PDA

View Full Version : Danny Graves to be designated for assignment...

fs43340
05-23-2005, 02:47 PM
per Sag on WLW

CTA513
05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Hes also going to announce that they are bringing in Donald Trump to fire some of the players/staff.

;)

j/k

Petitt33
05-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Ryan The Reds Fan is saying that Graves is going to be released! :)

registerthis
05-23-2005, 02:52 PM
What's he going to say?

"I had a talk with Danny, and he feels very bad about what happened during yesterday's game, and sends his deepest apologies to the fans of Cincinnati. He recognizes that Cincinnati fans are among the best in baseball, and he understands their frustration with the current situation. We're looking to start over with a clean slate and get back on the winning track. Danny Graves is, and will continue to be, an important part of this franchise."

Perhaps not verbatim, but it's going to be darn close...

redsfan30
05-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Ryan The Reds Fan is saying that Graves is going to be released! :)
Ryan the Reds fan is the one that gave us a heads up a week before the Eric Milton signing back in December.

When he speaks of player moves, I for one listen.

Petitt33
05-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I remember that. We all were hoping for Odalis Perez, but got Milton.

cumberlandreds
05-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Miley paddled Graves and told him to go to bed without his supper! :devil:

deltachi8
05-23-2005, 03:03 PM

so that mens Danny Graves is signing an extension, right??

Actually I too trust Ryan and have changed my opinion from nothing will happen to lets wait and see.

If it does happen, its a start...

Interesting Miley doing the presser - pretty much tells you no managerial move coming anytime soon.

fs43340
05-23-2005, 03:05 PM
What's he going to say?

"I had a talk with Danny, and he feels very bad about what happened during yesterday's game, and sends his deepest apologies to the fans of Cincinnati. He recognizes that Cincinnati fans are among the best in baseball, and he understands their frustration with the current situation. We're looking to start over with a clean slate and get back on the winning track. Danny Graves is, and will continue to be, an important part of this franchise."

Perhaps not verbatim, but it's going to be darn close...

Sad,but you probably have hit it dead on!

redsfan30
05-23-2005, 03:15 PM
That's true, technically he never said who it was because he wasn't sure. All he was sure of was that the Reds were going to sign a starting pitcher.

And they did.

OldXOhio
05-23-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm curious to see if the FO uses this as a way to divert the fan's attention from the team's play, thereby allowing them to not have to begin the housecleaning.

fs43340
05-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm curious to see if the FO uses this as a way to divert the fan's attention from the team's play, thereby allowing them to not have to begin the housecleaning.

Think about it, they got a pass when the Bob Huggins story happen, now Graves, what happens next to give them a pass? I hope nothing!

flyer85
05-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Ryan The Reds Fan is saying that Graves is going to be released! :)I guess we will see if he is just another Johnson Doctor or Red-in-la or a true prophet.

CTA513
05-23-2005, 03:31 PM
Graves has been cut!!!

HotCorner
05-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Graves has been cut!!!

Per 700 WLW

deltachi8
Once again, Ryan is on...

OK, thats step 1...whats next?

WVRedsFan
Wow!

Any explanation?

Tony Cloninger
05-23-2005, 03:33 PM
That's one small step for man.....1 giant leap for mankind.

Seriously though......i am not that surprised beacuse he should be....i just did not think they would actually do it.

Tommyjohn25
Holy crap I can't believe it!!! I feel numb!!! He's gone!!

fs43340
good, but not enough!

tsj017
Well, a message has been sent. Let's see if anyone's listening.

klw
05-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Didn't WLW say designated for assignment?

TC81190
Per 700 WLW. :eek: :thumbup: :beerme:

medford
according to Pic on Lance's show

Aronchis
05-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Unofficially, the unloading has begun with Jimenez and now Graves. That is 9 million in dead payroll.

Now Casey will shine himself up along with Randa,Griffey and Weathers over the next 1-2 months.

CTA513
05-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Didn't WLW say designated for assignment?

They said he was cut/released/designated for assignment.

They said the Reds will eat Graves contract.

medford
05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Kiesler called up.

fs43340
05-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Well, a message has been sent. Let's see if anyone's listening. What message? His contract would be up at the end of the year anyway and the Reds aren't going anywhere this year! More needs to be done. Graves wasn't the only cancer within this organization.

shredda2000
05-23-2005, 03:41 PM
What a Black Monday...Let's move on...nothing more to see here.

registerthis
I am stunned, really. They actually went through with it.

