PDA

View Full Version : Another Computer Problem

GAC
05-07-2005, 05:44 AM
My son is ready to get his driver's license. I hope he doesn't crash the car like he does his computer. :p:

He is getting this message on reboot...

"NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart".

It stops at this point on the screen and I couldn't go any farther.

I "googled" it and found that this problem is only found with Windows 2000/XP operating systems. My son has XP.

Cause:

1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
4. Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is
usingf FAT32.
6. New hard disk drive being added.
7. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
8. Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
9. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

I've gone into his BIOS and checked what I know as far as boot order, and it is what it's suppose to be.... floppy disk, CD-Rom, SCSI. I even reset the BIOS/CMOS to default settings.

I was able to get it into MS-DOS and run FDISK which went in and fixed several bad clusters and the fact it was misreporting the memory. But that didn't fix the problem.

So I decided to format computer. I've gotten to be an expert at that in this household. ;)

But it won't let me. At least not the way I'm use to doing it....

I don't have an emergency s/u floppy disk for XP, so I used the one I have for win98. That was the only way I could get past this error message into MS-DOS. I then type A:\ format C: /s

It start to format, but stops at 47% and says insufficient memory.

Are there other ways to format that anyone else knows?

Of the above 9 items, and knowing my "tinkering" son, I think it's most likely 3-4-7-8. I've already checked, or can eliminate the other options.

Thanks for any assistance.

ws1990reds
05-07-2005, 07:17 AM
UPDATE: After re-reading your post, it appears that your hard drive is damaged. A trojan could have done this, though it's most likely just wear and tear. If you can't format your harddrive with format.com, then it's time to think about a new hard drive. Still, try deleting the partitions first with fdisk, then doing the format command. Perhaps recreating the primary partition with fdisk will restore the missing boot sector in which NTLDR resides. Best of luck!
---------------

GAC, get yourself a floppydisk that has system files on it (i.e., fdisk, format.com). This is to format it without using the XP cd to do so:

- insert and boot to floppy disk
- boot withOUT cdrom support
- run fdisk command
- choose large disk support (assuming you have a large hard drive)
- view your partition table to confirm that all partitions are there
- delete all partitions, unless you just want to delete the C:\ partition
- create a primary partition
- set it to active mode
- if you are creating other partitions, then create a logical partition, then off that create some extended partitions. This depends entirely on how many partitions you want. I like using partitons to separate functionality.
- view parititon table again to ensure it is correct
- exit fdisk and reboot to floppy disk WITH cdrom support
- run format.com like this ("format c: /s") without the double quotes
- format any other partitions (unless you want to do so from within XP, but this time without the /s flag.
- change to cdrom drive.
- run setup.exe, or you can just boot to the cdrom drive by leaving your floppy disk out of its drive or changing the boot sequence from within BIOS

This webpage:

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articles/12284.aspx

will give you some insight into what this NTLDR business is all about. There could be a number of things wrong at this point. You didn't explain any sympoms (what happens before the PC crashed), so it's hard to say what would cause this NTLDR issue. As of right now I'm inclined to think it could be any of these [* = more likely] (most likely just one of them):

- * trojan destroyed the boot sector of the hard drive
- your son messed with BIOS
- * the hard drive is going out (any funny noises such as clicking or grinding? what about much longer than usual load times or choppiness with the mouse cursor?)
- the processor is going out, since NTLDR makes changes to the processor's memory modes, if the processor is damaged, NTLDR won't be able to work with it.

I hope I have been able to help you. :beerme:

Spring~Fields
05-07-2005, 09:27 AM

When I fixed that problem on one of my computers I used the XP disk to fix it, because that file was either missing or corrupt, the file had to be replaced.

FDISK and Reformating won't fix that problem unless you want to redo your hard drive and reload everything, then of course when you put the op system back on for a clean install it would fix it......too much work for a simple file replacement.

ws1990reds
05-07-2005, 01:48 PM

When I fixed that problem on one of my computers I used the XP disk to fix it, because that file was either missing or corrupt, the file had to be replaced.

