PDA

View Full Version : Reputation System Explained

GIK
05-02-2005, 09:40 PM
One of the new changes at RedsZone is the addition of the built-in vBulletin Reputation Ranking System. Allow me to explain.

When someone registers as a member at RedsZone they begin with a default reputation of 10. These members are free to read any forum, but cannot yet post at Cincinnati Reds Talk. In order to do so they must reach a reputation of 200. The system level outline is:

-50 User is in the Rookie League
-10 User is in Low-A ball
0 User is in High-A ball
10 User is in AA
50 User is in AAA
100 User is a bench warmer
200 User is a pinch hitter
350 User is a utility player
500 User is a starter
750 User is an All Star
1000 User is a Superstar
1500 User is an MVP
2000 User is in the Hall of Fame

Now, you may notice that there are negative levels. A member may be ranked both positively and negatively. This will allow the community, as an initial level, to moderate itself.

Members are assigned reputation values depending upon the Reputation Power of the member who issues that rank. Only members who can post in Cincinnati Reds Talk can effect reputation.

Reputation Power is derived from multiple factors. Not all members assign the same value. For each year a member has been registered they receive 1 Power-Point. For every 2500 posts a member has made they receive 1 Power-Point. Also, for every 100 reputation points a member has themselves they receive 1 Power-Point. A member must also have made 100 posts at RedsZone to issue any reputation score.

From what Boss and I have seen, most reputation power levels are between 5-7 points, while some are as high as 12-15. What this means is that a member with a power value of 10 can assign 10 positive reputation points or 5 negative reputation points (negative rankings are set at 50% of positive). Also, each member may only make 5 rankings per day and cannot rank the same member twice until they rank 15 other members first.

Lastly, members who can post in Cincinnait Reds Talk can lose that privilege. We all know it takes 200 points to gain entrance to CRT. If a member who achieves (or has) that level drops below 100, they will not be able to post in CRT until they reach 200 points again.

This is a lot of info and a brand-new system, so if you have any questions please ask. Boss and I will observe this process closely and if we see a need to edit any factor, we will do so. Consider this a living document until everything is ironed out.

Thanks!
GIK & Boss-Hog

REDREAD
05-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Wow, be nice to Krono, he probably has 100 power points :)

KronoRed
05-02-2005, 09:57 PM
I think we all start at the same point ;)

GIK
05-02-2005, 09:58 PM
In ranking yes, in power no. :)

Redsland
05-02-2005, 09:59 PM
You guys are doing a great job under difficult circumstances.

That said, I think you're weighting post counts too highly. Yes, they should factor in, but I believe that the real contributions to this site happen on the baseball side. Post counts sometimes turn like odometers on the non-baseball side. That doesn't seem right.

Also, I like that you've placed limits on how much voting someone can do against (or for) another poster. That said, 25 votes seems like a lot between re-votes. You're asking members to do a whole lot of voting in order to help new posters move up.

GIK
05-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Redsland, the default setting was 1000 posts. Imagine that! I think we're OK at 2500 for now. We have edited the "re-vote" setting, however. It is now 15 instead of 25.

"Also, each member may only make 5 rankings per day and cannot rank the same member twice until they rank 15 other members first."

Johnny Footstool
05-02-2005, 10:25 PM
How do I check my reputation and power points?

Red Leader
05-02-2005, 10:30 PM
How do I check my reputation and power points?

You can click on the "cloud" to the bottom left of one of your posts to find your reputation points, but I'm not sure how to figure out your "power points"

Joseph
05-02-2005, 10:37 PM
I long to be a utility player.

top6
05-02-2005, 10:52 PM
After tonight (and the last few days), maybe posters with good reputations should be allowed to become fans of a different team. ;)

Just kidding - sounds like a good system to me.

deltachi8
05-02-2005, 10:59 PM
hey, its yor board, but im not into rating systems and such.

have fun guys/

SanDiegoRed
05-02-2005, 11:03 PM
I am a long time member but not a huge poster, I guess I did not make the cut...

Joseph
05-02-2005, 11:19 PM
I am a long time member but not a huge poster, I guess I did not make the cut...

It's about quality mostly, and I'm certain there was nothing personal involved.

Hobo
05-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Wow, I'm at the bottom of the well, someone throw me a rope!

paintmered
05-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Has there been any decision on the number of points needed to gain access to CRT?

Boss-Hog
05-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Has there been any decision on the number of points needed to gain access to CRT? Tentatively it's set at 200.

Red Leader
05-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Has there been any decision on the number of points needed to gain access to CRT?

