PDA

View Full Version : The new system makes it hard to discuss baseball

Johnny Footstool
05-04-2005, 10:55 AM
After just a couple of days, I've noticed that the new "Majors/Minors" system makes it very difficult to discuss topics. We've got multiple threads on both boards dealing with the same subject, and there is a lot of redundancy between the forums.

If you want to read all the available opinions on one subject, you've got to visit both forums and read through multiple posts. If someone makes a point in the Baseball Talk forum that I want to address, I have to bring it back here to discuss it. And I'm sure there are a lot of great points on the Reds Live side that are not being seen by the Baseball Talk people. That is, unless the Baseball Talk folks are visiting here every day and reading all the posts, which makes the Baseball Talk forum somewhat obsolete.

And I don't think the job is any easier for the Baseball Talk posters. They're going to have to sift through all kinds of posts on this side to dole out Reputation points.

I know the Mods had good reasons for implementing the new system, and I respect those reasons. But I think it has basically doubled the amount of "chatter" and made it more difficult to discuss baseball.

RedsFan75
05-04-2005, 11:06 AM
I agree Johnny, makes it hard to get into it now... RedsZone was a daily event for me... now it's much lower on my list because it takes way too much time to follow the discussion...

smith288
05-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I like it... more variety and more topics to discuss. more posters are posting in my opinion and that only bodes well. Through time, the quality folks will be noticed who wouldnt have been noticed before.

Joseph
05-04-2005, 11:45 AM
I will have to say with this new system it seems there are a considerable amount of newer posters actually de-lurking and contributing to the topic of the moment, whatever it might be. Is the system a little odd? Perhaps, but I think it will improve the quality in the long run, and also get a greater number of quality people as well.

Sean_CaseyRules
05-04-2005, 11:47 AM
I agree, it gets frustrating at times.

westofyou
05-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Noise, noise noise.

I've said this a thousand times and I'll say it again this board is FULL of noise, period.

How about some filters, make some different forums, Trade Talk, He Sucks, No He Doesn't Suck, History, Politcs, weird stuff etc...

Noise is best controled by channeling the noise into subject specific areas.

Focus on creating an easy to read system... right now hit new posts and get a jumble of everything posted, no filters to clean out the chaft at all.

Noise... noise.... noise... pare it down, put it in buckets that are easy to pick at.

The baseball talk will be a mess if there isn't some semblance to try and manage it other than on seperate boards like the current CRT/RL setup.

REDREAD
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
I'm not going to lobby pro or con to the new system.. but I think that after a few weeks of transition, a lot of the more frequent posters on the "Live" site will get their 200 reputation posts, and things will be back to normal.

Of course, a couple months down the road, it might be a lot harder for newbies to ever make it to the exclusive board. (I imagine traffic on the "Live" board will go down
once some of the more profilic posters make the other board). Or maybe not, we'll have to see how it plays out.

ochre
05-04-2005, 12:03 PM
For those finding it tough to keep up with the discussion, try using the "new posts" link at the top. It runs a canned search that finds all new posts that have occured within x minutes. From that list, then, its easy to pick the threads you are interested in, regardless of which forum they appear in.

tsj017
05-04-2005, 12:52 PM
After just a couple of days, I've noticed that the new "Majors/Minors" system makes it very difficult to discuss topics. We've got multiple threads on both boards dealing with the same subject, and there is a lot of redundancy between the forums.

If you want to read all the available opinions on one subject, you've got to visit both forums and read through multiple posts. If someone makes a point in the Baseball Talk forum that I want to address, I have to bring it back here to discuss it. And I'm sure there are a lot of great points on the Reds Live side that are not being seen by the Baseball Talk people. That is, unless the Baseball Talk folks are visiting here every day and reading all the posts, which makes the Baseball Talk forum somewhat obsolete.

And I don't think the job is any easier for the Baseball Talk posters. They're going to have to sift through all kinds of posts on this side to dole out Reputation points.

I know the Mods had good reasons for implementing the new system, and I respect those reasons. But I think it has basically doubled the amount of "chatter" and made it more difficult to discuss baseball.

My solution: Just stick to the Reds Live board and let the inner circle play in their own sandbox.

Johnny Footstool
05-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Of course, a couple months down the road, it might be a lot harder for newbies to ever make it to the exclusive board.