FDISK and Reformating won't fix that problem unless you want to redo your hard drive and reload everything, then of course when you put the op system back on for a clean install it would fix it......too much work for a simple file replacement.

That will help in the future, but for the meantime he has already started the process of manual formatting. Likely the operating system has other problems, too, so he might as well start clean. :beerme:

ochre
05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
check to make sure there isn't a floppy in the floppy drive.

GAC
05-07-2005, 03:26 PM
It won't let me format guys. I wish I could, cause I could then reload everything. It's get to the 47% range and then says insufficient memory and stops there.

I can get to the XP Setup and type "R" which is suppose to help repair XP. I tell it to format the active partition, which I think it has, and then it starts to reload XP. But it keeps freezing up after it gets about 35% of the files installed.

This all started when we lost power the other night. My son didn't mess with the BIOS because he doesn't even know what it is or how to get into it.

I'm beginning to think it is my hard drive also. It has been gradually acting funny over the last month or so, and reporting insufficient memory. I'm thinking it may have finally puked on me.

It's a Western Digital, model 26400B. It only has about 5 GB of memory. The computer is about 5 years old. So I'm gonna try and find another hard drive that is cost-effective.

GAC
05-07-2005, 03:33 PM
UPDATE: After re-reading your post, it appears that your hard drive is damaged. A trojan could have done this, though it's most likely just wear and tear. If you can't format your harddrive with format.com, then it's time to think about a new hard drive. Still, try deleting the partitions first with fdisk, then doing the format command. Perhaps recreating the primary partition with fdisk will restore the missing boot sector in which NTLDR resides. Best of luck!

I can get to the option in XP Setup to delete the partition. But I am unable to format. At least not by A:\ format C: /s

Is there another way to do it? Not familiar with using the format.com.

Do I need an XP boot disk to work in conjunction with my XP CD? I downloaded a XP quick boot file and burned it to a floppy.

Where can I get a floppydisk that has system files on it? What files do I then need? Can I get them from my computer which is also XP?

I'm gona try and give what you list below a shot.

Thanks for your assistance 1990. :thumbup:

GAC, get yourself a floppydisk that has system files on it (i.e., fdisk, format.com). This is to format it without using the XP cd to do so:

- insert and boot to floppy disk
- boot withOUT cdrom support
- run fdisk command
- choose large disk support (assuming you have a large hard drive)
- view your partition table to confirm that all partitions are there
- delete all partitions, unless you just want to delete the C:\ partition
- create a primary partition
- set it to active mode
- if you are creating other partitions, then create a logical partition, then off that create some extended partitions. This depends entirely on how many partitions you want. I like using partitons to separate functionality.
- view parititon table again to ensure it is correct
- exit fdisk and reboot to floppy disk WITH cdrom support
- run format.com like this ("format c: /s") without the double quotes
- format any other partitions (unless you want to do so from within XP, but this time without the /s flag.
- change to cdrom drive.
- run setup.exe, or you can just boot to the cdrom drive by leaving your floppy disk out of its drive or changing the boot sequence from within BIOS

This webpage:

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articles/12284.aspx

will give you some insight into what this NTLDR business is all about. There could be a number of things wrong at this point. You didn't explain any sympoms (what happens before the PC crashed), so it's hard to say what would cause this NTLDR issue. As of right now I'm inclined to think it could be any of these [* = more likely] (most likely just one of them):

- * trojan destroyed the boot sector of the hard drive
- your son messed with BIOS
- * the hard drive is going out (any funny noises such as clicking or grinding? what about much longer than usual load times or choppiness with the mouse cursor?)
- the processor is going out, since NTLDR makes changes to the processor's memory modes, if the processor is damaged, NTLDR won't be able to work with it.

I hope I have been able to help you. :beerme:

GAC
05-07-2005, 03:39 PM
check to make sure there isn't a floppy in the floppy drive.

I have no problem smacking mods! :p:

Ravenlord
05-07-2005, 04:22 PM
between me and my friends, we've had NTLDR come up 7 times, and have had to replace the hard drive each time.

actually, when i started getting this error message, i kept trying to boot it from the disk and actually caused my hard drive to EXPLODE. the outer case was dented and the interior was burned badly...as a side it also killed my sound card and the ribbons connected to my burner and a-drive.

ws1990reds
05-07-2005, 04:31 PM
GAC, replace your hard drive. It's the most delicate piece of hardware in a computer. I hope your son didn't lose any valuable data. If you can't format the hard drive using format.com (the "format" command), then your hard drive has damaged sectors. Time to replace it.

Spring~Fields
05-07-2005, 07:03 PM
so he might as well start clean. :beerme:

Yes

I thought that he had fdisk and then reformated his hard drive and partitioned it. After that the XP disk will run the setup creating the new file system and partition etc.......he should be good to go.

GAC,
XP is not like Win Me, 98, or 95 etc. It has NTFS file system, you should be able to just stick the XP disk in and run it, tell it to do the NTFS and to replace the old, it should wipe out the old when it formats and partitions the NTFS. That should fix your problem. You possibly could have in the beginning gone to the disk and explored it for a new copy of the missing or corrupt file and then copy and pasted a new copy back to where the old one is corrupted, to replace the bad one or missing one.

RBA
05-07-2005, 07:39 PM
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=301730&pfp=srch1&tabtype=pi#moreinfo

80GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA133 Hard Drive

Manufacturer: Generic

Mfg Part #: L06P080

Product Number: 301730

Was: $94.99
$39.99 (57% Off)
SAVE $55 after:
$55.00 instant savings

EXPIRES TODAY.

RBA
05-07-2005, 07:52 PM
80GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA133 Hard Drive

Product Availability:
Product availability at stores around zip 43203 (Columbus, OH)

Store InformationDistanceAvailabilityAvailable
For Pick-Up? (http://www.compusa.com/products/availability_ispu.asp?product_code=301730)Columbus Easton Superstore (http://www.compusa.com/locations/storedetail.asp?store=533)
Columbus, OH 43219 (614) 428-4590 4 MilesOut-Of-StockNoColumbus Superstore (http://www.compusa.com/locations/storedetail.asp?store=541)
Columbus, OH 43235 (614) 766-4045 11 MilesIn-StockYes

ws1990reds
05-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes

I thought that he had fdisk and then reformated his hard drive and partitioned it. After that the XP disk will run the setup creating the new file system and partition etc.......he should be good to go.

GAC,
XP is not like Win Me, 98, or 95 etc. It has NTFS file system, you should be able to just stick the XP disk in and run it, tell it to do the NTFS and to replace the old, it should wipe out the old when it formats and partitions the NTFS. That should fix your problem. You possibly could have in the beginning gone to the disk and explored it for a new copy of the missing or corrupt file and then copy and pasted a new copy back to where the old one is corrupted, to replace the bad one or missing one.

Again, that's if the hard drive isn't damaged. If it has damaged sectors (which in my experience is usually the case when a manual formatting of a partition fails), then it's a no-go. Better safe than sorry with wasted time.

GAC, just get yourself a new hard drive and use the old one as a back-up (since I don't think you need the boot sector when a hard drive is acting as slave).

Yachtzee
05-07-2005, 09:47 PM
actually, when i started getting this error message, i kept trying to boot it from the disk and actually caused my hard drive to EXPLODE. the outer case was dented and the interior was burned badly...as a side it also killed my sound card and the ribbons connected to my burner and a-drive.

"Uncle Owen! This droid's got a bad motivator!"

Spring~Fields
05-07-2005, 11:00 PM
GAC, just get yourself a new hard drive and use the old one as a back-up (since I don't think you need the boot sector when a hard drive is acting as slave).

I think that you are right at this point then.

GAC
05-08-2005, 06:10 AM
I sincerely appreciate everyone's input, and yes, I think it is the hard drive.

