PDA

View Full Version : Country's Best Cup of Coffee?

savafan
04-21-2005, 10:51 PM
I did threads a while back on the country's best donuts and ice cream and enjoyed doing my "research" on other posters' replies. So, now I'm seeking your opinions on who has the country's best cup of coffee? I look forward to doing more research on this topic.

Red in Chicago
04-21-2005, 10:54 PM
i'm partial to starbucks venti mocha with an extra shot of espresso :beerme:

westofyou
04-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Peets

peets.com

RBA
04-21-2005, 10:55 PM
McDonald's?

savafan
04-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I probably should pipe in here. Right now I really like the Chocolate Buddha at Dino's in Yellow Springs.

eupher
04-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Tully's would get my vote!

RosieRed
04-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Crazy as it sounds, the diner-type restaurant at the Sahara in Las Vegas has incredible coffee. We talked about how good that coffee was for days.

At the least, it was incredible at 4 a.m. after a night out on the town. ;)

RANDY IN INDY
04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Dunkin' Donuts does a "mean" cup of coffee.

RedFanAlways1966
04-22-2005, 08:01 AM
McDonald's?

One that I have always liked. They seem to make it strong and that is okay by me. I usually drink only the McD's, UDF, Dairy Mart type of coffees. I will not "buy into" the ridiculous prices of the Starbuck's thing. I find it amazing that so many others have. I have tried Starbuck's. No way is the price worth the taste. It must be the Economics degree in me.

If I am not driving to work and stopping at a convenience store, I prefer fresh brewed coffee at home on the weekend. I will buy Guatamalan (sp?) from the coffee store at the local Mall.

Roy Tucker
04-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Anywhere I can get Kona coffee.

wheels
04-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Anywhere I can get Kona coffee.

I was about to say that.

I stocked up in Kauai.

TeamDunn
04-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Years ago White Castle had a big chunk of the coffee market around here. I guess since they were open 24 hours and the truckers had no choice. Now it seems like Starbucks is.

GIK
04-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Dutch Brothers

dutchbros.com

RedsFan75
04-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Want a great cup try the Daily Grind in Williamsburg!

Friend of mine runs it, fresh coffee from a local roaster.

Oh... BTW.. Starbucks is overroasted.

CaiGuy
04-22-2005, 10:38 AM
My home town has a fancy specialty coffeehouse. They Gourmet import coffee from all over the world. It is great coffee. They got in a binding from thelate 1800's and abolutely pimped it out. It has a great atmosphere. The downer: it's like 4 bucks a coffee. But it's worth it.

KronoRed
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM
All coffee tastes the same to me, I'll just pick the cheapest :D

RedsBaron
04-22-2005, 02:22 PM
If I have a headache because of a lack of caffeine, there is no such thing as a bad cup of coffee.

Big Donkey
04-22-2005, 02:32 PM
One that I have always liked. They seem to make it strong and that is okay by me. I usually drink only the McD's, UDF, Dairy Mart type of coffees. I will not "buy into" the ridiculous prices of the Starbuck's thing. I find it amazing that so many others have. I have tried Starbuck's. No way is the price worth the taste. It must be the Economics degree in me.

If I am not driving to work and stopping at a convenience store, I prefer fresh brewed coffee at home on the weekend. I will buy Guatamalan (sp?) from the coffee store at the local Mall.

Amen to that, brother. I NEVER could understand the fascination with Starbuck's. I tried it one day when going out for lunch with a friend, and not only is it ridiculously priced, it tasted like someone put their sweat socks in it after running for five straight days throughout the streets of Calcutta. And then left the same brew sitting in the pot for five days.

I also have been partial, as simple as it may seem, to the McDonald's coffee all these years, and UDF and Dairy Mart and Speedway are all ok to me too.

That is, if I am not making the coffee myself. Mine's still the best. :D

westofyou
04-22-2005, 02:36 PM
it tasted like someone put their sweat socks in it after running for five straight days throughout the streets of Calcutta. And then left the same brew sitting in the pot for five days.

That's what real coffe taste like, the coffee you've been drinking are medium roasts, not dark so there is the main difference.

I find Starbucks too weak for my taste, I get it with at least 1 shot of espresso.

Lifes too short for bad coffee IMO.

savafan
04-22-2005, 06:43 PM
McDonald's does have pretty good coffee, as does Waffle House. Once drank 24 cups one night at a Waffle House before they cut me off. The menu said bottomless cup of coffee...

TeamCasey
04-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Depends on your coffee purpose.

Road trip/Long drive coffee - McDonalds or BP

Hoity Toity coffee - not an expert. I like the coffee at Borders .... but it just goes along with the atmosphere.

TeamCasey
04-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Here's the real question: what coffee do you buy for home use?

If you care about my retirement, you'll say Folger's or Millstone.

(I'll understand if you choose Maxwell House though. :) )

westofyou
04-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Here's the real question: what coffee do you buy for home use?

If you care about my retirement, you'll say Folger's or Millstone.

(I'll understand if you choose Maxwell House though. :) )

Peets

savafan
04-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I have Folger's at home

Big Donkey
04-22-2005, 07:39 PM
McDonald's does have pretty good coffee, as does Waffle House. Once drank 24 cups one night at a Waffle House before they cut me off. The menu said bottomless cup of coffee...

savafan, I'm a big Waffle House fan as well, I can't believe their coffee slipped my mind. I see Miamisburg next to your name, do you frequent the WH on 725?

savafan
04-22-2005, 07:49 PM
savafan, I'm a big Waffle House fan as well, I can't believe their coffee slipped my mind. I see Miamisburg next to your name, do you frequent the WH on 725?

I've been there a couple times, once things get squared away with a new job I'll have more time to myself again for the House.

Rojo
04-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Not crazy about Peet's, too bitter. Its hard to find the real strong coffee without the bitterness and, no, they aren't the same thing.

westofyou
04-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Not crazy about Peet's, too bitter.

Not as bitter as Royal Coffee in Oakland though.

NoCalRed
04-22-2005, 08:10 PM
That's what real coffe taste like, the coffee you've been drinking are medium roasts, not dark so there is the main difference.

I find Starbucks too weak for my taste, I get it with at least 1 shot of espresso.

Lifes too short for bad coffee IMO.

Years ago there was a coffee house I used to go to in the Mission district, can not remember the name now, that made a coffee called a hammerheard. It was a pint glass filled about 3/4 full of dark roast coffee then added a shot of espresso in it, I swear after drinkin that I would have quite the buzz. Now I get my coffee from a little local shop called deafdog (http://www.deafdogcoffeeonline.com/) I love it strong flavor and not too bitter.

Rojo
04-22-2005, 09:08 PM
I think there's a place called "Muddy Waters" in the Mission. Could that be it?

And, WOY, Royal Coffee isn't my cup of tea either.

Lappert's, primarily an ice cream company makes pretty good coffee. Most of the hotels in SF serve it.

NoCalRed
04-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes Rojo I believe that is it, and by the way I had a typo in my post there it should read hammerhead not hammerheard. :)

SunDeck
04-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Cup a Joe in Raleigh.

Falls City Beer
04-22-2005, 11:56 PM
I agree with with whoever said Dunkin' Donuts. I go outta my way to get the stuff.

WVRedsFan
04-23-2005, 12:14 AM
The absolute best is that served by The Greenbrier resort in White Sulphur Springs, WV. None compares.

For regular places, I am always amazed at the coffee at Cracker Barrell.