PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise's recent behavior putting Mission Impossible III at risk

savafan
06-02-2005, 11:33 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/02/movies/02crui.html?ei=5065&en=ed8bb2649fbeaa15&ex=1118289600&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print&position=

By SHARON WAXMAN

LOS ANGELES, June 1 - Just months into his tenure as chairman of Paramount, Brad Grey is facing the sort of decision that makes Hollywood executives quiver: whether to proceed with production of the hugely expensive "Mission: Impossible III," even as its star, Tom Cruise, is puzzling associates and members of the public with his behavior while promoting another Paramount venture, "War of the Worlds."

An executive for Viacom, Paramount's parent company, said the studio had not yet decided whether to push ahead with production of "Mission: Impossible III," one of the company's most valuable franchises and a project on which tens of millions of dollars has already been spent. Shooting was planned to begin in Italy on July 18 and to continue on location in Europe and elsewhere.

"No definitive decision has been made; it's a discussion," said the executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he feared endangering the studio's relationship with Mr. Cruise. Other executives involved in the discussion said the production became an issue in recent days as the budget has climbed well over $150 million. A studio spokeswoman, Janet Hill, declined to comment.

The uncertainty comes at a critical time for Paramount as it prepares to release "War of the Worlds," a big-budget science fiction epic directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Mr. Cruise. The movie, jointly financed with DreamWorks, is to open on June 29.

While promoting that film over the last several weeks, Mr. Cruise engaged in an increasingly public discussion of his religion, Scientology. Then he set tongues wagging in Hollywood and elsewhere with an hourlong appearance on the May 23 "Oprah" show, during which he jumped around the set, hopped onto a couch, fell rapturously to one knee and repeatedly professed his love for his new girlfriend, the actress Katie Holmes.

Many Hollywood stars are involved with the Church of Scientology, and there is nothing particularly unusual about trumpeting a new love. But some executives at Paramount and DreamWorks have voiced concern that fans were becoming distracted from the movie, which cost some $130 million to produce.

"You can have so much attention on a particular issue that maybe the movie doesn't get as much attention as it might," Marvin Levy, a spokesman for Mr. Spielberg, a partner in DreamWorks, said of the show. "It's the topic of conversation, for many reasons."

The two studios have already curtailed the normal promotional press junket ahead of the June 29 release of "War of the Worlds," limiting it to what Mr. Levy called a smaller number of "preselected interview sessions." He said the decision had nothing to do with Mr. Cruise but was made because there had been enough promotion already.

Mr. Cruise's recent comments and behavior have been fodder for Internet bloggers, radio talk show hosts and late-night comedians, who, among other things, have questioned whether the love affair with Ms. Holmes was a publicity stunt. A spokeswoman for Mr. Cruise denied that this was the case.

But within Hollywood, the discussion among agents, producers, studio executives and other actors has been focused more on whether Hollywood's biggest box office star was doing long-term harm to his career. And there was sincere confusion over what Mr. Cruise, a 20-year veteran of the publicity machine, had in mind with his recent public appearances and statements.

Mr. Cruise's spokeswoman, his sister Lee Anne De Vette, said she had not heard anything negative after the "Oprah" appearance. "You're looking at someone who's genuinely very happy," she said. "The response we've gotten back is complete enthusiasm and exhilaration for his enthusiasm and exhilaration. He's a very happy person."

Still, there have been other publicity hiccups related to Mr. Cruise's increasingly public association with Scientology, the religion founded by the science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. In a series of television interviews on "Access Hollywood" last week, the star spoke at length about his passion for Scientology, at one point criticizing Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants: Scientology considers modern psychiatry and its medications to be harmful.

And in an interview with the German magazine Der Spiegel in April, Mr. Cruise got into a heated exchange with an interviewer who called Scientology a pseudo-science after the star said he had personally "helped hundreds of people get off drugs." Mr. Spielberg was present at the interview and found himself defending Mr. Cruise's dedication to Scientology by comparing it to his work for his Shoah Foundation, which promotes education about the Holocaust. A DreamWorks executive called the exchange unfortunate.

One Spiegel interviewer, Lars-Olav Beier, said he was given a tour of Scientology's celebrity center before the interview. Ms. De Vette said Mr. Cruise talked about Scientology simply to answer questions. "Scientology didn't come up on 'Oprah,' " she observed. "It's a matter of what's being asked. He's not talking about it more than in the past."