Question: What type of hard drive do I have to purchase? I've been wanting to replace this one anyway and get a bigger one since this one had such limited storage. This one is only 6.44 GB ATA/33 5400 RPM model # AC26400-OORN Western Digital, and after putting XP in it a few months ago it took up alot, and at times, caused the computer to react slowly.

It looks like it's no big deal to replace; but do I have to cross reference this Western Digital and get one that is compatible as far as the hookup/connectors, or does that matter?

I'm assuming it has to be ATA, because the one I have says it's ATA/33, which means the hard drive transfers data at 33MB/Sec. So how do I determine what this computer will support? Can I get an ATA/100?

I'm looking at a Western Digital WD400EB DMA/ATA-100 (ultra). It's an internal 3.5", 5400 RPM 40 GB ATA 100 40 pin/DC. It being an ultra though, will that present a mounting problem?

As far as losing data - that is no big deal because my son didn't really have anything important stored on this computer. Due to it's age, he just used it to play a few video games that he liked and to be able to browse the 'net. So it won't take me long to re-load what he had on there.

As far as installation, do I have to do anything in the BIOS after installing? And once I get it installed, will I then be able to just simply load XP back in? This XP (with Service Pack 2) is a home version upgrade. I think (but not sure) that I have to reload the Win98SE in first, and then do the XP upgrade.

Spring~Fields
05-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Question: What type of hard drive do I have to purchase?

Western Digital

"Old" computers as you use the word, I would go cheap, 40G or less, you have to decide what is right for you. (personal preferences)

It looks like it's no big deal to replace;

They are easy to replace,
Check how your current is installed, do you need brackets or not, HD's come with the hardware, make sure your new one does, tighten it in and simply plug the ribbon and power source plug back in.

Make sure you get the jumper pins set correctly on the new HD

but do I have to cross reference this Western Digital and get one that is compatible as far as the hookup/connectors, or does that matter?

Connectors are standard

I'm looking at a Western Digital WD400EB DMA/ATA-100 (ultra). It's an internal 3.5", 5400 RPM 40 GB ATA 100 40 pin/DC. It being an ultra though, will that present a mounting problem?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=36

for more specific information or questions that you might have.

When you say "old" computer you always make me nervous, some aged computers do have problems in the bios with the newer HD, some may not be that "old" as you use the term losely and if in the past 4-5 years the computer was built it probably won't have any bios problems with it. In the instructions of the new HD, you might run into some ambiguous wording that causes you to error, I think that all you will have to do is make sure that the jumper pins are set correctly (set to MASTER or Single) and then let XP do the rest as far as formating and partitioning, use the NTFS files system.

You can set up your old HD to be a backup or secondary storage by setting it to (Slave) and enabling it in the Bios setup (we set ours to Auto-Master and Slave). If you have the bays to hold it.

As far as installation, do I have to do anything in the BIOS after installing? And once I get it installed, will I then be able to just simply load XP back in? This XP (with Service Pack 2) is a home version upgrade. I think (but not sure) that I have to reload the Win98SE in first, and then do the XP upgrade.

You should be able to load XP without loading Win98SE. (Clean install)

XP will do a search to see if you have a version, and when it says it cannot find a version, you then place your WinSE98 disk into the CD drive and point to that drive so XP can find your qualifying copy and then XP should begin to load. After XP is installed, then if you have the SP2 disk you load that, then go to Windows updates to see if you need anything more.

Helpful links from Western Digital Tech Info and other.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999

GAC
05-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Western Digital

"Old" computers as you use the word, I would go cheap, 40G or less, you have to decide what is right for you. (personal preferences)

I am going to go cheap. I found the exact same HD for $27; but since I am replacing it I want to go slightly bigger. I'd like to find an inexpensive 20 GB WD HD; but looking around the internet at various places I may as well go 40 GB because the cost is not that great in difference.

I'm still shopping around at this point.

If the current is ATA/33 then can I get an ATA100?

They are easy to replace,
Check how your current is installed, do you need brackets or not, HD's come with the hardware, make sure your new one does, tighten it in and simply plug the ribbon and power source plug back in.

It looks like it is pretty easy to do. It's mounted in a slide type bracket in conjunction with the CD-ROM (on top). Looks like it has 4 screws to pop it out, then unplug ribbon.

Make sure you get the jumper pins set correctly on the new HD

Yeah. I read where you have to set it to be either primary or master, and since it wil be the only HD I just have to make sure I set it at master.

When you say "old" computer you always make me nervous, some aged computers do have problems in the bios with the newer HD, some may not be that "old" as you use the term losely and if in the past 4-5 years the computer was built it probably won't have any bios problems with it. In the instructions of the new HD, you might run into some ambiguous wording that causes you to error, I think that all you will have to do is make sure that the jumper pins are set correctly (set to MASTER or Single) and then let XP do the rest as far as formating and partitioning, use the NTFS files system.

The computer, which is not a brand name, was built in 2000-2001.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure I was using FAT32 since I had 98SE in it and bought the XP upgrade.

When I get the new HD will it ask me that option between the two types, or will it default to NTFS?

You can set up your old HD to be a backup or secondary storage by setting it to (Slave) and enabling it in the Bios setup (we set ours to Auto-Master and Slave). If you have the bays to hold it.

Nah. For the use/purpose of this computer, I'm just going with the one HD. So I'll insure the pins are set to master. I shouldn't have to do anything then in the BIOS. But once I am back online I mght "flash" that BIOS to insure it is updated. Good idea?

You should be able to load XP without loading Win98SE. (Clean install)

XP will do a search to see if you have a version, and when it says it cannot find a version, you then place your WinSE98 disk into the CD drive and point to that drive so XP can find your qualifying copy and then XP should begin to load. After XP is installed, then if you have the SP2 disk you load that, then go to Windows updates to see if you need anything more.

You're right. I had to put the 98 CD in to get it to recognize version, and then the XP CD in to get to XP setup (when I was trying to format it).

So I'll basically have to do the same in order to get it to do a clean install of XP? The XP disk I have says it comes with SP2; but I will still need to run Windows updates.

GAC
05-08-2005, 02:00 PM
I just bought a WD HD WD400 40 GB ATA100 for $15 on Ebay. The mounting specifications are the same as the current one. We'll see what happens.

KronoRed
05-08-2005, 03:38 PM
40 gigs?

Too small :D

Ravenlord
05-08-2005, 05:56 PM
i don't think i could survive on 40 gigs.

KronoRed
05-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I barely get by on 240 ;)

Spring~Fields
05-08-2005, 08:46 PM
But once I am back online I mght "flash" that BIOS to insure it is updated. Good idea?

I don't like that question on a older computer. Does that mother board manufacturer still give bios updates for a model that old ?

You should not need to flash the bios, you have to be careful doing that, you can fry the MB....................Flash the bios at your own risk....... :eek:

Every other response you made sounds like you have made a great buy and are well on your way. 33/100 ATA as far as I know won't be problem.

When I was reading at WD, it said that you set jumper pins to single instead of master, master they said was used when you are running master and slave drives.

Apparently you have a newer version of XP than I do since you indicate that it includes SP2.

Did you ever upgrade the memory on his computer? give him a bit more speed.

GAC
05-09-2005, 05:46 AM
I don't like that question on a older computer. Does that mother board manufacturer still give bios updates for a model that old ?

You should not need to flash the bios, you have to be careful doing that, you can fry the MB....................Flash the bios at your own risk....... :eek:

Then I ain't gonna do it professor. ;)

Every other response you made sounds like you have made a great buy and are well on your way. 33/100 ATA as far as I know won't be problem.

I just bought a second one (can't believe I won the bid @ Ebay) for $25. It's a WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar WD200BB 20GB EIDE Hard Drive. I guess it will be a back up unless I decide to install it as a secondary (slave in the computer), which I'm probably not going to do since it's not necessary.