This has to be unprecendented--an all-star last year, in the midst of a high-paying contract, the career saves leader for the team in (what should be) the prime of his career, is designated for assignment.

Unbelieveable. I've never seen anything like this.

OldXOhio
yeah, this was a no brainer. The tough ones have been yet to be made.

TC81190
Prediction - Graves signed by the Yankees to a MINOR LEAGUE contract.

2001MUgrad
See ya Danny,

Don't spend that $5 Million in one place. That will be the last million dollar contract you ever sign.

Matt700wlw
05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
REDS PROMOTE LHP RANDY KEISLER

RHP Danny Graves Designated For Assignment

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today selected from Class AAA Louisville the contract of LHP Randy Keisler and designated for assignment RHP Danny Graves.

Keisler will be in uniform number 57 for tonight’s 7:10 p.m. game against the Washington Nationals.

Keisler, 29, has spent the entire season at Louisville and went 3-2 with a 2.98 ERA and 1 save in 9 appearances, including 7 starts. He held opponents to a .235 batting average (48.1ip, 43h, 17r, 16er, 12bb, 41k, 6hr). He last pitched Friday at Buffalo, started and suffered the 4-2 Bats loss (6.2ip, 5h, 4er, 3bb, 3k, 1hr).

Keisler was named International League Pitcher of the Week for April 18-24 after going 1-0 with a 1.74 ERA in 2 starts (10.1ip, 10h, 2r, 2er, 5bb, 13k).

Graves, 31, this season for the Reds went 1-1 with a 7.76 ERA and 10 saves in 20 relief appearances. He posted an ERA of 11.00 in 10 appearances in May, including a 30.38 ERA in his last 3 games.

tsj017
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
What message? His contract would be up at the end of the year anyway and the Reds aren't going anywhere this year! More needs to be done. Graves wasn't the only cancer within this organization.

The message that no one in that clubhouse should be feeling comfortable. No one is safe. And they shouldn't be.

CTA513
05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
The message that no one in that clubhouse should be feeling comfortable. No one is safe. And they shouldn't be.

:thumbup:

paulrichjr
05-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Somehow this all seems a real shame. Graves brought it upon himself but it seems a shame that a guy that has done a lot over the years for the Reds would be released. Couldn't they have worked a trade out with another team? We would pay $3.5 million and get a young A player while they get a guy that needs a change of scenery for nothing. I have to believe the guy had some trade value if you pay most of his salary. Oh well...you can sure tell that Bowden is back in town.

CalSean
05-23-2005, 03:47 PM
....More needs to be done. Graves wasn't the only cancer within this organization.

Exactly! My Vote for the next axe? Gullett.

NCRed
05-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Great start but no way should this be the end.

shredda2000
05-23-2005, 03:48 PM
:bowrofl: More heads are gonna roll!!!

Tommyjohn25
I totally agree with this move, this WILL send a message to all the players that nothing is guaranteed to them, I am actually gonna have to give credit to the FO today for having the marbles to go through with this.

LexingtonRedsFan
I'm shocked that the Reds actually pulled the trigger!! Since they were calling this black monday, I'm curious if this is the only move or if this is the tip of the iceberg....

OldXOhio
05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
I can't see a manager who's reportedly about to be fired being able to announce personnel decisions like this one.

CalSean
05-23-2005, 03:51 PM
I completetly agree with this move, this WILL send a message to all the players that nothing is guaranteed to them, I am actually gonna have to give credit to the FO today for having the marbles to go through with this.

Could work against us too. The other players realize that the Reds just ate about 6 million dollars. How much more money does anyone expect Lindner to blow?

Petitt33
05-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Best thing DanO has ever done!

cincyinco
05-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Could work against us too. The other players realize that the Reds just ate about 6 million dollars. How much more money does anyone expect Lindner to blow?

Please explain your logic?

Gallen5862
05-23-2005, 03:56 PM
The Braves were benching Kolb. Since Jimenez and Graves were designated for assignement try to get kolb and maybe an a ball player.

OldXOhio
05-23-2005, 03:56 PM
yard sale Jimbo....yard sale!!!

registerthis
05-23-2005, 03:57 PM
If your ROI is at or below $0 on the players you are paying, it could actually be viewed as SAVING money to dump an under-performing player from your team.

A bit skewed logic, I know, but you can't just look at this as wasted money (even though it really is.) The money was already wasted--that $6 million was going to be paid regardless. The question became, then, did you want the guy who is costing you games to play, or to NOT play?

The Reds decided today that they would rather he not play at all.

Very, very sad...but this act didn't result in blown money, that decision was made when the contract was given.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Good move.

Unfortunately, the front-office should have never been put in this situation in the first place. He should have been gone along time ago. He should have been at least shopped (for anything) a long time ago.

Can we still get something for him of any value? Someone refresh me on how this works again. If someone picks him up (after the 10 days), they pay the minimum and we pay the rest, right?

cincyinco
05-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Very, very sad...but this act didn't result in blown money, that decision was made when the contract was given.

Lets remember this was a move made by our previous brilliant GM.. jimbo..

OldXOhio
05-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Somebody get Casey in some sexy leather pants for tonight's game...pronto.

knuckler
05-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Somehow this all seems a real shame. Graves brought it upon himself but it seems a shame that a guy that has done a lot over the years for the Reds would be released. Couldn't they have worked a trade out with another team? We would pay $3.5 million and get a young A player while they get a guy that needs a change of scenery for nothing. I have to believe the guy had some trade value if you pay most of his salary. Oh well...you can sure tell that Bowden is back in town.

I think it is sad this all had to come down. Players are real people, not baseball cards, whose careers are at least at a crossroads, at most over at a relatively young age. I feel for them and wish them the best in their future endeavors, except of course if/when they play against the Reds!

That said, I called for exactly this move, and I hold out hope that the Reds are able to get some high-ceiling prospect out of both Jimenez and Graves before the designation periods end. I think it's a 10-day window, isn't that right?

flyer85
05-23-2005, 04:03 PM
I totally agree with this move, this WILL send a message to all the players that nothing is guaranteed to them, I am actually gonna have to give credit to the FO today for having the marbles to go through with this.I think they mainly did it because the situation between Danny and the fans had become so ugly, not because of poor performance.

flyer85
05-23-2005, 04:04 PM
I hold out hope that the Reds are able to get some high-ceiling prospect out of both Jimenez and Graves before the designation periods end. The odds of that happening ... absolute zero.

knuckler
05-23-2005, 04:06 PM
The odds of that happening ... absolute zero.
OK, how about some injured AAAA pitcher on the comeback trail? :laugh:

CalSean
05-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Please explain your logic?

Well, it is my understanding that between Jimenez and Graves, there is contract money to be paid, and they are no longer with the team. My point was, why would many more Reds on the team be concerned about the FO losing more money on top of that by cutting more players.

Now, maybe I don't understand all of the dynamics of the financing of this, but the way I understand it, we need hope for a worthy trade for Graves so we don't take so much of a hit.

OldXOhio
05-23-2005, 04:12 PM
we need hope for a worthy trade for Graves so we don't take so much of a hit.

"worthy" = anyone willing to pay a portion of Graves remaining salary for anything they're willing to part with in return.

registerthis
05-23-2005, 04:13 PM
"worthy" = anyone willing to pay a portion of Graves remaining salary for anything they're willing to part with in return.
And who in their right mind would do that right now?

Graves is an untradeable commodity. This is a sunk cost, pure and simple.

CalSean
05-23-2005, 04:13 PM

Therein lies the problem.

cincyinco
05-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Well, it is my understanding that between Jimenez and Graves, there is contract money to be paid, and they are no longer with the team. My point was, why would many more Reds on the team be concerned about the FO losing more money on top of that by cutting more players.

Now, maybe I don't understand all of the dynamics of the financing of this, but the way I understand it, we need hope for a worthy trade for Graves so we don't take so much of a hit.

I agree, I hope they both can be traded.. but I dont see it likely. I'll keep my fringers crossed. Thanks for the explanation, cause I wasn't sure I was understanding you correctly.. and I wasn't. :)

redruM Shining
05-23-2005, 04:18 PM
I think they mainly did it because the situation between Danny and the fans had become so ugly, not because of poor performance.

I agree. After everything else this season, and after getting rocked on the mound once again, and then after flipping off a fan who had the nerve to be mad...

What else could they do? You think the boos were loud last night? Can you imagine how loud they would be the next time Graves took the field to pitch at home, even if we were up 15-0?!

He had to go. At least temporarily...

TC81190
05-23-2005, 04:21 PM
The lesson for the Reds:

Never EVER try to convert a good closer to a starter, EVER again.

LexingtonRedsFan
05-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Remember we got D'lo after he was designated for assignment...we traded them Scott Dunn, who the last time I heard was in the angels minor league system...so, I wouldnt expect that we would get anything in trade value that would even progress to AAA for either player.

cincyinco
05-23-2005, 04:24 PM
The lesson for the Reds:

At least do it in the minor leagues..

I was on board with the idea, as I thought Graves had the stuff to do it.. the sinker.. everything we needed in a starter..

but his lack of stuff, lack of velocity and movement.. just killed him. man, as much as I had grown tired of Graves act, I am gonna have ot say I will miss him.

It was the HR chace of 98 that got me back into baseball, and the 2 pitchers in Williamson and Graves who made me fall back in love with the Reds in 99... amazing how far that star has fallen.

markymark69
05-23-2005, 04:26 PM
I am stunned, really. They actually went through with it.

This has to be unprecendented--an all-star last year, in the midst of a high-paying contract, the career saves leader for the team in (what should be) the prime of his career, is designated for assignment.

Unbelieveable. I've never seen anything like this.

I agree, I didn't think they would have the guts to make a move like this. It had to happen and they made it happen. I know praising the FO is rare on this board, but give them credit for making a necessary move.

tsj017
05-23-2005, 04:28 PM
The lesson for the Reds:

Wasn't Graves struggling as a closer before they made him a starter? I seem to recall that was part of the reason they put him in the rotation. (The other part, of course, was that they were, as usual, desperate for starting pitching.)

Graves has been on the decline for several seasons now, dating back to before he went into the rotation. This year, the bottom fell out.

RedsMan3203
05-23-2005, 04:29 PM
So Baby Wags is the man now?

fisch11
05-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Hopefully we can get a bag of baseballs for him from someone.

fisch11
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Third foot in mouth (via Enquirer):

“I had planned on publicly apologizing to the rest of the fans for my actions the last three weeks, but I guess I don’t get that chance,” Graves said. “Obviously I wish it didn’t happen. If none of this stuff happened with me and the fans, would I be here still? I have no idea. I have no idea….”

After he was removed from the game, Graves made a obscene gesture with his middle finger to a fan situated beside the dugout.
“I’ve been here for eight years, and I think I’ve done pretty decent in my time here,” Graves said. “I’ve done a lot for this organization and community. I changed roles, which possibly could’ve ruined my career. Maybe that’s why I don’t have velocity. I don’t know. I don’t have the answers.

“I just feel like I was given up on. There’s 29 other teams. Maybe somebody needs a right-handed reliever. If not then I’ll just go home and enjoy my time with my family.”

-Danny "no longer baby-faced assassin" Graves

registerthis
05-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Third foot in mouth (via Enquirer):

“I had planned on publicly apologizing to the rest of the fans for my actions the last three weeks, but I guess I don’t get that chance,” Graves said. “Obviously I wish it didn’t happen. If none of this stuff happened with me and the fans, would I be here still? I have no idea. I have no idea….”

After he was removed from the game, Graves made a obscene gesture with his middle finger to a fan situated beside the dugout.
“I’ve been here for eight years, and I think I’ve done pretty decent in my time here,” Graves said. “I’ve done a lot for this organization and community. I changed roles, which possibly could’ve ruined my career. Maybe that’s why I don’t have velocity. I don’t know. I don’t have the answers.

“I just feel like I was given up on. There’s 29 other teams. Maybe somebody needs a right-handed reliever. If not then I’ll just go home and enjoy my time with my family.”

-Danny "no longer baby-faced assassin" Graves
It really is a shame that it ended up the way it did. You can't pin all of the blame for the meltdown on Graves alone--the FO and coaching staff must share some accountability.

Where Graves faltered was in the way he reacted to the fans booing and name-calling. The middle finger gesture merely sealed his fate.

He sounds really defeated in the above quotes...for his sake I hope his career can continue.

LexingtonRedsFan
05-23-2005, 04:41 PM
So Baby Wags is the man now?

Not really....heard Pic call Lance and Miley said that they were going to use a closer by committee.....

Caseyfan21
05-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Graves needed to be gone, period, for both the Reds and his own sake. The fans in Cincinnati were not going to support him again after his comments and gesture.

With that being said, I also think releasing him like this sends a message to both fans and current players that the front office is not going to put up with a loser attitude and players not getting the job done.

I really hope the front office continues to take a hard stand on this. I also hope Allen/Lindner take a hard stand and give Miley and DanO their walking papers if this mediocrity continues much longer. The Reds have had a severe lack of accountibility problem and I think getting rid of DJ and Graves is the first of many changes that have to be made for this team to play anywhere near their potential.

Caseyfan21
05-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Not really....heard Pic call Lance and Miley said that they were going to use a closer by committee.....

I really, really, really hope they pick somebody out to be the designated closer. A closer by committee cannot be a good long term solution for this team this season. Hopefully, Miley is just going to do this for the short term and then ease someone (like Wagner) into the closer's role.

fisch11
05-23-2005, 04:56 PM
All he had to do was watch Paul and learn how to accept failure. His denial destroyed any good relationship he had with fans.

redsfanmia
05-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I think this move was made to appease the fans mostly. It seems that as long as the Reds were going to pay his salary someone would have taken Graves even if it was just a trade for another bad contract someone would have taken Graves in a trade. I am not sad that Danny is gone I just think they could have moved him and not designated him for assignment.

butlerbulldogs
05-23-2005, 05:02 PM
i love how Graves had the tenacity to call out D-Lo after he was released for not trying, and saying minor leaguers want their job, etc. Well, let's see if Graves plays in AAA, there is a 99% chance he doesn't accept the assignment, if he passes through waivers (which he will)

MartyFan
05-23-2005, 05:07 PM
I agree that Danny needed to go...I do hope that the change of location will mean a resurection to his "Babyface Assasin" rep. that he earned earlier in his career.

This is the tough way to go but nonetheless the way to go for the Reds...painful but it has to be done to get better and I bet we see more than this in the next couple of weeks.

Sea Ray
05-23-2005, 05:13 PM
The lesson for the Reds:

Let's not lose sight of the reason Boone switched him to a starter. It was because Graves was very shaky at closing games. Boone saw that closing wasn't his calling so maybe he'd be another Derek Lowe and excell at starting. Unfortunately he couldn't even learn a windup, much less learn to start so that was a collossal failure. But this problem of him being a shaky closer goes back several years. This is nothing new. Hopefully he can get his ERA under 7 but he'll never be an elite closer.

BuckeyeRed27
05-23-2005, 05:26 PM
What a disappointing season. Everyone on the team except for FeLo and maybe Dunn and Junior have completely under performed. Graves probably deserved better, maybe a trip to the DL with "Elbow Tendenitis" to see if he could take a break and get some minor leagures out. It's not like the rest of the bullpen is really mowing them down.

BillyBeaneFan
05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Let's not lose sight of the reason Boone switched him to a starter. It was because Graves was very shaky at closing games. Boone saw that closing wasn't his calling so maybe he'd be another Derek Lowe and excell at starting. Unfortunately he couldn't even learn a windup, much less learn to start so that was a collossal failure. But this problem of him being a shaky closer goes back several years. This is nothing new. Hopefully he can get his ERA under 7 but he'll never be an elite closer.

I agree, Graves was always a shaky closer. How many times did he get out of an inning without putting anyone on base? You want your closer to be a fireballing, three up, three down type of guy...not a weenie working around the corners who ends up putting guys on and making things "interesting."

This move is long overdue. When he first came up, I thought Gabe White was a better closer. Two years ago, Reitsma was far superior. We should have kept Reitsma and paid him the money he wanted--we'd better off today if we had.

Instead, we have Jung Bong, Bubba Nelson, and however many million in dead salary from Danny Graves. Good work, guys.

Wheelhouse
05-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Finally

RDriesen16
05-23-2005, 05:48 PM
good, but not enough!

thats how i feel. they are just diverting the attention from themselves. the fo knows they all should be gone so to take the heat off, they are canning players

Marc D
05-23-2005, 05:52 PM
My .02 for those who are saying we should have tried to trade him for something and that this doesn't save the Reds "any" money.

Graves has/had a limited no trade clause (he could pick 4 teams to veto every year iirc) AND a 500K buyout clause if he were traded. Not a ton of money when you are already eating 5 or 6 M but with those two contract issues and the psychological coin you get in the clubhouse for making a clean cut I actually support what Dan O and the front office for once.