Ms. De Vette also said she had not heard that plans for "Mission: Impossible III" were under review, and added that Mr. Cruise was in training for the film's stunts. "I know nothing about that," she said, referring to a Tuesday report on the Web site huffingtonpost.com that the film might be suspended. "As far as I know we're moving ahead."

Mr. Cruise's insistence on making his religion a prominent part of his current work has raised some resistance in Hollywood. Some executives from the United International Pictures, which is releasing "War of the Worlds" overseas, complained earlier about being asked to take a four-hour tour of Scientology facilities in Los Angeles in late January.

And Mr. Cruise's insistence on having a Scientology tent on the set of "War of the Worlds" created a conflict at Universal, where the movie was being shot, two executives involved said. The executives, who asked not to be identified to protect industry relationships, said that Mr. Cruise, his agent Kevin Huvane and Mr. Spielberg all had to appeal personally to the president of Universal Studios, Ron Meyer, for the tent to be permitted on the studio lot, where no solicitation is allowed.

The studio required that the tent not be used for recruitment purposes, they said. A studio spokesman declined to comment.

Blimpie
06-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Cruise had better be careful with his words...Otherwise we will see him next summer starring in Battlefield Earth II with John Travolta

LincolnparkRed
06-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Personally i think what should stop MI III isn't scientology but the fact that MI II was a giant suckfest of overdone special effects.

KronoRed
06-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Good news actually, the MI movies are junk..nothing like the TV series, can em or rename them "Fake James Bond"

creek14
06-03-2005, 08:07 AM
I saw about 15 minutes of Tom on Oprah. He was acting downright weird.

Blimpie
06-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Looks like Brooke Shields will not be at the premiere of MI III...

Brooke & Tom's War of the Words
By Sarah Hall
Thu Jun 2, 8:23 PM ET

Brooke Shields has officially engaged with Tom Cruise in what is fast becoming a celebrity war of the words.

After Cruise criticized Shields' use of antidepressants as "irresponsible" during an interview with Access Hollywood last week, Shields has suggested the leading man keep his opinions to himself.

"Tom Cruise's comments are irresponsible and dangerous," Shields said in London last week. "Tom should stick to saving the world from aliens and let women who are experiencing postpartum depression decide what treatment options are best for them."

Shields recently published Down Came the Rain, a personal chronicle of her struggle with depression following the 2003 birth of her daughter, Rowan. The memoir delves into the actress' use of Paxil as a form of treatment for her condition and is meant to inspire other women to seek help.

"Don't be ashamed, and don't disregard what you are feeling," Shields writes in the book. "I recovered only because I got help."

The actress has said she is currently in the process of weaning herself from the drug in order to try for a second child with husband Chris Henchy.

However, as a dedicated follower of Scientology, Cruise is of the belief that miNd-altering medications of any kind are "dangerous" and that women should treat conditions such as postpartum depression with "vitamins." Hence his stamp of disapproval on Shields' choice to use Paxil and to discuss that choice in her memoir.

"When you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins. There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that," the actor told Access Hollywood.

"When someone says [medication] has helped them, it is to cope, it didn't cure anything. There is no science. There is nothing that can cure them whatsoever," Cruise said.

Cruise went on to make a not-so-subtle jab at the former Suddenly Susan star's professional life.

"I care about Brooke Shields because I think she is an incredibly talented women, [but] look at where her career has gone." :doh:

Ouch. True, Shields' latest pilot, New Car Smell, was recently passed over by Fox, but the actress has been earning positive reviews in the role of Roxie Hart in the London theater production of Chicago.

Meanwhile, as anyone not living under a rock knows by now, Cruise's latest project, Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds, is scheduled to open June 29.

Though one would expect Cruise to become increasingly visible as the film's premiere date approaches, it turns out the public may actually see less of the actor than in recent weeks.

Paramount and DreamWorks have cut out the usual promotional press junket in favor of a smaller number of "preselected interview sessions," DreamWorks exec Martin Levy told the New York Times in an article published Thursday.

Speculation exists that Cruise's increasing passion for discussing both his religious beliefs and his feelings for new girlfriend Katie Holmes led to the decision to cut back on his promotional appearances.

Levy admitted that studio executives had expressed concern over Cruise's well-publicized, erratic May 23 appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, during which Cruise bounced around the room, on and off furniture, sank to the floor and repeatedly announced his love for Holmes. (At least we can rule out mind-altering drugs.)

"You can have so much attention on a particular issue that maybe the movie doesn't get as much attention as it might," Levy told the Times of the appearance. "It's the topic of conversation for many reasons."

