PDA

View Full Version : Time for some crow

WVRed
06-25-2005, 10:08 AM
for myself.:(

Just saw Greg Oden has committed to Ohio St on ESPNNEWS. The announcement will be made next week.

This gives tOSU arguably the best recruiting class in the nation depending on how the rest shapes out. They already have the no 8 prospect according to scout.com in Daequan Cook, and no 21 in David Lighty.

Congratulations to Ohio St on winning the Oden sweepstakes. Now for the question of the day, what are they paying him?;)

Ok...I'll shut up now:)

traderumor
06-25-2005, 10:22 AM
for myself.:(

Just saw Greg Oden has committed to Ohio St on ESPNNEWS. The announcement will be made next week.

This gives tOSU arguably the best recruiting class in the nation depending on how the rest shapes out. They already have the no 8 prospect according to scout.com in Daequan Cook, and no 21 in David Lighty.

Congratulations to Ohio St on winning the Oden sweepstakes. Now for the question of the day, what are they paying him?;)

Ok...I'll shut up now:)Education, room and board. That coming from a fan of that bastion of ethical conduct in college athletics you have in your avatar? Interesting :beerme:

Reds Fanatic
06-25-2005, 10:29 AM
According to this story Oden still has not offically committed to Ohio State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2094297

Greg Oden's commitment to Ohio State hasn't occurred just yet, despite what the Indianapolis Star reported Friday morning in a story quoting an anonymous source.

Oden, a 7-footer who will be a senior Lawrence (Ind.) North, had been considered a possible No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft until an NBA rule change this week requiring players to be at least one year out of high school to be drafted.

Oden's AAU coach, Mike Conley Sr., told ESPN.com that Oden hasn't committed to anyone. Conley Sr. said Oden hasn't told any coach of his intentions just yet. A source close to Wake Forest confirmed that the Demon Deacons' staff was told that no decision was made.

Conley's son, Mike Jr., a teammate on the AAU Spiece Indy Heat as well as at Lawrence North High (Ind.), still hasn't committed anywhere, either. Conley Sr. said Oden's finalists remain Ohio State, Wake Forest, Indiana and Michigan State. He said his son's finalists are Ohio State and Wake Forest.

Conley Sr. said the pair are expected to make an announcement next week. Conley Sr. said he wouldn't rule out a commitment to Ohio State but wanted to underscore that it hasn't happened yet.

Unassisted
06-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Doesn't sound like he'll stay long, though. Shades of Carmelo Anthony?

OSU could be near recruiting gold rush
Oden, teammate reportedly leaning toward commitment
Saturday, June 25, 2005
Jonathan Kay
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

In 1991, Michigan landed a basketball recruiting class that became known as the Fab Five.

A similarly heralded group might land in Columbus in 2006.

It is not a done deal, but based on a coach’s hunch and published reports, Indianapolis high-school junior Greg Oden, a 7-foot center and the national player of the year, is prepared to commit to Ohio State and coach Thad Matta.

His point guard since sixth grade, Mike Conley, another player regarded near the top of the national class of 2006, is expected to join him, according to a story in yesterday’s Indianapolis Star.

"I do know that the sentiment is high, and I’m 99.9 percent (sure) they’re gonna be Buckeyes before June or July is over," said Al Powell, the players’ assistant coach for the AAU Spiece Indy Heat. "I cannot confirm it. I haven’t heard from Thad or (assistant coach John) Groce or any of the boys, so I don’t know."

Oden was unavailable for comment, and his mother, Zoe, declined to speak about the report. Conley’s mother, Regina, said her son also was unavailable and that the family is not speaking publicly about the Star’s story.

The players "have plans to have a press conference at some point within the next week or two to make a decision," she said.

So there is no decision? "No decision until the press conference," she said.

Previously, Oden was projected as the No. 1 pick in the 2006 NBA draft. But with the terms of the collective-bargaining agreement struck this week between the league and the players’ union, American players must be one year out of high school before they become draft-eligible. Oden, however, always had maintained that he planned to play in college.

"People won’t believe that now, but he was headed to college," Powell said. "If you talk to Greg, Greg always feels that he’s not ready yet, or that he needs work. What I love about him is that he’s a humble kid, and he doesn’t really realize how advanced he is."

That does not mean, however, that Oden will be a Buckeye for four years. "No way," Powell said.

In his junior season, Oden averaged 20 points, 9.6 rebounds and 3.7 blocked shots for Lawrence North High School. Conley averaged 10.7 points and five assists. While Oden is ranked first in his class by national scouting organizations, Conley is ranked 20 th by recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons’ All-Star Sports Report and 26 th by Scout.com.

The high-school teammates would join their AAU shooting guard Daequan Cook (ranked sixth by Gibbons) and Cleveland guard Dave Lighty (12 th) to form a group that draws comparisons with Michigan’s Fab Five freshmen of 1991. That group featured future NBA stars Chris Webber, Juwan Howard and Jalen Rose.

"I don’t like to compare anything to a Fab Five, but these kids are gonna make a great impact," Powell said. "It’s going to be Christmas in either June or July, whenever they make this announcement."

After narrowing their options to four schools, Oden and Conley were down to two finalists, Ohio State and Wake Forest. Powell said Matta and his familiar system put Ohio State on the players’ radar.

"We’ve brought them up under a similar system in AAU — open court, pro-type style, inside-out, run the floor," Powell said. "And (Ohio State’s) style is conducive to the way they’re used to playing. They’re going into a system where the adaptation shouldn’t be too hard."

And the two always have wanted to play with each other and would like to continue playing with Cook, Powell said.

"These kids have been playing together since the sixth grade, and Daequan’s been playing with them since the seventh grade," Powell said. "I think they made their mind up a long time ago that if they had the opportunity . . . It’s a rare case to have this many good kids that like each other."

CTA513
06-25-2005, 03:17 PM
He'll be there 1 year and then its off to the NBA.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Great news for the Buckeyes! They're my second favorite team :thumbup:

By the way...whatever happened to the Michigan basketball program? :ughmamoru

RANDY IN INDY
06-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Education, room and board. That coming from a fan of that bastion of ethical conduct in college athletics you have in your avatar? Interesting :beerme:

The interesting thing is that some of those bastions of ethical conduct in college athletics have been much better at pulling the covers over the NCAA's eyes than others. Big money buys bigger blankets. :beerme:

bucksfan
06-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Even if he's there for just a year, it is a good thing all around for tOSU. I am sure Syracuse would take Melo's sole season in retrospect. Cook seems to be doing a good job "recruiting" - and some of these guys, if they actually DO sign in the fall, will be around for more then a year and those guys will help the program in the areas such as some sustained continuity that Oden will not. But either way it is a positive if he comes to Columbus. The level of talent will have been raised.

Newport Red
06-27-2005, 11:48 PM
He'll be there 1 year and then its off to the NBA.

I'm sure someone will be delighted for a 1 year rental of OJ Mayo in two years.

CTA513
06-28-2005, 12:53 AM

They can be happy all they want, but they are only going to college 1 year because they have to, not because they want to.

Ibleedblue
06-28-2005, 05:46 AM
They can be happy all they want, but they are only going to college 1 year because they have to, not because they want to.Is that not the case with every college athlete? ;)

DoogMinAmo
06-28-2005, 07:11 AM

Rumors in the paper he is considering Uc for that one year, even with Hugs on the bubble. Could UC be a powerhouse in the Big East because of it?

WVRed
06-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Something new that popped up last night on the NBA Draft Special was a firm called IMG. Basically, kids with below average grades can sign with this firm straight out of high school, and they will work with you on perfecting your game so you can enter the draft the next year.

Seems like somebody is already trying to beat the system.

WVRed
06-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Rumors in the paper he is considering Uc for that one year, even with Hugs on the bubble. Could UC be a powerhouse in the Big East because of it?

Could be that UC could reap the benefits of a Greg Oden-Mike Conley package. I could very easily see Mayo and Bill Walker wearing Bearcat uniforms in a couple of years.

15fan
06-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Good luck to the kids, wherever they land.

But as someone who grew up in Columbus and graduated from Wake, I must say that picking OSU is somewhat of a head-scratcher. Especially when Conely Jr. was so open about Wake being his leader for so long.

This part also has me scratching my head.

After narrowing their options to four schools, Oden and Conley were down to two finalists, Ohio State and Wake Forest. Powell said Matta and his familiar system put Ohio State on the players’ radar.

"We’ve brought them up under a similar system in AAU — open court, pro-type style, inside-out, run the floor," Powell said. "And (Ohio State’s) style is conducive to the way they’re used to playing. They’re going into a system where the adaptation shouldn’t be too hard."

So the kids want to run up & down the court, eh? Here's a link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/leaders?cat=teamscoring&type=2) to the top team offenses for the recently concluded '04-'05 season.

One of their two finalists is up near the top. The other isn't anywhere to be seen.

bucksfan
06-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Wake is a very good basketball school, no doubt. But in my eyes it is also easy to see the attraction to the Buckeyes with Matta in place and the relative success they were able to have despite the circumstances of his 1st year. It's all up to what the kids want and what they are comfortable with. I don't think either would be a bad choice for someone with NBA aspirations or just someone who wants a good college hoops experience.

traderumor
06-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Good luck to the kids, wherever they land.

But as someone who grew up in Columbus and graduated from Wake, I must say that picking OSU is somewhat of a head-scratcher. Especially when Conely Jr. was so open about Wake being his leader for so long.

This part also has me scratching my head.

So the kids want to run up & down the court, eh? Here's a link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/leaders?cat=teamscoring&type=2) to the top team offenses for the recently concluded '04-'05 season.

One of their two finalists is up near the top. The other isn't anywhere to be seen.I think its because they liked Brutus better than this guy :)

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/wake/trads/images/wake-trads-demon-deacon.jpg

redsfan30
06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Don't think it's been mentioned anywhere....

The press conference is scheduled for 1:00 tomorrow.

bucksfan
06-28-2005, 03:43 PM
The Buckeyes, at 72 ppg last year, are not as far off as one would think. I realize that teams like UNC are up there around 89, but what also must be considered is that they got that 72 ppg (4th in the Big Ten) with (IMO only) two of the worst in terms of basketball IQ guards I have seen playing too many of the minutes, especially early on. Stockman and Fuss-Cheatham made horrible decisions all too often and that is a tough match for a team committed to Matta's system. Foster and Butler took over nea r the midpoint thankfully, but this was definitley a tranistion year for the backcourt. With the 1st 2 gone, the latter 2 a year more experienced, and Mayes coming in this year, and Cook/Lighty the next year, the backcourt will beeven more tailored to the system Matta likes to use.

Ibleedblue
06-28-2005, 06:36 PM
WV Red Said:
Something new that popped up last night on the NBA Draft Special was a firm called IMG. Basically, kids with below average grades can sign with this firm straight out of high school, and they will work with you on perfecting your game so you can enter the draft the next year.It's not just for the draft. It's for any kid who just wants to basically focus on basketball for a year. Ramel Bradley went there after HS and he ended up at UK. Adam Williams, a former WV HS player went there last year instead of coming straight to UK and having to redshirt.

It's a place where a lot of pros workout in the offseason, I love it when I hear that a guy coming to UK went there for a year, because it helps them greatly.

Bucksfan Said:
The Buckeyes, at 72 ppg last year, are not as far off as one would think. There's more to it than just PPG. UK will rarely be up there towards the top of the nation in PPG, but they have won more games than anybody the last three years(Well, almost, Illinois has 1 more win). You need defense to win, otherwise Florida would be a powerhouse every year.

bucksfan
06-28-2005, 07:25 PM
There's more to it than just PPG. UK will rarely be up there towards the top of the nation in PPG, but they have won more games than anybody the last three years(Well, almost, Illinois has 1 more win). You need defense to win, otherwise Florida would be a powerhouse every year.

