PDA

View Full Version : Is Your HS in the Top 1000?

WVRed
05-09-2005, 03:23 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7723397/site/newsweek/

Wyoming and Indian Hill are in the top 100. Pensacola, where I was about to go to college at, was 8th.

Looking currently to see if any in Kentucky and West Virginia are on the list...

Red Leader
05-09-2005, 03:43 PM
My HS came in at #853, which I thought was extrememly low. One reason might be that they went off of "the number of Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate tests taken by all students at a school in 2004 divided by the number of graduating seniors." Their ratio was 1.189.

So if a school has 1200 kids in the graduating class, you're pretty much going to have a lower ratio unless a great majority of those kids in the senior class took an AP test, correct? Basically, this formula penalizes large schools vs smaller schools, is that correct to say?

KronoRed
05-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Well the high school I was supposed to go to came in 4th..but I went somewhere else so that's a hollow victory ;)

15fan
05-09-2005, 04:27 PM
In big, bold letters, the title of the article says:

"The Complete List of the 1,000 Top U.S. Schools"

Then the first line says:

"Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews"

So I can either assume that

a) No private school was good enough to make the top 1,000

or

b) The title of the article needs to be changed to indicate that this is merely a ranking of the top public schools.

Either way, I think there are a few flaws with the scholar's methodology. There is no possible way that the best place in the entire country to be a high schooler is next door in Alabama...

WVRed
05-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Only two schools from West Virginia that I could find. George Washington(Charleston) and Morgantown High.

Unassisted
05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I think school districts in my area are going to squawk about this survey's methodology. Neither of the two high schools closest to me, both of which produce scores of National Merit Scholars and semi-finalists, made the list. In the same district, which has ~10 high schools, the only school which did make the list is one that is in a declining, lower-income part of the city. I can think of a third public high school in the metro area, which immediately comes to mind when listing local "academically strong" high schools, which is not on this list.

TeamCasey
05-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Any way to search the list?

Boss-Hog
05-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Wyoming '99 here :)

M2
05-09-2005, 06:25 PM
The list seems to favor smaller, more exclusive high schools. No surprise that affluent towns and magnet schools fare well.

westofyou
05-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Mines not... but I've kissed some girls from Indian Hill before.

pedro
05-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Summit High School - Summit NJ #148

Monte Vista High School - Danville, CA #568

westofyou
05-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Summit High School - Summit NJ #148

Monte Vista High School - Danville, CA #568

And you drove by Indian Hill on your way to school too.

You is smart.

pedro
05-09-2005, 06:41 PM
And you drove by Indian Hill on your way to school too.

You is smart.

uh, yeah. that's the ticket.

Caveat Emperor
05-10-2005, 04:30 AM
I probably should've checked the details about this before I spent 10+ pages searching for a private school. :laugh:

I knew a couple people that went to some of those D.C.-area public schools that were functioning idiots. The methodology on this is almost totally baseless...basically the question is "How are the smartest-of-the-smart kids at X high school performing compared to the smartest-of-the-smart at Y high school?" All the use of AP/IB testing statistics really makes this a humorously worthless study.

Favorite personal "AP" story from high school: The AP Biology final in 1999 was administered the same day Star Wars: Episode I came out (back before anyone realized it was going to suck). A couple friends and I had ditched class a few weeks earlier to get tickets at the oldest theater in downtown DC and, due to the long lines, had only managed to get 3:00 p.m. tickets for opening day.

Well, in order to make it to the theater on time, I figured I had to be on the subway by 2:15 pm, meaning I had to be out of school at 2. The AP Bio exam was supposed to last until 2:30, but I was determined to make it to the movies on time (priorities in high school: slightly skewed). So, at 2pm, I stopped writing in the middle of an essay question, composed a conclusion that consisted of the following statement: I'd write more, but I have opening day tickets to see the new Star Wars movie in one hour. Thanks for reading, and May the Force Be With You! and then walked out of the exam.

Too bad the movie wasn't worth it.

zombie-a-go-go
05-10-2005, 06:05 AM
My HS would be in the top 10 if they were ranking them according to drug use, gang violence, and teenage pregnancies. ;)

Ravenlord
05-10-2005, 07:03 AM
My HS would be in the top 10 if they were ranking them according to drug use, gang violence, and teenage pregnancies. ;)you went to Piqua too? ;)

MrCinatit
05-10-2005, 10:25 AM
yeah, i can tell without even looking at the list that Piqua will not be on that particular list. in fact, i would wager a year's salary that no local schools would be on the list...i mean, come on folks, we can't even pronounce "Houston", "Russia" or "Versailles" right...let alone spell "Sydney" correctly.

LincolnparkRed
05-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Well I noticed that Centerville dropped from 682 to 853 since the last rankings. :thumbdown

Red Leader
05-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Well I noticed that Centerville dropped from 682 to 853 since the last rankings. :thumbdown

Doesn't matter what any of these silly "national rankings" show with their stupid little formulas. We know we're #1. :laugh:

Stewie
05-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Doesn't matter what any of these silly "national rankings" show with their stupid little formulas. We know we're #1. :laugh:

Do cops in Centerville have nothing better to do then sit in their patrol cars on the side of the road and wait for people to pull over? I was there this past weekend and everywhere you look, there's a cop just chillin and waiting to pounce.

Anyways, to get back on topic, my high school did not make the list. Probably because it was fairly large and full of morons. I went to high school with most of the guys who started MTV's Jackass, and now it's spinoff, Viva La Bam.

Red Leader
05-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Do cops in Centerville have nothing better to do then sit in their patrol cars on the side of the road and wait for people to pull over? I was there this past weekend and everywhere you look, there's a cop just chillin and waiting to pounce.

Anyways, to get back on topic, my high school did not make the list. Probably because it was fairly large and full of morons. I went to high school with most of the guys who started MTV's Jackass, and now it's spinoff, Viva La Bam.

1. No, they have nothing better to do. Probably one of the most "cushy" police jobs you could have in the US.

2. What high school is that, and did you actually attend school with any of those guys? Ryan Dunn, Johnny Knoxville, etc?

westofyou
05-10-2005, 11:43 AM

Get in your car and drive Route 50 from downtown to Goshen, keep it at a clip of 5 miles above the speed limit.

You'll get a ticket in each berg along the way, talk back to the cops in Terrace Park or Mariemont, They have no excitement in their lives other than pulling folks over and chasing kids down after it gest dark.

LincolnparkRed
05-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Do cops in Centerville have nothing better to do then sit in their patrol cars on the side of the road and wait for people to pull over? I was there this past weekend and everywhere you look, there's a cop just chillin and waiting to pounce..

I would say no but wait until the weekends when they spend their time busting up high school parties

Roy Tucker
05-10-2005, 12:23 PM
1. No, they have nothing better to do. Probably one of the most "cushy" police jobs you could have in the US.
You just have to watch out for Office Shaneyfelt.

Stewie
05-10-2005, 12:48 PM
2. What high school is that, and did you actually attend school with any of those guys? Ryan Dunn, Johnny Knoxville, etc?

I went to high school at a place called West Chester East, and I pretty much went to school with most of the guys that are on Viva la Bam now. Johnny Knoxville isn't from there, but Bam Margera, Ryan Dunn, and the rest of them are. Apparently, I was in homeroom with Bam Margera but I didn't know who he was until I saw him on TV and then had to check in the yearbook. Whatever. Most of the other guys on that show are older than me.

shapu
05-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Only two schools from West Virginia that I could find. George Washington(Charleston) and Morgantown High.

Freaking George Washington. Punks.