PDA

View Full Version : Remains of confederate soldiers found on site of new KC sports arena

Johnny Footstool
06-23-2005, 12:39 PM
http://www.pitch.com/Issues/current/news/feature.html

The article is 5 pages long, so I didn't copy and paste it. It is a fascinating read, though.

Basically, while excavating for the sports arena, they found the remains of 6 Confederate soldiers -- "Bartlett's Unfortunates." This makes the site of the downtown arena a historical monument and places the site under the state of Missouri's control. Several Confederate groups donated heavily to Gov. Matt Blunt's campaign, so he is pretty much in their pocket. They are insisting on a full-blown memorial for the soldiers, *including a confederate flag flying above the arena.*

My favorite quote: ""You can kiss the NBA goodbye."

westofyou
06-23-2005, 12:50 PM
We signed up in San Antone my brother Paul and me
To fight with Ben McCulloch and the Texas infantry
Well the poster said we'd get a uniform and seven bucks a week
The best rations in the army and a rifle we could keep

When I first laid eyes on the general I knew he was a fightin' man
He was every inch a soldier every word was his command
Well his eyes were cold as the lead and steel forged into tools of war
He took the lives of many and the souls of many more

Well they marched us to Missouri and we hardly stopped for rest
Then he made this speech and said we're comin' to the test
Well we've got to take Saint Louie boys before the yankees do
If we control the Mississippi then the Federals are through

Well they told us that our enemy would all be dressed in blue
They forgot about the winter's cold and the cursed fever too
My brother died at Wilson's creek and Lord I seen him fall
We fell back to the Boston Mountains in the North of Arkansas

CHORUS
Goddamn you Ben McCulloch
I hate you more than any other man alive
And when you die you'll be a foot soldier just like me
In the devil's infantry

And on the way to Fayetteville we cursed McCulloch`s name
And mourned the dead that we'd left behind and we was carrying the lame
I killed a boy the other night who'd never even shaved
I don't even know what I'm fightin' for I ain't never owned a slave

So I snuck out of camp and then I heard the news next night
The Yankees won the battle and McCulloch lost his life

RedFanAlways1966
06-23-2005, 01:13 PM
But the real question is... where is Jimmy Hoffa?!?

I imagine there are lots of Civil War remains yet to be found in our country. Interesting stuff. I'll have to read the whole thing when I get the time.

Johnny Footstool
06-23-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm sure it doesn't have as much impact unless you live in KC and know what a big deal the new arena is. I thought it was just a bizarre story that would appeal to politicos and history buffs alike.

zombie-a-go-go
06-23-2005, 01:28 PM
There are some great quotes in that article. I particularly like this one:

"I can't tell you what a remarkable turnaround that would be," says University of Missouri-Kansas City social ecologist Hayden Cruller of the Barnes memo. "You have to understand, this city has spent the last 50 years sterilizing itself from its jazz and red-light-district past like it was fumigating a pest-ridden tenement building. For it to suddenly embrace that past would be a stunning about-face. And all because six *****mongering rebel soldiers were dug up? That's poetic justice on crack is what that is."

LincolnparkRed
06-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I read the whole thing and I just have to say wow. That leader of the conferderate society is insane right? He's delusional at least to say that you want to build a memorial to the confederacy on site where 6 soldiers died that were rumored to be headed to the *****house. What great men these must have been to be murdered by pimps or hoes or both even. I have never understood the whole remember the South movement but then again I have been a Yankee all my life.

Chip R
06-23-2005, 01:42 PM
OK, I'll bite. Why are they building a new arena in KC, Johnny? I see you said something about an NBA team. Do they really think they can get an NBA team there?

westofyou
06-23-2005, 01:45 PM
OK, I'll bite. Why are they building a new arena in KC, Johnny? I see you said something about an NBA team. Do they really think they can get an NBA team there?

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/cincy/CincyRoyalslogo.gif

RedsBaron
06-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Amazing story. The Confederate group leader calls this "hallowed ground"? The six Confederate soldiers reportedly were killed by *****s after a night of whoring-that makes it "hallowed ground"???? They want a "re-enactment"? Man, I'd pay money to watch that!!!
I love the quote: "Don't vex the *****s of Kansas." I wonder if Kansas could adopt that as the new state motto. ;) (That's not an anti-Kansas slur by the way)
Look, I respect the sacrifices and dedication common soldiers on both sides of the American Civil War made. The song posted by WOY was right on point. As in most wars, it was primarily a poor man's fight. So fine-give these six dead soldiers from a 19th century war a decent reburial somewhere and get on with life in the 21st century.

Heath
06-23-2005, 02:23 PM
The rate things are going in the NBA, they might get this one:

http://www.ticketsgalore.com/nba/atlantahawkspic1.jpg

or this one:

http://www.imt.net/~joe/matt/NBA/images/clippers.gif

or this one.....

http://www.highlandmint.com/ProductPics/HornetssLogo.jpg

I also wouldn't be surprised if the way this team keeps stumbling around, that this one might be on its way out....

http://www.ticketsconcertssports.com/CavaliersLogo.gif

WOY beat me to the punch with the Cincy Royals.....but when they first moved west Kansas City had to share the renamed Kings with.......

http://www.logoserver.com/basketball/SacramentoKCOmahaKings4.GIF

Enjoy the logos...I'm sure this is a BIG NBA crowd......Andy Furman was ALWAYS trying to land the NBA in Cincinnati....

Johnny Footstool
06-23-2005, 02:58 PM

The current arena (Kemper) is basically crumbling. Plus there is a half-assed project to re-invigorate the downtown area, and some city leaders think an arena would be a centerpiece. It involves a whole lot of tax dollars being funnelled away from less important things like schools. They envisioned attracting an NBA and/or NHL team, but I doubt they could do it even without this confederate flag mess.

BTW - I think "Don't Vex the *****s of Kansas" would look a whole lot better than "Ad Astra Per Aspera" on the Kansas state flag.

I would also like to point out that this whole mess is occurring in Missouri. Ain't nothin' good ever come outta Missouri.

Roy Tucker
06-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Stormin' Norman, Nate the Skate, and Slammin' Sam.

RedsBaron
06-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Stormin' Norman, Nate the Skate, and Slammin' Sam. Harry Truman. Ken Boyer.

Heath
06-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Ignore me...i'll read better next time, I promise...

macro
06-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Speaking of arenas and the NBA, Louisville apparently hasn't given up hope on getting a franchise. The big debate right now is where to build the new arena, which as of now would be for U of L. Some want it at the present site of Freedom Hall, which is the state fairgrounds, three miles or so from downtown. Others want it on campus, while others want it downtown. The fairgrounds is by far the best for traffic and parking, but downtown is probably where it should go. If they put it on campus, the NBA will never come.

I don't even like or watch the NBA, but I'd love to see a team come, to heal the wounds of the Colonels getting screwed by their ABA brethren when they moved to the NBA in 1976. I could even become a fan, unless the team was awful and stayed that way.

Johnny Footstool
06-24-2005, 09:18 AM
I checked the news this morning for confirmation of the story, and it turns out it was a total fabrication. The Pitch, once a credible source of news, claims it was "satire." Okay, fine, it was a funny story, but they can now kiss any credibility they had goodbye.

Lampoon’s harpoons jolt officials

By DAN MARGOLIES

The Kansas City Star

It was meant to be a spoof. But this one fell flat.

An article in this week’s issue of The Pitch, which bills itself as Kansas City’s alternative news weekly, has touched off a mini-furor at City Hall and elsewhere in the community.

The cover story, “Rebel Hell,” contends that nearly two months ago workers excavating the downtown site of the new Sprint Center arena unearthed the grave sites of six Confederate soldiers. It said the discovery had put the project in doubt and had been kept from the public “while city, county and state officials wrestle with the implications for the arena project.”

The article was a hoax, but it had just enough factual elements to sound like the real deal. A Union prison existed on the arena site in the Civil War, and the arena design was, in fact, scaled back a few weeks ago.

The elaborate joke turned out to be a little too subtle — even for some sophisticated readers.

“I was completely sucked in,” said Kansas City Auditor Mark Funkhouser, who’s not known to be especially credulous. “I hate to sound so gullible.”

The editor of The Pitch, C.J. Janovy, acknowledged the article was fictitious. But she and managing editor Tony Ortega, who wrote the article under a pseudonym, were unapologetic.

“We knew exactly what we were doing and were not surprised by the reaction,” said Janovy, adding that The Pitch would explain why it did the piece in next week’s issue.

Not long after the free weekly hit the streets Wednesday — two days before today’s arena groundbreaking — City Hall started fielding calls from confused people.

City Manager Wayne Cauthen issued a news release Thursday assuring the public “that there is no truth to this story.”

Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt, who is called a “mushmouthed brat” in a concocted quote in the article, was not amused. Among other things, the article took aim at Blunt’s order to fly the Confederate flag over a state historic site on June 5 to mark Confederate Memorial Day.

Jessica Robinson, Blunt’s press secretary, said she was “extremely disappointed that a publication purporting to be a news outlet would print a satirical, fantastical article and not identify it as such.”

“The article is not only fictitious, it is also offensive,” she said. “The paper should immediately identify the article for what it is and apologize to its readers.”

The hoax, which comes amid heightened public scrutiny of media credibility nationwide, troubled one veteran academician.

“The primary purpose of journalism is to seek truth and report it,” said Ted Frederickson, who teaches media ethics and newspaper reporting at the University of Kansas. “And I’ve always been uncomfortable with things that are deliberately false being put in the paper. I think there is some room for that in opinion columns, when people are doing little parodies or satire, but I think it’s different when you offer something as a news story.”

Ortega said he was taken aback by readers’ failure to recognize the article as satire. Ortega, who penned the story under the pseudonym “Cesar Oman,” said the piece was a visceral reaction to Blunt’s order to fly the Confederate flag.

“I truly didn’t know how else to deal with our governor approving the flying of the Confederate flag over state land,” Ortega said. “I figured an editorial or column wouldn’t do it.

“I thought I had to take the concept to its logical extreme and wrap in it the silliness over the arena design, the segregated nature of Kansas City. … Clearly the main point is this Civil War mentality, which is just inexcusable in my mind.”

Assistant City Manager Rich Noll said the groundbreaking ceremony for the $250 million arena would occur as scheduled at 2 p.m. today.

“Our preference would have been for the article to state it was satirical,” Noll said. “It certainly created some stir in the building, I can guarantee you that.”

Officials with Sprint Corp., which has agreed to pay up to $2.5 million a year to have the arena called the Sprint Center, were especially bewildered because, whether by chance or design, a Sprint ad ran opposite the first page of the article.

Sprint executive Bill White said he read the story Wednesday and “didn’t know what the hell it was about.” Gradually, he said, it dawned on him that the article was a spoof.

“The quotes became more and more bizarre, and I didn’t recognize the reporter’s name. I said, ‘This can’t be real.’ ”

Sprint spokeswoman Jennifer Bosshardt said the company would continue its media buys with the publication.

“But we do think it is irresponsible for The Pitch to bring attention to itself through such an egregious hoax, particularly at a time when our community is coming together and celebrating the revitalization of our urban core,” she said.

Although the four-page article reads like a straight news story, sprinkled throughout are hints that it’s fictitious. For example, the story quotes one Fletcher Gray, said to be a history professor at the University of Kansas and author of a “seminal” monograph about the Civil War, Rebel, Rebel, Your Face Is a Mess: Hygiene in the Armies of the West, 1861-1865.

Part of the title comes from the lyrics to a David Bowie song, “Rebel Rebel.” And there is no history professor named Fletcher Gray — as in Rebel gray — at KU.

“Maybe I should have referred to him as Professor Jayhawker,” Ortega said. “I thought we put in enough ‘tells’ to give it away, but maybe it was too subtle.”

The Pitch is owned by New Times Inc. of Phoenix. Ortega said other New Times publications had run similar satirical pieces. Several years ago a judge and prosecutor sued the Dallas Observer, a New Times publication, over a fictional article about a 6-year-old girl getting arrested for a book report. The case went up to the Texas Supreme Court, which ruled that the article was recognizable as satire and did not libel the two officials, who were involved in a similar real-life case.