Believe me, I know that. :thumbup: I was just responding to the notion of the style of play the players wanted and the ppg as a measuring stick as to whether that style was emplyed at the schools of their choice. PPG is a pretty good indicator, within reason, of style of play. Whether that style wins you any games at all is a whole 'nother matter ;) But I believe anyone wanting some thing relatively uptempo would not be badly served by attending tOSU under Matta's system.

15fan
06-29-2005, 10:04 AM
tr -

don't go dissin' the Deac. The Deac kicks butt.

On another note, here are some interesting numbers from last night's NBA draft:

# of ACC players drafted in the first round: 7 (including 3 of the top 5, and 5 of the top 14.)

# of Big 10/11 players drafted in the first round: 2 (both from Illinois, at #s 3 & 24).

2 more ACC players were drafted in the 2nd round, giving the ACC 9 draftees before the 3rd and final Big 10/11 representative (Bracey Wright) was called.

I realize that this stuff is cyclical, and that drafting isn't exactly a science. But that's some pretty solid evidence that if you are interested in playing pro ball in the NBA, the ACC is a great proving ground.

bucknutdet
06-29-2005, 10:54 AM
:bang: That is pretty funny, a Marshall fan accusing another school of cheating. Take a hard look in the mirror (don't use profanity, masked or otherwise --ochre). :mooner: :)

WVRed
06-29-2005, 11:05 AM
:bang: That is pretty funny, a Marshall fan accusing another school of cheating. Take a hard look in the mirror (don't use profanity, masked or otherwise --ochre). :mooner: :)

http://users.rcn.com/rostmd/winace/pics/pot_kettle.jpg

RANDY IN INDY
06-29-2005, 11:10 AM
:bang: That is pretty funny, a Marshall fan accusing another school of cheating. Take a hard look in the mirror (don't use profanity, masked or otherwise --ochre) :mooner: :)

Nice ending on that post. :rolleyes:

traderumor
06-29-2005, 03:29 PM
It's O-fficial.

Scout.com's #1, 2, 4, and 5 ranked players (at their positions) in the 2006 class all going to one school. Amazing recruiting coup. One year and out? Perhaps, but Thad Motta just put tOSU back on the map in college basketball. Cudos to Thad for going for it.

Unassisted
06-29-2005, 06:28 PM
http://dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=118843

Oden, Conley pick OSU
The Columbus Dispatch
Wednesday, June 29, 2005
Greg Oden and Mike Conley, two of the top high-school basketball prospects in the country, confirmed today that they plan to play college basketball at Ohio State.

Oden, a 7-foot center, and Conley, a 6-1 point guard, made the announcement at a news conference at their school, Lawrence North High School near Indianapolis.

Oden picked OSU over Wake Forest, Indiana and Michigan State; Conley, who was long rumored to join his teammate, also considered Wake Forest.

By choosing Ohio State, they join AAU teammate Daequan Cook of Dayton Dunbar, who committed to the Buckeyes in March, and David Lighty of Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph, who did so in April. The four would be able to sign binding national letters of intent in November.

Recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons ranks Oden first, Cook sixth, Lighty 12th and Conley 20th in the class of 2006. He has said it would be the best class Ohio State has attracted since he began rating recruits in 1978 and that "it would compare with one of the all-time great classes, the Fab Five," at Michigan in 1991.

That class included future NBA players Chris Webber, Jalen Rose and Juwan Howard and reached the NCAA championship game in 1992 and 1993 before Webber left for the NBA after his sophomore season.

Before the NBA last week changed its early-entry rule to require high-school graduates to wait a year before entering the draft, Oden was projected as the No. 1 choice next year.

I'll throw this one in here, too. Oden's mom is not pleased that her son doesn't get to enter the draft until '07.

COMMENTARY
NBA age limit may bring Oden to OSU, but it’s still flawed
Wednesday, June 29, 2005
TODD JONES

In a visceral sense, today should be a day of unfettered joy for Ohio State men’s basketball fans as two of the nation’s top high-school players are expected to announce they’ll play for the Buckeyes in 2006-07.

If Greg Oden and Mike Conley, high-school and AAU teammates in Indianapolis, follow through with expected oral commitments, mark this as a monumental moment for OSU basketball.