Not sure, but I think it was 200 points needed. :dunno:

KronoRed
05-02-2005, 11:29 PM
What if for some reason you drop below 200? will you lose access?

flynn78
05-02-2005, 11:31 PM
GIK or Boss,
Why can't I rate? I can't figure it out or I'm not able. Thanks.

Tony Cloninger
05-03-2005, 12:45 AM
There should be a Chico Ruiz rating.

RedTeamGo!
05-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Man, it sure is going to take a long time to get into the CRT forum. What I don't understand is the difference between talking to reds fans in the "elite" forum and talking to reds fans in the "minor league" forum. Afterall we are all just reds fans...

Also, what is a bad post and what is a good post? Is a bad post when you rip on the team or is it when you insult other posters? Or does a "bad" post refer to bad grammar or vulgarity?

To be honest I can't believe all this has happened on one of my favorite websites. I post on a detroit tigers message board called motownsports.com and nothing like this would ever happen on there.

If this is considered a "bad" post I apologize...I am just speaking my mind like I have been taught by my parents as well as where I grew up, the USA...where everyone is equal.

creek14
05-03-2005, 06:55 AM
It's not even 7am and I have already given out all my reputation points for the day (all good). Guess I am out of luck if someone really tinkles me off today. ;)

RedlegJake
05-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Well, it seems okay but also seems like it will be a nightmare for whoever has to tabulate all the points. I'm always amazed at the amount of work that's put into this board by the founders.

GIK
05-03-2005, 08:26 AM
What if for some reason you drop below 200? will you lose access?

If you drop below 100, yes, you will. Remember, this just started. If things needs to be edited after we run this for a bit, they will.

GIK
05-03-2005, 08:29 AM
GIK or Boss,
Why can't I rate? I can't figure it out or I'm not able. Thanks.

Only those with CRT posting access can rate.

GIK
05-03-2005, 08:30 AM
RTG, I appreciate the comments. Boss and I are still learning with this system, but unfortunately, things needed to change after 5 years of RedsZone evolution. If it seems that are current settings are unreasonable for gaining access to CRT, Boss and I will adjust them accordingly.

Little Alex
05-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Seems to me that if you started everyone out at 200 but revoked posting privlidges when it drops below 100, the same result would be achieved without alienating so many people in the process.

That being said... whatever is cool with me. I mostly just read here anyway. Go Reds!!!

HotCorner
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
When someone registers as a member at RedsZone they begin with a default reputation of 10.

I'm a bit frustrated and upset. I've been on this board for two years. While my post count is not astronomical I try to contribute in a constructive and positive manner. I feel that the past two years have meant nothing in terms of my posting here. Ultimately I have the same reputation level as a newbie.

halcyon
05-03-2005, 09:56 AM
I guess I can confess to being slightly frustrated as well. I've been with the board since about 3 months after the cutoff date of Dec. 2000. I've also donated a little money in the past when I could altho I never became an official subscriber.

Would it be a poor idea to start off some of us folks in RL with a higher reputation rating than others? Maybe add points based on how long we've been here or something. Also, some of us rarely post, but occasionally like to interject with a request or different point of view. I think it'll take those of us who don't post as much quite a while to get accepted into CRT, which is a bummer. Don't know if there is anything that can be done about it, but thought I'd mention it in the interest of discussion.

GIK
05-03-2005, 10:00 AM
2844 and halcyon, you both bring up good points and I will discuss them with Boss. This is brand new for RedsZone and we're all learning together. It would be laborous to assign higher reputation values to users who have joined at different times, but again, Boss and I are winging it a little right now. We've never used this before and the only way to see how it's working is to turn it on and find out. I am certain there will be changes. Thanks to you both for you comments.

halcyon
05-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Part of the reason that I suggested higher reps for some was b/c I had (probably erroneously) assumed that it could be automatically accomplished. If that isn't the case, then I understand you all don't have time to do that kinda stuff manually.

Thanks for your openess and responsiveness, Gik. Ya'll do a fine job administratin'.

RedlegNation
05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Why don't I have 200 points yet? This is going to take forever!

I've been trying for at least a day. My patience is wearing thin.

:) :) :)

I think this system is going to be fine, guys. I'll just keep blogging at Redleg Nation, and I'll keep posting here, and if I get called up to the majors eventually, I'll celebrate.

gonelong
05-03-2005, 11:51 AM
I have been here for a few years, and have donated a bit of $$ through another poster. I have (guessing 1,500 posts?) without a single warning/reprimand from the powers that be. I guess I kinda fell though the cracks of the new policy. My response? Big deal, they have bigger fish to fry.

I could care less that I am posting in the "Minor Leagues". If I am worth my salt to the community I'll be called up in due time. If I'm not, then I won't complain about it. Either way, I have a place to post and read about the Reds.

