PDA

View Full Version : Kearns' Weight

Sea Ray
06-25-2005, 12:58 PM
I thought it was interesting in today's Enquirer they finally mentioned the issue of Austin Kearns' weight and even put a number on it.

Much has been discussed recently about Austin Kearns weight. Today's Enquirer had this to add in an article by John Fay:

The Reds weren't happy with the shape Kearns is in. He was playing at 255 pounds when optioned.

Asked if the club wanted Kearns to improve his conditioning, O'Brien said: "There's certain elements to the overall program that I would just as soon not comment on. Let's just say it is a diverse program, covering quite a few components."

Being the curious type that I am, I wondered what weight he was listed at when he came up in 2002. Baseball Almanac listed him at 220 lbs! This seems about right and confirms what my own eyes tell me. He's 35 lbs heavier than he was three years ago and that's not coming off in one AAA stint. He may improve but he's not going back to the Austin Kearns we expect until next year and that's provided he participates in a dedicated off season conditioning program.

Redny
06-25-2005, 01:18 PM
He's 35 lbs heavier than he was three years ago and that's not coming off in one AAA stint.

That depends on how long he stays in AAA. I suspect he will have to drop a good portion of it before he gets called back up.

RDriesen16
06-25-2005, 01:23 PM
if you ask me, kearns, dunn and pena all got to big. whether it was fat or muscle. i think thats one reason dunn and kearns have struggled

Garrett
06-25-2005, 01:41 PM
you see it again and again. All the talent in the world. Adulation in high school and pro baseball. Girls running after you by the dozens.
And the pxxs it all away!

Johnny Footstool
06-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Dunn hasn't struggled.

captainmorgan07
06-25-2005, 01:56 PM
pena looks like he's bulked up wit muslce more than fat his upper body has gotten bigger

BCubb2003
06-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Ted Kluszewski only weighed 225. It was all in his arms.

Garrett
06-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Ted Kluszewski only weighed 225. It was all in his arms.
Kluszewski also wasn't all that tall, certainly shorter than kearns

VI_RedsFan
06-25-2005, 02:38 PM
pena looks like he's bulked up wit muslce more than fat his upper body has gotten bigger

Yeah, that what I was about to say. I can't believe AK weghs 255. I knew he had gained weight, but not that much!

RDriesen16
06-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Dunn hasn't struggled.
HE HASNT? really, so you think dunn is a 240 hitter. CRAP, he is way better than a 240 hitter. he should be hittin 280 at least. ive seen him play since he was in dayton and he is no 240 hitter. his bat speed is down imo. you see how many fastballs that got thrown right by him just in last nights game

RBA
06-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Wow! 255! I don't even think Da' Meat was that big.

Maybe he is setting his goal on hittng his weight. In that case heavier is better.

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah, that what I was about to say. I can't believe AK weghs 255. I knew he had gained weight, but not that much!

He's listed on the roster at 6-3, 245. I don't know where that number comes from ... ST maybe?

Pena is also listed at 6-3, 245. And Dunn: 6-6, 275.

Ravenlord
06-25-2005, 02:58 PM
HE HASNT? really, so you think dunn is a 240 hitter. CRAP, he is way better than a 240 hitter. he should be hittin 280 at least. ive seen him play since he was in dayton and he is no 240 hitter. his bat speed is down imo. you see how many fastballs that got thrown right by him just in last nights game974 OPS...first among all Left Fielders...9th in all of baseball, one point behind David Ortiz.

if that's struggling, i would like everyone on this team to struggle offensively.

RosieRed
06-25-2005, 02:59 PM
HE HASNT? really, so you think dunn is a 240 hitter. CRAP, he is way better than a 240 hitter. he should be hittin 280 at least. ive seen him play since he was in dayton and he is no 240 hitter. his bat speed is down imo. you see how many fastballs that got thrown right by him just in last nights game

Can we please not turn this into yet another thread about Dunn's abilities?

Willy
06-25-2005, 03:11 PM
I think all RDriesn16 was tring to say was Dunn could do better than what he is. No on e is going to argue hat Dunn is having a good year, but what COULD he being doing if he were in great shape.

Betterread
06-25-2005, 03:18 PM
I think all RDriesn16 was tring to say was Dunn could do better than what he is. No on e is going to argue hat Dunn is having a good year, but what COULD he being doing if he were in great shape.

When the team is 30-43, EVERYONE on the team can do better, from Dunn down to Weber. You play to win, not to have good numbers. I am quite sure Dunn is not satisfied with his season, despite all of his good numbers.

The_jbh
06-25-2005, 04:16 PM
KEarns was 220 when he signed. He was 18 years old then. He will never return to that weight. I'd be happy with a FIT 235.

kyred14
06-25-2005, 04:28 PM
amazing, does every thread have to turn into a dunn bashing thread? :bang:

KronoRed
06-25-2005, 04:42 PM
amazing, does every thread have to turn into a dunn bashing thread? :bang:
They used to be JR bashing threads, then Casey, when Dunn is gone they will be Pena ones.

kyred14
06-25-2005, 04:54 PM
They used to be JR bashing threads, then Casey, when Dunn is gone they will be Pena ones.

It's crazy, there are about 1000 things wrong with this team and organization. Adam Dunn has been, and continues to be, one of the few bright spots despite his misusage by the team.

TOBTTReds
06-25-2005, 05:48 PM
It's crazy, there are about 1000 things wrong with this team and organization. Adam Dunn has been, and continues to be, one of the few bright spots despite his misusage by the team.

Expectations will do this. We all know he can play better. That's all.

Falls City Beer
06-25-2005, 05:58 PM
We all know he can play better. That's all.

And what's great is, if he can't play better, it doesn't matter; he's great right now.

So it's win-win! Woo-hoo!

smith288
06-25-2005, 06:09 PM
http://www.ejsmithweb.com/fr/fatkearns.jpg

RedsBaron
06-25-2005, 06:17 PM
255 would be a good weight for Kearns if he was trying to win a spot on the Bengals roster, but that sounds like at least 15-20 pounds more than he should be as a baseball player.

smith288
06-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Does the reds not posess one single person from past years who can talk some work ethic into these young guys? I say send Bench in to rip PS2's out of the walls and lead them to a regiment.

Dont get me wrong...im not a Dunn basher but I believe he isnt putting his all and is going based on his natural ability rather than by learning ala Tony Gwynn. Kearns has been sounding like everything is owed to him and as much as I like him as a ball player from 2003, I want to see that guy again...2005 Kearns is unbecoming.

We need leadership...thats all there is to it to me.

Sea Ray
06-26-2005, 02:22 AM
He's listed on the roster at 6-3, 245. I don't know where that number comes from ... ST maybe?

Pena is also listed at 6-3, 245. And Dunn: 6-6, 275.

Hey as I listed while starting this thread, the Reds (ie O'Brien) said that he was 255 when they sent him down. That's where the number came from and it's their job to know what their players weigh at all times. The number did not come from ST. You better believe I'd be putting him on the scale...

Sea Ray
06-26-2005, 02:25 AM
KEarns was 220 when he signed. He was 18 years old then. He will never return to that weight. I'd be happy with a FIT 235.

That may be but he was listed at 220 lbs just three years ago when he was 22.

Johnny Footstool
06-26-2005, 03:17 AM

Please refer to the 1000 other threads on this topic. Learn how many total bases Dunn has accumulated, and how many outs he has made. Then if you'd still like to discuss his batting average, we can talk.

KearnsyEars
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
do you guys think kearns is done here?

Mario-Rijo
06-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Dunn needs to do a better job with runner on base.There is no way F. Lopez should have more RBI than A.Dunn.

RosieRed
06-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey as I listed while starting this thread, the Reds (ie O'Brien) said that he was 255 when they sent him down. That's where the number came from and it's their job to know what their players weigh at all times. The number did not come from ST. You better believe I'd be putting him on the scale...

I meant the number listed on the roster (the 245), not the 255. I don't know where the 245 came from, ie when he was at that weight.

Unassisted
06-27-2005, 03:40 PM
do you guys think kearns is done here?A week ago, my answer would have been "I hope so." I am encouraged by his renewed commitment to improvement in Louisville and if it continues, would hope that he stays.

KearnsyEars
06-27-2005, 03:51 PM
A week ago, my answer would have been "I hope so." I am encouraged by his renewed commitment to improvement in Louisville and if it continues, would hope that he stays.

Link? RE: Encouraged Committment to improvement in lousiville?

where did you get this from?

Unassisted
06-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Link? RE: Encouraged Committment to improvement in lousiville?
where did you get this from?http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36968

Redsland
06-27-2005, 04:07 PM
This regime has a tough time getting past its perceptions and seeing reality.