When I was reading at WD, it said that you set jumper pins to single instead of master, master they said was used when you are running master and slave drives.

You're right. I printed out their page on how to set the jumpers, and I'm gonna only have the one HD.

Apparently you have a newer version of XP than I do since you indicate that it includes SP2.

I bought it this past winter.

Did you ever upgrade the memory on his computer? give him a bit more speed.

Yes I did, but it is not reading right. I bought a 256 MB memory to go aong with the two 128's that I had in there. But the memory is only reading in the 300's. I've made sure they are locked in properly, and even taken them out and switched them around to see if that would make a difference, but it doesn't seem to. Going from slot 1 thru 3, I have the order - 128, 128, 256. When I get the computer back up and running I'm gonna do so troubleshooting and see which one is not reading right.

Could the HD failing cause this to happen?

Overall - this computer has been a pretty good one. I bought it about 3 years ago for $100. It's networked (wireless) with my computer so my son can browse the 'net. And keeps him from fighting with his other two siblings over getting to use the 2nd computer. ;)

Like I said before - he doesn't store alot on it; but likes to use it primarily to play 2-3 of his fav video games. I put a better graphics card in it a few months ago (GeForce 64 MB) and put more memory in it (above); but this is the same one that I've been trying to get a better processor for. But I think I'm not gonna be able to do that. It has the biggest processor that that motherboard (by Shuttle) will allow. It's the biggest Pentium II - 450 Mhz. And I don't have the knowledge/expertise to be replacing motherboards right now. But knowing my three kids, I'll soon get to that level. Their compter screw ups have helped me to learn alot. :lol:

My son starts elctronic/computer training at JVS in Bellefontaine next year (he'll be a Jr), so he can figure out how to do it.

GAC
05-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Question on the file systems used....

I know older systems used a FAT16. Then there was FAT32. Now there is NTFS.

Where do I go to see what a computer is using? This computer, which is only 4 months old and has XP, I'm assuming uses the newer NTFS.

But my son's computer (the one that needs the HD), which had 98SE, and which I upgraded to XP, I thought was using FAT32. When I upgarded to XP did it automatically switch to NTFS?

What do I need to know about this when I get this new HD in and are loading XP back in? Right now, I'm thinking I may have to load 98SE back in first, and them do the upgrade to XP (home version). I'm gonna try and load XP first (clean install), but when I was trying to get into the XP Recovery console/Setup while troubleshooting my son's computer over the weekend, I kept getting a message when I had the XP CD in there that it didn't recognize the CD. I put the 98 CD in, which it recognized, and then it told me to put the XP CD in, and from there it went into XP Setup.

KronoRed
05-09-2005, 06:09 AM
To find the file system, double click My Computer on the desktop, then right click the hard drive then click properties..should see it listed under general

Spring~Fields
05-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Could the HD failing cause this to happen?

I don't think so.

Maybe one of the slots is bad, maybe one of the memory sticks is bad or not in the slot correctly, maybe the bios programming only recognizes memory up to a certain level and does not record higher amounts.

You have a point that you come to during the initial setup of XP where you tell it to convert from FAT32 and to NTFS if I recall correctly. On the new hard drive you tell it to do NTFS and it should partition and format the HD for you.

When you go to recovery console that is where I think the instructions become amibigous, leaving one to guess do I this or do I that, I usually guess wrong and get to learn the lesson twice or more. That console might be where your problems started, or should have been solved but they are not clear on how to use it correctly.....If the computer does not have any valuable files to be saved I just tell XP to reinstall, that formats the drive, checks for bad sectors, partitions it etc.

Have you used WD's diagnostic tools to see if the HD really was failing ? They have a tool that allows you to do a low level format, that is write zeroes and ones to your HD and wipe out everything on it, but they have tools that will tell you more definitively that you can use. I think that you can download them to a disk and then use them on that computer.

You'll do just fine with it and enjoy this next step of exploring the mystery world of the computer...... ;)

GAC
05-09-2005, 08:42 PM
OK. Next question (and different topic).

