PDA

View Full Version : Indy 500 history in the making....??

Matt700wlw
05-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Under 20 laps to go and Danica Patrick has the lead...

..she already made history by being the first female to lead a lap in the race

jmcclain19
05-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Must be like Robby Gordon said yesterday, she has an unfair advantage because she weighs 100 lbs soaking wet.

mmm...Danica Patrick soaking wet....

RosieRed
05-29-2005, 04:10 PM
This is great stuff. Even if she doesn't win, it's been a good race IMO.

jmcclain19
05-29-2005, 04:15 PM
She ran out of gas at the end, before an accident ended the race 2 laps early.

She did very well mind you - to finish 4th

http://www.lemans-racing.com/images/trajectoires/17720031058445330.jpg

Matt700wlw
05-29-2005, 04:17 PM
She made a heck of a run....this may be the first time ever I was into an auto race...

Chip R
05-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Danica Patrick was racing in the 500 today? I had no idea. :lol:

Seriously she definitely lived up to the hype.

jmcclain19
05-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Did you know she's 5 foot nothing.

Wow, short, athletic, good looking and can really handle a vehicle. And she lives in my city of residence.

If she was tall she would be my dream woman.

http://magazine.tsn.ca/magazine/content/features/020702_jmar/feature_image.jpg

paintmered
05-29-2005, 04:20 PM
She ran into a bit of bad luck a few times in the race, and every time she was able to overcome it until fuel became an issue.

Rahal rolled the dice and came up a little short.

Matt700wlw
05-29-2005, 04:22 PM

Aren't you picky ;)

creek14
05-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Did you know she's 5 foot nothing.

Wow, short, athletic, good looking and can really handle a vehicle. And she lives in my city of residence.

Gosh Josh, I am tall. Of course I don't live in your city. I was athletic (back before you were born), good looking - uh pass, but I can really handle a vehicle. ;)

jmcclain19
05-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Gosh Josh, I am tall. Of course I don't live in your city. I was athletic (back before you were born), good looking - uh pass, but I can really handle a vehicle. ;)

Creek, you already know your my real dream woman.

*sigh*

If only I played Left field.

paintmered
05-29-2005, 04:28 PM
If you were to look at ESPN.com right now, you'd have no idea that Dan Wheldon actually won the race.

jmcclain19
05-29-2005, 04:30 PM
If you were to look at ESPN.com right now, you'd have no idea that Dan Wheldon actually won the race.

If you were watching most of the race, you'd have no idea there were other cars on the track besides Danica

And props to Wheldon. Andretti finally won himself an Indy 500. Although it's about 10-15 years late.

guttle11
05-29-2005, 04:44 PM
i found this kind of funny, with about 25 laps to go, Danica took the lead after the caution and the announcer, Terry Gannon??, said, and I quote "Can Danica Patrick turn the trick, and win the 500 mile race"

turn the trick?? not the best words you could have used there.

paintmered
05-29-2005, 04:48 PM
It really is a shame that the IRL has basically been reduced to a one-race season. They've got some very talented young drivers on the circuit and hopefully the series can build on this great race and give some prestige back to American open-wheel racing.

creek14
05-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Of course, in less than an hour, the real race starts - the Coca-Cola 600. :thumbup: :p: :thumbup:

paintmered
05-29-2005, 04:50 PM
Of course, in less than an hour, the real race starts - the Coca-Cola 600. :thumbup: :p: :thumbup:

My point exactly. *sigh :(

jmcclain19
05-29-2005, 04:52 PM
watching the post - race interviews on ESPNews right now. Dan Wheldon hasn't been asked a question in a few minutes - he looks like he'd rather be anywhere else other than sitting next to Danica listen to question after question to her from reporters. I'm sure he wants to be like "Hey guys, I won the race..."

The post rast podium consists of Wheldon, and Danica.....and that's it.

High comedy in my mind.

And Creek's right, the CocaCola 600 - Lets hope Harvick can overcome his team's incompetance of this season to date and put up a good showing.

jmcclain19
05-29-2005, 04:53 PM
paint I can remember as a kid that memorial day weekend was special because of the Indy 500, but it was just part of the racing season. Watching Rahal, Andretti, Unser, Scott Goodyear, etc, race all over the US, Mexico and Canada.

That was the good times of Indy car racing. Now it's just a shadow of itself.

paintmered
05-29-2005, 04:56 PM
paint I can remember as a kid that memorial day weekend was special because of the Indy 500, but it was just part of the racing season. Watching Rahal, Andretti, Unser, Scott Goodyear, etc, race all over the US, Mexico and Canada.

And it all began when indycar racing split about 10 years ago. CART got all the big names, IRL got the Indy 500. Neither of them won - NASCAR did.

creek14
05-29-2005, 04:56 PM

It was the whole CART/IRL tinkling match that ruined it. And that's what drove me (no pun...) to NASCAR.

creek14
05-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Oh look, paint and I think alike. We should work together.

Raisor
05-29-2005, 05:08 PM
The announcing and camera work the last 10 laps or so were embarrassing.

When it was finally clear she wasn't going to win (with about 4 laps to go, and she being in 4th) it was really time to start focusing on Wheldon, but instead all Danica all the time.

ABC should be ashamed of themselves.

Chip R
05-29-2005, 05:29 PM

When it was finally clear she wasn't going to win (with about 4 laps to go, and she being in 4th) it was really time to start focusing on Wheldon, but instead all Danica all the time.

They were going to ride that horse into the ground. They didn't want people switching channels just because she wasn't going to win so they had to keep talking about her. I heard someone say she could be the Tiger Woods of auto racing if she starts winning a few races. If that does happen she could put that kind of racing back in the spotlight.

RedsBaron
05-29-2005, 09:58 PM
If the IRL could've had its duthers, Danica would've won the 500. In Danica Patrick, Indy racing finally has something to get the attention of the casual fan.
I thought it was a good race. Danica drove a great race for a rookie, and Dan Wheldon simply drove a great race.
I'm in a distinct minority in that I greatly prefer Indy racing to NASCAR. Tony George has badly split open wheel racing and I wish the division between the IRL and Champ Car didn't exist, but it is still a great show and my favorite form of racing.
I grew up watching Mario Andretti battle A.J. Foyt; Rick Mears remains my all-time favorite racer; and the Indy 500 had a great thirty+ year run of racing between 1963, when rear engine cars and great Grand Prix drivers such as Jim Clark first arrived at Indy, and 1995, the last year before the split. It's a shame that the sport hasn't recovered from the split.

RedsBaron
05-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Must be like Robby Gordon said yesterday, she has an unfair advantage because she weighs 100 lbs soaking wet.

Robby Gordon is a jerk.

jmcclain19
05-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Robby Gordon is a jerk.

a very talented jerk who'd probably win a race in a bathtub w/ wheels if need be.

I may not like some of the things he has to say but he's probably all around one of the best racers on the planet right now. Watching him run well at Dakar just blew me away.

Chip R
05-29-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm no big fan of racing so I don't know a lot about racing strategy but they were saying Danica was low on fuel and that eventually proved to be her demise. But my question is why she didn't pit for fuel when the caution came out with about 12 laps to go? Isn't that the best time to pit when you can't lose your position when they restart it? Was it not legal for her to pit that late?

kyred14
05-29-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm no big fan of racing so I don't know a lot about racing strategy but they were saying Danica was low on fuel and that eventually proved to be her demise. But my question is why she didn't pit for fuel when the caution came out with about 12 laps to go? Isn't that the best time to pit when you can't lose your position when they restart it? Was it not legal for her to pit that late?

she would never gotten back to the front, she would have went back to about 10th. she still finished fourth which is amazing. however, that was about as into an indycar race as i have ever been. i would not be suprised if a nascar team threw some big money to get her to come south, she is probably to small to come race in the big leagues instead of AAA racing if i may use a baseball term. ;)

kyred14
05-29-2005, 11:51 PM

i'm not too sure about that. abc knows what they're doing. no one knows or cares who dan wheldon is. in fact i bet about 40% of those who watched the race don't even remember who won, but they know who almost did. danica was the story, and abc had to ride that horse.

Chip R
05-30-2005, 12:22 AM
she would never gotten back to the front, she would have went back to about 10th. she still finished fourth which is amazing. however, that was about as into an indycar race as i have ever been. i would not be suprised if a nascar team threw some big money to get her to come south, she is probably to small to come race in the big leagues instead of AAA racing if i may use a baseball term. ;)I thought you didn't lose your position during a caution.

I don't know if she would be a good fit in NASCAR. It's much less of a good ol' boy mentality than it used to be but there might be some controversy if a woman went down there to race. But it seems more about the money now so maybe she wouldn't have such a tough time.

kyred14
05-30-2005, 12:53 AM
I thought you didn't lose your position during a caution.

I don't know if she would be a good fit in NASCAR. It's much less of a good ol' boy mentality than it used to be but there might be some controversy if a woman went down there to race. But it seems more about the money now so maybe she wouldn't have such a tough time.

if you pit, you go behind anyone who didn't pit. the reason i would have doubts about her in NASCAR isn't so much controversy, its that i'm not sure her 5' 100 pound body could handle a 3400 pound stock car. i think she'll stay in indycars and win some races. the IRL needs her, NASCAR could put us board members out there and people would still watch.

RedsBaron
05-30-2005, 07:49 AM
if you pit, you go behind anyone who didn't pit.
Correct. When the rest of the leaders pitted on lap 172, Danica, running 8th at the time, having pitted only 13 laps earlier, stayed out and took the lead which she held until lap 186. Wheldon passed her on lap 186, but Danica regained the lead by passing Wheldon on lap 190, before Wheldon repassed her on lap 194.
Robby Gordon's comments were so dumb. He asserted that Danica Patrick had an unfair advantage in that she only weighs about 100 pounds compared to his 200 or so, making her car lighter than his. Gordon furthered announced that he wouldn't run in the Indy 500 again unless Danicas was given a weight penalty.
I guess if Gordon thought about playing in the NBA he would announce that the only way he would play would be if Shaq had to play on his knees because of Shaq's unfair advantage of being over 7 feet tall. Gordon will probably announce that he won't play major league baseball until Bud Selig does something about the unfair advantage pitchers have in being able to throw faster than him. For that matter, Gordon should announce that he will no longer compete in NASCAR until the sport does something about the unfair advantage certain other drivers have over him in being able to both think and drive at the same time.

Danny Serafini
05-30-2005, 02:54 PM
First off I have to say the IRL is complete and utter crap. I'm a die-hard Champ Car fan (the IRL's chief rival), so if you want to get me wound up this is the subject to do it on. :laugh: The IRL is nothing but cheesy manufactured "racing" with cars so overloaded with downforce the talent level needed to drive one is very low. Some of the backmarkers out there are guys who don't belong in the AAA level feeder series, let alone at Indy. Not to mention just how dangerous these cars are. How many backs were broken this month? Over the 10 years the IRL has been around, the ratio of driver injuries to races is just about 1:1. In any other series that would be unacceptable, the IRL arrogantly turns a blind eye to the obvious problems (a ridiculously heavy and stiff gearbox and cars that take flight at the drop of a hat) and tries to sweep them under the rug. Tony George is the worst thing to ever happen to auto racing in this country, and the sooner he disappears the better.

As for Ms. Patrick, the hype is just getting absurd. She's certainly a competent driver, far from the worst out there. (As great a driver as he was, it's amazing just how truly awful the Foyt offspring are.) But she's no star. She's put together some good finishes in her path through the minors, but she hasn't actually won a race since she was racing in karts. She spent the last two years in Toyota Atlantic (the AAA level series for Champ Car) and while she had some good finishes she never seriously contended for a win. And the first few IRL races this year she was awful. The reality is she's Jane Average. It's just the series is being battered so badly right now with sinking TV ratings, horrible attendance (the Phoenix race drew an Expos-like crowd of 8300), engine manufacturers (and their millions of $$$) bailing out, a string of losses to Champ Car in the boardroom (the battles for CART's assests, the Cosworth engine sale, the fight for the Long Beach Grand Prix) that they're pinning all of their hopes on the only marketable figure they have. They got a good result out of her Sunday. But unless she starts winning soon (and her track record indicates she won't) she'll just become another Anna Kournikova, and in the end she'll be just another failed marketing gimmick for the IRL.

Oh, and as much as Robby Gordon is a goof for how he said what he said, he was 100% dead on. Virtually every series measures driver and car weight combined. Why on earth you wouldn't is beyond me, it gives the smaller drivers a big advantage. (Can you tell I'm a bitter 230 lb. fat guy? ;) ) The problem has been around long before Patrick showed up and involves more drivers than her, so he looked like an idiot for singling her out. But it is a real disadvantage, and it isn't fair.

So if you are interested in checking out open wheel racing, I'd give Champ Car or Formula 1 a try. Quality cars, quality drivers, good action, and injuries aren't a routine part of doing business. :thumbup:

RedsBaron
05-30-2005, 03:51 PM
American open wheel racing would be much stronger if the IRL and Champ Car would unite, but that isn't going to happen as long as Tony George runs the IRL. George has rebuffed every effort to heal the split in open wheel racing.
The IRL does put on a great show. There have been some amazing races the last several years, with cars regularly in a virtual photo finish at about 220 mph. I also believe that the IRL drivers are now certainly a match for those in Champ Car, as they should be, since many of the top IRL drivers are former CART drivers.
Both the IRL and Champ Car are hurt in this country by the lack of enough American drivers who are competitive. Jimmy Vasser is about the only American driver left in Champ Car, and non-Americans made up four of the top eight finishers at yesterday's Indy 500. That doesn't bother me, but it does hurt interest among American race fans.
I like the IRL. I like Champ Car. I don't care for Formula 1 though. I don't find enough quality racing action on the track in F1, where the talent of the drivers appears to be much less important than the talent of the engineers and the manufacturer's budget.

kyred14
05-30-2005, 04:52 PM
CART was destined for a hard downfall. The owners of the series also owned the cars, which is absolutely insane. I don't think you can blame George or the CART owners because NASCAR was going to explode no matter what open wheel racing did. The only thing George did was give open wheel fans a reason to ignore american open wheel racing. NASCAR has and has always had strong leadership. The IRL has turned all of their races into a NASCAR restrictor plate type race, which sucks in open wheel racing. CART has good racing, the IRL has Indy, but the big names are down south. JMO.

paintmered
05-30-2005, 05:24 PM
The IRL has turned all of their races into a NASCAR restrictor plate type race, which sucks in open wheel racing.

It wasn't too long ago that those turbocharged Champ cars were turning laps of 240 mph at Fontana. Speeds have simply become too great. Both series have taken measures to slow down the cars - IRL moreso. They've already downsized their engines twice in the last few years. If the IRL hadn't, we'd probably be seeing speeds upwards of 245 in qualifying at Indy. CART has gone with the roadracing and short oval approach. I really wish I could see IRL at tracks like Laguna Seca, Long Beach, Elkhart Lake and Cleveland instead of all those NASCAR 1.5 mile tri-oval cookie-cutter tracks.

Speed and pushing the envelope was always a major selling point for indycar racing fans. They don't have that ability due to safety reasons anymore.

Chip R
05-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the answers, guys. :)

RedsBaron
05-30-2005, 08:09 PM
It wasn't too long ago that those turbocharged Champ cars were turning laps of 240 mph at Fontana. Speeds have simply become too great. Both series have taken measures to slow down the cars - IRL moreso. They've already downsized their engines twice in the last few years. If the IRL hadn't, we'd probably be seeing speeds upwards of 245 in qualifying at Indy. CART has gone with the roadracing and short oval approach. I really wish I could see IRL at tracks like Laguna Seca, Long Beach, Elkhart Lake and Cleveland instead of all those NASCAR 1.5 mile tri-oval cookie-cutter tracks.

Speed and pushing the envelope was always a major selling point for indycar racing fans. They don't have that ability due to safety reasons anymore.
Very true.
Laguna Seca and Cleveland were always two of the races I most looked forward to in the days of CART. Do you remember Alex Zanardi's great pass of Bryan Herta on the final lap to win Laguna Seca in the late 1990s?

kyred14
05-30-2005, 09:39 PM

I wish NASCAR would dump all of those cookie-cutter tracks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Build a Bristol/Richmond combo :cool:

RedsBaron
05-31-2005, 06:35 AM
Ratings for this year's Indy 500 were the highest since 1997. ABC drew a 6.6 overnight rating and a 17 share, up 40% from last year, as compared to 2004's 4.7/11. In the final 15 minutes, when it appeared that Danica Patrick had a chance to become the first woman to win the 500, the telecast had an 8.8/21.

RedFanAlways1966
05-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Always nice to get to work and realize that you had Dan Wheldon in the work Indy 500 pool (33 entries, one driver per entry, one driver drawn randomly to EA entrant). I forgot that I had entered the pool. $3 per entry, $99 to the person who had the winning driver. Guess I am buying lunch today.

Nuthin' like winning one of those pools that takes skill. :D