PDA

View Full Version : Summer Movie Scorecard

savafan
07-01-2005, 12:20 PM
I've caught a few of the summer "blockbusters" in the last few weeks, and here are my opinions.

Batman Begins was excellent. There's really not much more I can say about it than what was written in the exclusive thread about this film. So much more than just another superhero movie, and a great new beginning for a fledgling franchise. Grade: A+

Bewitched was cute. It had it's funny moments. As in Batman Begins, Michael Caine is very good in this film. I really like Will Ferrell, but this isn't his strongest work. It's a decent date movie, but fans of the original series may be disappointed. I did find it better than the critics did however. Grade: C+

The Longest Yard was just okay. It seemed too gimmicky for my tastes, and the acting just didn't come off as genuine. For a film that teamed up Sandler with Chris Rock, I really expected a lot more laughs. Grade: C-

Mr. and Mrs. Smith had one thing going for it. Angelina Jolie was smoking hot! Other than that, the movie was a bit corny. Both Jolie and Pitt did a good job with what they had to work with, but that wasn't much. It all was just too glossy with too little substance. A lot of cool explosions though. Grade: C-

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was excellent. A great final chapter in the Star Wars saga. I've already said all I needed to on the thread about this film. If you haven't seen it, go, right now. If you have seen it, see it again, or read the novel. Grade: A+

GIK
07-01-2005, 01:34 PM
For the ones I have seen:

Batman Begins: A
Mr. & Mrs. Smith: B
Star Wars III: B

Reds Fanatic
07-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Batman Begins: A+
Star Wars III: A
Cinderella Man: B+
Mr. and Mrs. Smith: B

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-01-2005, 02:14 PM
I see a ton of movies since my sister is a manager at a local Showcase Cinemas.

Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith: (A) The best of the three recent Star Wars films. The dual Obi Wan/Vader and Yoda/Palpatine battles was classic. It did a masterful job of tying the story together.

Longest Yard: (C) I never saw the original but this one was cute. Although it is somewhat disturbing that the audience (including me) pulls so hard for murderous convicts to kick the crap out of their prison guards. Since I'm so ready for football to start (thanks Reds), this movie was well-timed.

Mr. & Mrs.: (B) Great action movie. Brad Pitt is one of my favorites and this role fits him well. I thought it ended prematurely and it didn't develop the story far enough after they accepted who it was that they were and that they would work together.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: (B-) I was forced into this one by my girlfriend. It wasn't bad at all. It's the story of four longtime friends who go their separate ways during summer for the first time. The movie then divides into four mini-stories centered around a shared pair of jeans.

Herbie: (D) I thought Lindsay Lohan was pretty bad in this movie. The '64 VW bug is clearly the star here.

Bewitched: (F) A huge disappointment for me. As a fan of the original TV series, this one had almost no sense of attachment or nostalgia. It was more about Will Farrel's character as a failed actor being cast into the hapless role of Darren. No cameos from original Bewitched cast members (although there probably aren't many left). Only Aunt Clara and Uncle Arthur, along with Samantha's parents, are in the movie -- despite an original cast of dozens. And Will Farrel wasn't funny in his role. An insult to a great TV series. Hopefully, if they ever remake "I Dream of Jeanie" it is done the right way with respect to the original story.

War of the Worlds: (A) I am a big fan of special effects and this one has plenty. The alien "Tripod" machines were intimidating, and that was before I even saw what they could do. This movie has no slow parts...it flows well.

savafan
07-01-2005, 02:16 PM
War of the Worlds: (A) I am a big fan of special effects and this one has plenty. The alien "Tripod" machines were intimidating, and was before I even saw what they could do. This movie has no slow parts...it flows well.

Cool, I may have to check it out now. :thumbup:

RFS62
07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Batman Begins - A+

Star Wars III - A+

Jaycint
07-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Just saw Land of the Dead for the second time. I give it an A-. Couple parts of the script I would have done differently. The effects were ghoulishly great! :thumbup:

Johnny Footstool
07-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Just saw War of the Worlds. Not bad, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. Solid B.

LvJ
07-02-2005, 12:39 AM
out of 4 stars:

Batman Begins: 4/4

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: 3.5/4

Crash: 3.5/4

The Upside of Anger: 3.5/4

Constantine: 3/4

In Good Company: 3/4

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: 3/4

The I Inside: 3/4

Fever Pitchl: 3/4

Bride & Prejudice: 3/4

Elektra: 2.5/4

Mindhunters: 2/4

Assault on Precinct 13: 2/4

Creep: 2/4

Coach Carter :1.5/4

D.E.B.S.: 1/4

Because of Winn-Dixie: .5/4

Alone in the Dark: 0/4

Michael Allred
07-02-2005, 12:42 AM
Batman Begins; A
SW: Revenge of the Sith; A-
Land of the Dead; C

RedsBaron
07-02-2005, 08:42 AM
I've only been to three movies in the last couple of months.
Batman Begins: B+
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: B+
Sahara: C+

missionhockey21
07-02-2005, 02:38 PM
War of the Worlds: B+
Batman Begins: A
Cinderella Man: B-
Star Wars Episode 3: A-
The Longest Yard: D+

The Baumer
07-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Batman Begins - A
Land of the Dead - D

Casting was terrible. The zombies weren't scary or realistic looking. The plot made no sense. What went right?

fielder's choice
07-05-2005, 10:56 AM
War of the Worlds: F

Johnny Footstool
07-05-2005, 11:39 AM

Wow. I didn't think it was *that* bad. What didn't you like about it, fc?

bomarl1969
07-05-2005, 11:39 AM
1. Star Wars-I felt that Lucas left too many gaps between this one and episode IV. Loved it though. B-

2. Batman-Best one of all although I love the Keaton/Nicholson movie. A

3. War of the Worlds-Best movie I have seen this summer. A+

Crash Davis
07-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Mr. & Mrs.: (B) Great action movie. Brad Pitt is one of my favorites and this role fits him well. I thought it ended prematurely and it didn't develop the story far enough after they accepted who it was that they were and that they would work together.

My girlfriend picked up a bootleg copy of this movie over the weekend and goaded me into watching it last night (by showing me the cover with Angelina Jolie's revealing leg).

Well, I made it all the way through, which means it can't be worse than about 15-20 movies I've tried to watch and couldn't bring myself to finish. But it's in the next category above "couldn't finish because it was so unbearably horrible."

What an awful movie. Unbelievably lame plot. Willing suspension of disbelief rendered impossible by the action and said lame plot. Pitt & Jolie both mailed it in.

Grade: D-

Crash Davis
07-05-2005, 12:05 PM
In Good Company: 3/4

I was disappointed by this one. I actually had to talk the girlfriend into seeing it (her reasoning: anything with Topher Grace in it can't be good). My reasoning: Scarlett Johannson is well worth the tradeoff.

Anyway, she ended up liking it, and I was very disappointed. I didn't even like Scarlett Johannson in it. That's even more disappointing.

I'd give it a C-

Crash Davis
07-05-2005, 12:10 PM
A Love Song for Bobby Long: B+

Starring John Travolta, Scarlett Johannson and some dude I don't know.

Good movie. Johannson is beautiful as usual.

Travolta and the other dude are drunk bibliophiles who are crashing at Johannson's mom's pad. Her mom dies, leaves the house to Johannson (unbeknownst to her) and the two guys hatch a scheme to stay in the house so they can continue their string of literature, drinking and avoidance of the past.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Land Of The Dead- B
Longest Yard- C
War Of The Worlds- A+++++++
Batman Begins- A

Puffy
07-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Batman Begins - A+

Star Wars III - A+

Geez, you sound like an easy grader. I wish I had you in college.

:mooner:

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-05-2005, 08:07 PM

??? Say what ???

I'm not saying that everyone has to agree on everything, but how can you justify giving this movie an F? It stayed true to H.G. Wells original story as much as possible, the suspense and action was intense for the first 3/4 of the movie, and the acting was superb. And those tripods were downright wickid. I've already seen this one twice.

The Baumer
07-05-2005, 10:50 PM
??? Say what ???

I'm not saying that everyone has to agree on everything, but how can you justify giving this movie an F? It stayed true to H.G. Wells original story as much as possible, the suspense and action was intense for the first 3/4 of the movie, and the acting was superb. And those tripods were downright wickid. I've already seen this one twice.

I wouldn't give the film an F, but more like a C-.

The movie had no plot.

It was a series of independant scenes that had little to do with the scenes that came before or after. You could cut the film into 15 pieces and re-arrange them and it would be the exact same film.

Also the ending was terrible.

You should be able to introduce the idea VISUALLY since this is a film and not a book. Spielberg chose to reveal the ending to us using a narrator's words. I think that was a terrible decision.

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2005, 01:08 AM
I agree with your points, Baumer. I thought the character development was rudimentary at best, I hated what they did with the son, and I hated the voiceover.

I did enjoy the movie on a visceral level -- it was very intense. But I got the feeling throughout that most of it was filmed in a cheap basement set, and too many of the "effects" consisted of multicolored blinking lights seen through a window. I was never immersed in the story.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Well WOTW was filmed rather quickly over 72 days in and around downtown Los Angeles. I believe the hasty schedule was so it could be in the theaters for the July 4 weekend.

As for the plot and some other complaints, I agree that Spielberg took several liberties with the filming of scenes. But the original story was generally followed, including the much-maligned ending.

fielder's choice
07-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Wow. I didn't think it was *that* bad. What didn't you like about it, fc?

It was boring to me. I wasn't the least bit enticing. It started out OK with the big lightning storm, but after those gay tripods came out it was all downhill from there. All it was was a bunch of special effects, and that doesnt impress me. It didn't explain anything, like who they were and why they were here, and it was just lame, IMO.

HotCorner
07-06-2005, 05:11 PM
those gay tripods

Damn! I didn't know tripods have a sexual preference/identity.

Rojo
07-06-2005, 06:20 PM
I hate most summer blockbusters but I dug WOTW. The plot "problem" is part-and-parcel of the original story. As for story. Who cares? Its about alien tripods killing people with deathrays. What do you want? Checkov? I appreciate the fact that Spielberg didn't waste my time with a lot of hoey.

Falls City Beer
07-06-2005, 06:27 PM
I hate most summer blockbusters but I dug WOTW. The plot "problem" is part-and-parcel of the original story. As for story. Who cares? Its about alien tripods killing people with deathrays. What do you want? Checkov? I appreciate the fact that Spielberg didn't waste my time with a lot of hoey.

I enjoyed it too. Except for Tom Cruise...he always looks like he's about to defecate.

Jaycint
07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
...he always looks like he's about to defecate.

Lately he has been making a habit of doing that out his mouth.