PDA

View Full Version : Rove Blew CIA Agent's Cover

RBA
07-02-2005, 01:08 PM
07.02.2005 Lawrence O'Donnell (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html)

<H2> (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html)Rove Blew CIA Agent's Cover (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html)

I revealed in yesterday's taping of the McLaughlin Group that Time magazine's emails will reveal that Karl Rove was Matt Cooper's source. I have known this for months but didn't want to say it at a time that would risk me getting dragged into the grand jury.

McLaughlin is seen in some markets on Friday night, so some websites have picked it up, including Drudge, but I don't expect it to have much impact because McLaughlin is not considered a news show and it will be pre-empted in the big markets on Sunday because of tennis.

Since I revealed the big scoop, I have had it reconfirmed by yet another highly authoritative source. Too many people know this. It should break wide open this week. I know Newsweek is working on an 'It's Rove!' story and will probably break it tomorrow.

Posted at 11:40 AM | (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html)email this post to a friend (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html#emailthispost)| (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html)permalink (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html)| (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html)comments (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html#comments)

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/lawrence-odonnell/rove-blew-cia-agents-cov_3556.html)</H2>

Time for a fair trial and death by hanging afterwards.

M2
07-02-2005, 01:18 PM
He actually should be facing jail time for this one. It's a capital crime. BTW, I certainly hope he never let Bush know what he did. That would be Chuck Colson level stupidity.

What should be most fascinating though is watching the President and Republican Congress do their utmost to ignore it.

RBA
07-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Well, a capital crime at the least. Closer to treason in my opinion.

pedro
07-02-2005, 01:31 PM
But don't you guys understand? He didn't commit a crime. The CIA agent was a Democrat.

pedro
07-02-2005, 01:39 PM
What should be most fascinating though is watching the President and Republican Congress do their utmost to ignore it.

as well as some folks around here.

RBA
07-02-2005, 01:54 PM
The same folks for the "rule of law" ? I guess lying about an unprofessional relationship is the "bar" in some peoples minds. The Gold Standard. Did Rove lie about sex?

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 02:02 PM
We are all quoting him out of context. It is the liberal media. That's not what he meant. He's just telling it like it is so he shouldn't have to resign or apologize.
Look at what Bill Clinotn did. Look at what Jimmy Carter did. Al Gore invented the internet. John Kerry isn't a war hero. Bush doesn't care about polls, but just wait until you hear the poll numbers on gay marriage.

These guys would make George Orwell blush.

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 02:06 PM
as well as some folks around here.

Here comes the defense:

"Before we talk about Ted Kennedy, let me tell you about liberal media bias and Hillary Clinton and a land deal..."

RBA
07-02-2005, 02:09 PM
MSNBC Analyst Says 2nd Source Confirms Karl Rove as Plame Leaker

By Greg Mitchell

Published: July 02, 2005 1:00 PM ET

NEW YORK Now that Time Inc. has turned over documents to federal court, revealing who its reporter, Matt Cooper, identified as his source in the Valerie Plame/CIA case, speculation runs rampant on the name of that source. Lawrence O'Donnell, senior MSNBC political analyst, now claims that at least two sources have confirmed that the name is--top White House mastermind Karl Rove.

O'Donnell first offered this report Friday night on the syndicated McLaughlin Group political talk show. Today, he went beyond that, writing a brief entry at the Huffington Post blog:

"I revealed in yesterday's taping of the McLaughlin Group that Time magazine's e-mails will reveal that Karl Rove was Matt Cooper's source. I have known this for months but didn't want to say it at a time that would risk me getting dragged into the grand jury.

"McLaughlin is seen in some markets on Friday night, so some websites have picked it up, including Drudge, but I don't expect it to have much impact because McLaughlin is not considered a news show and it will be pre-empted in the big markets on Sunday because of tennis.

"Since I revealed the big scoop, I have had it reconfirmed by yet another highly authoritative source. Too many people know this. It should break wide open this week. I know Newsweek is working on an 'It's Rove!' story and will probably break it tomorrow."

Here is the text of what O'Donnell said on Friday:

"What we're going to go to now in the next stage, when Matt Cooper's e-mails, within Time Magazine, are handed over to the grand jury--the ultimate revelation, probably within the week of who his source is.

"I know I'm going to get pulled into the grand jury for saying this but the source of...for Matt Cooper was Karl Rove, and that will be revealed in this document dump that Time magazine's going to do with the grand jury."

Other McLaughlin Group panelists then joined in discussing whether, if true, this would suggest a perjury rap for Rove, if he told the grand jury he did not leak to Cooper.

Besides his career at a TV journalist, O'Donnell has served as a producer and writer for the series "The West Wing."

According to published reports, Patrick Fitzgerald, the special prosecutor in the case, has interviewed President Bush and Vice President Cheney and called Karl Rove, among others, to testify before the grand jury.

"The breadth of Fitzgerald's inquiry has led to speculation that it has evolved into an investigation of a conspiracy to leak Plame's identity," the Chicago Tribune observed on Friday, "or of an attempt to cover up White House involvement in the leak."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Mitchell (letters@editorandpublisher.com) is editor of E&P.

Links referenced within this article

letters@editorandpublisher.com
mailto:letters@editorandpublisher.com

Find this article at:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000972841

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 02:12 PM
MSNBC? Oh man, this isn't true until we hear it on Fox. Then I'll believe it.

M2
07-02-2005, 02:31 PM
"The breadth of Fitzgerald's inquiry has led to speculation that it has evolved into an investigation of a conspiracy to leak Plame's identity," the Chicago Tribune observed on Friday, "or of an attempt to cover up White House involvement in the leak."

Wow. I sincerely hope for everyone's sake that the Bush White House wasn't that stupid. I hold them in awfully low esteem, but even I never considered they'd go that low or be that colossally clueless.

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 02:51 PM
According to published reports, Patrick Fitzgerald, the special prosecutor in the case, has interviewed President Bush and Vice President Cheney and called Karl Rove, among others, to testify before the grand jury.

They better hope no one lied under oath, or the Republican Congress that holds truth so dear just might impeach someone. Yeah, right.

Redsfaithful
07-02-2005, 03:01 PM
2006 is becoming more and more important.

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Here's GAC's take on what Sandy Berger did with a CIA file. I'm sure it will be just as harsh on Karl Rove for blowing someone's cover.

... when you purposely pilfer from the National Archives, and then, "accidentally discard" highly classified terrorism documents that deal solely with the former adminstration inwhich you served.... then what are people to think/presume? No big deal?

What was in those documents that he felt he needed to go out on a limb and basically do such a STUPID act (and yes, a crime) by stealing and then destroying some of them?

Maybe some one can explain that to us all?

And maybe you can explain this to us all there big guy, since you are so interested in the law. :lol:

PickOff
07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
One of the main things to remember here is the Bush quote about the leak.

"If there's a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is," Bush told reporters at an impromptu news conference during a fund-raising stop in Chicago, Illinois. "If the person has violated law, that person will be taken care of.

"I welcome the investigation. I am absolutely confident the Justice Department will do a good job.

"I want to know the truth," the president continued. "Leaks of classified information are bad things."

He added that he did not know of "anybody in my administration who leaked classified information."

Bush said he has told his administration to cooperate fully with the investigation and asked anyone with knowledge of the case to come forward.

Looks like he chose his words pretty carefully here. 'If that person has violated law, that person will be taken care of.' Note he did not say will be punished or charged or expelled from his administration.

'Leaks of classified information are bad things' Bad things like what? A bad thing is something a child or dog does, you slap him on the wrist and move on.'

Sounds to me like he did know. Classic Bush administration lies, secrecy, endanger lives, shift blame, line pockets, and cover up.

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Bush said he has told his administration to cooperate fully with the investigation and asked anyone with knowledge of the case to come forward.

Yeah, and he also said he didn't know Ken Lay.

pedro
07-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I think I heard a pin drop.

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 03:40 PM
'Leaks of classified information are bad things' Bad things like what? A bad thing is something a child or dog does, you slap him on the wrist and move on.'

This is probably more of Bush's limited vocabulary and style than anything pre-determined. He called Al-Qaida "folks" and his quest to get them a "crusade." He thought the war was "hard work" and he thought the John Adam's biography was "good." :)

pedro
07-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, and he also said he didn't know Ken Lay.

You mean that Ken Lay?

Sorry, I always called him Kenny.

Ravenlord
07-02-2005, 04:04 PM
i'm amazed that none of our resident 'conservatives-to-a-fault' haven't said anything yet.

pedro
07-02-2005, 04:07 PM
i'm amazed that none of our resident 'conservatives-to-a-fault' haven't said anything yet.

I'm not.

pedro
07-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't know how credible it is, but I have read that as many as 90 of Valerie Plames contacts have been assassinated as a result of her being outed.

Her specialty was, by the way, weapons of mass destruction.

Feel safer now?

Ravenlord
07-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Feel safer now?don't feel much different now than i did when i was five. :)

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Feel safer now?

Pedro, you have it all wrong. It is the liberals- like Michael Moore, Dan Rather, and Newsweek- who hate this country and who do not want to fight terrorism and that do not make this world any safer. Valerie Plame herself is an evil liberal and she deserved what she got. You need to get on board, Pedro; you 'd make a lousy conservative. :)

Rove and Bush are going to go into full-blown denial if this report is true, by the way.

pedro
07-02-2005, 04:17 PM
IIRC, I'm scared to death of God too.

GAC
07-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Here's GAC's take on what Sandy Berger did with a CIA file. I'm sure it will be just as harsh on Karl Rove for blowing someone's cover.

Quote:
... when you purposely pilfer from the National Archives, and then, "accidentally discard" highly classified terrorism documents that deal solely with the former adminstration inwhich you served.... then what are people to think/presume? No big deal?

What was in those documents that he felt he needed to go out on a limb and basically do such a STUPID act (and yes, a crime) by stealing and then destroying some of them?

Maybe some one can explain that to us all?

And maybe you can explain this to us all there big guy, since you are so interested in the law.

Well big guy, if an investigation shows that it is indeed Karl Rove (or anyone else), then they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. As I have stated on here before - my political biases have never allowed me to look the other way at unethical/immoral behavior or the breaking of the law. Can some of my liberal friends say the same? ;)

I'm not.

Maybe because this is the first opportunity today that I've first seen this? Some of us have lives outside of this forum - like work :lol:

RBA
07-02-2005, 04:22 PM

What would they say? Something like????

You guys seem awful giddy. Don't you realize we are fighting terrorism all over the world and anything that Karl Rove did was meant to esnure we beat them. I glad he did it, because without the trump up evidence of WMD, we couldn't get the American people behind us to do what needed to be done and that is to destroy the terrorist that attacked us on 9/11 who are living in Iraq. You Democrats aren't patriotic to be bringing these untrue allegations up. Even if President Bush is involved in the coverup, he acted appropiately by standing behind his people.

Note: Grammatical Errors are my own and not meant as a slam on Republicans. ;)

Ravenlord
07-02-2005, 04:24 PM
What would they say? i think something like what GAC said :D

pedro
07-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Good for you GAC. :)

Although I'll stay away from the "immoral" part of your statement. Immorality is too subjective. Many of us believe that what Bush has done is much more immoral that what Clinton did, although many here would disagree.

Dom Heffner
07-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Can some of my liberal friends say the same?

Probably not. We're liberals, remember? :)

GAC
07-02-2005, 04:47 PM
What would they say? Something like????

You guys seem awful giddy. Don't you realize we are fighting terrorism all over the world and anything that Karl Rove did was meant to esnure we beat them. I glad he did it, because without the trump up evidence of WMD, we couldn't get the American people behind us to do what needed to be done and that is to destroy the terrorist that attacked us on 9/11 who are living in Iraq. You Democrats aren't patriotic to be bringing these untrue allegations up. Even if President Bush is involved in the coverup, he acted appropiately by standing behind his people.

Note: Grammatical Errors are my own and not meant as a slam on Republicans. ;)

Well- again you're wrong. ;)

GAC
07-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Probably not. We're liberals, remember? :)

Hey! Why can't I make assumptions? I'm reading all type of assumptions being made on here about what conservatives would say once they read this. And they are all wrong.

But it had me laughing. :lol:

LvJ
07-02-2005, 04:57 PM
:laugh: @ the Liberals thinking they're being all so witty when they're not. Why is this thread still open? Bunch of people acting like complete jerks and 3rd graders in an arguement. Lets all get together in one thread and bash the other sides members like there's no tomorrow and no line of dignity! Who cares if it's true or not! Let's just have our way with assumptions! YAY! Loooooooovely.

RBA
07-02-2005, 05:00 PM
:laugh: @ the Liberals thinking they're being all so witty when they're not. Why is this thread still open? Bunch of people acting like complete jerks and 3rd graders in an arguement. Lets all get together in one thread and bash the other sides members like there's no tomorrow and no line of dignity! Who cares if it's true or not! Let's just have our way with assumptions! YAY! Loooooooovely.

Get a grip.

Reds4Life
07-02-2005, 05:00 PM

I agree, wagging this in peopleís faces like it's a game of gotcha isn't very mature. This is a very serious issue, lets treat it that way. I tend to be pretty conservative, but if it's proven Rove did this, I hope he spends some time behind bars.

RBA
07-02-2005, 05:05 PM
We all know by past history what the republicans are thinking. Just because they are afraid to post it, doesn't make it not so.

LvJ
07-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I tend to be pretty conservative, but if it's proven Rove did this, I hope he spends some time behind bars. No doubt about it. Hell, I'm for his head on a tray if it's true, and from what I've read - it sounds like it's true.

LvJ
07-02-2005, 05:06 PM
We all know by past history what the republicans are thinking. Just because they are afraid to post it, doesn't make it not so. Smooth, there buddy.

pedro
07-02-2005, 05:06 PM
deleted.

pedro
07-02-2005, 05:07 PM
No doubt about it. Hell, I'm for his head on a tray if it's true, and from what I've read - it sounds like it's true.

fair enough.

LvJ
07-02-2005, 05:08 PM
You mean like Karl Rove saying the liberals in congress wanting to give the terrorists therapy after 9/11?

Is that the type of "dignified" commentary you're looking for? http://raisedbykubrick.com/smilies/hsughnewsflash.gif Go ahead and search for anything good said about Karl Rove by yours truly. You won't find a thing.

RBA
07-02-2005, 05:08 PM
Same ole stuff we heard about WMD. Remember, "If WMDs aren't found, I'll never support this President again." Tell us another one. ;)

pedro
07-02-2005, 05:13 PM
http://raisedbykubrick.com/smilies/hsughnewsflash.gif Go ahead and search for anything good said about Karl Rove by yours truly. You won't find a thing.

like I said, fair enough.

LvJ
07-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Same ole stuff we heard about WMD. Remember, "If WMDs aren't found, I'll never support this President again." Tell us another one. ;) Excuse me? http://raisedbykubrick.com/smilies/ugh2.gif

pedro
07-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Same ole stuff we heard about WMD. Remember, "If WMDs aren't found, I'll never support this President again." Tell us another one. ;)

To be fair to LVJ, IIRC, that was not him.

RBA
07-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Excuse me? http://raisedbykubrick.com/smilies/ugh2.gif

Are you saying many Republicans didn't say that? And than not backpedaled?

GAC
07-02-2005, 05:19 PM

Show me where any conservative on this forum said this? You can't. I did state at one time that if it was discovered, via an investigation, that this administration had purposely and with premeditation lied and fabricated evidence/intelligence in order to deceive the American people, then this President should be held accountable. And it's never been proven. Even the 9-11 Commission investigated and stated that. And I still don't think this President/adminstration did. You do; but that's what partisanship is all about. :lol:

Again RBA - you want this Prez held accountable over the lack of WMD; but you say nothing of your own leadership that was saying the very same things (they were the first to use the term "WMD"), before Bush was in office, and after he was elected. Why?

You accuse conservatives of wanting to make excuses (especialy on this thread with the Rove situation), and yet I've shown you where I stand.

So what is your excuse with Democratic leadership and WMD? Or do we need to go down this road again? :lol:

LvJ
07-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Are you saying many Republicans didn't say that? And than not backpedaled? Sorry, I don't speak for other people like you are fond of. Not sure why you continue to do so in this thread either.. give it up and let other people form an opinion on the situation. Oh, and no - that's not where you stop either - try to respect it as well. Kthx.

M2
07-02-2005, 05:20 PM
I agree, wagging this in peopleís faces like it's a game of gotcha isn't very mature. This is a very serious issue, lets treat it that way. I tend to be pretty conservative, but if it's proven Rove did this, I hope he spends some time behind bars.

I agree it's no reason for celebration and I applaud you for recognizing the gravity of the situation.

My fear is whether Rove did this of his own accord and kept it to himself afterward. The one has the potential to break containment real fast. For instance, if Rove sent the e-mail from inside the White House then White House CIO Carlos Solari should have been able to uncover it without much trouble. All it required was a mail target search and they'd have uncovered the leak. The information would be stored in the network at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. If Solari knows, then his boss Andy Card, Bush's Chief of Staff, has to know. Then the question becomes "How on earth didn't the President know about this if all of his closest aides did?" Obviously that's just a scenario. Rove might not have done it from the White House premises or on a remote device that he brought back and forth from the premises. I'm just trying to illustrate how quickly this sort of thing can take a turn down a really ugly alley.

RBA
07-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Show me where any conservative on this forum said this? You can't. I did state at one time that if it was discovered, via an investigation, that this administration had purposely and with premeditation lied and fabricated evidence/intelligence in order to deceive the American people, then this President should be held accountable. And it's never been proven. Even the 9-11 Commission investigated and stated that. And I still don't think this President/adminstration did.

Again RBA - you want this Prez held accountable over the lack of WMD; but you say nothing of your own leadership that was saying the very same things (they were the first to use the term "WMD"), before Bush was in office, and after he was elected. Why?

You accuse conservatives of wanting to make excuses (especialy on this thread with the Rove situation), and yet I've shown you where I stand.

So what is your excuse with Democratic leadership and WMD? Or do we need to go down this road again? :lol:

See: The Office of Special Plans

And now the Downing Street Memos.

Are you in denial they did not exist? The evidence was manufactured and you are still in denial.

GAC
07-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Sorry, I don't speak for other people like you are fond of. Not sure why you continue to do so in this thread either.. give it up and let other people form an opinion on the situation.

They can't. They've already informed us how we think. Get with the program! :lol:

LvJ
07-02-2005, 05:23 PM
They can't. They've already informed us how we think. Get with the program! :lol:http://raisedbykubrick.com/otherstuff/POLITICSLOL.gif

RBA
07-02-2005, 05:24 PM
If you guys are for finding out the truth. How about some Letters to the Editors and calls to your congressmen. And how about some pressure on the "liberal media" to cover the story. Put up or shut up time.

RBA
07-02-2005, 05:26 PM
http://raisedbykubrick.com/otherstuff/POLITICSLOL.gif

I guess it's not only the liberals who are acting like 3 year olds on this thread. ;)

LvJ
07-02-2005, 05:27 PM
I guess it's not only the liberals who are acting like 3 year olds on this thread. ;) Good job finding the irony and sarcasm there buddy.

Reds4Life
07-02-2005, 05:33 PM
This is the last warning Iím giving, discuss this like adults or donít participate.

LvJ
07-02-2005, 05:41 PM
This is the last warning Iím giving, discuss this like adults or donít participate. Very little chance of that happening after the way the thread started, but good luck!

I, however, am going to sleep. Gotta work tonight.

GAC
07-02-2005, 05:47 PM
If you guys are for finding out the truth. How about some Letters to the Editors and calls to your congressmen. And how about some pressure on the "liberal media" to cover the story. Put up or shut up time.

Oh pul-lease! The media (liberal or conservative) doesn't need our help! What are we gonna tell or show them that they don't already know or haven't already discovered? :lol:

And I'm sure that my liberal friends on here were in a letter writing frenzy when anyone in their party broke the law or did anything unethical. ;)

Ok. Does this express my disgust enough over this whole situation?

http://img.citypages.com/imagebank/articles/855/855theater.GIF

Johnny Footstool
07-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I agree that this thread should be closed. It quickly degenerated into a mean-spirited squabble with no intelligent discussion of the issue. And as glad as I am that Karl Rove is going to burn for this, we don't need the taunting.

I'm in favor of shutting this thread down and opening a new one on this topic.

Reds4Life
07-02-2005, 05:58 PM
I agree that this thread should be closed. It quickly degenerated into a mean-spirited squabble with no intelligent discussion of the issue. And as glad as I am that Karl Rove is going to burn for this, we don't need the taunting.

I'm in favor of shutting this thread down and opening a new one on this topic.

Sounds like a good plan to me Johnny, if you would like to do the honors reposting it, go for it. :)