My son likes this computer game called House Of The Dead. it's made in England.

On this computer, when he tries to install it, he gets the following message....

16 Bit Windows Subsystem

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNTL.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver fialed DLL initialization. Chose "Close" to terminate application. If we chose "Ignore" then we get where a executable file wouldn't load. Bottomline - the game will not install on this computer. He can play it on his computer, but not this one.

Does the "Virtual Device Driver" refer to the graphics card in this computer, and that it can't handle this game? I put a GeForce in his computer and the game would play (that is until the HD went out ;) ).

What throws me off is that the path above lists Symantec in it. I don;t have any Symantec products on this computer. My Virus Protection/Firewall is provided by Charter and is a company out of Finland called FSecure.

Spring~Fields
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I don;t have any Symantec products on this computer.

I am not sure what the right answer is about your question, perhaps some of the gamers on here can better inform you, I better yield to the experts this time....the YOUNG and very experienced....... :)

On the Symantec/Nortons issue I am willing to bet that you have Symnatec/Norton files on the HD in question and in the registry, maybe even file folders in C: drive under programs.

Might need an upgrade from the game manufacturer, not sure.

GAC
05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
I am not sure what the right answer is about your question, perhaps some of the gamers on here can better inform you, I better yield to the experts this time....the YOUNG and very experienced....... :)

On the Symantec/Nortons issue I am willing to bet that you have Symnatec/Norton files on the HD in question and in the registry, maybe even file folders in C: drive under programs.

Might need an upgrade from the game manufacturer, not sure.

My son emailed the company that makes the game and they showed him how to replace those missing files. The game now works for him.

He has hope yet. ;)

RBA
05-10-2005, 09:20 PM
My son emailed the company that makes the game and they showed him how to replace those missing files. The game now works for him.

He has hope yet. ;)

Where there is a will, there's a way. Would he show the same initiatiave to learn how to fix the lawnmower, weedwacker or chainsaw?

ws1990reds
05-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Where there is a will, there's a way. Would he show the same initiatiave to learn how to fix the lawnmower, weedwacker or chainsaw?

I am not a natural mechanic. I bought a STIHL F5 46 weedwacker last year, and think I already broke it. When I was using it, it started to get hot (maybe that's normal?) and then started dying on me. A pull or two of the cord started it back up. Finally, it just died. Now I can't pull the cord at all. We don't have much money, and bought the most expensive one we could find. :cry:

Anyone on here want to sell me a tiller?

ws1990reds
05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
How in the world do you all use up 40-240 gigs of harddrive space?

I already asked in this thread if someone wanted to sell me a tiller, but now I have another "want ad". Anyone want to sell me a used laptop computer? ;)

Ravenlord
05-11-2005, 05:01 AM
I barely get by on 240 ;)my main drive is 120 gigs, my first slave drive is 80 and my second slave 72...i'm using about 80% capacity now (soon to be less then 1% after i wake up in the morning).

Ravenlord
05-11-2005, 05:04 AM
How in the world do you all use up 40-240 gigs of harddrive space? anime, games, research, more research, yet more research, creative writing and ancient arms and armor research.

GAC
05-11-2005, 09:07 AM
anime, games, research, more research, yet more research, creative writing and ancient arms and armor research.

You need to reduce them Thor pics down to jpeg buddy. ;)

Roy Tucker
05-11-2005, 09:36 AM
I am not a natural mechanic. I bought a STIHL F5 46 weedwacker last year, and think I already broke it. When I was using it, it started to get hot (maybe that's normal?) and then started dying on me. A pull or two of the cord started it back up. Finally, it just died. Now I can't pull the cord at all. We don't have much money, and bought the most expensive one we could find. :cry:?
In the spring, I always recycle my previous year's gas-oil mixture for 2-cycles and start with fresh gas and fresh oil. I've forgot once and gummed up my weed whacker and spent a Saturday morning cleaning it out.

