PDA

View Full Version : Prank Against Tom Cruise Leads to Arrest

savafan
06-20-2005, 12:44 PM
http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newsstory.asp?cat=news&referrer=welcome&id=20050620/42b63f40_3ca6_1552620050620507248475

LONDON - The London premiere of "War of the Worlds" turned into a war of words after Tom Cruise was squirted in the face by a man posing as a reporter.

Four men were released on bail after being arrested and were ordered to return to a police station Monday.

The actor was outside a movie theater in central London's Leicester Square on Sunday doing press interviews when a man squirted him with a water pistol disguised as a microphone, London's Metropolitan Police said.

Cruise initially appeared to laugh at the incident but then asked the prankster: "Why would you do that?"

As the man gave a barely audible excuse, Cruise said: "Do you like thinking less of people, is that it?" The prankster tried to walk away but Cruise reached across the metal barrier, held his arm and said: "Don't run away. That's incredibly rude. I'm here giving you an interview and you do that ... it's incredibly rude."

The actor grew increasingly irritated and told the man: "You're a jerk." Footage of the incident appeared on Sky News TV on Monday.

Police detained the man who squirted Cruise and arrested three other men who filmed the incident. The four were working on a new comedy show for British television station Channel 4 in which celebrities are the targets of practical jokes.

Police released the men on bail several hours later and ordered them to return to a central London police station on Monday, when they may be charged with assault, the police spokesman said.

Actress Katie Holmes, who recently got engaged to Cruise, was at the premiere but not by his side at the time of the incident.

Steve4192
06-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Drama Queen

wheels
06-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Tom's got "Little Man's Disease".

zombie-a-go-go
06-20-2005, 01:41 PM
That's swanky.

Prankster squirts Tom with water-gun.

Tom reaches "across the metal barrier, held his arm..."

Prankster charged with assault.

I'm all confused.

Johnny Footstool
06-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm surprised Cruise didn't use his Scientology skills to conjure up some sort of alien LifeSpirit Constrictor and sic it on the man.

TeamCasey
06-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I can't imagine what lunatics celebrities and athletes have to deal with everyday. Think about it ..... these people can't even go to a store or coffee shop without being mobbed by fans, weirdos or paparazzi.

A nutball might have had something other than water in the thing.

RedsBaron
06-20-2005, 02:02 PM
I can't imagine what lunatics celebrities and athletes have to deal with everyday. Think about it ..... these people can't even go to a store or coffee shop without being mobbed by fans, weirdos or paparazzi.

A nutball might have had something other than water in the thing.
I agree. I am very tired of the jerks who squirt water or throw pies at celebrities. Such antics are not funny or imaginative or justified or right.
I don't worship any celebrities, athletes or political figures, but they deserve to be treated with decency just like anyone else.

zombie-a-go-go
06-20-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm surprised Cruise didn't use his Scientology skills to conjure up some sort of alien LifeSpirit Constrictor and sic it on the man.

Dude, Tom's already exorcized his Body Thetans. *cackle*

Dom Heffner
06-20-2005, 02:21 PM
Tom Cruise handled himself with grace and dignity, and he deserves to be commended for his behavior. Russell Crowe would have hit the guy.

If you are kind enough to give an interview, especially to people who obviously don't even meet the requirement, then you deserve to be treated with respect.

As well, in this day and age, Cruise has no idea with what he is being squirted at the time. It could be urine or anything else some jerk puts together.

I applaud Cruise for talking to the guy with more repsect than he deserves.

Sweetstop
06-20-2005, 03:10 PM
A prank for a new comedy show, eh? :rolleyes: It's amazing what some people consider amusing these days.

Steve4192
06-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Russell Crowe would have hit the guy.
I am soooo looking forward to the day that Russell Crowe get's Punk'd. Nothing would bring me more pleasure than seeing Crowe beat the holy crap out of Ashton Kutcher.

Blimpie
06-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Cruise initially appeared to laugh at the incident but then asked the prankster: "Why would you do that?"

As the man gave a barely audible excuse, Cruise said: "Do you like thinking less of people, is that it?" The prankster tried to walk away but Cruise reached across the metal barrier, held his arm and said: "Don't run away. That's incredibly rude. I'm here giving you an interview and you do that ... it's incredibly rude."

The actor grew increasingly irritated and told the man: "You're a jerk." Footage of the incident appeared on Sky News TV on Monday.Sounds about like a typical reaction from the highly evolved, uber-brain of Tom Cruise...

Brain Checklist:

1) Issue fake smile as knee-jerk response to any given stimuli
2) Once gums dry out, compute surroundings and determine that cheesy smile was not an appropriate response to stimuli
3) Over-compensate with "tough guy" reaction to stimuli to attone for premature cheesiness
4) Smile at camera at mention that War of the Worlds hits theatres in nine days

creek14
06-20-2005, 05:20 PM
I am soooo looking forward to the day that Russell Crowe get's Punk'd. Nothing would bring me more pleasure than seeing Crowe beat the holy crap out of Ashton Kutcher.
I'm so looking forward to the day when people get over celebs and celebs get over themselves.

I just don't get it.

Oh sure, I have the Adam shrine and all, but if he walked up to me and said "hey creek, ya want me autograph?" I'd say "no, why would I?"

Back when I dated a hockey guy we use to :confused: at the autohounds. Especially the 16 - 25 year old women. What were they really after. :devil:

The Baumer
06-20-2005, 08:06 PM

L. Ron Hubbard passed before he could finish writing the chapter on the Alien LifeSpirit Contrictor.

Super_Barry11
06-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Especially the 16 - 25 year old women. What were they really after. :devil:

Hey! :eek: Well, if you really wanna know, I'm after autographs, pictures, and the occasional batting practice ball. :)

Unassisted
06-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Mostly, I appreciate that there is a Tom Cruise story to overshadow the series of publicist-fomented "relationship" stories. I'm sure that the publicists love that Tom came off looking like a "tough guy" here.

GAC
06-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Tom Cruise handled himself with grace and dignity, and he deserves to be commended for his behavior. Russell Crowe would have hit the guy.

If you are kind enough to give an interview, especially to people who obviously don't even meet the requirement, then you deserve to be treated with respect.

As well, in this day and age, Cruise has no idea with what he is being squirted at the time. It could be urine or anything else some jerk puts together.

Amen to that Dom. I saw the film footage last night. Cruise handled the situation perfectly IMO. Me? I would have been over that barrier. ;)

RedFanAlways1966
06-21-2005, 11:46 AM

I agree with you, Dom (doesn't happen much, but I do). No reason to do that and esp. to a celeb in this day and age. Things are diff. today unfortunately.

savafan
06-22-2005, 05:51 AM
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/cruise%20wont%20take%20legal%20action%20against%20 pranksters

LATEST: TOM CRUISE has deciding not to press charges against the pranksters who sprayed water in his face at the London premiere of WAR OF THE WORLDS on Sunday night (19JUN05).

The newly-engaged superstar was horrified when pranksters spurted water from a fake microphone in his face, at the star-studded red carpet event - but his spokesperson told US TV show ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT that Cruise will not pursue the matter.

After the incident, the premiere events continued as usual and the man who squirted Cruise, along with three of his fellow crew members, was taken into custody by authorities.

They were released several hours later on bail, according to police, and ordered to return next month (JUL05) to face possible charges.
21/06/2005 21:36

Dom Heffner
06-22-2005, 09:02 AM
Another great move by Cruise. Now the way he handles the scientology stuff is another matter. ;)

WVRed
06-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Another great move by Cruise. Now the way he handles the scientology stuff is another matter. ;)

Agreed, especially now that he has drug Katie Holmes in with him. :help:

Larkin411
06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Back when I dated a hockey guy we use to :confused: at the autohounds. Especially the 16 - 25 year old women. What were they really after. :devil:

See I think that's why I don't ask players for stuff like that even though maybe I'd want to do so. I'd get self-conscious about people thinking that I wanted to get in their pants or something. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine that guys think girls are just after that as opposed to sharing the same motives that drive men and kids to pursue autographs and pictures.

Sidenote, the one autograph I do have is Rufus Wainwright's. He's gay so I figured if I asked him to sign my jeans(no place bad :) ) it wouldn't seem like a come-on and then I'd have jeans that reminded me of a great concert and a great night out with friends.

Steve4192
06-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Agreed, especially now that he has drug Katie Holmes in with him. :help:
Found this little snippet while surfing the web.

http://www.radaronline.com/fresh-intelligence/2005/06/17/index.php#001291

Cruise Encounters of the Third kind

Katie Holmes may have fallen for it, but Tom Cruise’s sci-fi seduction technique scared the bejeezus out of Scarlett Johansson, a source close to the actress says. Weeks before he began wooing his brainwashed bride-to-be, Cruise made repeated phone calls to the 19-year-old starlet—who was then set to co-star with him in Mission Impossible III—imploring her to meet him at the Scientology Celebrity Center in L.A. But when the actress finally agreed, the supposedly professional get-together took an oddly spiritual turn. “[Cruise] took me into this room, which was stifling hot, and was showing me all kinds of info about joining the church,” Johansson told our source. “The whole time he didn’t even offer me a cookie!” Instead, he offered her dinner—and a glimpse into the Twilight Zone.

After two hours of proselytizing, our source says Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level Scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ingenue politely excused herself. Soon after the meeting, Johansson dropped out of Mission Impossible III, reportedly due to scheduling conflicts. Asked about the incident, Johansson’s momager, Melanie Johansson, referred Radar to a publicist, who did not return calls or emails seeking comment. After striking out with Johansson, Cruise reportedly turned his attentions to 24-year-old Jessica Alba, 22-year-old Kate Bosworth, and 18-year-old Lindsay Lohan, before settling on the 26-year-old Holmes. As far we know, Cruise’s War of the Worlds co-star, Dakota Fanning, was never under consideration.

savafan
06-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Found this little snippet while surfing the web.

http://www.radaronline.com/fresh-intelligence/2005/06/17/index.php#001291

Cruise Encounters of the Third kind

Katie Holmes may have fallen for it, but Tom Cruise’s sci-fi seduction technique scared the bejeezus out of Scarlett Johansson, a source close to the actress says. Weeks before he began wooing his brainwashed bride-to-be, Cruise made repeated phone calls to the 19-year-old starlet—who was then set to co-star with him in Mission Impossible III—imploring her to meet him at the Scientology Celebrity Center in L.A. But when the actress finally agreed, the supposedly professional get-together took an oddly spiritual turn. “[Cruise] took me into this room, which was stifling hot, and was showing me all kinds of info about joining the church,” Johansson told our source. “The whole time he didn’t even offer me a cookie!” Instead, he offered her dinner—and a glimpse into the Twilight Zone.

After two hours of proselytizing, our source says Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level Scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ingenue politely excused herself. Soon after the meeting, Johansson dropped out of Mission Impossible III, reportedly due to scheduling conflicts. Asked about the incident, Johansson’s momager, Melanie Johansson, referred Radar to a publicist, who did not return calls or emails seeking comment. After striking out with Johansson, Cruise reportedly turned his attentions to 24-year-old Jessica Alba, 22-year-old Kate Bosworth, and 18-year-old Lindsay Lohan, before settling on the 26-year-old Holmes. As far we know, Cruise’s War of the Worlds co-star, Dakota Fanning, was never under consideration.

If true, that's uber-creepy :eek:

zombie-a-go-go
06-23-2005, 01:16 PM
Tom Cruise Must be Stopped!!! :D

No, this isn't really funny, though. The Cult of Scientology is some scary stuff. People have died trying to get out.

Blimpie
06-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Another great move by Cruise. Now the way he handles the scientology stuff is another matter. ;)So, I guess...then...what you are saying is that Tom Cruise has "All the Right Moves" then, huh?

"You're not god, Nickerson. You're just a typing teacher" :D

Chip R
06-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Does anyone else think that this was a put-up job to give Cruise more publicity? He's been getting an awful lot of it lately - both positive and negative - but I have a suspicion that this "attack" was planned by Cruise and his publicist(s).

savafan
06-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Does anyone else think that this was a put-up job to give Cruise more publicity? He's been getting an awful lot of it lately - both positive and negative - but I have a suspicion that this "attack" was planned by Cruise and his publicist(s).

Hmmm....could be, it does seem plausible.

Steve4192
06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
I don't think so.

The same TV show has been playing pranks on celebs in London for about a month now. Sharon Osbourne got the 'squirting microphone' treatment a few weeks earlier. Of course, Sharon being Sharon, she joined in the gag and drenched the cameraman with a handy champagne bucket full of icewater.

link: http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/06/20/story207925.html

Dom Heffner
06-23-2005, 02:31 PM
So, I guess...then...what you are saying is that Tom Cruise has "All the Right Moves" then, huh?

He has almost all the right moves. I think he handled the prank very well, but I'm surprised Hollywood doesn't call him out on Scientology's belief about homosexuality (I added the bold):

From L. Ron Hubbard's Dianetics:

The sexual pervert (and by this term Dianetics, to be brief, includes any and all forms of deviation . . . such as homosexuality, lesbianism . . .) is actually quite ill physically. . . . He is also so far from normal and so extremely dangerous to society that the tolerance of perversion is as thoroughly bad for society as punishment for it.

To make a pervert is, rather, something on the order of kicking a baby's head in, running over him with a steamroller, cutting him in half with a rusty knife, boiling him in Lysol, and all the while with crazy people screaming the most horrifying and unprintable things at him.

Not as bad as the concept of hell, but at least the Bible has the decency to be cordial about it.

Steve4192
06-24-2005, 11:17 AM
More wacky Tom & Katie scientology fun:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160192,00.html

Katie Holmes' Missing Days
Tuesday, June 21, 2005
By Roger Friedman

The newly engaged Katie Holmes still has some explaining to do to her friends and family.

There were 16 days in April during which no one seems to know where she was.

Holmes made a public appearance on April 4 at the premiere of "Steel Magnolias" on Broadway.

She came with her publicist, Leslie Sloane Zelnick, and a couple of other friends. They were there to support Rebecca Gayheart, who was making her Broadway debut.

I know this because I spoke to Holmes at length during the play's intermission. She said she had just moved into her New York apartment and was looking forward to seeing the city.

I also know that on April 4, she had not yet made the acquaintance of Tom Cruise. She briefly dated Josh Hartnett after breaking up with actor Chris Klein.

Hartnett, Klein, Cruise: Which of these three is not like the others?

Klein and Hartnett are young and tall. Cruise is middle-aged and height-challenged.

On the other hand, he's the biggest movie star in the world. They are not.

Holmes was busy during that first week in April. On April 7, she was photographed at the Fragrance Foundation's FiFi event.

Four days later, Holmes was still in New York and was photographed at VH1's "Save the Music" concert. She still had not met Cruise.

Sometime that week, her friends say, she flew to Los Angeles for a meeting with Cruise about a role in "Mission: Impossible 3." The meeting took place after April 11.

The next time anyone heard from Holmes was on April 27, when she appeared in public as Cruise's girlfriend and love of his life.

Where was she during those 16 days?

Somewhere during that time, she decided to fire both her manager and agent, each of whom she had been with for years and who were devoted to her.

The manager, John Carrabino, also handles Renée Zellweger and is beloved by his clients.

Holmes also acquired a new best friend, Jessica Feshbach, the daughter of Joe Feshbach, a controversial Palo Alto, Calif., bond trader.

The Feshbach family, according to published documents, has donated millions to the Church of Scientology. Jessica's aunt even runs a Scientology center in Florida.

According to Richard Behar's now famous 1991 story in Time magazine about Scientology, the Feshbachs were the subject of congressional hearings in 1989.

Behar wrote: "The heads of several companies claimed that Feshbach operatives have spread false information to government agencies and posed in various guises — such as a Securities and Exchange Commission official — in an effort to discredit the companies and drive the stocks down.

"Michael Russell, who ran a chain of business journals, testified that a Feshbach employee called his bankers and interfered with his loans. Sometimes the Feshbachs send private detectives to dig up dirt on firms, which is then shared with business reporters, brokers and fund managers."

The risk-taking Feshbachs, known the world over for making their fortune "shorting" stocks, and the level-headed, conservative Holmeses would be a difficult mix at a dinner table.

Katie's father, Martin Holmes, is the senior partner in a large and respected Toledo, Ohio, law firm. His son, Martin Jr., has recently joined the firm. He's a Harvard graduate. Katie's mom, Kathy, is frequently cited in Toledo for her charity work.

There is some fear among Holmes' close circle that her instant romance with Cruise is not as organic as portrayed.

For one thing, Holmes was raised a strict Catholic. Also, gone from the picture are two close Holmes friends who used to be with her when she did publicity for a film.

One of these is Meghann Birie, a childhood friend who has suddenly disappeared from Holmes' world. Another, a local TV producer here in New York, was too afraid to discuss the situation with me.

We know that Cruise auditioned several actresses for this role before settling on Holmes. This column reported a story about Jennifer Garner. There have been published stories about Kate Bosworth, Lindsay Lohan and Jessica Alba being approached.

A newer one involves Scarlett Johansson, who ran for her life when presented with a fait accompli dinner at the Scientology Celebrity Centre in Hollywood.

And history has been rewritten since the April 27 unveiling.

Curiously, since the Cruise-Holmes situation popped up, we have heard over and over again that Cruise was the young actress' idol when she was growing up.

That's certainly interesting because all of the publicity that used to run on Holmes — still found all over the Internet — lists another Tom as her favorite actor.

That would be Tom Hanks.

savafan
06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
This whole relationship sure is creating a lot of bad press for Scientology, isn't it?

zombie-a-go-go
06-24-2005, 11:46 AM
This whole relationship sure is creating a lot of bad press for Scientology, isn't it?

Good.

BTW, Cunningham's going to have a CoS guy on WLW at 1 today, if anyone cares to listen.

“Scientology’s may be the most debilitating set of rituals of any cult in America.”
- Flo Conway and Jim Siegelman, “Information Disease,” SCIENCE DIGEST, January 1982

savafan
06-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Good.

BTW, Cunningham's going to have a CoS guy on WLW at 1 today, if anyone cares to listen.

Heard part of it in the car. That guy sounded kinda femmie.

zombie-a-go-go
06-24-2005, 04:02 PM
Heard part of it in the car. That guy sounded kinda femmie.

:lol: Yeah, it was a woman, I think.

She dodged the Xemu question.