PDA

View Full Version : 4-24 Finale with the Fish -- no WMP

Pages : 1 [2]

RedSchmo2
04-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Here's the concern with Graves. When he was an effective closer 4 years ago he was excellent at inducing ground balls and rarely ever walked anyone. He worked on the corners all the time, gave up a lot of singles, but followed them with double play balls.

Now, he walks people regularly. When he misses, he often misses by 2 feet. I don't know if you've noticed, but most of his outs are fly balls this year. This is a formula for disaster for a closer. He blew more saves than anyone in the league last year, and he will again this year if he stays the closer.

Mutaman
04-24-2005, 04:51 PM
I would have still disagreed with the move, even if Jimenez hit a sac fly. I would rather play for more than just the one run.

Good for you, you're entitled to your opinion even though it goes against established strategy. But how can you call Miley "stupid" for doing what most other managers would have done? Indeed playing for more than one run with an offense that is mired in a big slump on the road in the top of the ninth, doesn't seem like the smartest thing do do.

Maybe you're right, reasonable men can disagree. But calling Miley "stupid " in that situation, just like the guy who called him "dumb" in the no-brainer hit-away situation yesterday, makes me wonder.

PuffyPig
04-24-2005, 05:53 PM
You mean besides the two walks?

No, even considering the 2 walks.

You will note that I said he looked better today, not that his results were better.

And it's not like there's a whole list of "lights out" innings to compare him too this season.

His "stuff" was clearly better today.

PuffyPig
04-24-2005, 05:58 PM
I would have still disagreed with the move, even if Jimenez hit a sac fly. I would rather play for more than just the one run.

It's not like bunting there means you can't score more than 1 run. It just increases the chance that you will score one.

One run in that case is huge.

I'm guessing that Miley (and every other manager in baseball)would have an opinion on your suggestion that you wouldn't take 1 run in that situation.

One other thing. Bunting actually may increase the chances of a big inning. Moving the runner to 3rd brings the infield in, and increases the chances that the other team will, perhaps give an intentioanl walk in there desire to preveny 1 run from scoring. Many a big inning has resulted frrom the defense gambling to prevent 1 run.

OnBaseMachine
04-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Good for you, you're entitled to your opinion even though it goes against established strategy. But how can you call Miley "stupid" for doing what most other managers would have done? Indeed playing for more than one run with an offense that is mired in a big slump on the road in the top of the ninth, doesn't seem like the smartest thing do do.

Maybe you're right, reasonable men can disagree. But calling Miley "stupid " in that situation, just like the guy who called him "dumb" in the no-brainer hit-away situation yesterday, makes me wonder.

I never called Miley "stupid". I said I thought it was a dumb move. There's a difference.

oregonred
04-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Good win today. 1 out of 3 vs. the Fish with Burnett/Kooky Sidewinder on Fri/Sat saves a lost weekend.

How scary good is the marlins staff?

2.32 Team ERA

11 of 19 games they've given up two runs or less
Two more games with three runs
Five games with four runs
And only 1 of 19 games with 5 or more runs (11 vs. the Mets Thursday night)

Most amazing is that they have given up four or less runs in 18/19 games and yet are only 11-8!

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-24-2005, 07:11 PM
i know it wont happen but i would love it if the next time we have a 1 run lead going into the 8th they flipflop graves/wagner-just as an example to grave

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-24-2005, 07:12 PM
graves has been very fortunate--i think everytime he has pitched in the 9th he has a 2 run lead

traderumor
04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
As sure as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, a win is accompanied by an analysis of Graves in the ninth and why he is worthless, while a loss is doing nothing but hastening Armageddon.

I'll say it. Nice to pick up one win when you score a grand total of six runs. Losing streak ends at three. Ryan Wagner is fun to watch. Brandon Claussen would fit in well with some hard throwers in the rotation as our own official soft tossing lefty that knows how to hit a corner other than by accident.

Falls City Beer
04-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Sounds like Claussen did what was asked of a fifth starter, keep the bases largely uncluttered for 5 innings. Hey, it's better than NOT accomplishing this task.