM
It looks like Larson is not playing right now. From 4-19-2005 Fort Worth Star Telegram:

"The Rangers are also considering signing third baseman Brandon Larson to a minor league contract. He was the Reds' first-round pick in 1997 and has played 109 major league games for them with a .179 average."

Sorry I couldn't provide a link. I found the article using Westlaw.

Moonlite Graham
04-20-2005, 12:08 PM
If that article was from yesterdays FW paper then that tells me what I need to know.

I got 12 Pilsner Urquell's coming my way :beerme:

Unassisted
04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Link to BobcatJ's Larson news
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/11431780.htm

Registration required, or borrow a login from bugmenot.com.

ws1990reds
04-20-2005, 01:35 PM
If I remember right, last night at the game, the lady interviewed on the jumbotron from the Sofa-Express couch claimed Brandon Larson was her favorite Red. He became my favorite too, right after he left.

That won't earn you any brownie points around here. :help:

Matt700wlw
04-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Last I heard, he was cut from the Devil Rays (no link..sorry)

redsfan30
04-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I bet he winds up in Japan.

RedsFan74
04-20-2005, 02:51 PM
R'm rot roing rown rhere, Unarissted.

:scared:

Would you do it for a Scooby snack??

TheManWith3Legs
04-20-2005, 03:15 PM
My guess is still trying to remove his cranium from his rectum.

Fil3232
04-20-2005, 05:44 PM

I was at the game with some buddies and when the lady said that we all kind of looked at each other and wondered if we had heard that correctly. The response really caught the young lady hosting the promotion off guard and provided my buddies and me some good laughs.

Carter
04-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Makes one wonder what kind of offers were made for Larson when his stock was at its all time high. Didn't the Rockies express interest?

Unassisted
04-20-2005, 06:20 PM
I was at the game with some buddies and when the lady said that we all kind of looked at each other and wondered if we had heard that correctly. The response really caught the young lady hosting the promotion off guard and provided my buddies and me some good laughs.As one of the board's biggest Larson apologists last year, I would have loved to have seen that. :lol:

crazybob60
04-21-2005, 02:23 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25013&item=5187706716&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I guess he is living in that cabin in the woods??

The description on this item cracks me up!!! They said they found it in a rumpke dumpster or something???

Joseph
04-28-2005, 05:35 PM
STILL KICKING - Former Reds third baseman Brandon Larson, recently released by the Devil Rays' organization, has found a new home. Larson signed a minor league contract with the Texas Rangers last week and was to be assigned to their Class AA Frisco club, but still has not appeared in a game.

The other former Reds bust who signed with the Devil Rays in the offseason, right-hander Jimmy Haynes, has been reassigned to the organization's short-season Hudson Valley team in the New York-Penn League - generally a place for young, recently drafted players. Haynes, 32, had spent the first few weeks of the season with the Durham Bulls, Tampa Bay's Class AAA team

There you have it.

Unassisted
04-28-2005, 05:45 PM
There you have it.Nice gig for Brandon, since he hails from San Antonio. Frisco just played a series here last week.

KronoRed
04-28-2005, 05:50 PM
AA huh? he should kill that stuff since he was good in AAA

smith288
04-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Haynes needs to hang them up... It would be like going to middle school when you are 19.

TOBTTReds
04-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Haynes should try to play OF, he could hit

KronoRed
04-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Haynes needs to hang them up... It would be like going to middle school when you are 19.

Well at least he'll be cool because he's the only one who can drive then ;)

Raisor
04-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Well at least he'll be cool because he's the only one who can drive then ;)

Heck, Jimmah might be the only guy in that league who can buy beer.

He'll be the most popular guy on the team.

Unassisted
07-08-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/baseball/missions/stories/MYSA070807.07C.COL.BBOking.larson.2fe6807.html

Life after baseball a sudden reality for Larson

Web Posted: 07/07/2007 09:38 PM CDT
San Antonio Express-News

For the first time in almost a decade, Brandon Larson isn't taking batting practice this afternoon.

He won't be stretching, or playing long toss in the outfield, or flagging down grounders at third base.

Brandon Larson, ballplayer, is unemployed.

Larson, who starred at Holmes and LSU, was the most valuable player at the 1997 College World Series and was a first-round draft pick by the Cincinnati Reds, was released by the Washington Nationals organization late last month. He had been playing third base for the Harrisburg (Pa.) Senators in the Double-A Eastern League

"It was very, very surprising," Larson said from his apartment in Harrisburg, which he can occupy until the end of July. "I really didn't receive a reason as to why. It's not like they told me I was underperforming or anything. It's just something the manager said he had to do."

Turns out that the Nationals' front office, which is trying to rebuild the wrecked franchise from the ground up, simply wanted to have more young players and fewer veterans in the farm system. In the span of a week, eight players were released off the Double-A and Triple-A rosters. Larson, at 31, was among the oldest, and he had the most big-league experience, 109 games from 2001-04.

"That's the nature of the beast, that's the nature of baseball," said Larson, who was with his fourth organization since signing with the Reds in '97. "It's really a business instead of the game you once played as a kid."

He is surprisingly philosophical for a guy who has gone from the 14th overall pick in the draft — two spots ahead of Lance Berkman — to one who appreciated but declined a recent offer from an independent-league ballclub.

It's the result of 10 tumultuous years in the game. In that decade, Larson has hit 20 or more homers in a season four times and topped 70 RBIs four times as well. But he also suffered a string of injuries that derailed his shots at the majors, and he posted big strikeout totals (an average of almost one per game) at every level along the way.

