View Full Version : UC Recruit Charged With Rape

redsfan30
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Per Pic on 1360.

More details to come.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Honesltly, will it ever stop?

How can any of you UC fans justify keeping Huggins? Huggings and Huggins alone is the one who brings these thugs into the program. It's Huggins fault that UC is viewed nationally as a thug school.

I don't care, I'm not a UC fan at all. But why don't you guys?

RedFanAlways1966
06-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Cunningham talked about it during my drive to/from lunch. I guess the kid went to a private school in order to get higher grades to avoid missing his freshman year in a D-I program. I give him crdit for that, but it makes me realize that he probably is not too smart or intelligent (bad grades to start). And it sounds like he is not the only kid involved in this matter. Cunningham said it was statutory rape.

My first thought was, "Can't blame Huggs for this." And how can this be Huggs' fault? The kid, according to WLW, has never been in trouble with the law prior to this. In this particular case I cannot fault Huggs. Other cases... sure, I have to say that Huggs knew a kid was a risk. But this kid did not seem to have a record of troublemaking at all. Just not a very good academic student. As far as I have heard. I am sure we will hear more.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 01:18 PM
My first thought was, "Can't blame Huggs for this." And how can this be Huggs' fault? The kid, according to WLW, has never been in trouble with the law prior to this. In this particular case I cannot fault Huggs. Other cases... sure, I have to say that Huggs knew a kid was a risk. But this kid did not seem to have a record of troublemaking at all. Just not a very good academic student. As far as I have heard. I am sure we will hear more.

We have already heard more. On Pic's show this morning he read one of this kid's quotes after he signed with UC. Something to the extent of how he was attracted to UC because of the style of play but also because Coach Huggins stuck with him through all his problems.

Uh oh. That, to me, signifies that Huggins did, indeed, have some knowledge of what this kid did. If that is the case, it's another nail in the coffin.

SunDeck
06-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Honesltly, will it ever stop?

How can any of you UC fans justify keeping Huggins? Huggings and Huggins alone is the one who brings these thugs into the program. It's Huggins fault that UC is viewed nationally as a thug school.

I don't care, I'm not a UC fan at all. But why don't you guys?

Cheap Shot.
I think there are other situations where I'd say Huggs should have done a better job, but in those situations the kids were fully within the fold of the program. This kid is not in town and is not in contact with the program 24/7 like would be once he is on campus.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Cheap Shot.
I think there are other situations where I'd say Huggs should have done a better job, but in those situations the kids were fully within the fold of the program. This kid is not in town and is not in contact with the program 24/7 like would be once he is on campus.

But the whole point is that Huggins knew the character of this kid. This didn't come out of the blue. This rape happened last fall, BEFORE he committed to UC. More will come out I'm sure, but this is just another sad chapter in the dismal story that is the UC basketball program under Bob Huggins.

Redsfaithful
06-08-2005, 02:18 PM
But the whole point is that Huggins knew the character of this kid. This didn't come out of the blue. This rape happened last fall, BEFORE he committed to UC. More will come out I'm sure, but this is just another sad chapter in the dismal story that is the UC basketball program under Bob Huggins.

Was UC the only school that recruited this guy? Because if they weren't then that would mean other coaches were willing to take a chance on him as well.

SunDeck
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Did I miss that part? I didn't see it in this thread or in the one you responded to. I was responding to what I read here, which was that the kid was charged with rape. I assumed it was a recent development.

That's not fair, giving me half the facts. Redszone is my only source of information :eek:

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Did I miss that part? I didn't see it in this thread or in the one you responded to. I was responding to what I read here, which was that the kid was charged with rape. I assumed it was a recent development.

That's not fair, giving me half the facts. Redszone is my only source of information :eek:

I'm going by what I heard on Jeff Piecorro's show this morning on 1360. Apparently this incident happened last fall and involved 3 or 4 other players at that prep school -- one of whom is committed to the College of Charleston, I believe.

But Pic read this kid's comments that he made when he signed with UC, and he said something to the extent that he was coming here because Coach Huggins didn't give up on him despite his past.

If that is the case, it appears that Huggins knew of this situation or some other problems in his background.

Boss-Hog
06-08-2005, 02:58 PM
But Pic read this kid's comments that he made when he signed with UC, and he said something to the extent that he was coming here because Coach Huggins didn't give up on him despite his past.

I've always been under the impression that Evans was referring to Huggins staying with him when other coaches lost interest due to his grades/test scores (which had been an issue).

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
The school is the Winchendon School in Boston. The UC recruit is Tyree Evans, 20, of Richmond, Va.

Boston.com ran an AP story about the incident today

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/06/08/winchendon_school_basketball_players_charged_with_ rape/[EMAIL]http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/06/08/winchendon_school_basketball_players_charged_with_ rape/

Winchendon School basketball players charged with rape

June 8, 2005

WINCHENDON, Mass. --Several current and former basketball players at the Winchendon School are charged with statutory rape in connection with an alleged incident last fall at the prep school, according to court documents.
Article Tools

The Telegram and Gazette of Worcester reported that Lorenzo Keeler, 19, of Temecula, Calif., Tyree Evans, 20, of Richmond, Va., and Oliver Harrison, 19, of Danville, Ill., are all current members of the Winchendon basketball team.

Benjamin Brown, 19, of Richmond, Va., and Ramone Wellington, 19, of Pittsburg, Calif., are former players.

Keeler, Evans, Brown and Wellington were charged last month with statutory rape and indecent assault of a child over 14. Harrison has been charged with distributing material of a child in the nude.

No details of the incident were released, and a judge ordered all records impounded at the request of prosecutors. The five players are due to appear in Winchendon District Court next Tuesday.

The school's headmaster, William LaBelle, could not be reached for comment.

The Winchendon School, in north-central Massachusetts, plays in the elite New England Prep School Athletic Council and recruits players from all over the country who often go on to play Division I college and professional basketball.

According to the Telegram, Evans has signed a letter of intent to play at the University of Cincinnati in the fall. Tom Hathaway, assistant athletic director for media relations at the school, said Tuesday he was not aware of the charges against the 6-foot-3 guard.

Keeler has a scholarship to play at San Jose State and is rated 56th nationally in a listing of top fifth-year players, according to the Winchendon Web site. Lawrence Fan, a spokesman for San Jose State athletics, would not comment on the case Tuesday. "We're in a fact-finding situation," he said.

The newspaper said Brown, a 6-9 power forward, has signed to play at the College of Charleston.

Doug Stewart of Casper College in Casper, Wyo., said Tuesday that Wellington transferred to the western school this year in an attempt to improve his grades and play basketball, but was not able to improve enough to meet the school's requirements and left the school by April.

In 1999, five students at Winchendon School were charged with sexually assaulting two 14-year-old girls. Four of the students were on the basketball team. One was acquitted, charges were dropped against another, and in 2002, three of the students were found guilty and placed on probation.

CrackerJack
06-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Not that it matters anymore but it was consensual sex with a 16 year old, UC says they weren't aware of the charges until yesterday.

Same old, same old with Huggins...and yes I am one long time UC fan who's sick of Huggins and the type of players he pursues.

If Evans can't play at UC now as a result or Huggins dismisses him it's just another short roster or he'll have to rely on a lesser player again...ho hum, UC basketball has become a running joke.

Jaycint
06-08-2005, 04:01 PM
UC Recruit Charged With Rape

And a cheer goes up from all the haters in the crowd. I think I'll start linking news reports about all of the young men Bob Huggins has helped out of poor circumstances and given a second chance in life to. How many of these supposed "thugs" do you think wouldn't have been playing somewhere else if the didn't attend UC? Let me give you the quick answer: They ALL would have been given a chance to play somewhere else in Division 1. It's not like UC is the one stop shop for all players of questionable character, shall I post links to all of the other players in other programs that get busted for doing stupid stuff? I mean you guys that are giddy with excitement to post a negative UC/Bob Huggins story do realize it goes on everywhere else too right?

There are many fine young men that have graduated from Bob Huggins program and gone on to do wonderful things with their lives. Not to mention a graduation rate that has been ridiculously misrepresented in the national media.

RedFanAlways1966
06-08-2005, 04:02 PM
20-years-old and still playing HS basketball? Geez... he should be better than others "that are not his age".

HS athletics should have an age limit. Whether you were held back for the right reasons or the wrong reasons (to get an advantage), it is not fair to kids who are playing at the correct age. I am even agreeable to a 19-year-old limit. After 19-years-old, you should not be allowed to participate.

Just something not right about a 20-year-old mingling with 14-year-old freshman girls in school everyday too. Hence, the story at hand in this thread. <shakes head in disgust>

Matt700wlw
06-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Those who think this has anything to do with Bob Huggins simply just don't like the guy.

Think about it...this kid is half way across the country and not even a UC student yet....this has nothing to do with Huggins

I guess the kid who will play for UC in 6 years who just got in a fight at school and suspended or expelled is Bob Huggins' fault too...

Matt700wlw
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm going by what I heard on Jeff Piecorro's show this morning on 1360. Apparently this incident happened last fall and involved 3 or 4 other players at that prep school -- one of whom is committed to the College of Charleston, I believe.

If that is the case, it appears that Huggins knew of this situation or some other problems in his background.

Huggs isn't giving up on him because of grades...not rape

CrackerJack
06-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Think about it...this kid is half way across the country and not even a UC student yet....this has nothing to do with Huggins

I guess the kid who will play for UC in 6 years who just got in a fight at school and suspended or expelled is Bob Huggins' fault too...

So when is Huggins' responsible exactly for the type of kids he recruits and signs?

Of course it'd be different if this were an isolated or unusual problem with someone he recruited - but we all know that's not the case...it's a continual and consistent problem every single year with one or more players and their problems with the law.

As a UC fan it's just another thing I'll have to hear about for years on end from the haters in addition to the 2nd round exit jokes.

Even Huggs' own assistant coach can't stay out of legal trouble.

No other D-1 school in the country I'm aware of has this many problems with their recruits or their players or staff....none.

Why does Huggins get a free pass from everyone in this city? For how long can he continue to live on past deeds?

Just once I'd like to hear some good/positive news regarding UC basketball.

UKFlounder
06-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Here's the story from the Enquirer.

Enquirer story (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050608/SPT0101/506090304)

University of Cincinnati signee Tyree Evans has been charged in Massachusetts with statutory rape and indecent assault from an incident last October, according to court documents.

Evans, a 6-3 guard from Richmond, Va., played this past season at The Winchendon School, a private prep school in Massachusetts.

"We are shocked and saddened to learn of the allegations against Tyree Evans," said UC athletic director Bob Goin. "We are in a fact-finding mode right now and will let the judicial process play itself out. If these allegations are true, we will not honor our commitment to Tyree and he will not be a part of our basketball program."

Evans, the player of the year in Virginia in 2003-04, signed with the Bearcats last fall. He is the No. 3 all-time leading scorer in Virginia High School history, trailing only Allen Iverson and Moses Malone.

UC head coach Bob Huggins said he was stunned to hear of the developments.

"I am shocked to hear of these allegations. We just found out about this," he said. "We are in the process of getting as much information as we can."

LoganBuck
06-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Depending on the specifics of this story, which no one on here really knows, I am inclined to let this one play out a little. Statutory rape could be consensual sex between him and a 16 year old girl. Think back to high school, how many of you knew of a Senior having sex with Sophomores or even Freshmen. According to the law in some states that is statutory rape.

Ohio State had a recent case where a reciever was charged with statutory rape. People went nuts, but it turned out that while he was a Senior in high school he was having sex with a girl who was a 15 year old freshmen. He broke up with her, and she went to her parents, who went to the police, who looked into it and didn't charge anybody. After he gets to Ohio State, the parents get the ear of a sympathetic prosecutor and charges are filed six months later. The fans go crazy, after all this was during all the ESPN Mo Clarett mess. He ended up pleading it out to a misdemeanor.

Like I said, we don't know the facts, we should let it play out a little.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 10:53 PM
I mean you guys that are giddy with excitement to post a negative UC/Bob Huggins story do realize it goes on everywhere else too right?

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Sure there are problems elsewhere, but like this? Cut Huggins a break if it happens once, or twice, or 7 times. But this is the rule rather than the exception. It's almost front page news now when a UC player or basketball coach ISN'T getting into trouble. UC fans can rationalize this all they want, but the facts remain.

paintmered
06-08-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Sure there are problems elsewhere, but like this? Cut Huggins a break if it happens once, or twice, or 7 times. But this is the rule rather than the exception. It's almost front page news now when a UC player or basketball coach ISN'T getting into trouble. UC fans can rationalize this all they want, but the facts remain.

Yeah, nevermind those four seniors who are graduating this weekend on schedule.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah, nevermind those four seniors who are graduating this weekend on schedule.

If you're satisfied with the state of UC basketball, that's great. Nobody has to justify anything to me. But outside of the UC-colored glasses in the I-275 belt, more people have my view of UC basketball.

paintmered
06-08-2005, 11:25 PM
If you're satisfied with the state of UC basketball, that's great. Nobody has to justify anything to me. But outside of the UC-colored glasses in the I-275 belt, more people have my view of UC basketball.

I find plenty of things wrong with the state of UC basketball. But I also am not misguided by media misinformation to think that every player that steps foot on this campus is a felon who won't graduate.

There are success stories. You just don't hear about them outside the I-275 loop.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
And there are success stories on the 2005 Reds (WMP, Ryan Freel, Aaron Harang), but that doesn't mean the organization isn't a disaster.

Reds4Life
06-08-2005, 11:44 PM
And there are success stories on the 2005 Reds (WMP, Ryan Freel, Aaron Harang), but that doesn't mean the organization isn't a disaster.

Big problem with your analogy, UC wins, consistently.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Big problem with your analogy, UC wins, consistently.

But at what cost? A fairly steep one, if you ask me.

paintmered
06-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Was UC the only school that recruited this guy? Because if they weren't then that would mean other coaches were willing to take a chance on him as well.

No. Other schools who were recruiting him include Penn State, Georgia and Clemson.

http://bearcatnews.com/recruiting/bio/194/

There were also a number of football programs recruiting him. These include: Marshall, Clemson, N.C.State, Miami, Illinois, Michigan, West Virginia and Nebraska.

paintmered
06-08-2005, 11:54 PM
But at what cost? A fairly steep one, if you ask me.

A fairly steep one that includes entry to a major conference.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-09-2005, 12:43 AM
A fairly steep one that includes entry to a major conference.

A major conference that many experts, including UC shill Mike DeCourcey, agree simply cannot last. By 2010 it's almost a given that it will be shuffled again, and leaving will probably be the likes of Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette and DePaul.

kyred14
06-09-2005, 03:33 AM
i just don't see how this keeps happening to UC, they won a lot of my respect with the heart they against my cats in the tournament. then a couple of days later, maxiell goes off and says something like "we would have won 4 out of 5 times," a dumb and unnessacary comment considering they played the best they could have hoped for and still lost by 9. and now huggy decides to go after another thug, the more things change, the more they stay the same :rolleyes:

Jaycint
06-09-2005, 09:35 AM
i just don't see how this keeps happening to UC, they won a lot of my respect with the heart they against my cats in the tournament. then a couple of days later, maxiell goes off and says something like "we would have won 4 out of 5 times," a dumb and unnessacary comment considering they played the best they could have hoped for and still lost by 9.

Let me tackle this:

1. What does the UC/UK tournament game have to do with the topic at hand? Nothing.

2. Since you brought it up, UC didn't play the best they could that night. They played a great half, absorbed Kentucky's great start and had a halftime lead. Had they played a complete game that night and played with the same fire in the second half there is a good chance they would have won. The better team won that night, I'm not gonna argue that point, but please don't make it out like UC played above their heads for 60 minutes and still could only get within 9 of big bad UK.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I thought UC played absolutely lights out against UK, except for the first 3 or 4 minutes.

traderumor
06-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Sort of like what happens when there is a problem at OSU? or UK? ;)

Defending Huggins is starting to rank up there with Pete Rose apologists.