PDA

View Full Version : Top 5: TV Shows That Have Gone (Are Going) Too Long

Hap
05-14-2005, 06:27 PM
The Simpsons (Season 4 was the pinnacle, everything else was downhill)

MASH (They did everything they could do, and still went for three more years)

Cheers (All the characters became cartoonish)

Boston Public (First two seasons were outstanding, the last two were too soapy)

Who's The Boss? (When I was 12-14, the images of Alyssa on my TV screen assured me that I was indeed attracted to hot brunettes. But the show got really stupid really quickly)

KronoRed
05-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Simpsons
ER
Friends
MASH

Jaycint
05-14-2005, 06:34 PM
American Idol
Survivor
Road Rules
Real World
Friends

RedsBaron
05-14-2005, 06:35 PM
MASH
Cheers
Dallas
Really most shows have peaked by or before their fifth season and are usually running on fumes after that.

KronoRed
05-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Really most shows have peaked by or before their fifth season and are usually running on fumes after that.

Very true, Seinfeld being the only exception I can think of, it peaking in about its 5th season and hitting rock bottom by the 9th.

Stewie
05-14-2005, 06:46 PM
7th Heaven - It started falling apart once they started adding a bunch of new people to the show, Ashlee Simpson being the final straw. Really, it started to go downhill once the twins were born.

(Yeah, I admit, I watch 7th Heaven, I love it)

Red in Chicago
05-14-2005, 06:57 PM
simpsons...how can a grown adult watch a cartoon...i just don't get it at all..

everybody loves ramond...ok, i got roped in a few seasons, but ray's brother robert really gets on my nerves...

er...in fairness, i never saw an episode...i'm just sick of hearing in the previews "a very special er"...i mean is it possible that every episode is special?

sopranos...exactly how much time is needed between seasons...just give it up already...

jag...horrible...just horrible...

snowstorm
05-15-2005, 03:06 AM
Roseanne (that last season was horrible)

Full House (this show should have been cancelled about 2-3 years before it was or they should have gotten new writers)

7th Heaven

Caveat Emperor
05-15-2005, 03:50 AM
That one show on CBS about the overweight white guy with the disproportionately attractive wife...

..oh wait, that's every show on CBS.

savafan
05-15-2005, 03:39 PM
1) ER
2) Will and Grace
3) X-Files (after Mulder left it went downhill)
4) Saturday Night Live
5) Jerry Springer

dman
05-15-2005, 05:58 PM

everybody loves ramond...ok, i got roped in a few seasons, but ray's brother robert really gets on my nerves...

er...in fairness, i never saw an episode...i'm just sick of hearing in the previews "a very special er"...i mean is it possible that every episode is special?

sopranos...exactly how much time is needed between seasons...just give it up already...

jag...horrible...just horrible...

http://www.triviatribute.com/images4/catherinebell14.jpg

This is the reason for JAG's success.

KronoRed
05-15-2005, 07:39 PM
I thought of another one..

Mission:Impossible (the 60's version not the horrible 80's one)

It went from a well done classy spy series to a cheap cop show in its last 2 years, when Spock came on set they should have called it quits.

The Baumer
05-16-2005, 03:15 AM
Steel Valentine in the 60s was amazing. Then in 1970 they changed the actor who played Terry Yustaf and the car who was a robot turned back into a robot and they changed it's voice. Then a camel came on set and ate through some electrical wire. The show was never the same after that.

RBA
05-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Oprah
Judge Judy
Jerry Springer
Dr Phil
The show with Connie Chung's husband.

Blimpie
05-16-2005, 09:03 AM
ER
Will & Grace
Becker
Two and a Half Men
Anything with Law & Order in the title

wheels
05-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Friends.

Overrated inane drivel that spawned bad hairdos and one liners throughout the nineties. If I have to hear "How YOU doin'?" from my customers for much longer, I think I'm gonna lose it.

Of course, that's now being replaced by "Git r' Done". Where does that phrase come from?

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Where does that phrase come from?

A self-proclaimed "blue collar" comedian called Larry the Cable Guy.

Blimpie
05-16-2005, 10:02 AM
Friends.

Overrated inane drivel that spawned bad hairdos and one liners throughout the nineties. If I have to hear "How YOU doin'?" from my customers for much longer, I think I'm gonna lose it.

Of course, that's now being replaced by "Git r' Done". Where does that phrase come from?Larry the Cable Guy from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour...

wheels
05-16-2005, 10:09 AM
A self-proclaimed "blue collar" comedian called Larry the Cable Guy.

Is this another thing I need to avoid at all costs?

Jaycint
05-16-2005, 10:27 AM

Like the plague. :D

savafan
05-16-2005, 10:41 AM

I do. I would if I were you also.

Johnny Footstool
05-16-2005, 10:45 AM

Count yourself lucky if you haven't already been exposed to it.

WMR
05-17-2005, 02:45 AM
sopranos...exactly how much time is needed between seasons...just give it up already......

The Sopranos going on too long? Blasphemey.

I'll agree wholeheartedly that they wait too long between seasons, but that show, after a so-so fourth season, was absolutely stellar last season.

LoganBuck
05-17-2005, 07:18 AM
My vote goes for most, if not all reality shows, featuring know it all 18-22 year olds.

Any show that follows a celebrity around.
Survivor
American Idol
The Real World
Fear Factor

RFS62
05-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Mark Burnett is the devil.

Hap
05-17-2005, 09:44 AM
And people still do not realize that all reality show are not in fact real. They are all videotaped or filmed in studios with carefully researched scripts.

Danny Serafini
05-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Any show that brings in a little kid in the last years. You can always tell when a show is on its last legs, some annoying little kid is brought in to try and be cute and funny, and it never works.

LincolnparkRed
05-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Any show that brings in a little kid in the last years. You can always tell when a show is on its last legs, some annoying little kid is brought in to try and be cute and funny, and it never works.

For some reason I alway like Growing Pains, that show though tried to bring in two younger kids, DiCaprio and a little girl and man was it painful for that last season or two.

Personally I never understood the love for raymond, I mean there were no catch phrases like a Seinfeld, nothing daring tackled in the episodes I just don't get it.

CaiGuy
05-17-2005, 11:24 AM
The last episode was on last night. I think that was a hilarious.

registerthis
05-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Surely, you're joking. Calling the Simpsons "just a cartoon" is like calling the Empire State Building "just a building." The Simpsons is one of the most consistently well-written shows out there. It's not up there with where it was 5-6 years ago, but I'm still guaranteed to laugh out loud 5-6 times per episode, which is far more than I could say about Raymond.

Rojo
05-17-2005, 12:27 PM
The Simpsons (Season 4 was the pinnacle, everything else was downhill)

You do realize that Season 4 was 1993?

I admit that the episodes of the last 3-4 years have been inconsistent, but the thing that set the Simpsons apart was that it was so funny for so long.

Cut out the last 10 years of the Simpsons and there goes half my vocabulary.

Blimpie
05-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Any show that brings in a little kid in the last years. You can always tell when a show is on its last legs, some annoying little kid is brought in to try and be cute and funny, and it never works.Hey, I resemble that remark!

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/archive/tv/97/11/image/Oliver.gif