You were using a gas-oil mixture, weren't you?

What about the warranty?

GAC
05-15-2005, 08:08 AM
In the spring, I always recycle my previous year's gas-oil mixture for 2-cycles and start with fresh gas and fresh oil. I've forgot once and gummed up my weed whacker and spent a Saturday morning cleaning it out.

You were using a gas-oil mixture, weren't you?

What about the warranty?

I had to do the same thing with my weed whacker this year. I forgot to drain it over the winter and it wouldn't start. So I drained it overnight and put new gas-oil mixture in, along with a new plug, and it fired right up.

GAC
05-15-2005, 08:19 AM
I got one of the new HD's in. No problem at all with installation. Also did an initial format. It was breeze. But once I got WIN98SE back in (I have to have 98 in for the XP home version upgrade to install) the computer moved slower then molasses. And it took forever to re-install the basic audio/video drivers.

When I tried to defrag, the computer said it couldn't due to numerous bad clusters. So I tried to fix it with ScanDisk, but to no avail. I assumed it may have bad tier(s) in the HD. So I contacted the guy who I bought the HD off of and he was quite nice and helpful. He gave me a call and using FDisk to remove/create a new partition I got WIN98SE back in it.

Now my problem is geting the XP home version upgrade re-installed. I hit another wall.

I keep getting the message in Setup... "setup cannot copy the file: bootvid.dll"

When I retry it fails.

I got on Microssoft's webiste and found that it is caused by any of the following...

- dirty/damaged CD.
- PC133 RAM in a computer whose mothreboard requires PC100
- CD drive going bad.

I checked out the CD (which is new) and cleaned it to be sure.

I did install 256 MB of PC133 RAM in it a couple months ago, while the other is PC100. That could be the reason why it's only reading 320 MBRAM when it should be 512. I have it mix-matched. So I took the PC100 out of my daughter's computer and switched them.

We'll see what happens. I'm in the process now of still doing this all.

I hope it is not the CD drive. I really don't think it is since it installed WIN98SE with no problems.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that it was either a dirty CD or the RAM. :thumbup:

Spring~Fields
05-15-2005, 10:56 AM
I got one of the new HD's in. No problem at all with installation. Also did an initial format. It was breeze. But once I got WIN98SE back in (I have to have 98 in for the XP home version upgrade to install) the computer moved slower then molasses. And it took forever to re-install the basic audio/video drivers.

When I tried to defrag, the computer said it couldn't due to numerous bad clusters. So I tried to fix it with ScanDisk, but to no avail. I assumed it may have bad tier(s) in the HD. So I contacted the guy who I bought the HD off of and he was quite nice and helpful. He gave me a call and using FDisk to remove/create a new partition I got WIN98SE back in it.

Now my problem is geting the XP home version upgrade re-installed. I hit another wall.

I keep getting the message in Setup... "setup cannot copy the file: bootvid.dll"

When I retry it fails.

:bang: :lastyear: :yikes: :yikes: :all_cohol :all_cohol :all_cohol

GAC
05-15-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm still getting the same error message in the XP setup/installation about not being able to copy files. It has to be a "read" problem, which is either the CD or CD drive. The CD is pretty new and after inspection/cleaning I really can't see anything wrong with it. The CD drive has been in the computer a few years, but it read/installed WIN98SE just fine without any glitches.

So right now I am really at a loss as to what is causing this. XP is a pain in the :mooner:

I cross one bridge only to hit another wall. :rolleyes:

Spring~Fields
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Are all of your drivers updated from the manufacturer or Microsoft so that your older software or hardware works compatibly with XP ??

That sounds like your CD player isn't working right, that your XP disk is hanging up in it or something. Is the XP disk clean, is it scratched? Try reloading the XP after cleaning it, without doing anything creative, simply tell it to load where you have it presently, and it will wipe out your works and put XP on the new HD.

GAC,
You're not suppose to use canned beer foam and an air compressor to clean out the disk drives, they have canned air for that. :evil: :evil: