PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys, but we have to pull the plug on the large non-BB threads

Boss-Hog
05-06-2005, 09:29 PM
As the vast majority of you guys know, our site has been experiencing bandwidth related problems for the past several months. I've been in constant contact with our host (the person who provides us the web space that RedsZone resides on) and the vBulletin team in an attempt to find ways around the problem without upgrading to a dedicated server. Upgrading to a dedicated server (meaning our site would be the only one hosted on the computer) would increase site performance but would more than double our monthly cost. Our host has been extremely patient with us, despite our site consistently exceeding our allotted bandwidth and I don't believe we've ever been charged for it. That in itself is remarkable, given that hosting companies use bandwidth overages similar to cellular phone companies charging users for minute overages. In short, we've been extremely fortunate.

Anyway, GIK and I have tried disabling some potentially bandwidth intensive parts of the site to see if that made any difference in the big picture. We tried disabling avatars, restricting guest (and therefore search engine bot) access and a variety of other things. None of these measures made an appreciable difference. In talking with our Joe, our host, as well as the vBulletin team and a RedsZone user who has a better understanding of the dynamics of web applications than I do, it's clear to me that the "Be the last person to post" threads are undoubtedly a bandwidth hog. GIK and I have bent over backwards to accommodate the core group of users who participate in these threads, despite them having little to do with baseball. We tried periodically creating new threads and to be honest, the bandwidth improvement was minimal.

I recognize that there are people who get a considerable amount of enjoyment out of them, so while we are going to have to disallow them from the site, I am going to create a sub forum called "Be the last person to..." This forum will be directly link to a newly created forum on our backup forum (the EZBoard) that anyone will be welcome to continue to post similar style threads. You should not have to register on this board to post messages, so you won't even have to create a new account to post there. I see this as a win-win for both parties - hopefully, this takes care of our bandwidth problems and keeps our monthly costs what they currently are and it gives you guys a place to continue these threads. Please note that this forum will NOT be moderated nor have any direct association with RedsZone.com, outside of the link to the forum. This policy will cover all "Be the last person to...", "Word Association", "XXX retains the Name", et. all. Basically, I'm talking about anything that is going to generate a LOT of responses and be viewed by a LOT of people in the non-baseball forum. You're more than welcome to post any feedback and/or questions about the new policy here.

Boss

paintmered
05-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Do I like it? Not really. But I can live with it and I don't think this is going to stop us threadies from doing what we do.

Threadies to the "other" redszone!

Keep doing what you need to do Boss. :)

KronoRed
05-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Understandable Boss.

TeamDunn
05-06-2005, 09:34 PM
What if we raise the cash for a new server and at least a years worth of monthly fees?

Boss-Hog
05-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Do I like it? Not really. But I can live with it and I don't think this is going to stop us threadies from doing what we do.

Threadies to the "other" redszone!

Keep doing what you need to do Boss. :) Paint, the way I see it, outside of the URL not having "RedsZone.com" in it, you guys are going to continue to be able to do what you've been doing. Am I missing something here?

westofyou
05-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Redsfaithful has offered up his site for that thread, it is a nested thread system too.

I'd think about it if the offer still stands.

Boss-Hog
Redsfaithful has offered up his site for that thread, it is a nested thread system too.

I'd think about it if the offer still stands. That would be fine with me, as well. Whatever solution the posters like best works for me.

TeamDunn
I'll donate an autographed Danny Graves jersey for an auction! :evil:

The ezboard is fine...I am just looking at longterm growth. :)

Thanks for everything!

paintmered
05-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Paint, the way I see it, outside of the URL not having "RedsZone.com" in it, you guys are going to continue to be able to do what you've been doing. Am I missing something here?

Yeah, that's what I meant by that.

This isn't going to change what we do, just where we do it.

KronoRed
05-06-2005, 09:38 PM
This isn't going to change what we do, just where we do it.

