PDA

View Full Version : My dilemma Dish Network V DirectTV

LoganBuck
06-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I have had Dish Network for about 6 years and have been relatively happy with the service. That changed last year. They wanted to upgrade customers in my area with SuperDish recievers. My reciever just stopped getting local channels last week. I am told that a unit on my reciever dish is apparently bad. I am off contract.

My wife called DN yesterday and they ran her through some tests and determined that we needed to pay $100 for a service call fo someone to come out and look at it, above any costs of repairs.

I looked over everything I could today, and called them back, I mentioned I was not happy with the $100, and they reduced it to $49.99 or $29.99 if I signed up for a $6.99/mo extended warranty. :thumbdown I told the tech support people I would explore my options and that I was not happy. I called DirectTV and asked them what they could do for me. They offered me a new free system, a dvd player, and a DVR for $50. The bill for three tv's/w TIVO ended up being ~$60, I currently pay $51 for similar program on 2 TV's with no TIVO through DN. I called DNetwork back, suddenly the service call is free and they will get me a DVR machine for $100 the monthly bill would be the same as DirectTV.

Like I said I was happy with Dish Network's service until recently. What would you do? I am leaning on switching.

TeamDunn
06-13-2005, 03:45 PM
I'd switch for the simple fact that they had pissed me off and I would never really be happy with their service again.

I WISH I could get ANY dish!!! I miss MLB EI. The cable co here dropped all sports packages. :thumbdown

HotCorner
06-13-2005, 03:47 PM
I've had DirecTV for five plus years and have very few complaints. I would recommend their service. If you are football fan, they own the rights to the NFL ticket plus NFL network I believe is only available through them as well.

KronoRed
06-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Switch, you get a lot of great stuff as a new customer.

TD..Insight? yeah..ain't they a big barrel of fun :rant:

LoganBuck
06-13-2005, 03:50 PM
TeamDunn, why cant you get a Dish?

Here is a helpful link I found today. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/get_directv/get_directv_havequestions_installation.jsp

TeamDunn
06-13-2005, 04:05 PM
TeamDunn, why cant you get a Dish?

Here is a helpful link I found today. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/get_directv/get_directv_havequestions_installation.jsp

Well, the apt complex I live in says no dishes...just cable, they have contract with sucky Insight. :(

But! A new tenant moved in down the hall from me and I saw a directv dish on his patio. The next time I see him I am going to see if he has it hooked up! If so then I am getting it around the All Star Break and get the 2nd half of MLB EI! :thumbup:

RBA
06-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Before you cancel Dish altogether make sure you reach the Retention Department. In most cases they don't start offering the goodies until you are doing a canceling. When you threaten to cancel they may offer some small incentive, but only the retention department has the power to offer you the real goods. And don't take the first offer, hold out for a little bit.

Now, I don't know for sure how Dish Network does there retentions, but Dircetv will go the extra mile to hold customers.

I have Directv, they are a little pricey, but I have NY and LA Networks along with El Paso Locals and the MLB Package and 3 tivos. If you go with Directv, the DVR with Tivo service is the only way to go (and make sure the hook up both tuners on the DVR).

WVRed
06-13-2005, 07:33 PM
I wish I could get satellite, but because we have two NBC affiliates, one out of Huntington, and one out of Parkersburg that wont sell to cable because of money, we are stuck with cable because they are the only ones to offer local channels.

Because of that, the cable company(Charter) dominates. :thumbdown

GoReds
06-14-2005, 09:04 AM
TD - you might want to check the laws. If I'm not mistaken, an apartment complex cannot prevent you from installing Dish or Directv provided that your apartment has an opening to the south and the installation can be done without damaging the apartment (ie. not a permanent fixture).

Q: If I live in a condominium or an apartment building, does this rule apply to me?

A: The rule applies to viewers who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the viewer has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule.

The full article is here. (http://www.myrateplan.com/sat/condos.php)

TeamDunn
06-14-2005, 09:12 AM
I remember them saying something about not messing with the look of the building.

I'm checking with them again though just in case! :)

Since it is rental property I thought they could make up their own rules? Condo complexes discourage them, for whatever reason it seems to be the 60 and over crowd that does not want them on the condo decks. :rolleyes:

TeamDunn
06-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I was posting as you were editing...going to read your article.

Thanks!

GoReds
06-14-2005, 09:14 AM
TD - see my edit above. I had the same issue with our apartment complex until this was passed.

The previous restriction for dishes was based on the big satellite dishes. Although condos may not "want" them there, they really don't have much of a choice.

TRF
06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Dish does have more local channels currently, i believe. which is the only reason i haven't switched.

Joseph
06-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Logan, I switched from Dish to Direct a couple years ago. They are notorious for doing exactly as you described, trying to screw you over until you say you are thinking of switching, then things get suddenly cheaper. The final straw for me was the blow up with Viacom. They blamed Viacom, but the more and more info I dug up all signs indicated it was DishNetwork and not as much Viacom at fault.

Anyway, I have DirecTV now, and I've never had any real service problems. The only problem I have had is a splitter issue when I tried to move a reciever from the den to the bedroom, and I don't think that's entirely their fault. I'm lucky enough to get Fox-CIN, so I didn't buy EI, and I have no real complaints with them at all. I won't snow you under and say they don't give you that stupid 1$ increase every 10 months or a year like Dish did because they do, but they are far more easy to work with than Dish.

Heath
06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I've been a Dish Network subscriber now for 3 years and have had about 40 minutes of no services. Even in the worst of storms, I've been able to get the service.

My only complaint is that I want a DVR, but since I've been a subscriber, they won't swap it out unless they get $150.

I also get MLB EI - and I live in Dayton to get Reds games. Sorry, just a baseball nut I guess.

The reason I don't get Directv - I don't want the temptation of getting the NFL package..my wife doesn't need to be a baseball AND football widow.... :thumbup: :laugh: :dancingco