PDA

View Full Version : It's Rich A-u-r-i-l-i-a

Redskinalum02
06-22-2005, 10:55 AM
New guy climbs on soap box...

C'mon guys. I know spelling isn't necessarily a strong point on many online message boards, but I have now seen Rich Aurilia's (http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/aurilri01.shtml) name spelled more ways than I care to name.

If you are indeed a Reds fan, which most of us here claim to be, then at least figure out how to spell the freakin' ballplayers' names FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

There's a difference between typos and misspellings too....so don't even claim your fingers got ahead of you.

....climbs down.

Thank you. Rant over.

Heath
06-22-2005, 10:59 AM
better yet - use the initals "RA"

Or - use what the majority of people on this board call him.... "Mud"

:D

max venable
06-22-2005, 11:01 AM
I agree...it may be nit-picky, I admit, but come on...and it's not just Aurilia's name...I have seen:

Naron
Willy Mo
Clausen
Kiesler
Merker
Wethers
Gullet

and even Brenamen

medford
06-22-2005, 11:01 AM
or just trade him already and let it be some other boards problem.

Joseph
06-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Hopefully we can call him ex-Red soon and it won't matter.

zombie-a-go-go
06-22-2005, 11:04 AM
or just trade him already and let it be some other boards problem.

I like it.

Oh, and it's "board's" - you know, the possessive. ;) :evil:

Don't hit me.

Chip R
06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
When I first got on the internet the way people spelled - or rather misspelled - simple words really bugged me but I never lectured anyone about it. Now, it doesn't bug me so much and I still don't lecture people about it. And I don't type in all caps either. That's more annoying than people who misspell words.

Hobo
06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Well, how bout that.

Red Leader
06-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Aur we rillia going to hammer people because they can't spell a guys name that shouldn't be with the team for more than another month? I'd be willy to let it slide

Redsland
06-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Re: It's Rich A-u-r-i-l-i-a
I had no idea he used so many hyphens. My bad.

;)

cumberlandreds
06-22-2005, 11:13 AM
As long as you know who you are talking about I don't see the problem. But I guess different things irritate(SP?) everyone.

max venable
06-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Best Casy scenario is that we put on a pot of Coffee and sit down and talk about it. We should quit Beliesle-ing each other. Clausen the truth is...we're all Reds fans here.

Let him without sin cast the first Stoene. It Freeles good to get along. We don't all have to be such Machadoe men all the time.

Chip R
06-22-2005, 11:14 AM
I had no idea he used so many hyphens. My bad.

;)I thought you only had one hyphen. :evil:

Roy Tucker
06-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry. I was never good at spelling. It's on my permanent record.

RBA
06-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks, Mr Aurilia. I know how you get sensitive about things, like starting and the spelling of your name wrong. I hope Mr. Gamons doesn't spread too many rumors about you.

deltachi8
06-22-2005, 11:30 AM
How about just call him tool?

savafan
06-22-2005, 11:31 AM
As long as Linder spells it right on the paycheck, who cares? :cool:

Danny Serafini
06-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I've got to admit, this one bothers me too. I'm probably extra sensitive to it since I have a name that's short and not overly difficult, yet gets constantly garbled. I don't care about misspelled words so much since this isn't a grammar forum, but getting someone's name right is just a simple matter of respect. When Jimenez got DFA'ed, one of the first things I thought was "Well, at least I won't see his name getting butchered everyday any more." :laugh:

RedsFan75
06-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Best Casy scenario is that put on a pot of Coffee and sit down and talk about it. We should quit Beliesle-ing each other. Clausen the truth is...we're all Reds fans here.

Let him without sin cast the first Stoene. It Freeles good to get along. We don't all have to be such Machadoe men all the time.

:laugh:
Great response Max.

OldRightHander
06-22-2005, 11:49 AM
As a former English major, the general quality of grammar and spelling on the internet really drives me up the wall, but I try to ignore a lot of it. Years ago, I used to pick apart a lot of what I saw, until I figured it didn't do a bit of good. One of my big pet peeves, though, is the use of the possessive instead of a plural. Example: "There are four team's left in the playoffs." I have plenty of others, but I will refrain from ranting about grammar on a baseball message board. I am getting much better at controlling my urges to correct everything.

RBA
06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
I don't mind being corrected. I just hope I don't make the same mistake twice. I don't know why, but I get my wording jumbled up sometimes. I have to go back and edit.

Redskinalum02
06-22-2005, 02:11 PM
I wasn't trying to crucify anyone or call anyone an idiot, but I never understood how one can look at the scoreboard, box score, etc. every day and not realize they continually incorrectly spell a player's name.

Also, point taken in that he shouldn't be on the team to begin with, and I agree, but at least he has been playing better since coming back from the DL (even if he's just trying to showcase his talents to contending ballclubs) and he makes less than many overpaid players of the past (ala Pokey Reese).

smith288
06-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Or this one

Webber

Its Weber....WEBER

Chip R
06-22-2005, 02:21 PM
I wasn't trying to crucify anyone or call anyone an idiot, but I never understood how one can look at the scoreboard, box score, etc. every day and not realize they continually incorrectly spell a player's name.
And you did such a good job of it. :rolleyes:

oregonred
06-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Or this one

Webber

Its Weber....WEBER

That one is easy. Just remember that Ben Weber is like the Weber grill company. Both get lit up on a regular basis and both have one "b" in the name.

max venable
06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
That one is easy. Just remember that Ben Weber is like the Weber grill company. Both get lit up on a regular basis and both have one "b" in the name.
Very good. :laugh: I can remember that one.

vic715
06-22-2005, 03:52 PM
ritch Arallea is my favoright Reds player

MartyFan
06-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I agree most of the time spelling bothers me...I just don't call anyone out on it because most of the time it is my own spelling.

There is a reason God created spell check...me.

Sorry if I offend anyone by spelling names wrong...not that I don't care...just that I can't care.

TeamDunn
06-22-2005, 04:36 PM
It does not bother me now.

What I would hate is to be a teacher now. With "internet lingo" running wild with kids, reading that garbage would be a nightmare.

creek14
06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
I've seen Lindner (Linder) and Moseley (Mosely) messed up more here than Richie.

savafan
06-23-2005, 12:30 PM
I've seen Lindner (Linder) messed up more here than Richie.

That's the one that gets me. Everytime I read that, I think, "We're owned by the bagel guy?"

max venable
01-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I think it should be Rich Areola anyway...because he sucks :rolleyes:

KronoRed
01-10-2006, 08:35 PM
It's going to be starting 3rd baseman Rich Aurilia

marcshoe
01-11-2006, 12:33 AM
It's going to be starting 3rd baseman Rich Aurilia

Now that irritates me. :bang:

RFS62
01-11-2006, 11:02 AM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Doc. Scott
01-11-2006, 11:30 AM
My use of "Richus Aurilius" is a reference to the near-godlike ability with which Rich equates himself.