Exactly

Lets not make a huge deal about this, Boss and GIK have bent over backwards to try and keep the threads around, lets give this a shot for now and maybe in the future, a dedicated server, we can come back :)

savafan
05-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Now maybe I can catch up to Krono's post count. :p:

KronoRed
05-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Now maybe I can catch up to Krono's post count. :p:

;)

TeamCasey
05-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Holy cow! I actually got the last post!

We figured it was coming.

Cue up "Suicide is painless", someone turn out the lights.

TeamDunn
05-06-2005, 09:51 PM
(Not meant as a solution to bring back the last post threads...)

Just wondering...the posts in the Non BB forum go as far back as Feb 2002. Would it help to get rid of a year or two, as well as deleting the old large threads in this forum? I'm talking for current bandwidth issues, to help out the server.

westofyou
05-06-2005, 09:54 PM
The old posts have nothing to do with it, the drain comes from the indexing of the pages being viewed.

KronoRed
05-06-2005, 09:54 PM
/\
I don't think so TD..those are just sitting on the server, unless someone is opening them up they don't use any bandwidth

I don't think.

TeamDunn
05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
People do go back and read older threads...I was catching up on the orignal installments of the "last" threads today. I hope that didn't help crash us today/night :(

KronoRed
05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
People do go back and read older threads...I was catching up on the orignal installments of the "last" threads today. I hope that didn't help crash us today/night :(

One person wouldn't do it TD :)

SandyD
05-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Paint, the way I see it, outside of the URL not having "RedsZone.com" in it, you guys are going to continue to be able to do what you've been doing. Am I missing something here?

The only thing about the Ezboard threads ... they've started to put ads within them. If Redsfaithful's offer still stands, and it's not too much of a drain on his site, that would be a better option. If not, the ads would likely just become part of the thread and something to comment on anyway. :D

Thanks, Boss, for doing all you have to keep us up and running.

TeamDunn
05-06-2005, 10:00 PM
One person wouldn't do it TD :)

Whew. I had thread guilt there for a minute. :eek:

TeamCasey
05-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Just ditch the whole non-baseball side.

KronoRed
05-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Just ditch the whole non-baseball side.

What about the politics? ;)

Boss-Hog
05-06-2005, 10:04 PM
The old posts have nothing to do with it, the drain comes from the indexing of the pages being viewed. WoY is right. The strain comes from thousands and thousands of views in a thread. The system has to order the thread by post (i.e. first to last) and when you're talking about a LOT of posts in a thread that's accessed frequently, that's a lot of strain.

Boss-Hog
05-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Just ditch the whole non-baseball side. I think the non-baseball forum still serves a purpose. It's been around since the board's inception, afterall. If people decide they don't want to use it, we'll evaluate it if and when that happens. :)

RFS62
05-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I think the non-baseball forum still serves a purpose. It's been around since the board's inception, afterall. If people decide they don't want to use it, we'll evaluate it if and when that happens. :)

damn, Boss. You're channeling DanO.

TeamDunn
05-06-2005, 10:09 PM
damn, Boss. You're channeling DanO.

:laugh: :laugh:

Boss, kindly send all your pitchers over to Dan O.

Boss-Hog
05-06-2005, 10:09 PM
damn, Boss. You're channeling DanO. That does (scarily) sound like something that'd come out of his mouth! :laugh:

RedsBaron
05-06-2005, 10:11 PM
The Reds may solve the bandwidth problem. If they keep playing like they have for the last ten days, this board may become a ghost town by June, unfortunately.

RosieRed
05-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Am I missing the link to the EZ board? Can the site's address be posted here?

RBA
05-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Can a link to Redszone.com be embeded into the the ezboard forum?

RBA
05-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Am I missing the link to the EZ board? Can the site's address be posted here?

Just click on "Miscellaneous" and the link is posted there. http://www.redszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

RosieRed
05-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks RBA.

ws1990reds
05-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Boss, I think that the "be the last person" threads are useless in a community sense. They're just 'post padders'. Just my opinion, and of course I agree with your decision and understand why you chose to kill those threads. :beerme:

Redsfaithful
05-06-2005, 11:57 PM

I'd think about it if the offer still stands.

The offer still stands, and I'd love for you guys to use my site instead of the EzBoard site.

http://www.redreporter.com/

The diary function is what you'd be using, and the thread would be on the right hand side of the page.

If you guys would prefer the Ezboard site that's fine too I just wanted to offer again.

snowstorm
05-07-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm just continually amazed at how Boss and GIK try to make everybody happy. I don't know too many people that would go to the trouble they've gone to.

You guys get two thumbs up!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

ochre
05-07-2005, 01:41 AM
try this out http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php

See if you like it. There are several different setups I can use.

KronoRed
05-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Looks good ochre..just registered

ochre
05-07-2005, 02:02 AM
avatar support and java chat included free of charge :)

TeamDunn
05-07-2005, 07:39 AM
try this out http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php

See if you like it. There are several different setups I can use.

Can the link to the ezboard be changed to this new board by Ochre? It is a really cool board Ochre! Thank you!

cincinnati chili
05-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Be the last person to post a complaint about Boss' change in the policy!

Boss-Hog
05-07-2005, 10:57 AM
I changed the link to ochre's board. Thanks ochre. :)

ochre
05-07-2005, 11:00 AM
No problem

TeamCasey
05-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Nice job, ochre

nysupport
05-07-2005, 02:00 PM
(Not meant as a solution to bring back the last post threads...)

Just wondering...the posts in the Non BB forum go as far back as Feb 2002. Would it help to get rid of a year or two, as well as deleting the old large threads in this forum? I'm talking for current bandwidth issues, to help out the server.

Pruning the forums would definately decrease the size of the database (currently very large) and would reduce a LOT of sql activity... that might help

Boss-Hog
05-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Pruning the forums would definately decrease the size of the database (currently very large) and would reduce a LOT of sql activity... that might help Thanks Joe, I'll prune some old threads.

KronoRed
05-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Three cheers for ochre :)

jmcclain19
05-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the offer for that JD. Most appreciative that you would do that. Same to you ochre

TRF
05-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Thread life and activity are the keys to bandwidth issues. The "be the last to post..." types of threads are the biggest resource and bandwidth hogs this site has outside of the game threads.

Which still puts us at square one.

Well, I tried something today, and until RZ gets a text based theme as an option, I'll do this for all game thread posting times. In Firefox, you can disable images for a site, so for the game thread, i did that. I couldn't use the quote feature, and the one time i wanted to use it, i turned the image back on, but for most of the game i ran with no images. passing text only greatly reduces the load. I would suggest everyone get Firefox, and try this at least once. Anything we can do to lower the bandwidth usage we should do.

ochre
05-07-2005, 09:53 PM
My host seems to be having a problem. Looks to be network related, as my site, a friend's site that I know hosts through them, and their own sales site are all down.

Hopefully it will be back up momentarily.

Red Leader
05-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks for doing that Ochre. Is there a reason I lost xxx number of posts?

Unassisted
05-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks for doing that Ochre. Is there a reason I lost xxx number of posts?Boss's Post #45 in this thread probably has something to do with that. When old threads go away, so does any record of your posts within them.

KronoRed
05-07-2005, 11:54 PM
I had noticed last post thread one had a twin with half the posts,(a split or something?) it's gone now..but it took half the posts even though the real thread is still around.

TeamDunn
05-07-2005, 11:56 PM
About 2 years worth of posts were deleted...that would probably be why the post counts went down.

Boss-Hog
05-08-2005, 02:28 AM
That's exactly right.

remdog
05-10-2005, 03:11 PM
I know that there is a group of posters here that basically lived for the 'Last Poster' thread. I hope that this solution allows them to continue to enjoy their conversations with each other and also solves the bandwidth problem

Rem