IMO its a darn fine move to have posters "prove" themselves to some degree. As I said in another post somewhere, you don't show up someplace and get respect. You earn it over time.

I fully realize that this process will be modified/tweaked several times over the coming months. I may float in and out of the "big board" at times. So be it. This site is not run for my benefit.

GL

MWM
05-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Hey gl, I have a hunch you won't be long without posting privileges on CRT. I know several people have mentioned you as someone they want to see "called up" ASAP. RLN, same for you.

BTW, I do believe you got suspended once...correct. :cool: And it wasn't too long ago and you knew you wee going to be suspended before you said what you said. Am I mistaken?

gonelong
05-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey gl, I have a hunch you won't be long without posting privileges on CRT. I know several people have mentioned you as someone they want to see "called up" ASAP. RLN, same for you.

Thanks. I am in no hurry to get there though, I don't mind haning out in the minors and I could stand to work on a few aspects of my game while I am here. I kind of feel like its my pennance for not donating money consistently along the way. :) I'd stick around if I never made it, I often lurk for weeks at a time without posting.

BTW, I do believe you got suspended once...correct. :cool: And it wasn't too long ago and you knew you wee going to be suspended before you said what you said. Am I mistaken?

I don't recall ever being suspended at any time, but my memory is somewhat selective. I can remember word for word some conversations I had 25+ years ago, but I can't for the life of me remember where I ate lunch yesterday.

I posted a short time ago with something that probably should have gotten me warned or suspended, but a Mod cleaned up my post pretty shortly after I had entered it instead of giving me the boot. Personally I'd have rather had my message left in tact and taken the sabattical. ;)

GL

smith288
05-03-2005, 12:59 PM
I wish there was a way to keep track of who I gave reputation points to.

ochre
05-03-2005, 02:16 PM
(cross posting this, as it fits here too)
I think we need to get out of the mind set of "rating posters". This system is really about rating posts. Lets count on GIK and Boss being able to ensure that the people that have proven themselves historically are able to post in CRT.

RedlegNation
05-03-2005, 07:40 PM
I think that's a good distinction to make. Although there is some correlation between the two, it's inexact.

Good posts equal good posters. If you look at it like you are recognizing a good post, regardless of the author, it will all work out in the end. The cream of the posting crop will rise anyway.

I don't mind, by the way, if anyone wants to rate this post highly. :)

TheBurn
05-03-2005, 08:21 PM
I actually kinda like the minor-league system.
If anything, it gives us all something to shoot for...
After all the commotion and back-n-forth that's been going on around here lately, I never thought the big guys would ever get this back under control.
I stand corrected. Good job fellas!
I hope to join the Show soon enough...
:beerme:

RedlegNation
05-03-2005, 08:49 PM
All I have to say to that is that this: :pimp: is the best icon EVER.

ghettochild
05-03-2005, 08:55 PM
good deal

Storm
05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
What this all means is if you don't agree with the popular kids then you can't play in any reindeer games :cry:

But don't despair, there are many other Reds boards that will treat you like a real fan and be happy that you post there :)

deltachi8
05-03-2005, 10:44 PM
What this all means is if you don't agree with the popular kids then you can't play in any reindeer games :cry:

But don't despair, there are many other Reds boards that will treat you like a real fan and be happy that you post there :)

ya know, i actually thought about all this today - and yes, i realize i need a life - and i tend to agree.

i have enjoyed learning many new ways to appreciae the game and have even changed the way i feel about certain things. one thing i never thought during that process is, "Gee, I hope someone important thinks this post is cool enough so i can join the club!" I just think there must be a better way.

That being said, I dont have the answers as I am too dumb to come up with them and it is not my website. Therefore, I wish you the best, I doubt I will be posting much, if anything anymore. I will drop by to read and appreciate the opinions of everyone that posts, even if I dont agree.

Buckeye33
05-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Man, I just realized that I can no longer post on the "real" Redszone forum. I even joined in March of 01, but I must have missed the cutoff or something. (I didn't bother reading the entire rules since I don't agree with them)

Oh well...I'll probably still read both these forums simply for Reds info.

TC, GAC, and all the other original posters that I use to hang out with in the chatroom, good luck with the new system. I know I've had plenty of fun in those.

WVPacman
05-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Yes im new to the boards but I still can't figure out WHY I was kicked off the main board.As far as I can think I hav'nt said a bad thing about any Reds player or any poster.Yes your the mods and I will have to go with your decision but I think myself and alot of other posters are getting a raw deal here.Oh well I guess I will have to reach 200 to get to talk on the main board again.I just hope you guys an't tought judges!!!!! ;)

WVPacman
05-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Im only 10,WOW!!! Yes im new but I have to be higher than 10? lord it will take me forever to reach 200. :bang:

MWM
05-04-2005, 12:12 AM
TC, GAC, and all the other original posters that I use to hang out with in the chatroom, good luck with the new system. I know I've had plenty of fun in those.

Fyi Buckeye, I believe the chat room can still be accessed by everyone.

WVPacman
05-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I have a question and it might sound stupid but why did'nt you guys just put the posters that are always wrighting negative stuff on here?instead you guys are punishing alot of good posters that don't say nothing wrong.I see that Buckeye has over thousand posts and im sure he could'nt be to negative or you guys would have banded him by know.

toledodan
05-04-2005, 01:33 AM
thanks for explaining all of this. while i don't agree with it i respect it because its your board and your money going into it. i hope my rep goes up so i can have full use of the board as i always had in the past.

jmcclain19
05-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Why don't I have 200 points yet? This is going to take forever!

I've been trying for at least a day. My patience is wearing thin.

:) :) :)

I think this system is going to be fine, guys. I'll just keep blogging at Redleg Nation, and I'll keep posting here, and if I get called up to the majors eventually, I'll celebrate.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RedlegNation again.

D'oh. I'll keep trying brother man to get you a cup of Coffee

Ron Madden
05-04-2005, 04:25 AM
I quess it's everyones dream to make The BIG Leagues.

Me.. I Love The Game.

I'll play wherever I can for as long as I can. :)

Larry Schuler
05-04-2005, 04:36 AM
My guess is there will be a very small group of people who reach the show. Folks like myself who post seldomly and have no relationship with other members might have to stick around a long while before getting a call up.

Storm
05-04-2005, 07:51 AM
My guess is there will be a very small group of people who reach the show. Folks like myself who post seldomly and have no relationship with other members might have to stick around a long while before getting a call up.

It will take some butt kissing to make the show :D Some good ole roll up your sleeves drop to your knees pucker up and smooch til you lips hurt butt kissing! :mooner:

Hey! I was a 22 yesterday and now I'm a 2? :bang: Oh Well, I guess I'll just hang out down here with all the "special" people :devil:

RedlegNation
05-04-2005, 08:04 AM
D'oh. I'll keep trying brother man to get you a cup of Coffee

Thanks, man. I can feel the love.

Anyone else who wants to help me get a cup of coffee, don't hesitate to push that reputation higher. :)

smith288
05-04-2005, 08:40 AM
I have a question and it might sound stupid but why did'nt you guys just put the posters that are always wrighting negative stuff on here?instead you guys are punishing alot of good posters that don't say nothing wrong.I see that Buckeye has over thousand posts and im sure he could'nt be to negative or you guys would have banded him by know. Who's decision would it be to mark someone as "negative"? Kind of a gray judgement call whereas this policy just makes a hard line decision based on technicals.

Getting to 200 shouldnt be that hard. Make a few good posts and those folks who can judge others will give you positive reputation.

If you whine and complain about the system or moan about your lot in RedsZone life, i doubt anyone will be sympathetic. CRT folks frequent this board... Its like twice the discussion to read. Its really nice from my vantage in terms of reading material.

Dont think of it as a bad thing, It really makes you think when you post now because we now rank each other based on our post. If its well thought out, even if I disagree, i may add to your rep. :)

HotCorner
05-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Seriously, what constitutes a good post?

In my opinion it's too subjective.

TeamDunn
05-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Posting this here as general info....

There are now 5 threads on the first page dealing with Graves and his implosion the other night and comments afterward.

This is what is trying to be avoided in the CRT forum. :)

smith288
05-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Its up to the person who reads it. It may be subjective, but it all will even out when its said and done. A normal honest person can see a good post when they see one. I would only assume there is more of those than boneheads giving negatives just to give them.

I have seen most CRT folks saying they wont even give negative points to anyone...just positives.

flyer85
05-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Seriously, what constitutes a good post?
Bow and kiss the ring of a CRT member.;)

Sean_CaseyRules
05-04-2005, 10:33 AM
This was a mouth full to swallow. im going to miss posting on reds talk... but this reputation is going to be good, i think....

redsfanmia
05-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Just my two cents on the new reputation system. I thought after first reading the email that I would just stop coming in to the site because my initial thought was a negative one. I thought the board had taken a "im taking my ball and going home approach" but after further review I think that action was needed and this is going to work out really well. I find myself now checking my reputation points after each post, it makes posting more fun for me. I also have limited contact with fellow Reds fans so this site is a way for me to take care of my fix for conversing with fans. I like the new system alot and thanks for running the site and moderating it. I dont know if there are still subscriptions to the site but would someone pm me if there are.

gonelong
05-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I did want to post something I have sitting in my desk at work. I'll refer to it once in awhile and thought it was fitting to post at this time.

GL

"Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off."

Good leadership involves responsibility to the welfare of the group,which means that some people will get angry at your actions anddecisions. It's inevitable -- if you're honorable. Trying to geteveryone to like you is a sign of mediocrity: You'll avoid thetough decisions, you'll avoid confronting the people who need to beconfronted, and you'll avoid offering differential rewards based ondifferential performance because some people might get upset.Ironically, by procrastinating on the difficult choices, by tryingnot to get anyone mad, and by treating everyone equally "nicely"regardless of their contributions, you'll simply ensure that theonly people you'll wind up angering are the most creative andproductive people in the organization.

Colin Powell

tsj017
05-04-2005, 04:05 PM
In case anyone missed it over in the "Harder to Discuss Baseball" thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsj017
My solution: Just stick to the Reds Live board and let the inner circle play in their own sandbox.

Well, I see my "reputation" has dropped from 17 to 11 since posting the comment above.

:rolleyes:

Further evidence of the clique that is the RedsZone inner circle. Which, of course, is what this "major/minor league" split is all about. All message boards are dominated by a clique to some degree, but this one takes it to a new level.

Geez, that'll probably get me into negative numbers. Say nothing to disturb the chosen few, or be labeled a disreputable troll! Be careful what you say; they're watching you!

Again, I'll just stick to the cheap seats of Reds Live and not worry about the swells down there in the Diamond Seats.

:mooner:

I'm tempted to mount a campaign to find out how low a poster's "reputation" can go.

This is playground-level stuff.

gonelong
05-04-2005, 04:24 PM
GL

Boss-Hog
05-04-2005, 05:04 PM
In case anyone missed it over in the "Harder to Discuss Baseball" thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsj017
My solution: Just stick to the Reds Live board and let the inner circle play in their own sandbox.

I'm tempted to mount a campaign to find out how low a poster's "reputation" can go.

This is playground-level stuff. Fine. No one's forcing you to post here, so why are you if you're so unhappy?

Storm
05-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Its not too bad down here in the bowels of hell!

Whats my rep now? :evil:

-6! I'll never make it up to all the "cool" people!

Storm
05-04-2005, 06:24 PM
You guys are doing a great job under difficult circumstances. That said, I think you're weighting post counts too highly. Yes, they should factor in, but I believe that the real contributions to this site happen on the baseball side. Post counts sometimes turn like odometers on the non-baseball side. That doesn't seem right.

Also, I like that you've placed limits on how much voting someone can do against (or for) another poster. That said, 25 votes seems like a lot between re-votes. You're asking members to do a whole lot of voting in order to help new posters move up.

Thats what they said to Adolph Hitler :evil:

reds44
05-04-2005, 06:28 PM
This may have been answered already, but once you have reached 200 rep. and you get to CRT, can you be bumped back down to Reds Live?

KronoRed
05-04-2005, 06:32 PM
This may have been answered already, but once you have reached 200 rep. and you get to CRT, can you be bumped back down to Reds Live?

Yep

If you get knocked back below 100

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-04-2005, 06:43 PM
It will take some butt kissing to make the show :D Some good ole roll up your sleeves drop to your knees pucker up and smooch til you lips hurt butt kissing! :mooner:

Hey! I was a 22 yesterday and now I'm a 2? :bang: Oh Well, I guess I'll just hang out down here with all the "special" people :devil:

Don't feel bad. The suits on the other forum dropped me from 44 to 40 during the course of yesterday's game. I don't think I've ever quite seen anything like this before - it's an Internet message board popularity contest.

GIK
05-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Yep

If you get knocked back below 100

That may or may not change, but Krono's right...for now. :)

CincyFlip
05-04-2005, 06:49 PM
I like the new system guys. Should be fun getting 'called up'.

Redsland
05-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Thats what they said to Adolph Hitler :evil:
First of all, your understanding of history seems superficial at best.

Second of all, don't quote my posts to further your agenda.

Storm
05-04-2005, 08:57 PM
First of all, your understanding of history seems superficial at best.

Second of all, don't quote my posts to further your agenda.

I'll quote your posts to fit my agenda as long as you post!

Don't like it? don't post! :evil:

IslandRed
05-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Just my two cents on the new reputation system. I thought after first reading the email that I would just stop coming in to the site because my initial thought was a negative one. I thought the board had taken a "im taking my ball and going home approach" but after further review I think that action was needed and this is going to work out really well.

