PDA

View Full Version : Travis Hafner

Red Leader
06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
What's wrong with Travis Hafner?

He burst onto the scene last year with a .993 OPS. Was it a one year wonder?

He got off to a slow start this year, and I've been waiting for him to catch fire, and waiting, and waiting.

I know the CLE offense has really struggled as a whole this year. Travis is hitting .273 with a .838 OPS. He has 30BB and 36K. 6 HR (I was expecting more at this point) and 22 RBI (expecting more here, too). When Vladdy comes off the DL, I'll have to drop someone on my team to make room for him, and Travis is the top candidate to go right now (with Dave Roberts also being a choice). Roberts is suprisingly posting a .809 OPS so far this year and adds SB's to my team (which Hafner doesn't do). Also somewhat of a suprise, Roberts has as many RBI as Hafner so far (22).

Do you think Hafner will rebound and "catch fire?" Or would you drop him for someone like Aaron Rowand immediately to get him off my team and then re-evaluate when Vlad comes off the DL (probably June 13 or so) to see who to drop to make room for Vlad then.

My current lineup is:

C- I.Rodriguez
1B- T. Hafner
2B- M. Giles
3B- D.Wright
SS- M. Young
OF- L. Berkman
OF- B. Giles
OF- C.Floyd
UTIL- A. Dunn
UTIL- D. Roberts
UTIL- E. Chavez
DL- V. Guerrero

Stewie
06-06-2005, 03:47 PM
I'd keep Hafner over Roberts. I know Roberts gets steals, but I'd keep the better hitter over the guy who just gets steals. Actually, I'd see if there was any trade interest in Roberts, since his value is probably the highest it will get. Someone would probably be willing to overpay for Roberts. Hafner has been hitting better recently, and I think his power will come back as well. I definitely would choose Hafner over Rowand.

And I hope that the "E" in "E. Chavez" stands for Eric. If it stands for Endy, you may want to reconsider that one.

Red Leader
06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
I'd keep Hafner over Roberts. I know Roberts gets steals, but I'd keep the better hitter over the guy who just gets steals. Actually, I'd see if there was any trade interest in Roberts, since his value is probably the highest it will get. Someone would probably be willing to overpay for Roberts. Hafner has been hitting better recently, and I think his power will come back as well. I definitely would choose Hafner over Rowand.

And I hope that the "E" in "E. Chavez" stands for Eric. If it stands for Endy, you may want to reconsider that one.

Yea, that's Eric Chavez, whose bat seems to be coming around just like it does in late May, early June every year.

The two weeks I've had Dave Roberts on my team (while Vlad's been on the DL) I've won the SB category. I have a lot of "secondary" base stealers, guys that will get about 10-15 SB a year, but no one that will get me 30+ other than Roberts.

I do however have high OBP mashers like Dunn, Berkman, Wright, and B. Giles. I think I have plenty of "power" hitters, especially when you add in Vladdy. I just think that Roberts adds more to what my team needs more than what Hafner brings. I know Hafner is the better hitter of the two.

Red Leader
06-06-2005, 04:08 PM
I've been trying to shop C Ivan Rodriguez and DH Travis Hafner for an elite OF like Carlos Lee, Jim Edmonds, Miguel Cabrera, Sheffield etc. but no dice so far. The reason I'm trying to deal those two is to open a spot for Vlad, and to grab Victor Martinez, who is a free agent (someone dropped him). He's been heating up recently, and long term, I think he'll out produce Pudge.

Red Leader
06-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Ok, I've decided that I'm going to drop Dave Roberts when Vlad comes off the DL (this weekend, early next week).

The question I have is, should I drop Travis Hafner and pick up Justin Morneau?

Someone recently dropped Morneau because of his elbow problems. He's expected to return to the starting lineup today I believe. Would you make this move. I really like Morneau's ability, and Hafner has been struggling. He's also most likely going to sit this whole week while they play in NL parks. We don't have any bench spots, so Hafner sitting all week would really hurt my team.

Thoughts?

Anybody have any PECOTA projections for these two (Hafner / Morneau) for the rest of the season?

Stewie
06-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I still like Hafner and think he will rebound a bit. He probably won't put up numbers as good as last year, but the power numbers should improve. He still has a decent OBP. That said, Morneau has a higher upside, and if he is healthy (I think you're right in that he is coming back today), then he should be better than Hafner, at least from a power standpoint. I would probably make that move to pick up Morneau.

Red Leader
06-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks, Stewie. I can always count on you for feedback.

I just offered someone in our league C Ivan Rodriguez and 1B/DH Travis Hafner for 1B/DH David Ortiz and C Michael Barrett.

I'm hoping he bites on that. If he rejects, I'm going to drop Hafner and pick up Morneau later today. If he accepts, I'll be in real good shape as I can drop Barrett and pick up Victor Martinez.

westofyou
06-08-2005, 04:38 PM
At the plate they'll need to fight through injuries--a trio sustained in an extra-inning epic, with Nick Punto (hamstring) and perhaps Joe Mauer (groin) and Justin Morneau (hyperextended elbow) winding up on the DL--to keep pace.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4105

Red Leader
06-08-2005, 04:42 PM
So you think Morneau will end up on the DL, woy.

He was used as a pinch hitter last night and stayed in to play an inning or two at 1B.

I wouldn't think they would do that if they were going to DL him.

westofyou
06-08-2005, 04:44 PM
So you think Morneau will end up on the DL, woy.

He was used as a pinch hitter last night and stayed in to play an inning or two at 1B.

I wouldn't think they would do that if they were going to DL him.

Be wary of injuries, if Hafner is below the mean I'd expect a climb a bit back (I know I do, but I did pick up the injured Wilkerson to spot him if he doesn't)

This was in an article today on BP

DH Travis Hafner
Projected: .287/.392/.524/.317
Actual: .273/.396/.442/.300

The Indians recognized that Hafner wasn't quite as good as his 2004 numbers indicated, as evidenced by the relatively cheap contract extension that they gave him earlier this spring. That said, I'm sure they expected a little bit more power output than this. Hafner's plate discipline has been fine this year--if anything, he may be taking too many pitches--and the extra-base output should recover. Even if it doesn't, he's still part of the solution.

Red Leader
06-08-2005, 05:04 PM
So...what would you do? I don't have a bench to put players on, so whoever I have on my team has to be on my active roster. Are you thinking I should hold Hafner, and wait to see if Morneau is completely healthy? Even with the possibility that Hafner may sit this whole week playing in NL parks??

westofyou
07-04-2005, 03:24 PM
So... how's Hafner helping ya out the past month?

.345/.430/.736/1.166 June

3-3 today with a HR

Red Leader
07-05-2005, 12:11 AM
He's helping out quite a bit. He's been a monster over the past month, as you've already pointed out. The calendar changed but he's still on a tear.

Today's final line for the double header:

6-10 .600 3 HR, 6 RBI, 4 R.

Yowza.

Red Leader
07-05-2005, 12:17 AM
His OPS for the season was up to .957 after his torrid June, as well.

I actually did drop Hafner at one point and picked up Morneau while the Indians were playing in NL parks. I quickly dropped Morneau and picked Hafner back up when they returned home after their NL interleague matchups (thank God).