PDA

View Full Version : Spin's top ten albumbs of last 20 years.

pedro
06-20-2005, 04:39 PM
1. "OK Computer," Radiohead
2. "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back," Public Enemy
3. "Nevermind," Nirvana
4. "Slanted and Enchanted," Pavement
5. "The Queen Is Dead," Smiths
6. "Surfer Rosa," PIxies
7. "3 Feet High and Rising," De La Soul
8. "Sign 'O' the Times," Prince
9. "Rid of Me," PJ Harvey
10. "Straight Outta Compton," N.W.A

I have 8 of them, or at least did at one time.

Jaycint
06-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Not a bad list, never heard of Pavement but the rest are all great albums IMO.

Red Leader
06-20-2005, 04:46 PM
I have almost all of them. Don't have Pavement or the Pixies, so I'm 8 out of 10 as well.

..and I wouldn't put "Sign 'O' the Times" or 3 Feet High and Rising on this list, I like them, but they're not that good.

The first time I ever heard Ok Computer, I knew it would be one of my favorites for a long, long time. I still listen to it about once a week, although to be honest, I still like "The Bends" a little better, and that would be #1 on my list.

westofyou
06-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Not a bad list, never heard of Pavement but the rest are all great albums IMO.

Best band of the 90's in my humble opinion.

LincolnparkRed
06-20-2005, 04:53 PM
I actually only own 2 of them but I think De La Soul would have to be on there b/c rap was all gansta this and gansta that and they were one of the first rappers other than Run DMC to not write all there songs about slapping hoes. Now where does 2 live crew fit b/c they were part of the trend that got parental advisories stamped on records? They were never great musically but they were influential and very popular at one time.

registerthis
06-20-2005, 04:54 PM
nah, that title goes to the Catherine Wheel.

Although Pavement were very good.

Redsland
06-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Where's Hootie?

Where's Tool?

What about the Baha Men?

"Best"? Please.

;)

Joseph
06-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Ok, we're saying here since 1985 this is the best 10 albums to come out. I own 6 of the 10, and aside from Nevermind I wouldn't put any of the others on such a list. 'Rid of Me' is a great record, De La Soul was wonderful, and I love most everything Prince puts out, but I don't think they belong on a list. Sometimes I think magazines like Spin try to be different just for the sake of doing so. And honestly, the Smiths making a list of best anything is just insanity. Now I'm not saying a lot of those aren't good albums, I just think they aren't top 10 material.

Just saying.

LincolnparkRed
06-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I thought Baha Men didn't come out until summer 2000? But man was that an annoying song when it was popular

westofyou
06-20-2005, 05:09 PM
And honestly, the Smiths making a list of best anything is just insanity.

But Johnny Marr rocks.

pedro
06-20-2005, 05:12 PM
I think "stakes is High" is by far the best De La Soul Album, followed by "De La Soul is Dead"

Joseph
06-20-2005, 05:12 PM
But Johnny Marr rocks.

I have no overwhelming opinion of him, it's Morrissey that I can't stand.

registerthis
06-20-2005, 05:18 PM
And honestly, the Smiths making a list of best anything is just insanity.
Surely you're joking.

99% of bands today couldn't come close to Morrissey and Marr. "the Queen is Dead" is their finest hour but, really, you can't go wrong with anything of their's.

Undoubtedly one of the greatest bands of the past 20 years. Their influence has been enormous.

registerthis
06-20-2005, 05:19 PM
But Johnny Marr rocks.
WoY...do you have any of Johnny's work with Electronic or The The?

If you're a Johnny fan I highly recommend "Dusk" by The The and "Twisted tenderness" by Electronic. Both amazing records...

Joseph
06-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Surely you're joking.

Not even a little. And it's not the type of music, just happens to be the Smiths. I love the Cure, Bauhaus, and 'similar' bands just hate Morrissey and by association, The Smiths.

registerthis
06-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Not even a little. And it's not the type of music, just happens to be the Smiths. I love the Cure, Bauhaus, and 'similar' bands just hate Morrissey and by association, The Smiths.
fair enough.

Robert Smith gets on my nerves, but musically i don't mind the Cure.

the Smiths just sounded so different to everything else at that time. They really paved the way for many of the alt bands that came up in the 90s and, to an extent, today.

redsfanmia
06-20-2005, 06:00 PM
I have almost all of them. Don't have Pavement or the Pixies, so I'm 8 out of 10 as well.

..and I wouldn't put "Sign 'O' the Times" or 3 Feet High and Rising on this list, I like them, but they're not that good.

The first time I ever heard Ok Computer, I knew it would be one of my favorites for a long, long time. I still listen to it about once a week, although to be honest, I still like "The Bends" a little better, and that would be #1 on my list.
I like Ok Computer but I agree with you The Bends is a great disc, I still listen to it weekly and its still fresh to me. I love the way Thom Yorke's voice melds with the music, the whole disc is fantastic.

RBA
06-20-2005, 06:04 PM
You know you are old when you know more contestants on American Idol than that list of Albums. ;)

Edit? What's an album? Is that like a CD? ;)

Redsland
06-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Redsland's top twenty albums of the last 20 years:

Each band and/or member is limited one appearance on the list. No compilations, live albums, or reissues.

Alphabetic by artist:

Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
The Cure - Disintegration
Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
Green Day - Dookie
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of
Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Automatic
Jesus Jones - Perverse
Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Public Enemy - Apocalypse 91
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
10,000 Maniacs - In My Tribe
U2 - The Joshua Tree

:rockband:

Redsland
06-20-2005, 06:25 PM
WoY...do you have any of Johnny's work with Electronic or The The?

If you're a Johnny fan I highly recommend "Dusk" by The The and "Twisted tenderness" by Electronic. Both amazing records...
I've got all of his work with Electronic, including an old bootleg of "Twisted Tenderness" from back when it was only available as a Japanese import. Electronic is amazing.

The The, OTOH, I could never get into.

Betterread
06-20-2005, 10:13 PM
This list is suspect:
Pavement and the Pixies but no Sonic Youth or Yo La Tengo?
PJ Harvey but no Nick Cave?
Dela Soul but no Eric B and Rakim?
All the examples provided are more creative and disciplined proponents of the same pop-music idiom. I am not even getting into whether this list represents examples of the most fertile idioms.

zombie-a-go-go
06-21-2005, 07:00 AM
Zombie :luvu: some Nick Cave, baby.

I'd definitely take The Boatman's Call over Rid of Me.

And I never really cared for Pavement, really.

The rest of the list.... *shrug*

Betterread
06-21-2005, 08:59 AM
He mines a stylistic vein so rich with history and meaning and his narratives and perspectives are so well thought out. He is a fantastic song-writer and performer.
Boatman's call - a good batch of "mature" Nick songs.
How about the Birthday Party's "Junkyard" - or,
early Nick - "Your funeral, my trial" or "The firstborn is dead".

Johnny Footstool
06-21-2005, 09:53 AM
My faves in no order. Best song in parentheses.

Pixies - Surfer Rosa (Gigantic)
Nirvana - Nevermind (Smells Like Teen Spirit)
Pearl Jam - Ten (Black)
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill (The New Style)
U2- The Joshua Tree (With or Without You)
Soul Coughing - El Oso (St. Louise is Listening)
Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen (Gentlemen)
Chris Whitley - Living with the Law (Dust Radio)
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (Snail)

and who can forget the 1987 classic...

Guns 'N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (It's So Easy)

Stewie
06-21-2005, 09:55 AM

I agree, although I personally think that Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was better than Slanted and Enchanted.

I'm not big on SPIN, or these types of lists in general. THis list just sort of seems like a lot of "safe" picks to me, like De La Soul and PJ Harvey. There's a lot of albums released that I think are better than some of these (Portishead's Dummy for example is never mentioned on these lists, yet was an absolutely fantastic album IMO), but whatever. I mean, this list isn't horrible, it's not like Oops, I did it Again is on the list, but it could have been better.

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

Not to sound like too much of a nerd, but My Aim is True came out in 1977.

westofyou
06-21-2005, 09:59 AM
I agree, although I personally think that Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was better than Slanted and Enchanted.

Without a doubt... CR/CR is the best IMO too... have you picked up the remasterd version with the live set yet?

Register, I like Mar in almost anything, The The more than Electronic.

zombie-a-go-go
06-21-2005, 10:07 AM
He mines a stylistic vein so rich with history and meaning and his narratives and perspectives are so well thought out. He is a fantastic song-writer and performer.
Boatman's call - a good batch of "mature" Nick songs.
How about the Birthday Party's "Junkyard" - or,
early Nick - "Your funeral, my trial" or "The firstborn is dead".

I'll take anything but Nocturama. :laugh: I think I listened to that album all of twice before shoving it in the closet somewhere.

Oh yeah, and I wasn't too impressed with Kicking Against the Pricks, either. But that's not surprising.

Redsland
06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Not to sound like too much of a nerd, but My Aim is True came out in 1977.
Dammit. Good catch.

It's amazing how many great albums came out between 77 and 84. It was painful to have to redline some of them. The Clash. The Police. The Pretenders. Rush. The Who. Obviously one slipped through. :bang: Sorry. :thumbup:

Mutaman
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Except for Rid of Me and Nevermind (and maybe the Pixies), its a pretty sad comment on the last 20 years.

Stewie
06-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Without a doubt... CR/CR is the best IMO too... have you picked up the remasterd version with the live set yet?

Yes, I finally got around to buying the remasted versions of CR/CR and S&E not too long ago, although I have only listened to each of the 2nd discs a couple of times. Still quite good, though, from the few times I have listened to them.

Mutaman
06-21-2005, 03:35 PM
I guess if there's a hint of twang on an album, that automatically disqualifies it:

Guitar Town - Steve Earle
Heartbreaker- Ryan Adams
Car Wheels on a gravel Road- Lucinda Williams
Love and Theft- Dylan
Buenas Noches from a Lonely Room- Dwight Yoakam

CrackerJack
06-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Hmm, can't agree with that list much but then again i'm biased against pop music in general, although I realize "Spin" is some sort of alternative something-or-other music rag.

"Surfer Rosa" should've been replaced with "Doolittle" for the Pixies (a much more popular and widely recognized CD than Rosa).

Public Enemy and NWA? Uh, ok.

No U2 Joshua Tree? Crime. (this list goes back to '85 right?) No Achtung Baby either eh? (the last great U2 CD)

Radiohead = zzzzzz (never really understood their appeal unless you have clinical depression and are ok with it) :)

No Jesus & Mary Chain? No Ride? No Doves? No Interpol? No The Ocean Blue? :)

Ok I guess I'm just in my own little world...

KronoRed
06-21-2005, 03:41 PM
"Surfer Rosa" should've been replaced with "Doolittle" for the Pixies (a much more popular and widely recognized CD than Rosa).

Yes it's more popular but IMO it's a weaker album, Surfer Rosa is a good one from start to finish, Doolittle gets bogged down in bad songs near the end.

IMO of course :D

Mutaman
06-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Straight Outta Compton- N.W.A

"It's not about a salary/It's all about reality".

Yeah, right. Give me a break. Can't say this has stood the test of time.

zombie-a-go-go
06-21-2005, 03:48 PM
I hardly think the Doves or Interpol are going to be recognized in any "last 20 years" list, save those compiled by people who aren't 20 years old yet.

And I like Interpol. Ambivalent toward the Doves.

Mutaman
06-21-2005, 03:51 PM
"OK Computer," Radiohead

When Duke Ellington said "Theres only two kinds of music- good music and bad music" ( meaning he would be openminded and not get hung up by labels and genres), he obviously had never heard "art rock".

Puffy
06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
The list lost me when no Appetite for Destruction was on it.

westofyou
06-21-2005, 03:58 PM
he obviously had never heard "art rock".

"We've got to get in to get out
We've got to get in to get out
We've got to get in to get out"

Johnny Footstool
06-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Yep. They included rap, but no metal.

pedro
06-21-2005, 04:44 PM
yeah, where's that "operation mindcrime"?

Actually I'm wondering where "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" is.

westofyou
06-21-2005, 04:45 PM

Ya know why?

Four words

Get in the Ring.

Johnny Footstool
06-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Get in the Ring.

Very good point.

Falls City Beer
06-21-2005, 05:10 PM
This list is silly: they picked some decent bands, but they missed their best albums:

Pixies--"Doolittle" is the masterpiece--Frank, is that you Brian Wilson?

Pavement--"Wowee Zowee"--this generation's White Album (I actually secretly enjoy it better than the White Album--so sloppy, subtle, textured, manic, tortuous, involuted, byzantine, stupid it would make Robert Lowell blush). IMO, easily the best album of the last twenty.

REM--Reconstruction of the Fables--yeah, they're declasse right now, and many of their albums haven't aged well, but nothing on earth in 1985 sounded like "Feeling Gravity's Pull." And that should count for something.

Slint--Spiderland--they suffer from "The Exorcist" syndrome--legions of awful copycats; maybe that should be held against them.

Sonic Youth--Daydream Nation--nothing in 1988 sounded like this album, either. The reason I bought an electric guitar.

I would include Echo and the Bunnymen's "Ocean Rain" but it came out in 1984, so....

Though I never totally bought into the Nirvana hype, "In Utero" is a MUCH better album than "Nevermind." At least he was ripping off John Lennon.

pedro
06-21-2005, 05:14 PM
FCB, I'm with you on the REM.

I can't argue about Wowee Zowee.

I'm a big fan of Frank Black's "Teenager of the Year" too

guttle11
06-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Im not the biggest Rap fan, but any list on the last 20 years that doesnt include Nas' illmatic is a sham. The lyrics are unbelieveable.

And for god's sake, where are the SPICE GIRLS!!! :runaway:

Puffy
06-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Ya know why?

Four words

Get in the Ring.

Get in the Ring was on Use Your Illusion.

Appetite had Sweet Child of Mine, My Michelle, Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone.

westofyou
06-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Get in the Ring was on Use Your Illusion.

And was a direct slap on Bob Guccioni Jr.

Founder/Editor of Spin

Newport Red
06-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Asylum Bassist Dies By Charlie Amter
1 hour, 42 minutes ago

Soul Asylum cofounder Karl Mueller is, in the words of one of his songs, "Closer to the Stars."

The bassist for the hit-making alt-rock band died Friday in Minneapolis after a long battle with throat cancer. He was 41.

According to Mueller's longtime friend (and former Jayhawks manager) Maggie Macpherson, Mueller was due to have surgery Monday.

Mueller had been fighting the cancer since the spring of 2004, prompting Soul Asylum, with Mueller, and fellow Minneapolis rock legends Hüsker Dü to regroup for a special October benefit concert.

Mueller, along with frontman Dave Pirner, founded Soul Asylum in 1984. The band was a critically respected staple of college radio throughout the 1980s, and went on to platinum-selling success after the songs "Runaway Train" and "Somebody to Shove" off Grave Dancers Union went into heavy rotation on MTV during the grunge era.

Per the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Soul Asylum guitarist Dan Murphy, as well as members of the Jayhawks and Babes in Toyland joined Mueller at his home Friday for a bedside vigil.

Soul Asylum finished a number of new songs recently, which, the Tribune says, are currently being shopped to major labels for an early 2006 release. It will be the band's first new offering since 1998's Candy from a Stranger.

Funeral arrangements are set for Wednesday in Minneapolis.

Mueller is survived by his wife, Mary Beth, and his mother, Mary.

macro
06-21-2005, 11:35 PM
And for god's sake, where are the SPICE GIRLS!!! :runaway:

I don't believe this. I scrolled through three pages of this thread in eager anticipation of making a Spice Girls joke, and lo and behold, you beat me to it!

:lol:

CrackerJack
06-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm a big fan of Frank Black's "Teenager of the Year" too

Good 'un, as are most of his solo Cd's IMO, especially the Catholics stuff...if you ever get a chance to see them live, make time! Great stuff, Frank is a sorely underrated musician and song writer.

Puffy
06-22-2005, 12:27 PM
And was a direct slap on Bob Guccioni Jr.

Founder/Editor of Spin

Ah yes - excellent point.

CrackerJack
06-22-2005, 12:34 PM
I hardly think the Doves or Interpol are going to be recognized in any "last 20 years" list, save those compiled by people who aren't 20 years old yet.

I was honestly joking, they would be on "my" top 10/20 list of the last 10-20 years, but as I eluded to that's just me...I would include Camper Van Beethoven's "Key Lime Pie" or "Beloved Revolutionary" as well, in addition to "Lost Souls" by the Doves, Interpol's TOTBL's, REM's "Document," and Jesus and Mary Chain's "Automatic."

:)

registerthis
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Interpol won't make any best-of lists because their music--though I like it-is too derivative. ((And, I've seen 'em twice now, so yes I'm a fan... :) )

Now Doves, on the other hand...very, very GOOD band. Saw them last month, and they were ace. I think either "Lost Souls" or "The Last Broadcast" could be included, particularly "Broadcast". But both are superb.

westofyou
06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
"Beloved Revolutionary"

That's in mine.. as is "Tim" by the Replacements, May I sing with Me - Yo La Tengo, Archers of Loaf, Icky Metal, Short, Sharp and Shocked - Michelle Shock, Dinosaur Jr. Green Mind, Still Feel Gone, Uncle Tupelo and Being There by Wilco.

pedro
06-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Good 'un, as are most of his solo Cd's IMO, especially the Catholics stuff...if you ever get a chance to see them live, make time! Great stuff, Frank is a sorely underrated musician and song writer.

I've seen Frank Black at least 6 times. GREAT band.