He was released by the Reds after the 2004 season, when he hit .212 in 40 games in the majors. He spent the next spring with Tampa Bay, but was let go before the season started and wound up playing 34 games in the Texas Rangers' farm system. He appeared in 117 games with the Nationals' Triple-A club last year, hitting 20 homers and driving in 76 runs — but then was sent to Double-A at the end of spring training.

"I've learned in my career — whether it's over or not — that you get caught off-guard a lot in this game as a player," Larson said. "I've learned to take the good with the bad, and to just realize that I've still got my health and I've got my family, and at the end of the day that's a lot more than anything, you know?"

He sounds like a guy who's ready to be done. He had his shot, and even if he never became the player the Reds expected, he got to draw a paycheck for playing ball for 10 years, including parts of four seasons in the majors.

And in fact, baseball will continue to pay even if he does come home to San Antonio later this month. Part of his first contract with the Reds included an agreement that the organization would pay for him to finish college. He had about three semesters left on a degree, and he might be interested in coaching once he is finished.

"I'm kind of looking at this as a blessing in disguise," Larson said of his release. "My career was pretty much at a dead end in this organization, to be honest."

If his career is indeed over, then he went out with a flourish — in his next-to-last at-bat, he hit a home run, the 161st of his professional career. In his last, he struck out to end the game.

mbgrayson
07-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Sad story....

Here are Brandon larson's stats...http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brandon%2520Larson&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=276053 (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Brandon%2520Larson&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=276053)

He was hitting .238 with 8 HRs in 189 ABs in AA.

Phhhl
07-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Sad, but what Larson said is true. He got paid to play baseball for 10 years of his life. That's not all bad.

Team Clark
07-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Larson is a Harrisburg Senator. Playing in the Eastern League he is hitting .238. Not too good.

8 HR 18 RBI .289 OBP .413 SLG and a whopping .702 OPS Good luck ol' friend.

Unassisted
04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3623849

Somerset Patriots Re-Sign Third Baseman Brandon Larson
04/15/08 - Atlantic League (AtL) Somerset Patriots

Bridgewater, NJ - The Three-Time Atlantic League Champion Somerset Patriots have announced the re-signing of third baseman Brandon Larson.

Larson hit .333 with 23 runs scored, six doubles, six home runs, and 27 RBI for Somerset during the 2007 season.

Larson hit .321 with seven runs scored, nine hits, a double, three home runs, and ten RBI in seven playoff games last season.

Larson played in 109 Major League games with the Cincinnati Reds, including 40 during the 2004 season.

He began the 2007 season at the Triple-A level for the Washington Nationals in New Orleans.

Larson spent the 2006 season playing for New Orleans and had a batting average of .268 with 20 home runs, 76 RBI and 102 hits in 380 at-bats.

Larson has a minor league career batting average of .285 with 159 home runs, 556 RBI, nine triples, 178 doubles, 849 hits in 810 games.

"We are very excited to welcome Brandon back for the 2008 season. He was a big reason why we made the playoffs and really led the offense in the post season. We look for him to be in the middle of our lineup and be a real leader on the field," said Patrick McVerry, President/ General Manager of the Somerset Patriots Baseball Club.

The 2008 Somerset Patriots will begin at Commerce Bank Ballpark on Friday, April 25th. Tickets for all 70 home games are now on sale for the upcoming All-Star Season. For more information, call (908) 252-0700 or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.

Unassisted
05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Richard Oliver: Larson takes his swings at a new passion (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Richard-Oliver-Larson-takes-his-swings-at-a-new-1390277.php)

It's been three years since Brandon Larson last picked up a bat for professional pay. But there are times at the grocery store when he just can't help himself.

The former Cincinnati Reds farmhand, to his wife's chagrin, will grab a loaf of bread and start swinging it.

"She'll just look at me and shake her head," said Larson, who turns 35 next week. "I just can't help it."

It's an understandable habit for the former Holmes standout.

A ferocious hitter, from high school through his final at-bat for the independent Somerset Patriots of the Atlantic League, Larson could swing a bat — or baked goods — with a sweet stroke born of natural talent and an uncommon work ethic.

Today, despite his itch to again play the game he has loved since prowling San Antonio's amateur fields, Larson is passing along that passion to others who harbor those same dreams.

It's a quest that continues again this morning when he'll oversee morning workouts at Warren High School for current and hopeful members of two select baseball teams he'll coach this summer.

Larson, currently finishing up his degree at UTSA, is eyeing a career as a college coach.

reds44
05-22-2011, 07:27 PM
God he's 35? I'm getting old.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Hate to see someone get that close to the show and miss out. Best of luck to him.

Ghosts of 1990
05-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Hate to see someone get that close to the show and miss out. Best of luck to him.

Once homered off the Big Unit Randy Johnson... I think it was an oppo bomb too. Not a bad thing to be able to tell your kids and friends about

savafan
05-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Once homered off the Big Unit Randy Johnson... I think it was an oppo bomb too. Not a bad thing to be able to tell your kids and friends about

No kidding. The guy who started this thread only got a half inning and never stepped to the plate in the majors. :)

kaldaniels
05-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Yeah I guess I phrased that wrong, I knew he got his cup of coffee, but it is a shame he never stuck.

LvJ
05-24-2011, 03:22 PM

I remember that.

Ah. Cheers, Larson. :beerme:

medford
05-24-2011, 03:39 PM
going back in the thread a bit, I see several post from Team Clark. where is he these days, haven't seen him post in a while, he was always good for solid information about the game/team.