Imagine AK suddenly blossoms into a .950 OPS monster like Dunn. You might think the FO would be thrilled and bring AK up and the rivers would flow with honey.

But then you might recall that this organization thinks .950 OPS monster Adam Dunn is a #7 hitter. That being the case, what kind of numbers would AK have to put up to win some converts in the FO? 1.200? 1.500?

Perception: Dunn is a #6/7 hitter who should sit against lefties.
Perception: Griffey is a center fielder.
Perception: Casey is our most productive hitter.
Perception: Coffey canít be trusted.
Perception: Ortiz can.
Perception: Aurilia is a top-of-the-order hitter.

Perception: Austin Kearns canít get it done.

All of these perceptions clearly exist and all of them could be easily disposed of with a glance at a scouting report or stat sheet. But this FO canít seem to take that simple step.

So, yes, I do think AK is finished here, simply because heís in the FOís doghouse, and this FO isnít good at changing its mind, even when thereís plenty of evidence that it should.

Of course, AK could thrive here again. But that will only happen if this FO gets kicked to the curb.

RosieRed
06-27-2005, 04:12 PM

I hope not.

I've been a big Kearns supporter for years, and I still think he's going to put it all together and be a force on whatever team he plays for. I want that team to be the Reds.

However, I do worry that this FO just doesn't like Kearns, for whatever reasons, and would let him go somewhere else. I know DanO has said he has no intent of trading Kearns ... I hope that's true. (Even though Kearns has nowhere to play on this team right now.)

A lot of people seem to view Kearns as the odd man out on this team and propose trading him and keeping Dunn and Pena. For whatever reason, I've never been able to get on board with the Pena part. I get that Pena has all the power in the world, but that's all I see from him right now. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. So many people think Pena has unlimited potential ... and maybe he does, and I'm totally wrong. I tend to think he has limited potential, and I think he is a liability in the field. I know Kearns has struggled, but I think he has much more of a chance of being a true complete player (cliche as it is) than Pena does.

Johnny Footstool
06-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Dunn needs to do a better job with runner on base.There is no way F. Lopez should have more RBI than A.Dunn.

This is another tired argument.

GoReds
06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Actually, my perception is that Kearns probably did react badly to the demotion, as he has been shown to do in the past.

It's likely that Kearns received some sage advice (from his agent?) indicating that he was killing his future earnings potential by becoming Jose Guillen II. Credit Kearns for taking the advice and applying it - so far.

The question is the future. Kearns hasn't been Kearns for so long, I'm sure even he had doubts that he was as good as the hype. Seems that the AAA pitching has helped restore at least some of the confidence that he must have to be successful.

Kearns certainly has the potential to be a star in the majors. My only fear is that he is going the long route in getting there. Hopefully THIS is the wake-up call he needed to get back in the groove and he realizes that potential with the Reds and not with his fourth or fifth team, a la Guillen.

For now, I'm still a bit doubtful. If he comes in next spring having maintained a good workout program, then I'll change my mind.

KittyDuran
06-27-2005, 04:35 PM
I hope not.

I've been a big Kearns supporter for years, and I still think he's going to put it all together and be a force on whatever team he plays for. I want that team to be the Reds.

However, I do worry that this FO just doesn't like Kearns, for whatever reasons, and would let him go somewhere else. I know DanO has said he has no intent of trading Kearns ... I hope that's true. (Even though Kearns has nowhere to play on this team right now.)

A lot of people seem to view Kearns as the odd man out on this team and propose trading him and keeping Dunn and Pena. For whatever reason, I've never been able to get on board with the Pena part. I get that Pena has all the power in the world, but that's all I see from him right now. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. So many people think Pena has unlimited potential ... and maybe he does, and I'm totally wrong. I tend to think he has limited potential, and I think he is a liability in the field. I know Kearns has struggled, but I think he has much more of a chance of being a true complete player (cliche as it is) than Pena does.My thoughts exactly... glad someone is more eloquent than me... :thumbup:

deltachi8
06-27-2005, 04:37 PM
This regime has a tough time getting past its perceptions and seeing reality.

Imagine AK suddenly blossoms into a .950 OPS monster like Dunn. You might think the FO would be thrilled and bring AK up and the rivers would flow with honey.

But then you might recall that this organization thinks .950 OPS monster Adam Dunn is a #7 hitter. That being the case, what kind of numbers would AK have to put up to win some converts in the FO? 1.200? 1.500?

Perception: Dunn is a #6/7 hitter who should sit against lefties.
Perception: Griffey is a center fielder.
Perception: Casey is our most productive hitter.
Perception: Coffey canít be trusted.
Perception: Ortiz can.
Perception: Aurilia is a top-of-the-order hitter.

Perception: Austin Kearns canít get it done.

All of these perceptions clearly exist and all of them could be easily disposed of with a glance at a scouting report or stat sheet. But this FO canít seem to take that simple step.

So, yes, I do think AK is finished here, simply because heís in the FOís doghouse, and this FO isnít good at changing its mind, even when thereís plenty of evidence that it should.

Of course, AK could thrive here again. But that will only happen if this FO gets kicked to the curb.

Can we send a copy of this to the powers that be?

Whay, oh why, do the humble (yet brilliant) posters at Redszone seem to understand the issues so much better than the current front office.

Redsland
06-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Whay, oh why, do the humble (yet brilliant) posters at Redszone seem to understand the issues so much better than the current front office.
Modest. Brilliant yet modest.

:beerme:

KearnsyEars
06-27-2005, 05:02 PM
dont get rid of kearns!!!! ever.....

Chip R
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM
A lot of people seem to view Kearns as the odd man out on this team and propose trading him and keeping Dunn and Pena. For whatever reason, I've never been able to get on board with the Pena part. I get that Pena has all the power in the world, but that's all I see from him right now. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. So many people think Pena has unlimited potential ... and maybe he does, and I'm totally wrong. I tend to think he has limited potential, and I think he is a liability in the field. I know Kearns has struggled, but I think he has much more of a chance of being a true complete player (cliche as it is) than Pena does.
I think just as many have advocated getting rid of Dunn or Pena. And still others have wanted to get rid of Jr. or Casey.

I think you're right about Pena. I also think what we see is what we're going to get from Pena. Ungodly power, great speed, a howitzer for an arm that is pretty accurate. However, his defense is atrocious. He can make the big play every once in a while though but his instincts are bad. It hasn't helped that the Reds didn't have a full time OF instructor on staff for the last year and a half. I just don't think he's really going to get that much better defensively. I don't think he's ever going to hit for a high average and he's going to strike out a bunch. If you accept him for that, you shouldn't have any problems with Pena.

A lot of Reds fans see Kearns as he was when he first came up and what he did 2 years ago before Ray King sat on him. Truly a 5 tool player with great plate discipline as well. Of course injuries have set him back. I don't think he's ever been a workout freak though. I remember listening to him on the radio during RedsFest after his first year and they asked him what he did during the offseason. He said that he basically played PlayStation. That isn't a big deal in and of itself but lately you have to wonder if that is all he does during the winter. He has gained weight the last couple of years. I would think some of it is muscle but some could be fat. Even if it is all muscle, is it necessary for him to be that big? He had power before he gained that weight. Then there are the attitude questions. Even before DanO got here he didn't react well to being sent down to the minors. Perhaps DanO hasn't exactly been his biggest backer but what has Kearns done since DanO has been here. To his credit, Kearns did give the 3rd base transition a go. That gives him major points attitude wise in my book. But he still hasn't produced this season. Even some of his biggest supporters has said he's out of shape and isn't the defensive player he once was. When he got regular playing time this year he hasn't produced. He didn't pull anything with power. That could be the aftereffects of the shoulder injury as Casey had a similar injury and he didn't pull anything with power till last season. He seems to have taken his latest demotion as well as could be expected and is hitting well in LOU.

I don't think it's necesarily a choice between Pena and Kearns. I think it's a judgement whether Kearns will once again be the player he was pre-Ray King or if he's going to be what he is now. That is a decision that a GM is paid well to make and it's a decision that his reputation is going to either be made or broken on.

KearnsyEars
06-27-2005, 05:46 PM
just keep kearns around long term....he'll be a player I garuntee it. Isn't he hitting great a AAA now? I think he's just gotta get into shape and get some confidence back. No better way to do it then by tearing up triple AAA pitching and running a little bit

Sea Ray
06-27-2005, 06:29 PM
I meant the number listed on the roster (the 245), not the 255. I don't know where the 245 came from, ie when he was at that weight.

I think he looked heavy when he reported to ST. So I think the goal should be to get back to where he was three years ago regardless of wher he was in March.

Terry
06-27-2005, 07:09 PM
I don't know what his listed weight was when he was drafted, but I saw him pitch several times during his senior season at Lexington Lafayette, and looking at him now, compared to back then, it's hard to believe it's the same guy. Some of it is just natural filling out obviously, and some of it's because of having access to major league workout equipment and trainers. But he is absolutely huge now compared to when he was drafted. And I don't mean that in a good way either.

KearnsyEars
06-28-2005, 11:09 AM
steroids or cheeseburgers terry?

anyone got an update on how kearns is hitting now?

Redsland
06-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Through Sunday he was 14 for 42 in 10 games with 8 doubles, one homerun, 5 walks, 15 strikeouts. .333/.417/.595/1.012

Jesus Freak
06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Maybe Kearns can drink the potion that Sherman Clump drank to turn him into Buddy Love - from Austin Kearns to Austin Powers.

KearnsyEars
06-28-2005, 11:40 AM
he just needs to lose some weight and keep hitting like he is at AAA, maybe a few homeruns or so....

deltachi8
06-29-2005, 12:04 PM
the more i think about it, the more i believe that Austin Kearns has played his last game for the Reds.

OldRightHander
06-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Maybe he's trying to bulk up so he can sit on Ray King and return the favor.

KearnsyEars
06-29-2005, 01:10 PM
I think either Dunn or Kearns will be here for the long term. They won't let both go.

Garrett
06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
I think just as many have advocated getting rid of Dunn or Pena. And still others have wanted to get rid of Jr. or Casey.

I think you're right about Pena. I also think what we see is what we're going to get from Pena. Ungodly power, great speed, a howitzer for an arm that is pretty accurate. However, his defense is atrocious. He can make the big play every once in a while though but his instincts are bad. It hasn't helped that the Reds didn't have a full time OF instructor on staff for the last year and a half. I just don't think he's really going to get that much better defensively. I don't think he's ever going to hit for a high average and he's going to strike out a bunch. If you accept him for that, you shouldn't have any problems with Pena.

A lot of Reds fans see Kearns as he was when he first came up and what he did 2 years ago before Ray King sat on him. Truly a 5 tool player with great plate discipline as well. Of course injuries have set him back. I don't think he's ever been a workout freak though. I remember listening to him on the radio during RedsFest after his first year and they asked him what he did during the offseason. He said that he basically played PlayStation. That isn't a big deal in and of itself but lately you have to wonder if that is all he does during the winter. He has gained weight the last couple of years. I would think some of it is muscle but some could be fat. Even if it is all muscle, is it necessary for him to be that big? He had power before he gained that weight. Then there are the attitude questions. Even before DanO got here he didn't react well to being sent down to the minors. Perhaps DanO hasn't exactly been his biggest backer but what has Kearns done since DanO has been here. To his credit, Kearns did give the 3rd base transition a go. That gives him major points attitude wise in my book. But he still hasn't produced this season. Even some of his biggest supporters has said he's out of shape and isn't the defensive player he once was. When he got regular playing time this year he hasn't produced. He didn't pull anything with power. That could be the aftereffects of the shoulder injury as Casey had a similar injury and he didn't pull anything with power till last season. He seems to have taken his latest demotion as well as could be expected and is hitting well in LOU.

I don't think it's necesarily a choice between Pena and Kearns. I think it's a judgement whether Kearns will once again be the player he was pre-Ray King or if he's going to be what he is now. That is a decision that a GM is paid well to make and it's a decision that his reputation is going to either be made or broken on.
Excellent post. A GM's reputation will ride on this. Right now, almost everything O'Brien has touched besides Randa hasn't done well. He needs some wins, or he'll join Miley.

KearnsyEars
06-29-2005, 02:10 PM
"Life's a dance, learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"-- John Micheal Montgomrey

take note Austin

TeamBoone
06-29-2005, 02:24 PM
06/28/2005 1:34 PM ET
Kearns keeps a positive outlook
By Kyle Jepson / MLB.com

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Austin Kearns arrived in Louisville two weeks ago with a smile on his face and just four words on his mind: "Let's play some ball."
There was no harboring ill will toward Reds management, no pouting around the clubhouse and no giving up on the season.

Just four words: "Let's play some ball."

Well, maybe a bit of frustration, too.

"Of course there's frustration," Kearns said. "I didn't like the decision. I didn't think that it was right. But I figured, coming here, playing every day, I'll show people that I can play, and that'll take care of itself.

"I didn't like their decision, but there's nothing I can do about it. I'm easy going, I just like to play. I think I played the game the right way. I'm going to enjoy it while I'm here. And wherever I go from here, I'm just going to take that same attitude."

Kearns decided to make the most of playing Triple-A ball and moved past being ticked off. Now, he's just trying to get back to the Majors.

Kearns was optioned down to Louisville on June 12 because of his poor performance with the Reds this season. He was batting just .224 with six home runs and 25 RBIs at the time.

Once he arrived in Louisville, he was placed on a program of sorts by Reds management that included him playing every day and losing weight. Although Kearns didn't say what he weighed, entering the season he was up around 245. He said Reds management wants him under 240.

But Kearns feels if he had been able to play with the Reds every day, he wouldn't have put up such poor numbers. And the weight, he said, wasn't a factor at all.

"I probably just put too much pressure on myself," Kearns said. "I started off slow, then I started swinging well, then I hit another slump. So it was probably just putting some pressure on myself. And then not being in there every day just made me try that much harder, which probably made things worse."

"But my first game down here I was running and running well. It doesn't hurt to lose weight, but I don't feel that was causing me to struggle. In Spring Training, it wasn't any different, and I was doing fine and nobody said anything about it then."

Regardless of why Kearns was struggling, he's in Louisville and apparently not going anywhere anytime soon. Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said Friday that the organization has no interest in trading Kearns. And after calling up three players over the weekend, including outfielder Jason Romano, it seems the Reds are going to keep Kearns in Triple-A until he meets their standards.

Kearns said he hasn't, and won't, demand a trade, despite not getting the call back up. He said he prefers to play in Cincinnati if at all possible. But he'd rather be an everyday player anywhere than see minimal time in the Reds organization.

"I would like to go back to Cincinnati and play every day," Kearns said. "But if that's not the case, I'd like to go somewhere else and play. I might like a shot somewhere else, because I think I'm an everyday player.

"You want to play with the organization you came up with. But I want to play every day, too. I like playing in Cincinnati. I like the city; it's close to home for me. But there comes a time when you want to be an everyday player."

And Kearns has not kept this a secret from the Reds.

"I've already told them what I felt," he said. "I said if I can't play [in Cincinnati] every day, and there's an opportunity somewhere else, then [a trade] wouldn't bother me a bit."

For now, though, Kearns will have to continue playing in the Minors and working his way back up to the level he was playing his first three seasons with the Reds.

Since being sent down to Louisville, Kearns showed right from the start the type of player he is, batting nearly .400 with a homer. His last two games, however, he's struggled, unable to record a hit in either game. Now Kearns' average sits at .311 with still one home run and nine RBIs in 11 games.

But he isn't worried that he'll be lost in the shuffle. He understands that those players were called up just to see Major League time and not to be a permanent fixture with the team.

"If they were outfielders getting called up to play every day, yeah, I'm sure I'd be upset," he said. "But that's not the case. I understand why they're calling people up."

And in agreement with it or not, Kearns also understands what he has to do to get back to the Majors.

"I work hard," he said. "I think it's just a matter of relaxing and playing. I put the work in. I was putting the work in when I was there. It's just that the results weren't there. So, probably, the best thing for me is just to relax and have fun."

"It'll work out. I'm confident that things will work out."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050628&content_id=1107068&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

KronoRed
06-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Great article :clap:

Go Austin :)

KearnsyEars
06-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Great article. Come on Kearnsy. There is no way we've heard the last of this guy.

He said he prefers to play in Cincinnati if at all possible.

luvdozer
06-29-2005, 03:20 PM
you see it again and again. All the talent in the world. Adulation in high school and pro baseball. Girls running after you by the dozens.
And the pxxs it all away!

That's definitely what happened to me

KearnsyEars
06-29-2005, 03:21 PM
When do you guys think he'll get another shot in the Major Leagues?

Redsland
06-29-2005, 03:59 PM
No question.

bottom_feeder
06-29-2005, 05:26 PM
I just don't see what the problem is with Kearns' weight. He's doing well in Louisville, why not call him up? I remember Kevin Mitchell playing here. As long as the guy hits, he can eat all the nachos he wants.

KearnsyEars
06-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I agree....call him up, he doesnt look THAT fat.

Redsland
06-29-2005, 06:18 PM
He will if he gets $70 a day in meal money and sits on the bench.

;)

KearnsyEars
06-30-2005, 04:28 AM
bring back fatso ears!