I think it will be. Once the familiar people get "called up," there will be far fewer Reputation Points being passed around on the Reds Live board.

From that list, then, its easy to pick the threads you are interested in, regardless of which forum they appear in.

That's a nice feature, and it will come in fairly handy in the future, but right now many of us can't contribute to half of those new posts. Plus in the future, it still won't solve the problem of sorting through redundant posts on both forums.

My solution: Just stick to the Reds Live board and let the inner circle play in their own sandbox.

Doing that excludes a lot of good discussions. Just like sticking to the Baseball Talk side would exclude a lot of good discussions.

Joseph
05-04-2005, 01:06 PM
I think it will be. Once the familiar people get "called up," there will be far fewer Reputation Points being passed around on the Reds Live board.

I fully have my sights set on being a utility player, so I'm not giving up on my dream. :)

smith288
05-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I think it will be. Once the familiar people get "called up," there will be far fewer Reputation Points being passed around on the Reds Live board.'

Actually...it will be the opposite. More CRT posters equal more available reputation points to be given. As long as people continue to come to RedsZone, there will be people available to give points to. At least thats my take on it.

OldRightHander
05-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I guess what this does is encourage people like me who have been hanging around here for almost three years to actually post more. I have been a long time lurker and have occasionally put my 2 cents in, but...look at my post count and you'll see what I mean. I just need to make sure I have something productive to say.

RFS62
05-04-2005, 01:10 PM
I guess what this does is encourage people like me who have been hanging around here for almost three years to actually post more. I have been a long time lurker and have occasionally put my 2 cents in, but...look at my post count and you'll see what I mean.

I just need to make sure I have something productive to say.

Dear Lord, don't wait for that!!!! It's certainly never stopped most of us!!

I hope it does flush out some lurkers. I'm sure interested to hear what you think.

Johnny Footstool
05-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Actually...it will be the opposite. More CRT posters equal more available reputation points to be given.

If they continue to visit Reds Live frequently.

And the more frequently they visit Reds Live, the more redundant Baseball Talk will become.

Mutaman
05-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Is it just me, or do others find the minor league board just as, if not more, interesting than the major league board?

OldRightHander
05-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Well, actually my work schedule has had an effect on how often I can get on here. I don't have one of those nice predictable schedules that some people have and unlike Mr. Graves, my pay is performance based. That and being married. I basically get on the web when my wife's at work or running errands. Hopefully you'll be hearing from me a bit more often though, since a couple other boards I used to hang around basically went to hell in a handbasket and aren't worth visiting anymore.

Johnny Footstool
05-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Is it just me, or do others find the minor league board just as, if not more, interesting than the major league board?

Yes. Both boards have a lot to offer.

Which begs the question -- is the split really necessary?

zombie-a-go-go
05-04-2005, 01:42 PM

Yes, it was.

Marge'sMullet
05-04-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't get it?

gonelong
05-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Yes. Both boards have a lot to offer.

I like the split for a couple of reasons.

1) For those that have been around some time and gained respect over the long haul, there is a "safe haven" to retreat to if/when the occoasional troll with too much time on their hands surfaces.

2) I like to see the same topic on both boards at the same time. One board takes a turn to the left while the other board takes a turn to the right. Those "identical" threads can end up in very different places.

3) Right now I am loving the Live board with the infusion of new blood posting ... its just what this site needed IMO. It had to be a bit daunting to post something on the old board with all of the long-standing members, but now you are seeing all sorts of discussion from all sorts of people on the live board.

Eventually I think we may see the boards merge again but retaining of the reputation points. At a miniumum I'd like to see both boards for at least 30 days, then re-evaluate. At this time things are going to well, IMO, to abandon ship. (Note: thinly veiled Titanic reference)

GL

Danny Serafini
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Personally I like how the two boards are going right now. They're each starting to develop their own personalities, and as gonelong said different points of view on the same topic. As I wrote on the CRT board (there's that redundancy!) it's like I have 2 Reds sites to go to now instead of just 1.

BuckU
05-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Major Leauge/Minor Leauge stuff aside...I vist both boards, and will continue to do so, as most of the CRT folks do.

Red Leader
05-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Major Leauge/Minor Leauge stuff aside...I vist both boards, and will continue to do so, as most of the CRT folks do.

Completely agree. I'm really excited about the board these days. I've found that there are a lot more topics and discussions that I'm interested in joining in on now than at any time before.

Caveat Emperor
05-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Noise, noise noise.

I've said this a thousand times and I'll say it again this board is FULL of noise, period.

How about some filters, make some different forums, Trade Talk, He Sucks, No He Doesn't Suck, History, Politcs, weird stuff etc...

Noise is best controled by channeling the noise into subject specific areas.

Focus on creating an easy to read system... right now hit new posts and get a jumble of everything posted, no filters to clean out the chaft at all.

Noise... noise.... noise... pare it down, put it in buckets that are easy to pick at.

The baseball talk will be a mess if there isn't some semblance to try and manage it other than on seperate boards like the current CRT/RL setup.

I have no substantive response to what you've said other than the fact that I love the Seattle Pilots avatar, as they are (without a doubt) probably one of the better footnotes in Major League Baseball, if for no other reason than those great hats they wore with the bill designs.

Aack, more noise...

I think it's good to have all the discussions in one message board. You can just pick and choose the threads you want to read whereas separating things out will require multiple views on multiple different boards to see all the goings on.

You'll have a threads going on trading Rich Aurillia on one thread, another thread on another board talking about starting Felipe Lopez OVER Rich Aurillia, and a thread on another boards talking about who Rich Aurillia voted for in the last election by your system. Might be too much Rich Aurillia talk for anyone's good.

REDREAD
05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
If they continue to visit Reds Live frequently.

That's my concern too. Again, I am not criticizing or praising the setup. I fully support Boss and GIK (whatever they decide).

But let's fast forward to September. By then, most of the familiar people will probably be up to 200 reputation. Will there be enough "Major Leaguers" still interested in visiting the "Live" board?

OldRightHander
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I can speak for myself here. If some folks are kind enough to put me at the 200 point level, I will find myself inclined to still come in here on occasion simply to return the favor. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

HUHUH
05-04-2005, 02:43 PM

Right on tsj. I've posted (infrequently) on Resdzone for the last 3 or 4 years. Yesterday, I try to post and find that I'm now excluded! If some elitist members of Reds Zone don't want me around, I ain't gonna be around! Don't even bother computing my Reputation Power Points (or whatever the hell it is) because I ain't playing anymore!

p.s. How many Reputation points do I get for this post?

OldRightHander
05-04-2005, 02:44 PM
I think you get 10 "stay out of my sandbox" points for that one.

Phhhl
05-04-2005, 02:46 PM
This is going to take some getting used to. I also appreciate and support the decision by the mods. But, as someone suggested, it is basically like having two seperate communities. To try and cross-reference or respond to threads from one forum to the other could become very confusing, and there will be a lot of repetition. As someone else said on CRT ;), it seems to be working on other boards, for college teams in particular. It will be interesting to see how the game threads go.

RedsFan75
05-04-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm with you Santo, I've noticed that I've stopped even visiting the other forum... why read it if I can't respond... Not like I have that much to say... but still.

I will admit, since the split I've posted more per day than usual... so who know.. I do expect this time next month or 2 to still be sitting at a 10, because... I just don't contribute that much very often.

ws1990reds
05-04-2005, 03:59 PM
I like it... more variety and more topics to discuss. more posters are posting in my opinion and that only bodes well. Through time, the quality folks will be noticed who wouldnt have been noticed before.

I'm really like this, too! :thumbup:

TeamCasey
05-04-2005, 04:29 PM
It's going to take some getting used to in that I have to adjust my reading routine, but I will.

I've observed benefits:

Less bickering.

More old posters posting again.

Lurkers and newcomers feeling more comfortable and posting more.

chicoruiz
05-04-2005, 04:46 PM

I've always wondered why this board isn't divided into topics. Trade Ideas, Minor Leagues, Letting Off Steam, etc. It seems so logical that I always assumed there was some technical reason it couldn't be done.

tsj017
05-04-2005, 04:49 PM

Well, I see my "reputation" has dropped from 17 to 11 since posting the comment above.

:rolleyes:

Further evidence of the clique that is the RedsZone inner circle. Which, of course, is what this "major/minor league" split is all about. All message boards are dominated by a clique to some degree, but this one takes it to a new level.

Geez, that'll probably get me into negative numbers. Say nothing to disturb the chosen few, or be labeled a disreputable troll! Be careful what you say; they're watching you!

Again, I'll just stick to the cheap seats of Reds Live and not worry about the swells down there in the Diamond Seats.

:mooner:

TeamDunn
05-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Well, I see my "reputation" has dropped from 17 to 11 since posting the comment above.

:rolleyes:

Further evidence of the clique that is the RedsZone inner circle. Which, of course, is what this "major/minor league" split is all about. All message boards are dominated by a clique to some degree, but this one takes it to a new level.

Geez, that'll probably get me into negative numbers. Say nothing to disturb the chosen few, or be labeled a disreputable troll! Be careful what you say; they're watching you!

Again, I'll just stick to the cheap seats of Reds Live and not worry about the swells down there in the Diamond Seats.

:mooner:

With every rude post you make toward the group voting for you how do you expect them to react? :confused: Seriously?

westofyou
05-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I've always wondered why this board isn't divided into topics. Trade Ideas, Minor Leagues, Letting Off Steam, etc. It seems so logical that I always assumed there was some technical reason it couldn't be done.

From what I understand it is likely to happen sooner than later.

KronoRed
05-04-2005, 05:20 PM
From what I understand it is likely to happen sooner than later.

Good to hear..it's been needed for awhile, all baseball talk in one (now 2) places makes for a big jumble

bucknutdet
05-04-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't understand why everyone was just made equal? Let the mods take out the trash when necessary. Delete/banning those that deserve it. This seems to be much less work than this ranking stuff. Most boards, the mods are there to do a job, just do it. Instead of creating inequalities, just take care of the problems

BTW, I highly doubt many people get enough points to "move up." First off, I doubt those "elite" care that much to grade others and it seems their power to do so is very limited. This is the only board I have seen set up like this, very silly if you ask me.

Spring~Fields
05-04-2005, 05:31 PM

I agree with your inference.

I find it more interesting and refreshing, these new posters I have not read nearly as much as the habitual posters on the old web page and do not know what to expect from them, so they are keeping my reading very interesting, doesn't seem like old reruns for me. :)

TeamDunn
05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
BTW, I highly doubt many people get enough points to "move up." First off, I doubt those "elite" care that much to grade others and it seems their power to do so is very limited. This is the only board I have seen set up like this, very silly if you ask me.

It has been 2 days, not to sound like Graves here, but give us some slack!

People are also forgetting the other way to have gotten into the "other" forum was to have at some point donated or "subscribed" to the forum. $3.00 would have gotten you in there.

Until today I was completely up in the air as to "if" it was a good idea to do it this way, as today progresses I can totally see a difference in all the forums here.

I take real offense to the bolded part of your post I quoted. I "fought" for and think the owners here listened to my (as well as others) disagreement with the first attempt to create better posts here. This has nothing to do with anyone being "Elite". Many of us are trying to get people in that forum that we believe will contribute to the discussions without flaming.

Posts like these just make me shy away from voting for someone. If you act like this in here then how are you going to act in there if someone disagrees with you? There is a better way to state your disagreement with the new procedure.

Spring~Fields
05-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Lurkers and newcomers feeling more comfortable and posting more.

Excellent point TC and as you know it is important to the long-term growth of Redszone and its longevity. I am sure that some as within any social group or social interaction might have been intimidated a bit, hopefully now they will feel comfortable.

redsrule2500
05-04-2005, 06:03 PM
I agree 100%, I wish the split never happened. :(

Boss-Hog
05-04-2005, 06:08 PM
The overall improvement in the quality of posts and the fact that some of our original, core members have returned certainly hasn't gone unnoticed by me.

bucknutdet
05-04-2005, 07:21 PM
TeamDunn, you seem to offend pretty easily. I am simply giving my take on this forum. So what if it is different than what you believe. If were all in agreement on a forum, than what's the freakin' point of having one.

I take real offense to the bolded part of your post I quoted. I "fought" for and think the owners here listened to my (as well as others) disagreement with the first attempt to create better posts here. This has nothing to do with anyone being "Elite".

It seems to me as if this is about the longtimers not wanting to be bothered by newcomers or those they don't like. Yeah, I bet that will help the quality of posts, you have your group and don't have to read anything else.

Posts like these just make me shy away from voting for someone. If you act like this in here then how are you going to act in there if someone disagrees with you? There is a better way to state your disagreement with the new procedure.

This statement just proves the fact, some people in the "elite" board do not want to hear anything that is contrary to your opinon, or at least you don't. I don't know how you can conclude how I will post in a disagreement, when you are the person who is offended. Tell me, how did I act?? I did nothing inflamatory, derogatory, nor cussed. I merely stated my opinion. That IS what internet forums exist for, the exchange of ideas. You were offened by that? Well sorry for stating my opinion in a civilized manner. That is what I did here, is that allowed? Please explain to me the "better way to state my disagreement"? What am I not supposed to type it? I have not attacked you in anyway merely stated a division, by which you were offended. I will not apoligize to you for that in any way.

RedlegNation
05-04-2005, 08:41 PM
With every rude post you make toward the group voting for you how do you expect them to react? :confused: Seriously?

I love the voters. I encourage them to react positively toward me. :D

Extremely positively.

Go ahead. You know you want to.

TeamCasey
05-04-2005, 08:46 PM
I love the voters. I encourage them to react positively toward me. :D

Extremely positively.

Go ahead. You know you want to.

Flattery will get you everywhere. :)

reds44
05-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I think the spilt was a good descision, i JUST HOPE i GET CALLED UP TO THE BIGS SOON! VOTE FOR ME CAUGH CAUGH! No but seriously, I think they made the right decision by doing the split, I was really getting tired of all those stupid threads about such petty things, I mean if Miley sneezed people started a thread saying Miley sneezed fire him! I bet most that disagree with the spilt were the reason why the spilt was made.

MattyHo4Life
05-04-2005, 09:09 PM
This statement just proves the fact, some people in the "elite" board do not want to hear anything that is contrary to your opinon, or at least you don't.

Have you ever read the "elite" board? If you have, then you'll know that posters disagree all the time. Afterall, that's why people post on a message board. It would be very boring if everybody agreed. This split has nothing to do with people disagreeing with anybody. It has to do with the quality of posts in the forum.

MattyHo4Life
05-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Until today I was completely up in the air as to "if" it was a good idea to do it this way, as today progresses I can totally see a difference in all the forums here.

I was up in the air to the idea as well, but TC and MWM made some really good points about the need for the split. You are right, there is a huge difference in the forums now. It's a lot better atmosphere here than it's been lately.

bucknutdet
05-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Why then was Team Dunn so offended by me disagreeing. I did nothing personal or derogatory. In order to get moved up, you have to be in agreement with certian opinions. My reply to him was quality, his "I'm offended" post was BS.

MattyHo4Life
05-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Why then was Team Dunn so offended by me disagreeing. I did nothing personal or derogatory. In order to get moved up, you have to be in agreement with certian opinions. My reply to him was quality, his "I'm offended" post was BS.

I doubt those "elite" care that much to grade others

I can't speak for TD, but this statement could be viewed as a personal attack on certain posters.

RedlegNation
05-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Flattery will get you everywhere. :)

:laugh: That's the idea.

bucknutdet
05-04-2005, 10:16 PM
MattyMO- that may be the case for that post, but did you read the original reply? How am I supposed to disagree? I used no profanity, and made no personal attack. The reply was that someone was offended b/c I thought a certain way (not in agreement with them) and this would give cause to "shy away from voting for someone" then I was accused of acting a certain way? How did I "act"? I stated my opinion and stated there was a division the have rights group (elite) and the not. Simply stated. But then accused of acting poorly. Thats BS. Thus the point, someone doesn't like your stance, you get voted down or passed over. I am not going to kiss butt, instead I'll hold my opinions and state them appropriately. If those in power (the "elite) don't like them then I guess I'll be relegated to the minor leagues. I have in no way flamed the board, but made some valid points regarding my opinion.

Betterread
05-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Please vote for me because I liked being able to post on the CRT forum and now I cannot. I have posted occasionally on this board from its inception and on other Cincinnati boards that preceded Redszone and would like to be free to post on any forum. I never abused any rules or posters, I just don't feel comfortable posting frequently.
Even though I will never be a significant part of this community, I would like to travel freely within it. I hope you can understand my perspective.

Matt700wlw
05-04-2005, 10:41 PM
nm

Marc D
05-04-2005, 10:52 PM
All I know is that my reputation level says I am a 34 year old AA player with no real upside/talent. Given the fact this is a Cincinnati Reds forum, shouldn't I be in the bullpen for the major league team?

Seriously however, I like the new layout its very much like an Ohio State message board I pretty much live at. They do however incorporate WOY's idea and channel the noise into many small buckets and quite honestly it just rocks. The reputation feature was once new there as well and now its a well engrained part of the culture. All in all if this board takes the few baby steps it has left in the evolutionary process to that board it will be 100% better.

KittyDuran
05-04-2005, 11:01 PM
MattyMO- that may be the case for that post, but did you read the original reply? How am I supposed to disagree? I used no profanity, and made no personal attack. The reply was that someone was offended b/c I thought a certain way (not in agreement with them) and this would give cause to "shy away from voting for someone" then I was accused of acting a certain way? How did I "act"? I stated my opinion and stated there was a division the have rights group (elite) and the not. Simply stated. But then accused of acting poorly. Thats BS. Thus the point, someone doesn't like your stance, you get voted down or passed over. I am not going to kiss butt, instead I'll hold my opinions and state them appropriately. If those in power (the "elite) don't like them then I guess I'll be relegated to the minor leagues. I have in no way flamed the board, but made some valid points regarding my opinion.Amazing, you keep on using the word "elite" and expect some understanding... I just :dunno: how to react to your rant...

Redsfaithful
05-04-2005, 11:04 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've used all my votes the past two days, and I've been reading the board quite a bit more. Just tossing my opinion out there, but I think the quality of the board has already done a 180.

bucknutdet
05-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Elite is a term, it represents those that "have". How hard is that? Now, how in my original post was I disagreebly disagreeing? If you guys have your boxers in a bunch over the term elite I am amazed, it is not as though I were calling you a liberal :) (joking) It is simply a term, and I am being raked for using it. No personal attacks have occured, while the substance of my questions have gone unanswered.

And yes, this is now officially a rant. And for that I apologize, but my original point to TD's reply is still a valid one. That being, If one of the big guys, the people with access, the rating board, or what ever non-offensive term you want to use, happen not to agree with someone's opinion than that person would be marked down or looked upon unfavorably in this system. That is all.

butlerbulldogs
05-04-2005, 11:36 PM
i think it just takes longer to read the good news or bad news of late

TeamDunn
05-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Elite is a term, it represents those that "have". How hard is that? Now, how in my original post was I disagreebly disagreeing? If you guys have your boxers in a bunch over the term elite I am amazed, it is not as though I were calling you a liberal :) (joking) It is simply a term, and I am being raked for using it. No personal attacks have occured, while the substance of my questions have gone unanswered.

And yes, this is now officially a rant. And for that I apologize, but my original point to TD's reply is still a valid one. That being, If one of the big guys, the people with access, the rating board, or what ever non-offensive term you want to use, happen not to agree with someone's opinion than that person would be marked down or looked upon unfavorably in this system. That is all.

I just got back from the game or I would have answered you several posts back.

I don't care if we agree or disagree on any topic, that is not how this "voting" is supposed to be done. But you call the people that have access to that forum Elite and say that none of us will bother to vote to get people in there...what the heck do you think we have been doing the last TWO days?

And I am talking about your attitude, your rudeness with regards to being irritated at this new way of doing things. You don't have to like it, but tossing out little slurs ABOUT the very people that need to vote you in is not getting you any votes. It has nothing to do with agreeing with you or disagreeing with you...it is a matter of if you can't be patient and give us a chance to vote people in there then I am not even going to bother voting "you" (anyone that is being rude about it) in.

Several of us are trying to get people in there as best and as fast as we can. Of course those that have been around the board and we have gotten to know over the years will probably be voted in quicker. That is just because we know their posting style.

I was away from this board for several months and the only posts I have read from you (because of just getting back here) have been posts I would not want to read in the CRT forum. You are hurting yourself if you want to get in that forum. If you don't want to then by all means, carry on. :(

TeamDunn
05-04-2005, 11:45 PM
ps...The term Elite was tossed around here in a very negative way during the last change that was made (and changed back). So it does sound very negative to many here.

Golgafrinchan
05-04-2005, 11:47 PM
I hope that this system is supposed to be like the one over at Slashdot. That is, you give points to people who provide interesting ideas -whether or not you agree with them-. If the people with the power to give reputation points can do this, then I'll be happy.

TeamDunn
05-04-2005, 11:48 PM
I hope that this system is supposed to be like the one over at Slashdot. That is, you give points to people who provide interesting ideas -whether or not you agree with them-. If the people with the power to give reputation points can do this, then I'll be happy.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

But please remember we only get to vote for 5 people a day!

LoganBuck
05-04-2005, 11:55 PM
I have been posting more trying to get noticed. I don't feel comfortable posting alot. I am unhappy that I can no longer post in response to those I understand. After awhile you know where people are coming from. This is like going to your favorite restraurant and finding they have changed the menu. You still order food, but it is just not the same.

bucknutdet
05-05-2005, 11:04 AM
"And I am talking about your attitude, your rudeness with regards to being irritated at this new way of doing things. You don't have to like it, but tossing out little slurs ABOUT ."

I am merely stating my opinion, my view. Please name one derogatory slur I tossed out there? I never cursed or attacked anyone personally. I merely used a term to describe those people who have the right to post and grade. I wasn't part of any discussion previously regarding that term so have no knowledge about it in a negative light. The term is not inherently offensive. You decided to make it so. However, that didn't stop you from personally attacking me and calling me rude. For that you probably owe me an apology. Please tell me about this "attitude" I am supposed to have? You yet to substantially defended one of your positions in the disagreement, but say I have an attitude????
If these privilged people use their voting wisely and vote for good posts that are logically supported, make good points or are maybe just funny, then I suppose over a very long period this system might work. However, if because a post is disagreed with but is still good, yet passed over, or worse, marked down as I have been, the system has already failed.

You said I was irritated, you brought emotion in, I merely stated an opinion.

You don't like what I had to say, and you marked me down for it.

TeamDunn
05-05-2005, 11:11 AM
I didn't mark you down for anything. I decided after the first day that it was more productive to give out the positive ratings to well deserved "Live" posters rather than negatives to those that will never make it to 200 anyway (because of themselves).

I am also no longer rating any current CRT members (well, I did, but did not realize it until afterward!) as they are already in there and I want to see other deserving peeps get in there.

And when you get to 200 I'll apologize, that is when I will know I was wrong. Since I did not give you a negative ding apparently others feel the same way I do.

KittyDuran
05-05-2005, 11:21 AM
I didn't mark you down for anything. I decided after the first day that it was more productive to give out the positive ratings to well deserved "Live" posters rather than negatives to those that will never make it to 200 anyway (because of themselves).

I am also no longer rating any current CRT members (well, I did, but did not realize it until afterward!) as they are already in there and I want to see other deserving peeps get in there.

And when you get to 200 I'll apologize, that is when I will know I was wrong. Since I did not give you a negative ding apparently others feel the same way I do.I've only given out positive points - and it was yesterday afternoon [my 5 point allottment] - so I'm chomping at the bit. I'm even writing down threads and names so I don't forget for today. I'm only rating those in Live! BTW.

Good to see more posts!

bucknutdet
05-05-2005, 11:24 AM
You called me rude. I called you no name, merely stated an opinion. You attacked me personally, and said that my post caused you not to want to vote for people. I had no knowledge the term "elite" was negative, here. I used it as at term to describe those who have. You have still yet to describe how I am to disagree with an idea? These are all things you said based upon my take on the forum. Am I not allowed to have an opinion diff than yours? If so, please tell me how to state it so that you're not offended. Please reply with something substantive so that I can "be a better poster" and learn from you. I am done here. ?You can have the last word.

TeamDunn
05-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Actually a quote from Boss (from another thread where the poster was packing up his marbles and leaving) will be the last word. :)

Fine. No one's forcing you to post here, so why are you if you're so unhappy?

zombie-a-go-go
05-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I am done here.

Yes, you are - with this line of "conversation," at least. You've said your piece; if you have any questions or concerns still unanswered, contact one of the mods or admins via PM and we'll sort it out there.

Thanks.