PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield Wednesday are promoted !!!!! whoo hoo

RawOwl UK
05-30-2005, 03:57 PM
The best day of my life yesterday. 40'000 of our fans partying in Cardiff in the league one play off final.

Just a little taster for you all.

http://www.sandham.net/talbot_finalwhistle.wmv

p.s Yes it was really that good :)

RawOwl UK
05-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Anys comments about the video ? It almost made me cry when a saw it :)

Betterread
05-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Very visceral and inspiring. Congratulations on your move to the Championship league.

Bob Borkowski
05-30-2005, 10:33 PM
I wonder...

will pro soccer ever make it in a big way in the U.S? Is it growing on the pro level here?

LawFive
05-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Not really. There will always be a core group of fans, but it's just too boring for most Americans. I think MLS shrank by a couple of teams the year before last, didn't they?

westofyou
05-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Congrats, enjoy the buzz the next level will be hard eh?

As for the US and Soccer.... I don't expect much until the USA team romps in the future and a bunch of bandwagoners climb aboard.

Red Heeler
05-31-2005, 08:39 AM
I wonder...

will pro soccer ever make it in a big way in the U.S? Is it growing on the pro level here?

The popularity of youth soccer should help out the MLS fanbase in the future. The growing Hispanic population will do the same. It will also help if MLS can start placing their top clubs in the South American or European tournaments. FIFA helped by renewing the CONCACAF Cup.

The problem is that US soccer faces a double edged sword. As WOY pointed out, the success of the national team is going to drive the domestic fanbase. For the national team players to get the most experience against the best competition, they have to go to the European leagues. However, that leaves MLS without the star-power to really ramp up attendence.

RawOwl UK
05-31-2005, 01:52 PM
For the national team players to get the most experience against the best competition, they have to go to the European leagues. However, that leaves MLS without the star-power to really ramp up attendence.

Nail firmly hit on the head. You need some stars to attract the fans, not old has beens who come over for a final pay day. I can't ever see football (soccer) ever being really big in the States.

Betterread
05-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Why does Sheffield's Wednesday's playoff win make some of you think of American soccer's future?
Why wouldn't the more logical question be the consideration of British Football. The two largest and most successful teams are owned by a Russian and an American. This rankles many. If Reds fans are chapped at the Yankees, imagine if the Yankees were owned by French megamillionaires (or whatever country is being demonized at the moment).

Rojo
05-31-2005, 07:15 PM
The popularity of youth soccer should help out the MLS fanbase in the future.

They've been saying that for 40 years, hasn't happened yet. I doubt it ever will. I think America's team sports dance card is just too full. Even pre-strike, the NHL was having a tough go of it.

RawOwl UK
06-01-2005, 10:16 AM
This is also great.

http://www.sandham.net/perfectday-loureed_swfc.mp3

From my local bbc radio station

Enjoy

BillyBeaneFan
06-02-2005, 09:20 PM
I think MLS shrank by a couple of teams the year before last, didn't they?

On the contrary, the MLS actually added two new teams (Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA). Also, more teams are getting soccer-only stadiums. I think the LA Galaxy (or maybe it is San Jose Earthquakes) recently completed one and the DC United have one coming up in a few years. It isn't just the Columbus Crew anymore.

TC81190
06-02-2005, 09:34 PM
I have NO idea what this thread is about.

RawOwl UK
06-04-2005, 01:31 PM
"Honalulu Wednesday in paradise Honalulu Wednesday in paradise"

Gotta love the Wednesday you know what Im saying. Think October 1990 .

Unassisted
06-04-2005, 05:16 PM
The popularity of youth soccer should help out the MLS fanbase in the future. The growing Hispanic population will do the same.The soon-to-be-ex mayor of my city is chasing an MLS franchise for our big, empty downtown dome, so for the last few months, I've heard many bigwigs in town weighing in on whether it's a good idea.

Red McCombs, a local billionaire who has owned several pro sports franchises in his career says that research he's commissioned indicates American youth tend to lose interest in soccer in their early teens. This trend is said to cross ethnic demographics. Around here, the Latino community's interest in soccer is said to be limited to following teams in Latin America. Local Latinos surveyed have nearly zero interest in MLS.

Red Heeler
06-05-2005, 09:06 AM
The soon-to-be-ex mayor of my city is chasing an MLS franchise for our big, empty downtown dome, so for the last few months, I've heard many bigwigs in town weighing in on whether it's a good idea.

Red McCombs, a local billionaire who has owned several pro sports franchises in his career says that research he's commissioned indicates American youth tend to lose interest in soccer in their early teens. This trend is said to cross ethnic demographics. Around here, the Latino community's interest in soccer is said to be limited to following teams in Latin America. Local Latinos surveyed have nearly zero interest in MLS.

I thought that San Antonio had already been granted an expansion franchise.

I wonder if teens loose interest in soccer any more than they loose interest in any other sport. Early teens is when the athletic wheat gets separated from the chaff. Baseball participation falls off dramatically at the same age period.

I think the Hispanic community follows Latin American teams because they have Hispanic players. With the rise in the Hispanic population, MLS will eventually have lots of Hispanic players, thus getting more attention from the Latinos.

One of the mistakes that MLS has made, is that they have done a poor job of researching their cities. They have put franchises in "major league" cities without regard to whether or not the population of that city gives a hoot about soccer. For example, here in Knoxville, we have an adult outdoor soccer league with 30 teams and two indoor facilities with thriving adult leagues. Nashville, which would be more of a major league town, struggles to keep their adult soccer league going.

Betterread
06-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Good post red-heeler. I agree with you that well-researched sites for teams result in a clearer idenfication of a potential fan base and can make your marketing plan clearer (and less expensive).
I think that people should keep in mind that MLS should not be judged solely on the level of commercial success - as the elite soccer league in the country, youth player development and community involvement are points of emphasis for MLS.

dsmith421
06-05-2005, 08:19 PM
The best day of my life yesterday. 40'000 of our fans partying in Cardiff in the league one play off final.

Congratulations to the Owls. I bet John Harkes had a smile on his face, too, wherever he is these days.

I used to live in North London (half a mile from Highbury) so I've seen my share of Premiership/European football. Wednesday will need some luck to stay up, but as Portsmouth and Bolton have shown, it's very possible with some shrewd buys to consolidate and move into the mid-table.

Either way it's awesome to see one of the great old clubs return to the top flight.

Redsfaithful
06-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Columbus supports the Crew quite well, despite having some pretty terrible teams in recent years. It's a fun night out, and I'm certainly not a soccer nut by any means.

Betterread
06-05-2005, 09:51 PM
I thought I have had quite a bit: would a promotion/relegation system like they use in Professional European football benefit MLB? My opinion is that it would.

remdog
06-06-2005, 08:55 AM

I was in San Diego Memorial Day weekend and I didn't see anything about a big party in Cardiff. :evil:

Rem

RawOwl UK
06-10-2005, 12:32 PM
I dont get that :) Can you please enlighten me ?

remdog
06-12-2005, 02:42 AM
A little seaside town near San Diego named after the one in England.

Just a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Good luck.

Rem

RawOwl UK
06-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Ahh thought something like that :) Bet they can't speak Welsh though ;)

RawOwl UK
06-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Newport, also a Town in Wales :)