Jesus Freak
05-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Maybe the Cubs would like to add an arm to their bullpen that can't get anyone out.

steig
05-23-2005, 06:08 PM
I'm just excited that Graves is gone, he sucked and I didn't care for his attitude towards the fans. :beerme:

Sea Ray
05-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Anyone have a problem with who they're replacing him with...Keisler? I don't think he fits the role we need now that Graves is gone. I think they should have gone with Greg Booker

Maldez
05-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't know why everybody's so excited. It's not like cutting a multi-milllion dollar guy off the roster, with nothing in return, will somehow help the Reds.

CincyRedsFan30
05-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Anyone have a problem with who they're replacing him with...Keisler? I don't think he fits the role we need now that Graves is gone. I think they should have gone with Greg Booker

*Chris

MartyFan
05-23-2005, 06:45 PM

I noticed he had spent most of his time starting in the ML....So I thought bringing him up was a bit curious...could this mean that one of our starters is going someplace, perhaps with DLo or Graves?

Where do you think Graves will land...there was a thread here a couple days ago where a few potential suitors might be.

So, what do you think?

RedsMan3203
05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
I don't know why everybody's so excited. It's not like cutting a multi-milllion dollar guy off the roster, with nothing in return, will somehow help the Reds.

We'll get more Wins. :evil:

MattyHo4Life
05-23-2005, 08:43 PM
It's not like cutting a multi-milllion dollar guy off the roster, with nothing in return, will somehow help the Reds.

What team would give something in return for Danny Graves with the way he's pitched and acted towards the fans this season?

vance
05-23-2005, 09:29 PM
And who in their right mind would do that right now?

Graves is an untradeable commodity. This is a sunk cost, pure and simple.

The only way I see the Reds getting someone to take on the contract of Graves and maybe even Jimenez is if a player of value is attached with them in the trade (ie...Kearns, Dunn, Casey) A team might be willing to take on the money if they get a player they like.

The Yankees could be a target. They need a CF. Package Graves and Griffey to the Yankees for Eric Duncan and a marginal prospect. The Reds use the Yankees to get out from under two ugly contracts.

Larry Schuler
05-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Looks like Milton was affected by seeing Graves go. Finally decided to step it up a notch.

butlerbulldogs
05-23-2005, 10:16 PM
The only way I see the Reds getting someone to take on the contract of Graves and maybe even Jimenez is if a player of value is attached with them in the trade (ie...Kearns, Dunn, Casey) A team might be willing to take on the money if they get a player they like.

The Yankees could be a target. They need a CF. Package Graves and Griffey to the Yankees for Eric Duncan and a marginal prospect. The Reds use the Yankees to get out from under two ugly contracts.

no way possible the yanks would take Griffey/Graves, i would give them to them for free w/ no player, much less us receiving Duncan in return....if they took graves, they would want Kearns/Pena/Dunn, probably DUnn

LoganBuck
05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
My grandfather had the best line about all of today's events.

In regards to Casey's comment about feeling like every player in the clubhouse had been hit with a shovel. My grandfather said "It was probably the same shovel they had been using to dig that big hole they are standing in."

Betterread
05-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Faure's Requiem?
Mahler's "Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen"?
or
Public Image Limited's - "albatross"

Krusty
05-24-2005, 01:16 AM
The time has come for Ryan Wagner to be annointed the closer....for better or for worse.

RedsMan3203
05-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Could we see Danny Graves in Chi-Town?

oregonred
05-24-2005, 02:04 AM
What team would give something in return for Danny Graves with the way he's pitched and acted towards the fans this season?

The Oakland Raiders?

Ron Madden
05-24-2005, 02:39 AM
While the close knit members of the Reds clubhouse, Hal McCoy and Andy Furman grieve the loss of Graves :cry: I'll try to be respectful and just say this.. sure they'll miss Graves in the CLUBHOUSE but the absense of DLO' in the LINEUP will hurt this teams chances of winning much more than giving Graves the boot. (JMHO)

jhiller21
05-24-2005, 04:34 AM
Jimenez may have been the least favorite, attitude-wise. But I agree he's more valuable off the bench than Luis Lopez. It all comes down to "Here's your role... play off the bench, give us a solid bat in the late innings. You don't like it? Then quit." Same goes for Danny. "You don't like mopping up blowouts? Can't get an out when we're already losing?"

OldXOhio
05-24-2005, 08:31 AM

Yeah, running a guy out there w/ a 30.00+ ERA in his last three appearances really would have given the team its best chance of winning on the field.

Sea Ray
05-24-2005, 11:49 AM
*Chris

You're right. Thanks. This whole Graves thing has me not thinkin' straight :confused: