PDA

View Full Version : 4/27 Cubs vs. Reds-Let's Take 2 of 3

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

redsrule2500
04-27-2005, 05:40 PM
With the way the Reds were knocking the ball around this series (except Sean Casey) it sure would have been nice to get WMP in the lineup. But noooooooo.....we had to keep punch and judy casey in there to do absolutely nothing. Miley is, in fact, a complete moron.

Why are you singling out Casey? He has a better average than most people on the team! Griffey is struggling much more than Casey is.

RANDY IN INDY
04-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Bunch a' tater farmers.

Talkin' bout the Reds pitching staff? ;)

westofyou
04-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Why are you singling out Casey? He has a better average than most people on the team! Griffey is struggling much more than Casey is.

Because batting average is nothing if you have a .317 ob% and a .320 slg% that's just sad.

REDREAD
04-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Miley doesnt leave meatballs over the plate.

Miley doesn't do much of anything.. Miley is supposed to be pushing the buttons. Miley was the one that told them to pitch to Lee with 1b open, when a much favorable matchup was coming up. Miley was the one that left Beslisle in to pitch 2 innings, etc.

top6
04-27-2005, 05:55 PM
i haven't really been following too closely this series - but pena's hurt, right? if miley sat pena this whole series and he isn't hurt, then he's officially become my least favorite manager of all time - and that includes bob boone.

someone remind me why we fired jack mckeon again? oh, that's right, all he did was win baseball games.

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Miley doesn't do much of anything.. Miley is supposed to be pushing the buttons. Miley was the one that told them to pitch to Lee with 1b open, when a much favorable matchup was coming up. Miley was the one that left Beslisle in to pitch 2 innings, etc.

Belisle should be able to pitch two innings...he's a starter. He's just not a very good starter.

CTA513
04-27-2005, 06:02 PM

Miley doesnt throw the pitches. If you want to blame someone for the way they are pitching, blame that pitcher or Gullet.

Mutaman
04-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Danny Graves is in the clubhouse now having a closed door team meeting (with arms around Belisle and Milton):

"Don't worry guys. Just like I told Eric, there's no pressure here, man. Its way cool. You just go out there and pitch every once in a while, and if you suck, no big deal. My check still clears. As long as you're a good clubhouse presence, you're safe. Ok, anyone seen my remote control truck? Who lined up the strippers for the party in Milwaukee tomorrow?"

Do you have any facts which would support your charge that Graves thinks this way ? If you do, lets hear them because I don't want a guy on my team that doesn't care about winning and I will start blasting Danny every chance i get. If you are just speculating without any factual support, thats misleading and unfair.

Az Red
04-27-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm most concerned about the pitchers not executing. I guess the debate is: Talent -vs- Coaching. This game should have never gotten to the ninth inning to decide. :bang:

OHHHHHHHH, it's gunna be a long summer!

Ravenlord
04-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Do you have any facts which would support your charge that Graves thinks this way ?it's part of a preseason interview Hal McCoy did with Graves. it's what Graves told Milton for a reason to come to Cincinnati. the check clearing part is fictional. if memory serves the actual quote is:

"I told him there's no pressure here. If you screw-up, it's not the end of the world and you go out and do it again."

Mutaman
04-27-2005, 06:20 PM
it's part of a preseason interview Hal McCoy did with Graves. it's what Graves told Milton for a reason to come to Cincinnati. the check clearing part is fictional. if memory serves the actual quote is:

"I told him there's no pressure here. If you screw-up, it's not the end of the world and you go out and do it again."

Thanks.

realreds1
04-27-2005, 07:03 PM
I'd like to see Miley get rung up at some point. Or pull a Piniella and have Weber plunk somebody, let Larue trash talk them into a fight, and clear the benches. Heck, it worked for the Red Sox last season!

In all seriousness, folks, we need to see some fire in this team. No bullpen jokes please. Seriously, where's the daggone fire? These guys -- except for Freel and Dunn -- look like they're stuck in the slow lane. We need something to help break a few of these games open.

For the love a' Pete Rose, get mad!! Kick somebody!!! Just get yer fire back!!

I'm done now.

RARRR ...

WVRedsFan
04-27-2005, 07:03 PM
I missed the whole game today because I was in a meeting and then forgot to turn on XM to see what the score was. I learned about the game by reading the game thread, so anything I say that might be stupid should be attributed to ignorance...

I said last year when everyone (and virtually everyone was) was saying that Miley deserved and extension that I didn't oppose the extension but that Miley was not the man to take us to the next level. I want to revise that statement at this time.

Miley is not the man to take us to the winning level. He is a "gut" manager in a world nearly every good manager pays attention to a lot of different philosophies to plan and manage games. He is plain and simple a minor leaguer all the way. And he's with us for this season and next. Isn't that encouraging?