I still have some reservations about how it will work long term -- some others have mentioned the same possibility that once CRT fills up, the regulars there will start avoiding the "other" forum and it'll be very difficult for a new poster to ever receive enough points for a callup. In fact, I was afraid it would happen right out of the gate, given the way things have gone on some other sites I visit. I do a lot more reading than talking, so I was envisioning using my time to read CRT rather than posting here.

But so far, so good. I can still read CRT and there have been lots of discussions here worth tossing in a couple of cents myself, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

reds44
05-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Can you get booted from the site for having too may negative points?

KronoRed
05-04-2005, 09:11 PM

Maybe -200 ;)

Spring~Fields
05-04-2005, 09:20 PM

Administrators and moderators can respond most appropriately to your query. Although in the past flagrant rule violators were the ones that provoked that kind of response.

I guess if one grinded the axe too long in a negative way they might be, but again the admins and mods can best answer you, they can be contacted at the bottom of the page.

Betterread
05-04-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm disappointed in being excluded from one of the forums that I occasionally post on. It hasn't been explained what the goal of excluding two classes of people: those who don't post frequently and those who have not been members for over 3 years.
In the absence of an explanation, one obvious conclusion is that the board is unhappy with its membership's posts and wants more discriminating posts.
So why not make it a level playing field and create a forum for discriminating posts; "good posts".
What would the criteria be for "good posts"?
I would posit the following criteria because they produce more interesting information:
1. posts that involve eyewitness observations of games(in case this is not clear - this does not mean tv viewing)
2. posts that involve inside sources
3. posts that break news on the reds from other media sources (attribution is important)
4. posts that display original analysis
5. posts that display obvious logical rigor

I hope the current moderators of Redszone read this post and think about some of these ideas. thank you.

Storm
05-04-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm disappointed in being excluded from one of the forums that I occasionally post on. It hasn't been explained what the goal of excluding two classes of people: those who don't post frequently and those who have not been members for over 3 years.
In the absence of an explanation, one obvious conclusion is that the board is unhappy with its membership's posts and wants more discriminating posts.
So why not make it a level playing field and create a forum for discriminating posts; "good posts".
What would the criteria be for "good posts"?
I would posit the following criteria because they produce more interesting information:
1. posts that involve eyewitness observations of games(in case this is not clear - this does not mean tv viewing)
2. posts that involve inside sources
3. posts that break news on the reds from other media sources (attribution is important)
4. posts that display original analysis
5. posts that display obvious logical rigor

I hope the current moderators of Redszone read this post and think about some of these ideas. thank you.

Just agree with darn "cool" people and you will be whisked to the top ;)
Otherwise languish in the bowels of hell with the rest of us losers :laugh:

Sgtshafer
06-17-2005, 01:11 AM
I have not been able to figure out how to rank somebody?

GridironGrace
06-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Have to be a Member of the Old red guard right? Pretty sure u have to be there b4 u can give positive feedback

steig
06-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Just agree with darn "cool" people and you will be whisked to the top ;)
Otherwise languish in the bowels of hell with the rest of us losers :laugh:

I completely agree with you. I had been a member for about a year when the repubtation points started and was banished from posting on CRT. I mainly read the posts and reply every now and then. You can only get up to CRT if you post the same ideas as the 'cool' fans. I feel they are claiming to be better fans simply because they were members first.

ochre
06-17-2005, 09:43 AM
I completely agree with you. I had been a member for about a year when the repubtation points started and was banished from posting on CRT. I mainly read the posts and reply every now and then. You can only get up to CRT if you post the same ideas as the 'cool' fans. I feel they are claiming to be better fans simply because they were members first.
Actually, I (and most 'cool' fans that post here from what I can tell) could care less what someone is saying if they can back up there opinions with something tangible. Post something that makes people think, or laugh; don't just throw a bunch of nonsense out there that has no basis in fact.

steig
06-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Actually, I (and most 'cool' fans that post here from what I can tell) could care less what someone is saying if they can back up there opinions with something tangible. Post something that makes people think, or laugh; don't just throw a bunch of nonsense out there that has no basis in fact.

My point has just been made. You disagreed with my view of reputation points and decided to drop my reputation points from 17 to 14. :thumbdown Why couldn't you just disagree and allow people to express their ideas, rather than forcing your views onto members. If the site needs money to operate, I would be glad to donate money to help the site stay open but only if they get rid of the reputation system.

ochre
06-17-2005, 11:44 AM
My point has just been made. You disagreed with my view of reputation points and decided to drop my reputation points from 17 to 14. :thumbdown Why couldn't you just disagree and allow people to express their ideas, rather than forcing your views onto members. If the site needs money to operate, I would be glad to donate money to help the site stay open but only if they get rid of the reputation system.
I didn't ding you. Thanks for the accusation though.

KittyDuran
06-17-2005, 11:55 AM
My point has just been made. You disagreed with my view of reputation points and decided to drop my reputation points from 17 to 14. :thumbdown Why couldn't you just disagree and allow people to express their ideas, rather than forcing your views onto members. If the site needs money to operate, I would be glad to donate money to help the site stay open but only if they get rid of the reputation system.steig - go to the User CP at the top to find out who "dinged" you...

ochre
06-17-2005, 11:59 AM
steig - go to the User CP at the top to find out who "dinged" you...
I don't think this is activated yet Kitty.

Red Leader
06-17-2005, 12:01 PM
I don't think this is activated yet Kitty.

Yep, it is.

ochre
06-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Yep, it is.
Cool. I didn't see any usernames on mine. Did they go with the time cutoff script modification then? I must have missed that :)

Redsland
06-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Well, maybe if you weren't so busy neg-repping the un-cliquables…

:)

Red Leader
06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Cool. I didn't see any usernames on mine. Did they go with the time cutoff script modification then? I must have missed that :)

You'd have to ask Boss. They started talking about scripts, and using big computer words, and I ducked out of the conversation before I got crazy and enrolled myself in some $10,000.00 Sally Struthers online class to make sense of it all ;)

smith288
06-17-2005, 12:10 PM
My point has just been made. You disagreed with my view of reputation points and decided to drop my reputation points from 17 to 14. :thumbdown Why couldn't you just disagree and allow people to express their ideas, rather than forcing your views onto members. If the site needs money to operate, I would be glad to donate money to help the site stay open but only if they get rid of the reputation system. Your accusations and fingerpointing only leads to a negative attitude from others. People read what you post and take it with them the next time they see you post. Im not going to ding you because I just let a persons low rep total speak for themselves. There is no God given right to post here or anywhere on the internet.

If you like this place, then suck it up, add something of substance and you will et your reputation.

WVPacman is a perfect example of this. He initially had a very negative outlook on the reputation but quickly learned that his attitude only hurt any chances to be thought of in a positive light. He made a thread apologizing and then reversed his outlook and tried posting substantials things.

Even though some still harbored negative views of him, he eventually won over many others and earned himself ORG status.

I watched WVPacman turn into a nuisance to a model RedsZoner.... it doesnt take that much work.

KronoRed
06-17-2005, 12:11 PM
You'd have to ask Boss. They started talking about scripts, and using big computer words, and I ducked out of the conversation before I got crazy and enrolled myself in some $10,000.00 Sally Struthers online class to make sense of it all ;)

I'm SOO learning how to be a private investigator from her :D

smith288
06-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Struthers? I learned from this guy. All i needed to know about SQL, DTS, transactions and memory balancing!

http://vimages.videoprofessor.com/vpTwo/images/B78/nami_bannerright.jpg

:lol:

Unassisted
06-17-2005, 12:20 PM
My point has just been made. You disagreed with my view of reputation points and decided to drop my reputation points from 17 to 14. :thumbdown Why couldn't you just disagree and allow people to express their ideas, rather than forcing your views onto members. If the site needs money to operate, I would be glad to donate money to help the site stay open but only if they get rid of the reputation system.Your earlier posts in this thread took swipes at the people who are original ORG members as some kind of oppressive clique. The ding I laid on you was merely to enlighten you about why they got that status and the fact that the site costs money to operate. If you continue with this attitude, I doubt you'll be invited to donate.

steig
06-17-2005, 12:23 PM

I appologize for my brash comment and accusation.

smith288
06-17-2005, 12:24 PM
If you aint getting negged, then you aint doing your job! You gotta work harder for those negs.

zombie-a-go-go
06-17-2005, 12:32 PM
If you aint getting negged, then you aint doing your job! You gotta work harder for those negs.

'S what I'm sayin'.

Look, I'm smaller than you. :p: :cool:

smith288
06-17-2005, 12:56 PM
You need to be more offensive... Did you put on deoderant today?

OldRightHander
06-17-2005, 01:02 PM

So if I want a neg, I have to work harder at it than I have been lately? I guess being cordial to everyone doesn't work. Actually, I got one once just for making a smart :mooner: comment about something. It was a pretty lame post actually, and someone zapped me for it. Not that I'm complaining though. I do wish I could find this clique that's supposed to be here. All I've been able to find is a group of pretty well informed Reds fans that like to discuss baseball. Can someone help me find the clique?

Heath
06-17-2005, 01:11 PM
Can someone help me find the clique?

Aren't you the guys that sit next to the cheerleaders in the lunch room???

DISCLAIMER - This post is not an original idea - The high school theme was borrowed from a post about 4 pages back. :D

Sorry for the next line - "Does anyone need any cheese with the 'whine'???

Chip R
06-17-2005, 01:13 PM
'S what I'm sayin'.

Look, I'm smaller than you. :p: :cool:Get any smaller and you'll be Gravesesque.

OldRightHander
06-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Aren't you the guys that sit next to the cheerleaders in the lunch room???

DISCLAIMER - This post is not an original idea - The high school theme was borrowed from a post about 4 pages back. :D

Sorry for the next line - "Does anyone need any cheese with the 'whine'???

Yep, there's been plenty of whine in this thread. It's getting rather old. I think the system works pretty well. The cream rises to the top with time.

KronoRed
06-17-2005, 01:21 PM
'S what I'm sayin'.

Look, I'm smaller than you. :p: :cool:

See, you say stuff like that and I have to positivetize you :D

smith288
06-17-2005, 01:22 PM
So if I want a neg, I have to work harder at it than I have been lately? I guess being cordial to everyone doesn't work. Actually, I got one once just for making a smart :mooner: comment about something. It was a pretty lame post actually, and someone zapped me for it. Not that I'm complaining though. I do wish I could find this clique that's supposed to be here. All I've been able to find is a group of pretty well informed Reds fans that like to discuss baseball. Can someone help me find the clique? I have found it. Basically, its a group of people who have a high level of knowledge of baseball and make well thought out posts regarding said subject. Durn them and their clique.

zombie-a-go-go
06-17-2005, 01:29 PM
I have found it. Basically, its a group of people who have a high level of knowledge of baseball and make well thought out posts regarding said subject. Durn them and their clique.

Yeah, and they let me hang around, too. *snortle*

Oh, and smith, it was the deoderant. I gotta remember to forget to put the stuff on in the morning.

OldRightHander
06-17-2005, 01:30 PM

Oh, and smith, it was the deoderant. I gotta remember to forget to put the stuff on in the morning.

Try skipping the mouthwash too. That adds to the ambience.

KittyDuran
06-17-2005, 01:33 PM

Oh, and smith, it was the deoderant. I gotta remember to forget to put the stuff on in the morning.We let you hang around because of your
"cool" taste in music....

hey, wait did I say that??? :p: ;)

KronoRed
06-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Actually Z, you're the leader but we just haven't figured out how to tell you..

Ooops :D

KearnsyEars
06-17-2005, 01:52 PM
I am becoming keen to this new system, and like how you can see who leaves you feedback, it has some accountability now for those leaving positive/negative feedback

WVPacman
06-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Your accusations and fingerpointing only leads to a negative attitude from others. People read what you post and take it with them the next time they see you post. Im not going to ding you because I just let a persons low rep total speak for themselves. There is no God given right to post here or anywhere on the internet.

If you like this place, then suck it up, add something of substance and you will et your reputation.

WVPacman is a perfect example of this. He initially had a very negative outlook on the reputation but quickly learned that his attitude only hurt any chances to be thought of in a positive light. He made a thread apologizing and then reversed his outlook and tried posting substantials things.

Even though some still harbored negative views of him, he eventually won over many others and earned himself ORG status.

I watched WVPacman turn into a nuisance to a model RedsZoner.... it doesnt take that much work.

steig,Smith hit the nail right on the head man!! I hurt myself bigtime when I 1st joined this site with all my negtivity that I spread across the boards.Believe me I paid for it bigtime b/c of my stupidness my points went down alot and fast but steig,I deserved it b/c I made so many people mad at me.I have now won back not all but most of the posters on here b/c I opened up my eyes one day and seen that I was just hurting myself and making tons of enemys.

steig,listen to me and listen to me good for what im about to say b/c I acted just like you are now and it got me into bigtime trouble on here.

1)Don't worry about the rep points b/c if you do then you will not have fun on the boards b/c you will be doing nothing but arguing and making other posters dread to see your name on here.

2)A way to make your points go up is to find interesting Reds stuff on the net that you think we the posters would enjoy to read.

3)Alot of posters on here love stats about players and love to read a great quality post by other posters.That will also make your points go up.

4)Try and get to know these posters on here b/c steig,bud they are all clasy people thats on here and alot will do almost anything to help you if you would just ask.I can't tell you how many friends that I have made b/c of my turn around from being a jerk.They are GREAT people on here!!

5)Just have fun b/c man there isn't a better Reds sight out there to go to.

Do those 5 things and you most difenantly change from being a bad guy and hated by everybody and turning into a great poster and welcomed by all the other Reds posters on here.