Just landing Oden, considered the nation’s top player in the class of 2006, would be enough for Ohio State coach Thad Matta to officially launch the comeback of a basketball program dogged by the misdeeds of the previous coaching regime.

And yet, Oden would also place Ohio State in the forefront of debates about the system of college basketball and the NBA’s new age limit for draft eligibility.

Matta, for certain, should be hailed if Oden agrees to play for the Buckeyes. If anything, bringing in a player of such caliber shows that Ohio State is aiming much higher in its recruiting than it did under previous coach Jim O’Brien.

Oden, a man-child at 7 feet, 245 pounds, would help the Buckeyes win a lot of games.

At least for one season.

This is where the news about Oden meanders into related issues, all ripe for debate, each lying below OSU’s surface joy.

Those issues were exacerbated by the NBA’s new collective-bargaining agreement, which states that beginning in 2006, players must be at least one year removed from high school and 19 years old by draft day to be eligible for selection.

In other words, Oden isn’t eligible for the 2006 draft, even though if he were, he would be the consensus top pick.

Oden would already be a rich man if he had been born a year earlier, for some team would have opened the bank vault for him in last night’s draft.

Instead, he must wait until 2007 to collect his NBA riches, which is good news for Ohio State fans.

Oden, a solid kid and student by all accounts, has said he planned on attending college anyway, but the new NBA age limit caused his mother to cry foul.

"I’m teed off because I just don’t understand what they’re trying to prove or what this will accomplish," Zoe Oden recently told The Indianapolis Star. "This means that Greg is held back a year. The option has been taken from him. I don’t think that’s right. I’m not happy."

Zoe Oden is right to be upset. If her son can join the U.S. military at age 18 and fight in Iraq, he certainly should be able to be drafted by an NBA team at that age, or any age for that matter.

Of course, that argument didn’t help Maurice Clarett in his court fight against the NFL. No surprise, then, that Zoe Oden doesn’t plan litigation against the NBA.

The NBA’s age limit saves its own teams from their previous lack of restraint. No one forced teams to draft 36 players directly from high school from 1995-2004.

In essence, the league’s age limit has created a one-year limbo for teenagers who possess the dream, valid or foolish, of playing in the NBA.

Beginning next year, those kids will go play in Europe, join the NBA’s beefed-up minorleague system (the National Basketball Development League), play at a prep school, or attend a major college.

If college is the choice, some players will be landing on campuses as one-year mercenaries. That would perpetuate the hypocrisy of big-time college athletics, already viewed as factories churning out huge revenue from amateur labor.

Where is the academic incentive for any player who enters college in 2006 with plans to stay just one year?

And if Oden leaves Ohio State after one year, how will his early departure affect the school’s Academic Progress Rate? The NCAA created the APR to punish schools that do not retain and graduate their athletes, which could result in the loss of future scholarships.

Oden is too talented for Ohio State, or any school, to ignore. Look what Carmelo Anthony did for Syracuse in just one season.

In the end, college coaches are judged on wins and losses.

So it’ll be a big day for Matta and OSU to land a recruit of Oden’s stature.

It’s also a day, however, that includes subterranean issues that don’t reflect well on the NBA or major college basketball.

Todd Jones is a sports columnist for The Dispatch

15fan
06-29-2005, 10:43 PM
From the little bit I've read, Zoe Oden sounds like she's cut from cloth similar to LeBron's mom.

IOW, she's chomping at the bit to live a life of bling bling.

traderumor
06-30-2005, 12:16 AM
I don't have any problem with recruiting the blue chippers, even if they are likely short timers. They still have to do college work and keep their grades up, even if they do not have long term plans. Some guys will likely discover that they aren't ready for the pro lifestyle or the pro game and stay in college longer, some may even graduate. And both sides benefit from that. Besides, folks are fooling themselves if they don't understand that big time college athletics is a boon to a university's exposure, which helps, rather than hinders their academics. Ask Duke. Has a big time college program with short timers hurt that school's academics? Finally, the NBA gets a little more credibility by asking for another year to let a kid mature before taking that big step.