I do know that there are few really good managers out there these days. Miley is in a heap of mediocrity in the middle somewhere. Our ability to pay an Eric Milton more than he's worth makes us have to pay a manager peanuts. Regardless of whether or not he's "paid his dues," he doesn't belong in charge of a major league club. Using that philosophy it means that the principal of our local elementary school should be State Superintendent of Schools. He's been there in the "minor leagues" for 30+ years...

Mutaman
04-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Dave Miley won 76 games last year with the worst pitching staff in baseball. When things are not going well fans will blame the manager, the pitching coach, the GM, the hitting coach,ect. I blame the players. We aren't that good.

WVRedsFan
04-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Dave Miley won 76 games last year with the worst pitching staff in baseball. When things are not going well fans will blame the manager, the pitching coach, the GM, the hitting coach,ect. I blame the players. We aren't that good.

I totally agree with your statement, but how many games did we lose because of poor managerial decisions like today?

I once heard a newspaper reporter say that Jim Leyland was good for fifteen wins a year above and beyond the talent of his players. I don't know if it was true (though history seems to bear that out), but that's what I'm talking about. What if the 76 wins became 90 wins? If we had won today we'd be 11-10 instead of 10-11. It all adds up.

flyer85
04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
I think I have it perfect.. Who would want the old ones on our team? even Griff?It doesn't matter, the Reds can't win with them now and won't in the future unless they develop their own pitching ... it is as simple as that.

When you rebuild something you tear it down to the foundation. Dunn Kearns Pena and Wagner is as far as it goes. Everybody else is available.

Falls City Beer
04-27-2005, 07:43 PM
I'll say this: this offense is really starting to come around. They WILL be fun to watch, even if it is in a losing effort. They've got a lot of depth. The Reds scored all these runs in this series without their "second best" offensive player so far this year in Pena.

I'll say this too: Claussen to me seems like an interesting hope in the pitching department--he seems to be able to get a decent amount out of his limited "stuff." He might be someone the pitching staff could rally round if he keeps up his modest success. He seems to have that je ne sais quoi (read: killer instinct) that the rest of this staff lacks (coming back after a rough start against the Cubs last week to stifle them the rest of the way, hanging in with the Marlins quite well). I'm not glowingly optimistic about him and his chances of prolonged success (I happen to be worried about his drop in velocity), but whatever can help shame the rest of this staff is fine with me.

Aronchis
04-27-2005, 07:50 PM
If you really want to rebuild, get rid of the old, resign the young players you want and move on. It will be tough next year, but the 2007 year could really benefit from it as the youngsters go through the fire in 2006.

I would probably sign Dunn,Pena,Kearns,Claussen(hopefully) and Wagner after the season is over and proclaim that this is my core I will build around. But the Reds won't do that.

traderumor
04-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Reds = pre-Marvin Bengals

becoming more and more apparent game after game, season after season

incompetence at all levels

hangers on drawing a few more millions before hanging it up or moving on and getting cut somewhere else after a mediocre stint with the Reds

no clue how to find and develop the most important position in the game (Reds=pitching, pre-Marvin Bengals=QB)

questionable committment to winning by front office

cronies network chosen over best and brightest in key organizational positions

That ought to give a few folks some excuses to come up with ;)

BTW, the solutions should be obvious to those key barometers that are giving us poor readings in the organization.

LvJ
04-27-2005, 10:45 PM
I'll say this: this offense is really starting to come around. They WILL be fun to watch, even if it is in a losing effort. They've got a lot of depth. The Reds scored all these runs in this series without their "second best" offensive player so far this year in Pena.

I'll say this too: Claussen to me seems like an interesting hope in the pitching department--he seems to be able to get a decent amount out of his limited "stuff." He might be someone the pitching staff could rally round if he keeps up his modest success. He seems to have that je ne sais quoi (read: killer instinct) that the rest of this staff lacks (coming back after a rough start against the Cubs last week to stifle them the rest of the way, hanging in with the Marlins quite well). I'm not glowingly optimistic about him and his chances of prolonged success (I happen to be worried about his drop in velocity), but whatever can help shame the rest of this staff is fine with me. Uh, who are you and where is the real FCB? :ughmamoru

CincyRedsFan30
04-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Danny Graves is in the clubhouse now having a closed door team meeting (with arms around Belisle and Milton):

"Don't worry guys. Just like I told Eric, there's no pressure here, man. Its way cool. You just go out there and pitch every once in a while, and if you suck, no big deal. My check still clears. As long as you're a good clubhouse presence, you're safe. Ok, anyone seen my remote control truck? Who lined up the strippers for the party in Milwaukee tomorrow?"

:laugh: :help: