HotCorner
05-05-2005, 12:42 PM
I love the reaction by the students ... :laugh:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/mu/img/may05/students504.jpg

Gold: Pan it or dig it?
Surprise decision on MU's new nickname caps debate
By DON WALKER
Posted: May 4, 2005

Sensitive to those opposed to the Warriors nickname and unenthused by Golden Eagles, the Marquette University Board of Trustees on Wednesday moved in a new direction for the school's athletic teams.

Ladies and gentlemen . . . meet your Marquette Gold.

The surprise announcement was made by John F. Bergstrom, the chairman of the 38-member board of trustees, and university President Father Robert A. Wild, at a press conference at the Alumni Memorial Union.

Wild said the vote in favor of Gold was unanimous. The Gold will become official in July.

"I'm very pleased that we've chosen this direction for Marquette athletics," Wild said. "With Marquette Gold, the board has captured, I truly believe, decades of tradition in one profound term that symbolizes the high standards always met by our student athletes and our coaches."

The decision, arrived at after a two-hour discussion, capped a yearlong debate both on campus and among Marquette alumni around the country. The board met last September and December on the often contentious topic before Wednesday's meeting at an undisclosed campus site. While many had expected that the school would not elect to bring the Warriors name back, the decision to scrap the Golden Eagles came as a surprise.

Wild said that surveys found that fans were unenthusiastic about the Golden Eagles nickname and found it boring, weak and too common.

Bergstrom and Wild said they knew some Marquette supporters would be unhappy with the decision not to reinstate the Warriors nickname. But both said the school had to adhere to the highest possible standards in recognizing and appreciating people of all walks of life.

Wild said he had pondered the notion of reinstating Warriors. "But as we worked through it, we became convinced that we live in a different era than when the Warriors name was selected in 1954," he said. "The perspective of time has shown us that our actions, intended or not, can offend others. We must not knowingly act in a way that others will believe, based on their experience, to be an attack on their dignity as human beings. We cannot teach one principle about respect for human dignity in our classrooms, than fail to act by the same principle when making decisions."

Marquette coach Tom Crean said: "To me, it was very apparent there was going to be a change, and I think it will be a very significant part of Marquette because it stands for so many good things. Like anything else with change it takes time, but I'm behind any decision that is made by this school because I know the commitment that the powers that be have to making Marquette as successful as it can possibly be."

The Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council, a consortium of American-Indian tribes and bands in the region, had been opposed to the possibility of the school embracing Warriors again, saying that it was an affront to American-Indians. Ray DeBerry, the president of the council and chairman of the Red Cliff band of Lake Superior Chippewas, was unavailable for comment.

"I'm ecstatic and I'm appreciative that Marquette lived up to their ideals," said Darren J. Thompson, a member of the Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewas and a junior in political science and criminology at Marquette. "Everybody at home is happy, too."

Reaction among the MU faithful on Web sites devoted to Marquette athletics was swift and largely negative. Some commented that the decision was a copout, and the board acted in a politically correct way. Others said the board was right to move in a new direction with a new identity.

"Our family has 9 MU grads and/or students and we are all in shock," wrote one person in a chatroom.

"I am proud to be a graduate of Marquette and I will wear my gold colors with pride forever," another wrote.

Wild said he didn't believe alumni would withhold donations to the university.

Wild said the new nickname arose from discussions back in 1993-'94 when the school dropped Warriors as the team nickname and embraced Golden Eagles, and in more recent discussions.

For the board, the new name is being promoted as a blend of the new and old athletic traditions at Marquette. Those traditions include the old Golden Avalanche nickname, the Golden Eagles and the Gold Rush, the name of the student section at the Bradley Center during men's basketball games.

Wild also unveiled a new monogram for the school, which he said would help visually identify Marquette athletics. The new symbol will be stitched on all athletic uniforms, merchandise and will appear on the floor of the Al McGuire Court at the Bradley Center and Al McGuire Center.

With the Gold, the school is gambling that the new nickname will be embraced by students and alumni. The timing is also important; Wild said the board knew it had to act because the school will be joining the Big East Conference beginning in July.

Wild made brief mention of the fact that two prominent schools - Syracuse and Stanford - are clearly identified with a color. The Stanford Cardinal embrace red, while Syracuse athletes are widely known as the Orange.

Wild also indicated the students would have a hand in selecting a mascot to represent the Gold.

Steve4192
05-05-2005, 12:48 PM
The 'Gold' nickname will have an even shorter half-life than the 'Golden Eagles'. They really need to go back to Warriors and just change the logo to show a Norseman or Saxon warrior (or any other kind of white guy with a pointy stick) instead of a native american. Why the administration didn't take that approach in the first place has always befuddled me.

Puffy
05-05-2005, 01:04 PM
What a stupid new nickname.

LincolnparkRed
05-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Well at least they aren't Hoosiers - a person that resides in Indiana???

I went to Indiana for 4 years and that was the best definition I got on what a Hoosier was.

RedsBaron
05-05-2005, 02:02 PM
What a stupid new nickname.
I agree-it stinks. :thumbdown

Danny Serafini
05-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Could they ride the Syracuse Orange any harder by picking a name like that? And as a 'Cuse fan I hate the change from Orangemen to Orange. The only thing worse than coming up with a lousy name is stealing the idea for your lousy name from someone else.

Unassisted
05-05-2005, 02:10 PM
This is not without precedent in Wisconsin. Some years back, a high school there changed from an Indian nickname to the uber-inoffensive name "Purgolders." Purgolders is simply a combination of the school's team colors... purple and gold.

More evidence that folks there take this stuff seriously? There is a state law in Wisconsin which says that state universities are not permitted to play non-conference games against opponents with Indian nicknames. If Marquette wanted to play in-state opponents, they had to abandon the Warriors nickname. "Gold" pushes them farther down the path of least resistance.

Puffy
05-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Could they ride the Syracuse Orange any harder by picking a name like that? And as a 'Cuse fan I hate the change from Orangemen to Orange. The only thing worse than coming up with a lousy name is stealing the idea for your lousy name from someone else.

I hated that change as well.

RedsBaron
05-05-2005, 02:14 PM
"Warrior" does not necessarily mean American Indian. My dictionary defines "warrior" as "One engaged or experienced in battle."

Unassisted
05-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Could they ride the Syracuse Orange any harder by picking a name like that? And as a 'Cuse fan I hate the change from Orangemen to Orange. The only thing worse than coming up with a lousy name is stealing the idea for your lousy name from someone else.Bring back the Saltine Warrior? :)

Unassisted
05-05-2005, 02:16 PM
"Warrior" does not necessarily mean American Indian. My dictionary defines "warrior" as "One engaged or experienced in battle."All of the high schools I know of who had a "Warrior" mascot use/d an Indian costume. Therein lies the issue.

RedsBaron
05-05-2005, 02:17 PM
There is a state law in Wisconsin which says that state universities are not permitted to play non-conference games against opponents with Indian nicknames.
If Wisconsin wants to be consistent about this, it should require the University of Wisconsin to withdraw from the Big Ten. Why the distinction between conference and non-conference games? Heck, the whole STATE of Illinois is named after an Indian tribe-why not prohibit Wisconsin athletic teams from even entering Illinois?

RedsBaron
05-05-2005, 02:18 PM
All of the high schools I know of who had a "Warrior" mascot use/d an Indian costume. Therein lies the issue.
Quit using the mascot then.

westofyou
05-05-2005, 02:18 PM
"Warrior" does not necessarily mean American Indian. My dictionary defines "warrior" as "One engaged or experienced in battle."

It doesn't at Golden State but does at Mariemont.

I'm a Warrior until I die.

cumberlandreds
05-05-2005, 02:29 PM
All of the high schools I know of who had a "Warrior" mascot use/d an Indian costume. Therein lies the issue.

All they would have to do is drop the Indian and put soemone in battle fatigues as the "mascot". Shouldn't be that hard to do. I always thought this was the ultimate in trying to be PC with a nickname.