However, Levy denied that the choice to scrap the press junket had anything to do with Cruise, rather it was made because the movie had already received sufficient promotion.

Jaycint
06-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Why must people continue to press their religious beliefs on others? Scientology, Christianity, Islam, etc etc etc. It's a personal thing, keep it to yourself.

Aceking
06-03-2005, 10:51 AM
I liked the first MI movie. The second one was garbage. I think they are using Cruise's recent behavior as a scapegoat. I think the reason Paramount is ready to pull the plug is because the movie has been in production for like 5 years now. They're on their 3rd director, who knows how many writers (4 are credited on IMDB but I know Frank Darabount worked on it and he isn't listed). I also read that a few of the people that had been cast are being replaced. My guess is Paramount sees no end in sight.

Unassisted
06-03-2005, 11:03 AM
"However, Levy denied that the choice to scrap the press junket had anything to do with Cruise, rather it was made because the movie had already received sufficient promotion."

When do publicists ever think a blockbuster movie has received sufficient promotion? To me this says TC is a loose cannon.

traderumor
06-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Kind of funny Brooke told Tom to keep his opinions to himself, yet went on to tout treatment of depression through medication, which is an opinion also, not strictly a scientific approach. Hard to believe the starlet didn't see the hypocrisy :rolleyes: .

Why must people continue to press their religious beliefs on others? Scientology, Christianity, Islam, etc etc etc. It's a personal thing, keep it to yourself.Yea, we wouldn't want things like our eternal destiny, our existence, the afterlife, God and all that messy stuff to enter into public discourse.

It is more important to talk about what happened on Wysteria Lane, whether or not Mission Impossible III is any good, and whether or not we should fire Dave Miley.

Jaycint
06-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Yea, we wouldn't want things like our eternal destiny, our existence, the afterlife, God and all that messy stuff to enter into public discourse.

It is more important to talk about what happened on Wysteria Lane, whether or not Mission Impossible III is any good, and whether or not we should fire Dave Miley.

I'm not saying don't discuss it, I'm saying don't try to tell other people how to live based on your own beliefs which is what I felt Cruise was doing to Shields.

CrackerJack
06-03-2005, 12:36 PM
I'm not saying don't discuss it, I'm saying don't try to tell other people how to live based on your own beliefs which is what I felt Cruise was doing to Shields.

Yeah I agree, and nothing is more annoying than those pretentious Scientologist freaks downtown who keep trying to stick literature in my face, at one point calling me a "slave" for having a full-time job.

If Mr. 20-something Scientologist can pay my bills with his religion then I'd happily join his alien cult.

traderumor
06-03-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm not saying don't discuss it, I'm saying don't try to tell other people how to live based on your own beliefs which is what I felt Cruise was doing to Shields.That is the nature of a truth claim. If one believes they have the truth, then expressing those truths will necessarily come off as telling one how to live. I'm not sure what value there is to discussing these things if that is not the ultimate goal. Else, you recreate first century Athens where folks sat around and exchanged ideas but were not in search of absolute truth. I would say doing anything less is "vanity, vanity, all is vanity," as Solomon said in Ecclesiastes.

Of course, everyone has to make up their own mind about such things ultimately, but it is a sad state of affairs when relativism is so steeped in the culture that one cannot express their view on life's great questions in a manner that they believe is expressing the truth, whether they actually are or not.

By the way, folks are told how to live by others every day. We call them laws, jobs, spouses, friends, enemies... ;)

KittyDuran
06-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I saw about 15 minutes of Tom on Oprah. He was acting downright weird.I can honestly say that I've never seen more than 5 minutes of Oprah... :p:

Jaycint
06-03-2005, 01:21 PM
By the way, folks are told how to live by others every day. We call them laws, jobs, spouses, friends, enemies... ;)

Haha, you know what I meant. :)

I see your point but let me try and make myself more clear. I felt like Cruise was going out of his way to rip someone for not believing the same thing he believes. That was the crux of my argument. Everybody has their own belief system and should be free to practice it among those of like mind. I think, and this is just my opinion, that the line is crossed when someone makes a blatant effort to push that belief system off on another person or to fault them for not holding the same values.

I don't like having my door knocked on at 9 AM on a Saturday. I don't like being handed a pamphlet on the way into the mall. I believe that people will search for these things on their own at a point in time when their eyes are opened to it, they shouldn't be agressively recruited.

Hopefully I haven't offended anybody here, it wasn't my intent at all.

traderumor
06-03-2005, 02:06 PM
No offense at all, jaycint, from my perspective. My purpose is to show the folly of a position that says one should keep religious views private. Of course, I would never encourage shoving one's views down another's throat about anything, whether it be musical tastes, sports, politics, or religion. However, if one can present one's case for their belief system, where's the harm, even if they try to convince one that their view is superior? Where is the threat? If you think Scientology is ridiculous, then what threat is Tom Cruise trying to shove it down your throat? Unless he has special powers that enables him to take over your mind, he is no threat whatsoever, nor is anyone else "evangelizing" their cause. So what's the harm in them expressing their opinion, even if it is persuasive in nature?

ochre
06-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Scientology is a scary scary thing.

Jaycint
06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
TR, I guess that's just where we will have to agree to disagree. I don't like the idea of "evangelizing" in the manner that it was being done by Cruise or in most cases to be quite honest. I think there is a difference between stating your beliefs and stating your beliefs with the intent to shape someone else's belief system.

BTW, I didn't mean to single out Scientology, that's why I threw in a couple other religions as well in my original post, it just happens to be the religion of the guy in question that we are discussing. I haven't studied Scientology and don't even know enough about it to have formed an opinion.

westofyou
06-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Scientology is a scary scary thing.

Would you like to take a personality test?

That's the common call I'd get from the one down the street from me as I walked by.

"No thank you I'd reply... I'm too busy maximizing my potential to take the time."

Blimpie
06-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Would you like to take a personality test?

That's the common call I'd get from the one down the street from me as I walked by.

"No thank you I'd reply... I'm too busy maximizing my potential to take the time." :D I've gotta try to remember that one...

traderumor
06-03-2005, 04:35 PM
I think there is a difference between stating your beliefs and stating your beliefs with the intent to shape someone else's belief system.It isn't about intent, it's about effect. Take for instance discussions about the Reds. As folks provided evidence that proved my convictions wrong and theirs right, then I had to make a decision about what I would believe. I could continue to believe something I knew to be false or I could change my convictions to match what I now believed to be the truth. None of those folks were guilty of "evangelizing," they were simply providing opinions based on evidence and relating that to a belief. I believe matters such as religious belief can and should be approached in the same manner--provide the evidence for the belief and let the person seeking the truth examine the evidence. Then, the evidence does the persuading. But I don't know how one can provide evidence without verbalizing, either spoken or written. It's just a necessity, and suggesting that be thwarted is doing little more than suppressing the free flow of ideas and promoting the religion of secularism (which sounds like an oxymoron, but is a religion in this context). Just because one doesn't like a belief system doesn't mean they should not be allowed to speak about it publicly.

Redsfaithful
06-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Just because one doesn't like a belief system doesn't mean they should not be allowed to speak about it publicly.

I'm fine with people speaking about whatever they want publically. But it can be annoying, and Scientologists (along with quite a few other flavors of religious belief) are usually pretty grating.

Telling people you know well about your belief system is one thing, accosting people you don't know at all is another. I think people have the most problem when individuals they don't know try to pass along their religious beliefs.

Then there are politicians who try to legislate their religious beliefs, which is arguably quite dangerous, but I don't want to pull this thread too far off topic.

The Baumer
06-03-2005, 05:26 PM
I haven't studied Scientology and don't even know enough about it to have formed an opinion.

Let's just say it was formed by a science fiction writer (L. Ron Hubbard) who was quoted as once saying "The quickest way to become a millionaire is to start your own religion". Also the future leader of the church disbanded while he was being groomed because he felt like it was a huge lie and a scam.

Who was this future leader? Why L. Ron Hubbard's very own son.

No offense to anyone, those are just two facts.

Falls City Beer
06-03-2005, 05:38 PM
The Scientologists around where I live offer to give you an IQ test. I would LOVE to see Tom Cruise's IQ results.

He strikes me as dumber than a packet of saccharine.

Jaycint
06-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Just because one doesn't like a belief system doesn't mean they should not be allowed to speak about it publicly.

Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to speak openly about their beliefs. I really think we are arguing two different points here. If people want to speak about what they believe to others of like mind then fine, I have no issue with that. What I have issue with is someone criticizing someone else about what they believe and flat out judging that other person based on those beliefs (i.e. Cruise and Shields).

By the way, I do believe in a higher power, I just don't think he attaches his name to one religion.

savafan
06-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Let's just say it was formed by a science fiction writer (L. Ron Hubbard) who was quoted as once saying "The quickest way to become a millionaire is to start your own religion". Also the future leader of the church disbanded while he was being groomed because he felt like it was a huge lie and a scam.

Who was this future leader? Why L. Ron Hubbard's very own son.

No offense to anyone, those are just two facts.

I've always found it quite humorous that so many would follow a "religion" created by a science fiction novelist. A lifestyle perhaps, or a belief system, but it should hardly be a religion.

It's insulting to so many of us who are practicing Jedi. :evil:

traderumor
06-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to speak openly about their beliefs. I really think we are arguing two different points here. If people want to speak about what they believe to others of like mind then fine, I have no issue with that. What I have issue with is someone criticizing someone else about what they believe and flat out judging that other person based on those beliefs (i.e. Cruise and Shields).

By the way, I do believe in a higher power, I just don't think he attaches his name to one religion.Pray tell how folks would find each other of like mind if they only speak these things among those who are likeminded? And that is not allowing folks to speak openly about their beliefs if you limit it to private meetings. Your ideas are exactly why the freedom of speech and the freedom or religion are so important.

Jaycint
06-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Pray tell how folks would find each other of like mind if they only speak these things among those who are likeminded? And that is not allowing folks to speak openly about their beliefs if you limit it to private meetings. Your ideas are exactly why the freedom of speech and the freedom or religion are so important.

Sigh, apparently I am quite terrible at getting across my point.

1. I am not advocating censoring anybody's right to speak whether publicly or privately about what they believe. Believe me I am a firm believer in the first ammendment. When I said that they should be able to speak openly with others of like mind about their beliefs I didn't mean behind closed doors and at a low whisper. The implication that "my" ideas are the reason freedom of speech and freedom of religion are so important is WAY off base.

2. What I don't like is agressive "evangelizing" and telling others with a straight face that what they believe is wrong because it doesn't fall in line with what you believe.

I don't really know how else I can say it.

savafan
06-03-2005, 09:04 PM
I get what you're saying Jaycint, I just don't know how to say it any better either.

Jaycint
06-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks Sava, I thought I was being pretty clear about it but I can see how sometimes on a message board it is a little harder to convey what you mean. Especially considering that I'm not quite the wordsmith that some on here are. :)

remdog
06-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Back in the late '80's I was offered a position with the Church of Scientology to market the science fiction books written by L. Ron Hubbard. Part of the interview process was a tour of the Church's headquarters in Hollywood. I have to say it was rather odd to be shown Hubbard's office which, at least at that time, was maintained exactly as he left it on his last day before he died---complete with papers on the desk, hat hung on the coat rack, pens left where he had dropped them, etc.

Of note was that the Church didn't require that I was a member of their organization nor that I even expressed any interest in their viewpoint. It was simply a business decission about who could more effectively provide the business services they needed. (shrug)

Rem

PS: I didn't take the job.

ochre
06-04-2005, 02:00 PM
There is a lot of information about scientology here (http://www.xenu.net/). It is largely from people who experienced its glory and tried to get out.

savafan
06-05-2005, 12:35 PM
:laugh:

http://contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/shields%20mocks%20cruise%20and%20holmes%20romance

Actress BROOKE SHIELDS and TOM CRUISE's ongoing feud has intensified - after the SUDDENLY SUSAN star mocked the16 year age-gap between the actor and his new girlfriend KATIE HOLMES.

Cruise - who has helped people fight drug addictions through his controversial Scientology religion - recently attacked Shields for becoming dependant on anti-depressant Paxil, following the birth of her daughter ROWAN.

And Shields has continued her war of words against Cruise following his "dangerous" comments, by offering him a child ticket so he can take Holmes to see her in hit London musical CHICAGO.

She says, "If he wants to see Chicago, I've left him two tickets - one adult, one child."

The actress recently took a swipe at Cruise's religious beliefs, by saying she wouldn't take advice from someone who devotes his life to aliens.

Falls City Beer
06-05-2005, 01:19 PM
:laugh:

http://contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/shields%20mocks%20cruise%20and%20holmes%20romance

Actress BROOKE SHIELDS and TOM CRUISE's ongoing feud has intensified - after the SUDDENLY SUSAN star mocked the16 year age-gap between the actor and his new girlfriend KATIE HOLMES.

Cruise - who has helped people fight drug addictions through his controversial Scientology religion - recently attacked Shields for becoming dependant on anti-depressant Paxil, following the birth of her daughter ROWAN.

And Shields has continued her war of words against Cruise following his "dangerous" comments, by offering him a child ticket so he can take Holmes to see her in hit London musical CHICAGO.

She says, "If he wants to see Chicago, I've left him two tickets - one adult, one child."

The actress recently took a swipe at Cruise's religious beliefs, by saying she wouldn't take advice from someone who devotes his life to aliens.

From tight blue jeans to whippin' up on Tom Cruise, you gotta respect America's Sweetheart!

wally post
06-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Scientology def scares me. And I view Brooke speaking out about taking meds for depression as something positive (just my opinion) because there are no doubt people out there who are suffering and could get help. Whether it is a shrink or whatever... help is help.
But the lesson here; if you are a celebrity...keep your mouth shut because SOMEBODY will waste you for speaking your mind. Only non-celebs are able to do that it seems.
I'm just happy to be here
We're gonna take it one game at a time
etc.

remdog
06-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Scientology def scares me. And I view Brooke speaking out about taking meds for depression as something positive (just my opinion) because there are no doubt people out there who are suffering and could get help. Whether it is a shrink or whatever... help is help.
But the lesson here; if you are a celebrity...keep your mouth shut because SOMEBODY will waste you for speaking your mind. Only non-celebs are able to do that it seems.
I'm just happy to be here
We're gonna take it one game at a time
etc.

:thumbup: Yep! Anonymity has it's perks! :D

Rem

TeamCasey
06-06-2005, 09:00 AM
I understand what you're saying Jay, and agree 100%. You've worded it fine.

Freedom of religion is what this country is built on. People can devote themselves to any faith they choose as long as it doesn't impinge on my rights. I should have a right to privacy in that people should not come on my property to push their religious agenda. People should not approach me in an airport to hand me pamphlets. I should not be pulled aside every 20 feet at the Taste of Cincinnati to hear someone's spiel. I have a right to personal space. It's disturbing and occasionally frightening.

If I'm interested in a faith, I'll attend that church. If you want to get a message across, rent a hall and sell tickets to those interested.

Leave me alone. I'm an adult and quite capable of making my own decisions.

Johnny Footstool
06-06-2005, 11:07 AM
There is a lot of information about scientology here. It is largely from people who experienced its glory and tried to get out.

Thanks for the link, ochre.

I visited the site and am now even more bewildered as to why someone would buy into Scientology. A person must have some really serious issues in order for that stuff to sound the least bit sane.

Chip R
06-06-2005, 11:21 AM
I understand what you're saying Jay, and agree 100%. You've worded it fine.People should not approach me in an airport to hand me pamphlets. I should not be pulled aside every 20 feet at the Taste of Cincinnati to hear someone's spiel. I have a right to personal space. It's disturbing and occasionally frightening.That reminds me of the scene from Airplane! where the guy is going through the airport terminal and he keeps getting accosted by people giving him pamphlets of some sort and he finally ends up punching them and throwing them out of the way.

TeamDunn
06-09-2005, 04:35 PM
http://www.freekatie.net/

Some fans are not to thrilled with the romance!

savafan
06-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Why won't this story die? It's becoming worse than Bennifer. Tomatie?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050611/D8ALF1G00.html

NEW YORK (AP) - Tom Cruise says girlfriend Katie Holmes "digs" the Church of Scientology. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Cruise says the 26-year-old "Batman Begins" actress is curious about Scientology, founded by L. Ron Hubbard.

"Yes, absolutely. She digs it," the 42-year-old actor tells the magazine.

When asked if he's become more passionate about Scientology, Cruise says: "I've always been passionate about it. I've always talked about it when people asked about it."

He also confirmed there was a Scientology massage tent on the set of his upcoming film, "War of the Worlds."

"I also had a cappuccino tent on that set. And I made sure the crews were fed well, too. And if someone wanted an assist from a (Scientology) volunteer, it was there for them," he says. "People are curious about it - they're always asking me about it, they want to know what Scientology is."

In an EW.com poll, 61 percent of respondents said they liked Cruise less now after the recent exhaustive attention to his personal life, 3 percent said they liked him more, and 36 percent said their viewpoint of the "Top Gun" star hadn't changed.

When asked by the interviewer if he's going to propose to Holmes, Cruise whispered, "It's gonna happen, man. It'll happen."

Falls City Beer
06-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Why won't this story die? It's becoming worse than Bennifer. Tomatie?

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050611/D8ALF1G00.html

NEW YORK (AP) - Tom Cruise says girlfriend Katie Holmes "digs" the Church of Scientology. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Cruise says the 26-year-old "Batman Begins" actress is curious about Scientology, founded by L. Ron Hubbard.

"Yes, absolutely. She digs it," the 42-year-old actor tells the magazine.

When asked if he's become more passionate about Scientology, Cruise says: "I've always been passionate about it. I've always talked about it when people asked about it."

He also confirmed there was a Scientology massage tent on the set of his upcoming film, "War of the Worlds."

"I also had a cappuccino tent on that set. And I made sure the crews were fed well, too. And if someone wanted an assist from a (Scientology) volunteer, it was there for them," he says. "People are curious about it - they're always asking me about it, they want to know what Scientology is."

In an EW.com poll, 61 percent of respondents said they liked Cruise less now after the recent exhaustive attention to his personal life, 3 percent said they liked him more, and 36 percent said their viewpoint of the "Top Gun" star hadn't changed.

When asked by the interviewer if he's going to propose to Holmes, Cruise whispered, "It's gonna happen, man. It'll happen."

Well, that poll solved it for me; I don't know about any of you cats.

I hope one day I can talk about "religion" in this way: "'She digs it.'"

"Digs?" Where do I sign up?!!

savafan
06-17-2005, 01:06 PM
It just won't die.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/17/cruise.holmes.ap/

Friday, June 17, 2005 Posted: 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)

PARIS, France (AP) -- Actor Tom Cruise said he and girlfriend Katie Holmes are engaged, after he popped the question early Friday morning atop the Eiffel Tower.

Cruise, speaking at a Paris news conference with Holmes, said: "Yes, I proposed to her."

The couple often shared smiles and blushes as Cruise turned to look at her, with a massive diamond ring on her finger.

"It was early this morning at the Eiffel Tower, so I haven't slept at all," he said. "Today is a magnificent day for me, I'm engaged to a magnificent woman."

Asked why he chose the famed Paris landmark, he said: "I've never been to the Eiffel Tower. It's Paris, it's a beautiful city, it's very romantic."

Cruise said no date for a wedding has been set: "We haven't discussed that -- one step at a time," he said. "Let's see. We're not sure."

Cruise, 42, was in Paris to promote the French release of the Steven Spielberg film "War of the Worlds" next month. He and 26-year-old Holmes went public with their romantic relationship in April.

Holmes did not speak to reporters, but at one point, Cruise whispered to her: "Are you OK?" Afterward, the two hurried into a car before leaving for a promotional event in Marseilles, southern France.

"I wish them the happiest marriage that anyone has ever had," said Dakota Fanning, the child actress who co-stars with Cruise in the film. She sat next to Holmes during the news conference.

Cruise and Holmes have faced repeated rumors of marriage. The relationship started after Cruise split from actress Penelope Cruz, and Holmes and actor Chris Klein called off their long-standing engagement.

While in Berlin two days ago, Cruise dismissed speculation by tabloid newspapers and celebrity gossip columns that their relationship is a stunt to promote their new movies.

Holmes was in London earlier this week to promote her new film, "Batman Begins." She had also dismissed accusations that the couple had staged a relationship for publicity.

Holmes said then that she was embracing Scientology -- Cruise's religion. The former star of television's "Dawson's Creek" grew up with a poster of Cruise on her bedroom wall and has said she grew up wanting to marry him.

Red Leader
06-17-2005, 01:11 PM
They showed Katie Holmes on the Today show this morning and she looked like she was drugged. She said, I mean slurred, "I'm very, very happy." or something resembling that.

Unassisted
06-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Hopefully, marriage will be just what Tom Cruise needs to settle down. ;)

westofyou
06-17-2005, 01:30 PM
It just won't die.

yet it finds it way to the top every day or so here.

zombie-a-go-go
06-17-2005, 01:41 PM
In one of the biggest developments since the signing of the Magna Carta in 1215, actress Katie Holmes is converting to Scientology. "She digs it," reads virtually ever news headline in the known world. Now I'm not the most informed person on Teegeeack, but I honestly had no idea who Katie Holmes was until Tom Cruise decided she was important while in the midst of his own personal Mel Gibson-like downward spiral into religious zealotry.

Naturally, this got me thinking a lot, so I did some research. Apparently Katie Holmes is in the new Batman movie, and Batman is the superhero alter ego of billionaire Bruce Wayne. I spent the rest of the day reading Batman comic books before eventually deciding to finish my research. Batman is pretty awesome. Regardless, as far as I can tell, Katie Holmes is still pretty much a big nobody plagued by pesky thetans or, in layman's terms, spirits illegally occupying her body. But you know what, with a little help from Scientology, she'll be a real somebody. Scientology is about transcendence and going to indescribable places on the back of pure, mind-blistering imagination, far from the doubting reach of logic or common sense. Like all things, the first days are always the most memorable. Katie Holmes, you're in for a wonderful ride!

The First Magical Days of Scientology

Day 1: Buffet Party, IMAX Screening of "Battlefield: Earth"

As a new member of the Church of Scientology, you're going to enjoy a tremendous buffet, dining with such notable Hollywood stars as John Travolta, Corin Nemec, and Tom Cruise. Be sure not to let Kirstie Alley cut in line, or there will be nothing left for you!

After the meal you will relax in the beautiful Dianetics IMAX Theater for an exclusive screening of "Battlefield: Earth" alongside the film's heart and soul. Afterwards, John Travolta will regale you with trivia, behind the scenes stories, and humorous anecdotes from the making of this landmark motion picture. Once you are fully versed in "Battlefield: Earth" knowledge, you will be administered a near-lethal dose of knockout gas.

Day 2: Orientation, E-reading, and Audit

Waking up in the basement of the Flag Land Base can be a discomforting experience, but don't worry, as it and the explosive collar strapped to your neck are all part of your spiritual journey. At this point, because the thetan forces inside you will be telling you to run, it is important that you resist them. The collar will explode if you leave the premises and a cover story explaining that you tried to steal three tons of C4 explosives in the trunk of the original 1966 Batmobile will be leaked to the press. The CoS will also sue your family for damages.

Feeling comfortably helpless, you are now ready to begin the orientation process. At this point you will disclose all financial assets to your new Scientology caretakers and sign several wavers agreeing to let the CoS use your name and likeness for corporate promotions and important press releases and legal notices.

The CoS will also need to determine just how troubled you are by thetans. To accomplish this, you will hold some metal cylinders that should maybe hopefully cause the dial on the E-meter's gauge to move. If it doesn't, then the E-Meter technician is authorized to guestimate your spiritual standing using a simple thetan-weight ratio L. Ron Hubbard scribbled down on a Bob's Big Boy napkin.

Once your paperwork is in order, you'll be ready to enjoy some quality fun with your new Scientology family!

Day 3: Party at Hubbardland Secret SeaOrg Waterpark

After that stressful second day, you will undoubtedly need to unwind and be reassured not to call authorities for help. Provided you don't squirm or try to escape, you will be taken to a top secret SeaOrg waterpark located deep in the Mediterranean. Once there, you will be treated to a lavish banquet, and be the guest judge for a diving contest between Isaac Hayes and Giovanni Ribisi. Afterwards, the whole gang will join in for a delicious barbeque and share campfire stories about the old days, when the solar system and Earth (Teegeeack) were overpopulated with hundreds of billions of people.

Day 4-84: Extensive Brainwashing

All religions require learning and sacrifice, and Scientology is no exception. To truly become a scientologist, you'll need to be systematically brainwashed to the point where your mind is just a big old bowl of highly pliable silly putty. That's when you're mind is clear and open to understanding the wisdom that is Scientology without having some pesky thetan inside you say, "that's bull****!" Don't perpetuate the vicious cycle that Xenu started so long ago, break free and become clear.

Over these tense days, you'll learn that you're not just any ridiculous idiotóno, you're the Church of Scientology's ridiculous idiot! Somewhere in the middle of this you'll probably find the time to learn to pilot a zeppelin. Also your friends and family will fear you, but that's just because the thetans inside them are jealous of your newfound clarity.

The collar comes off and you're released into the wild a free minded, free thinking Scientologist, ready to reshape the world with your imagination!

Day 85: Visit to Outer Space On Board Hubbard 3 Moon Rocket, Oprah

Being a true part of the family, you'll be ready to experience the monumental benefits of being a Scientologist. Strap in tight, because John Travolta and the Scientology Gang are about to take you on a flight into outer space on board a state-of-the-art rocket ship invented by L. Ron Hubbard on a lazy Sunday not spent filing taxes. Travolta, an experienced pilot, will zigzag through asteroids, swooping low through Martian canyons, and landing at the base of a large volcano on Jupiter, where you will enjoy a lovely picnic amidst the oppressive gravity and 600 mph winds.

Then it's a quick jot back through the solar system to good old Teegeeack for the start of some more fun with your good friend Oprah Winfrey! She'll have plenty of questions to ask you, and this is your time to really sell the world on your new family.

There you have it, Mrs. Katie Cruise-Holmes! Scientology is not without its bumps, but overall, it's a very magical ride. Hop on board today!

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2970

Chip R
06-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Sounds like she's been getting too many Cruise missle hits. ;)