Roy Tucker
05-05-2005, 02:29 PM
If Wisconsin wants to be consistent about this, it should require the University of Wisconsin to withdraw from the Big Ten. Why the distinction between conference and non-conference games? Heck, the whole STATE of Illinois is named after an Indian tribe-why not prohibit Wisconsin athletic teams from even entering Illinois?
Isn't Wisconsin a native American name as well?

What's the mascot look like for Gold?

As a fan of the Reds, it's hard to criticize a team named after a color. :)

RedsBaron
05-05-2005, 02:31 PM
As a fan of the Reds, it's hard to criticize a team named after a color. :)
Naw, the Reds were named for communists. ;)

Unassisted
05-05-2005, 02:39 PM
All they would have to do is drop the Indian and put soemone in battle fatigues as the "mascot". Shouldn't be that hard to do. I always thought this was the ultimate in trying to be PC with a nickname.Can't do that - might offend the military or the ethnic group of the person wearing the costume. People are easily offended these days. <shrug>

jmcclain19
05-05-2005, 04:26 PM
I remember the uproar when Miami did the same thing to dispose of the "Redskins" nickname.

Not that I would have picked "Gold" as the team name - Who was on that committee?

"Well, it's a bold, strong color, symbolizing stregth and money, power.

And it's easy to spell for the cheerleaders."

LincolnparkRed
05-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Here is the loophole for Wisconsin Vs. Illinois:

There is a state law in Wisconsin which says that state universities are not permitted to play non-conference games against opponents with Indian nicknames.

This only effects them if one or both would leave the Big Ten

Puffy
05-05-2005, 04:48 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/sports/mu/img/may05/students504.jpg

Marquette has some ugly students.

Just sayin'

RANDY IN INDY
05-05-2005, 04:51 PM
When they go on a losing streak, will the call them the "Cold Gold?" Should be popular with a lot of the students. They always like their gold good and cold.

Boss-Hog
05-05-2005, 06:08 PM
It doesn't at Golden State but does at Mariemont.

I'm a Warrior until I die. Go Cowboys :)

KronoRed
05-05-2005, 06:13 PM
They need to change their names to Banana Sligs

Coolest name ever

westofyou
05-05-2005, 06:15 PM
They need to change their names to Banana Sligs

Coolest name ever

banana slugs only feed on coast redwoods, alas there aren't any in Cheeseland.

KronoRed
05-05-2005, 06:27 PM
..and there's Gold? ;)

LincolnparkRed
05-05-2005, 06:28 PM

Just sayin'

Those are probably the students that wind up being rich and famous and will donate lots of money to the university and have buildings named after them. I personally liked being at IU and seeing the plaque for Mark Cuban which unfortunately did not include a picture of him in his Mavericks jersey.

Redsland
05-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Was Gold Sox taken?

westofyou
05-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Was Gold Sox taken?

The Seattle Pilots were almost called the Green Sox.

Mutaman
05-05-2005, 07:20 PM
As a graduate of Wisconsin and a lifelong Marquette fan I have the following comments:

1. I wish the Badgers had decided not to play Illinois this past year- zero for three , end of home court winning streak. That Luther Head was really tough. And I'm sure all you Buckeye fans would love to see the Badgers withdraw from the big Ten.

2. I don't care what Marquette calls themselves as long as they put a competitive team on the court.

3. If a name reasonably bothers a group of people, change the name. What's the issue? Why should such a change bother anyone?

4. How about that Dwayne Wade?

Mutaman
05-05-2005, 07:21 PM

Just sayin'

Too much cheese.
But Dwayne Wade was just named one of People Magazine's 50 most beautiful people.

KronoRed
05-05-2005, 07:22 PM
The Seattle Pilots were almost called the Green Sox.

Really?

Maybe that name would have been luckier ;)

Chip R
05-05-2005, 07:57 PM
That's gold, Jerry! Gold! ;)

Jaycint
05-05-2005, 09:08 PM
3. If a name reasonably bothers a group of people, change the name. What's the issue? Why should such a change bother anyone?

I agree, time to get rid of that leprachaun and the Fighting Irish name. I'm a peaceful Irishman.

WVRed
05-05-2005, 09:18 PM
As a graduate of Wisconsin and a lifelong Marquette fan I have the following comments:

Clothing. That is why the Redskins are fighting so hard to keep their name because they would lose money on the Redskins name(including retro uniforms)

But at the same time, if I was offended by eagles because it was disrespectful to name a team after a bird that is nearly extinct, does that mean the Philadelphia Eagles and all HS teams should change their names? There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, and I dont find any of these names offensive.

4. How about that Dwayne Wade?

:thumbdown (UK Fan:()

RedsBaron
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Here is the loophole for Wisconsin Vs. Illinois:

This only effects them if one or both would leave the Big Ten
If it is some kind of moral issue that supposedly causes the Wisconsin state legislature not to allow Wisconsin state schools to play non-conference teams with Indian nicknames, then the same moral standard should apply to playing Big Ten schools with Indian nicknames.

Falls City Beer
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM

The word "warrior" is as remote from Native American ancestry as Greek Myth and Teutonic runes. "Warrior" comes into Modern English from Middle English via Old North French. The connection can only really exist at the level of mascot. There is no inherent relationship between "warrior" and Native American iconography.

Yachtzee
05-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Bring back the Saltine Warrior? :)

But everything tastes better on a Ritz. :)

Yachtzee
05-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Why not go with a name that goes with the school's identity or history?

Marquette Missionaries
Marquette Explorers
Marquette Joliets
Marquette Catholics
Marquette Fighting Jesuits

kxblue
05-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Go Cowboys :)

Go Braves!!!!

But I must say, Mariemont's new football, lax field is pretty nice

Yachtzee
05-05-2005, 10:37 PM
or better yet.

http://www.sessums.net/Liger.jpg
Your Marquette Ligers

Mutaman
05-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Why not go with a name that goes with the school's identity or history?

Marquette Missionaries
Marquette Explorers
Marquette Joliets
Marquette Catholics
Marquette Fighting Jesuits

How about the Marquette McGuires?

or the Marquette Butch Lee's?

Mutaman
05-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Clothing. That is why the Redskins are fighting so hard to keep their name because they would lose money on the Redskins name(including retro uniforms)

But at the same time, if I was offended by eagles because it was disrespectful to name a team after a bird that is nearly extinct, does that mean the Philadelphia Eagles and all HS teams should change their names? There needs to be a line drawn somewhere, and I dont find any of these names offensive.

:thumbdown (UK Fan:()

The key word is "reasonable".

I remember that triple double. If I recall, Al beat the Wildcats a couple of times too.

Boss-Hog
05-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Go Braves!!!!

But I must say, Mariemont's new football, lax field is pretty nice Didn't know Mariemont got a new field. I'm assuming you went to IH - when did you graduate?

Roy Tucker
05-06-2005, 09:43 AM
There are some very interesting team names...

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

Black Flies ---
College of the Atlantic (Bar Harbor, Maine)

Claim Jumpers ---
Columbia College-Hollywood (Los Angeles, California)

Dirtbags ---
California State University-Long Beach (Long Beach, California) (men's baseball only)

Eutectic ---
St. Louis College of Pharmacy (St. Louis, Missouri)

Gorloks ---
Webster University (St. Louis, Missouri)

Judges ---
Brandeis University (Waltham, Massachusetts)

Nads ---
Rhode Island School of Design (Providence, Rhode Island)

Skylights ---
Montana State University-Northern (Havre, Montana) (women's team)

Stormy Petrels ---
Oglethorpe University (Atlanta, Georgia)

Yeomen ---
Oberlin College (Oberlin, Ohio) (men's team)
Yeowomen ---
Oberlin College (Oberlin, Ohio) (women's team)

Danny Serafini
05-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Bring back the Saltine Warrior? :)

Forgot all about him! He needs to stay retired though, there's just something oddly cool about a big giant orange running around.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/top10/gfx/syracuse_orange.jpg

HotCorner
05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Not so fast ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2058085

MILWAUKEE -- Amid heavy criticism over its new nickname, the Marquette board of trustees decided Wednesday to abandoned the name Gold and let students, alumni and faculty vote for a new moniker.

The decision came a week after trustees voted to switch the school's nickname to Gold from the Golden Eagles, which the school took in 1994.

In the last week, people upset about the new name flooded the school with angry phone calls, letters and e-mails.

"No one ever thought there would be as much reaction as we got," board chairman John Bergstrom said.

The school will hold a vote via the Internet and allow people to pick from 10 names, university president Robert Wild said.

Wild said the 10 names won't include the Warriors, the university's nickname during a run that saw it win the NCAA men's basketball tournament in 1977 under coach Al McGuire.

The outcry over the university's nickname started about a year ago at graduation when two trustees offered the school $1 million each to go back to Warriors, which it dropped in favor of the Golden Eagles because the name and logo offended some American Indian groups.

Some alumni and students of the Jesuit university couldn't accept the Golden Eagles nickname.

The school hasn't scheduled the Internet vote yet, though Wild said it would take place soon.

Wild said trustees decided to let people vote because they felt much of the negative reaction over the Gold nickname arose because they didn't included others in the decision.

Puffy
05-11-2005, 06:28 PM
The Marquette Giant ******s!!

No, wait, The Marquette Turd Sandwiches!!

Unassisted
05-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Maybe they could change the nickname to "Worriers?" Although that might offend the fearful. Here's a mascot idea...

http://oaks.nvg.org/emscrim.gif

registerthis
05-12-2005, 10:35 AM
There are some very interesting team names...

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

Black Flies ---
College of the Atlantic (Bar Harbor, Maine)

Claim Jumpers ---
Columbia College-Hollywood (Los Angeles, California)

Dirtbags ---
California State University-Long Beach (Long Beach, California) (men's baseball only)

Eutectic ---
St. Louis College of Pharmacy (St. Louis, Missouri)

Gorloks ---
Webster University (St. Louis, Missouri)

Judges ---
Brandeis University (Waltham, Massachusetts)

Nads ---
Rhode Island School of Design (Providence, Rhode Island)

Skylights ---
Montana State University-Northern (Havre, Montana) (women's team)

Stormy Petrels ---
Oglethorpe University (Atlanta, Georgia)

Yeomen ---
Oberlin College (Oberlin, Ohio) (men's team)
Yeowomen ---
Oberlin College (Oberlin, Ohio) (women's team)
How could they possibly leave out the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs?

gonelong
05-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Maybe they could change the nickname to "Worriers?" Although that might offend the fearful. Here's a mascot idea...

http://oaks.nvg.org/emscrim.gif

Bwaahahahah ahhahahahaha

BAHAHAHAHEhae *snort* *snort* hahehahgeeheheh ehhehehehe *snort* hahahahahah.

aha aha aha ... whew a ha ha aaaaa

Good one.

cumberlandreds
05-12-2005, 11:57 AM
The Marquette Marxists? Catchy anyway.

Redsland
05-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Marky Marquette?

:)

REDREAD
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
There is a state law in Wisconsin which says that state universities are not permitted to play non-conference games against opponents with Indian nicknames. .

Just when you thought politicians couldn't make any stupider laws, they outdo themselves. What would happen if a Wisconsin school got paired up with a school with an Indian nickname in the NCAA's? Would they have to forfeit?

Unassisted
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Just when you thought politicians couldn't make any stupider laws, they outdo themselves. What would happen if a Wisconsin school got paired up with a school with an Indian nickname in the NCAA's? Would they have to forfeit?I believe there is an exemption for postseason tournaments, too.

paintmered
05-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Just when you thought politicians couldn't make any stupider laws, they outdo themselves. What would happen if a Wisconsin school got paired up with a school with an Indian nickname in the NCAA's? Would they have to forfeit?

Nevermind Wisconsin is in the same conference as the Fighting Illini.

paintmered
05-12-2005, 08:39 PM
How could they possibly leave out the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs?

Rose-Hulman's mascot is the Fighting Engineers.

Jaycint
05-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Rose-Hulman's mascot is the Fighting Engineers.

I hear those Fighting Engineers are a rowdy bunch. :laugh: